Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301595 times)

stephop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1800 on: September 12, 2020, 03:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm only skating once or twice a month. I'm still ok but my Ollie is trash now which basically kills my confidence especially on ledges.I almost feel like I have to train to get it back which frankly I won't do  :(
[close]
I'm doing the opposite. There is a squat rack and a deadlift spot in my basement. I do a set, skate a bit, repeat. I refuse to let my legs wither from disuse. I'm not lifting heavy (165 lb for squat) so I don't get too big.

I don't mean train like that. I mean like throw down a knee high box or something and just go back and forth and ollie it over and over until I can do it lazily without much effort at a decent speed. At 44 it's impossible for me to just hop out of a car an get going my legs going. It takes a while.  I'm sure that has a direct correlation to flat out not skating much obviously which = lack of confidence and committing to tricks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1801 on: September 12, 2020, 06:10:07 PM »
Oh yeah, when you roll up to the ledge and know you need to 50-50 it, but you just keep doing the same shitty noseslides....

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1802 on: September 12, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
Oh yeah, when you roll up to the ledge and know you need to 50-50 it, but you just keep doing the same shitty noseslides....

Ledges? What are you tryin’ to get yourself hurt?

If I can’t roll onto it I ain’t skating it.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1803 on: September 12, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
Nowadays, I need an hour of that before I can tell if jumping around is in the cards for that day.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1804 on: September 12, 2020, 10:00:13 PM »
I'm 35 and haven't skated much in the past couple years because of some low back issues that came following some cervical herniations. It looks like that stuff is finally working out though. I was out for a bike ride a while back and found a cruiser complete in the bushes so i scooped it up, rode to an empty parking lot and did some fast ollies onto sidewalks and felt good.

If any of y'all know about the psoas muscle and have had issues with it, mine was locked short and the fascia was super, super dry. For at least 2 years it felt like my right side low rib cage was being pulled toward the hip, subsequently tweaking everything on that side. Pushing alone felt like i was being wrung out like a dry rag.

I was in 300hr yoga teacher training based in yin and restorative techniques, with a strong emphasis on working 1:1 with folks rehabbing from injuries and for one of the modules we went to a park and learned how to walk for the afternoon. I know it sounds crazy but after making an effort to walk in the anatomically correct way, my pain level has dropped, I can run, jump, shoot baskets, and I think I can skate. I'll also say that for those of us who ride bikes, riding fixed gear has been an incredible mode of healing my low back and subsequent weak/tight hamstrings. Now I've just gotta drop 10 more lbs and I'll be ollieing up 3 sets again ha ha ha
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1805 on: September 13, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
Cycling def helps. Brakeless fixed did not help me. Skid stops and skips felt awful on the knees and back.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1806 on: September 13, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
Cycling def helps. Brakeless fixed did not help me. Skid stops and skips felt awful on the knees and back.

I feel you. I've been skid stopping less and learning to gradually slow with the push/pull. I live in a pretty rural area though, so i've generally got room to ride like that.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1807 on: September 13, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
I'm 35 and haven't skated much in the past couple years because of some low back issues that came following some cervical herniations. It looks like that stuff is finally working out though. I was out for a bike ride a while back and found a cruiser complete in the bushes so i scooped it up, rode to an empty parking lot and did some fast ollies onto sidewalks and felt good.

If any of y'all know about the psoas muscle and have had issues with it, mine was locked short and the fascia was super, super dry. For at least 2 years it felt like my right side low rib cage was being pulled toward the hip, subsequently tweaking everything on that side. Pushing alone felt like i was being wrung out like a dry rag.

