Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304361 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1770 on: July 24, 2020, 11:35:58 PM »
Serious question here

Do you guys tell your coworkers or friends that you skate?

Friends and coworkers of family can be pretty painful. I was on crutches after ankle surgery at my brother's place and he had a safety inspector from his company over for dinner. The guy asked about my injury, then asked if I would still keep skateboarding if/when I got better. I said yes and he said isn't that nice, your public healthcare pays for you to keep hurting yourself. He thought it was real funny. It sucked but at the end of the day that guy works for an oil extraction company that is polluting the planet, and some part of me thinks all least half of my decisions are better than half of his, so fuck it. Anyway, sounds like you have decided that being a skater lowers your social status and you don't want that. Makes sense, but personally I don't really believe in recipes to success, there's always a cost to being yourself, no matter who you are.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1771 on: July 25, 2020, 08:10:07 AM »
No....maybe a few, but it's work....who gives a shit.  I don't know how many kids each has...or their names.. I don't really care and I don't think they care that I don't know that.  They probably don't know that I'm Japanese either....they probably think I'm Chinese....don't care. 

It's 2020....they all think skating is cool now anyhow....guess how I feel about that? 

I do and have done all the shit: working out, yoga, running, hiking, Im suppose to buy a road bike and be that guy?  Fuck that....

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #1772 on: July 26, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »
First up, Glurmpz, handsclapanin and untilthewheelsfalloff those clips were all amazing. I was joking with a friend that I should do a "4.7 tricks at 47" clip so those were a mental kick in the ass to get out more.

As for friends and co-workers?  Friends - of course, thats what you do with friends, talk about things. Co-workers...some, but not all as I don't think the person waiting for my ESC inspection report really cares, and I'm fine with that.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #1773 on: August 02, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
What we gonna do right now is go back...

Check out slim and trim Phil encroaching on the course. Fuckin’ skate dads

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1774 on: August 02, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »

This was wild! Great post man

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1775 on: August 02, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Phil looks so virile!

Who are skaters 1 and 3 and where was this?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #1776 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1777 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Phil looks so virile!

Who are skaters 1 and 3 and where was this?

Man. That red Scirocco in the background...

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #1778 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:12 PM »
skated some vert this weekend, or tried to anyway. Shit is hard, much respect to all the vert dads out there.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1779 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:05 AM »
Holy shit, Glurmpz and untilthewheelsfalloff you guys are killing it!
Serious inspiration!

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #1780 on: August 09, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »

Wish: to film some skating
Challenges: no one to film; skate friends have retired...limited time; baby's nap time
Solution: go behind house and create illusion line

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #1781 on: August 09, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »
Dont blow no bubbles...dude, my son has a little donkey (we call him Bro Burro) like that and Ive been skating it too. Crazy.

To the guy that mentioned the lame comment from the (lame) safety inspector: I am a safety guy too. I look at skating like this: We are grown ass dudes with experience riding a skateboard so if we accept the risk, it is what it is. Injuries will happen no matter what you do. What anyone does in their time away from work isn’t for me to worry about.

Now put on your hardhat!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1782 on: August 09, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »

Challenges: no one to film; skate friends have retired...limited time; baby's nap time
Hell yeah man! I know that story all too well.

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #1783 on: August 10, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »
Thanks.  I would've loved to do this, but my 40+-year-old-legs don't have it in them.  Come to think of it, my legs never had it in them.  Thanks for the playing-with-toys inspiration anyway, Sheffey.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1784 on: August 20, 2020, 07:10:14 AM »

Awesome! Love the illusion lines.
Ive be getting quite bored skating alone this summer, but hey Im having fun. I think a little skate atmosphere would help me out sometimes...

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1785 on: September 03, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
Set Up: (4): 7.5 w/ Venture 5.0 Lo and 52mm SF
                  7.81 w/ Indy 129 standard and 52 mm SF
                  8.12 w/ Indy 139 standard and 44 mm boardycakes
                  8.18 w/ Venture Lo 5.2 and 52mm SF
Preferred Terrain: underground parking lots, curbs, ledges and especially banks (banked areas and/or actual banks with money inside of them. they usually have good stuff)
Favorite skaters: Speyer, Mullen, Way , Mariano, Lotti, Klein, Mountain, Carroll, Jason Rogers, Gino, Lennie Kirk, Cardiel, Heath, Atchley
Music: Pink Floyd, Slayer, Cro-Mags, Sheer Terror, Gwar, Beethoven, Cat Stevens, Suicidal Tendencies
Married: Yes, 10 year anniversary this month
Kids: I have 1 kids

I go through a nostalgia board/ truck madness every year around this time, which makes me want:
skinny boards with ventures (mid 90s Girl)
football shape with tiny wheels (Plan B Questionable)
And I flip flop back and forth between Indys and Ventures. I was a pure Indy rider (minus 6 months during Questionable era where I wanted to be Sheffey so I had Ventures), until Stage 9 Indys, then rode Ventures until stage X, and have kinda dipped back and forth since. I also like boards under 8, but I bought that new Gino FA board because it is the dope show. (I am already panicking about the trucks , which is a normal day in the life)

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #1786 on: September 09, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
Still 38, until November...

Enjoyed a week off at home last week, was fun.
Mini homage to some of my favourite skaters.

Found this lovely bank to curb in a new skatepark here this morning and danced a bit too.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1787 on: September 09, 2020, 03:00:57 PM »
that was a badass double set of clips
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

franc

« Reply #1788 on: September 09, 2020, 03:32:07 PM »
Thank you!

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #1789 on: September 09, 2020, 04:11:18 PM »
Oh to be 38 again;)  Nice work.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1790 on: September 09, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
I've skated every day for the last 8 days and I'm strangely in no pain. I swear it hurt more at 35, ten years ago. Not sure what I am doing different. Less booze, better diet, I don't know but I'm riding this wave till the end.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1791 on: September 09, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »
PS some great clips in this thread of recent.

franc

« Reply #1792 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:01 AM »
I've skated every day for the last 8 days and I'm strangely in no pain. I swear it hurt more at 35, ten years ago. Not sure what I am doing different. Less booze, better diet, I don't know but I'm riding this wave till the end.

Oh yes, less booze and a better diet do make a world of difference!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1793 on: September 12, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
I need some old guy advice..I am getting to skate more lately, and now I am starting to progress again and straye away from all my safe "go to tricks". Unfortunately now I am also ending up way more sore than normal. I'm not taking more slams, just using different muscles because I'm trying different tricks maybe? All my shit is relatively low impact skating, and I always do basic stretches for about 10 minutes prior to a session. I am wondering what you guys do pre session to avoid some of the inevitable old guy soreness.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #1794 on: September 12, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »
I need some old guy advice..I am getting to skate more lately, and now I am starting to progress again and straye away from all my safe "go to tricks". Unfortunately now I am also ending up way more sore than normal. I'm not taking more slams, just using different muscles because I'm trying different tricks maybe? All my shit is relatively low impact skating, and I always do basic stretches for about 10 minutes prior to a session. I am wondering what you guys do pre session to avoid some of the inevitable old guy soreness.

What I do is do some dynamic stretches before I skate, and I jump rope for a few minutes. Dynamic stretches are supposed to be done before your exercise, and static stretches are supposed to be done afterward. But usually I'll throw in some static stretches like touching my toes beforehand as well to warm up my legs. And at the beginning of the session I just cruise around and do reverts for a few minutes to warm up further on my board.

I also try to focus on the side of my body that gets sore more easily, and try to stretch it out further/stronger before I skate just to try and be safer.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1795 on: September 12, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What I do is do some dynamic stretches before I skate, and I jump rope for a few minutes. Dynamic stretches are supposed to be done before your exercise, and static stretches are supposed to be done afterward. But usually I'll throw in some static stretches like touching my toes beforehand as well to warm up my legs. And at the beginning of the session I just cruise around and do reverts for a few minutes to warm up further on my board.

I also try to focus on the side of my body that gets sore more easily, and try to stretch it out further/stronger before I skate just to try and be safer.
Lol Aparantly I have only been doing static streches (I had to look up what those even were just now) before skating. Thank you man, I will look into dynamic stretches before I skate again. Much appreciated advice!

nevrwasben

« Reply #1796 on: September 12, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All of that. +the below works for me.
Drink A LOT of water the night before and during/after session, bananas & coconut water are good too (potassium).
Take an Aleve after to help with muscle inflammation.
If you can afford it, buy one of this percussion massagers. You can get a good one for around $80 on Amazon

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1797 on: September 12, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
I don't stretch before skateboarding. I just try and stretch throughout the week. But a warm up helps. I ride my bike to spots and that feels good. Also, spend some time just pushing around (or if in a  park lots of carving and pumping) before I really get into it. Hydration. Not boozing while skateboarding. Stretch afterward seems to be more useful for me than stretching beforehand.

Last year, I would session long and hard on a weekend day and then have days of back or knee pain. Since the Pandemic, I'm skateboarding way more frequently but for shorter sessions. I think this helps also. I love growing old on my skateboard.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #1798 on: September 12, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm only skating once or twice a month. I'm still ok but my Ollie is trash now which basically kills my confidence especially on ledges.I almost feel like I have to train to get it back which frankly I won't do  :(

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1799 on: September 12, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
I'm only skating once or twice a month. I'm still ok but my Ollie is trash now which basically kills my confidence especially on ledges.I almost feel like I have to train to get it back which frankly I won't do  :(
I'm doing the opposite. There is a squat rack and a deadlift spot in my basement. I do a set, skate a bit, repeat. I refuse to let my legs wither from disuse. I'm not lifting heavy (165 lb for squat) so I don't get too big.