I was in 300hr yoga teacher training based in yin and restorative techniques, with a strong emphasis on working 1:1 with folks rehabbing from injuries and for one of the modules we went to a park and learned how to walk for the afternoon. I know it sounds crazy but after making an effort to walk in the anatomically correct way, my pain level has dropped, I can run, jump, shoot baskets, and I think I can skate. I'll also say that for those of us who ride bikes, riding fixed gear has been an incredible mode of healing my low back and subsequent weak/tight hamstrings. Now I've just gotta drop 10 more lbs and I'll be ollieing up 3 sets again ha ha ha

I would love to hear more about the yoga if you want to talk about it here or if i could PM you. I have neck, shoulder, upper, middle and lower back, knee problems in addition to auto immune disease and organ problem. Haven’t been able to skate without severe pain for years, haven’t skated at all in about 6 months because it’s gotten so bad.  I’ve been doing yoga everyday since quarantine started and it felt like it was helping but i’m hitting a wall. Any help or guidance at all is appreciated.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1808 on: September 13, 2020, 11:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you. I've been skid stopping less and learning to gradually slow with the push/pull. I live in a pretty rural area though, so i've generally got room to ride like that.

For sure. I still love riding fixed when I am not dealing with traffic. Sure its fun but it just tenses up my whole body.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1809 on: September 14, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Anyone else get basically offended when the "old guy crew" at the park (full pads, TSOL on a blue tooth speaker, 11" boards, skating only a bowl, and skating it like its a backyard crew) try to recruit you and pal around with you?

I went to skate with my son (11, getting more confident, but definitely still in phase 1 of learning park skating and ettiquite) yesterday and these dudes were playing up the "old guy" thing so hard and recruiting me for their crew and giving me merch and stuff for their little club...its like, I get it, but I will never understand the assumption that is "here is an old guy with his kid! he's wearing a punk tee shirt and all black and vans! he must become one of us!" No actually I want to just dork around with my son and have fun with him and I dont even own pads. Im not trying to join the old guy crew...I'm actually thinking about skating the curb manual pad in the parking lot or the quarterpipe.

I think there is a real and significant difference between growing old and aging and learning to deal with it gracefully, and then going full-barrel into owning it and making it a part of your personality or how you appear to other people. I am happy to be in the first group, I dont really want to be in the second. The assumption that Hosoi is my favorite skater because I have some grey hair is just really, really weird. (no offense to Hosoi, he's amazing, but Ricky Oyola is my favorite skater of all time).

Is this mostly just a CA thing? Or does this happen everywhere?

ok thanks

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1810 on: September 15, 2020, 01:52:14 AM »
I think it's mostly a Cali thing....and it sounds better than what I usually see at parks: almost nobody over the age of 25. Really makes you feel ancient...

edit: your "one of us" line really made me think of this!!   :-X :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Bnk6VU53Y

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1811 on: September 15, 2020, 08:06:46 AM »
Try those foam rollers for soreness the day afte or better yet after a skate - They can really help - No need for the bumpy nimply ones - smooth ones work great. Ill have to try the lots of water trick the night before. I aslo use those elastic bands for my hips and knees and stuff - work quite well. I usually try to band up the night before a session, usually helps. Give Dr Kyle Brown a follow on the Insta. He skates and does physio type of stuff. Great little vids and streches. Its free too :)

Been biking tons this year too - I cheated and bought a pedal assist- Super handy / loads of fun, and doesnt burn the legs out too much on my rides to the spot (10 km each way). Got pannier bags and stuff too, so no more board tied to the backpack and I carry all my crap in there. Soo good.I def recommed the pannier bags (and the pedal assist) on a bike. Its a really nice way to warm up, and it actually takes me as long to bike to the skate spot vs driving (cause of traffic and parking). Really nice and refreshing.

And Jsoy - hear you on the noselside - It has become my go to trick, but I learnt them frontside this summer, and am pretty happy about that. Trying to 270 shuf out of the regs one (I mean b/s n/s) for now... 

Big Dave - I almost ordered on of theose old man skate crew tess from tjhose guys on Insta. The homeless dudes at the skate spot have nicknamed me "Old Man skater", so I thought the tee would be perfect. Id love to run into old dudes at the spot, but I mainly skate solo. People dont skate my spot much these days. I really dont get it. Theyd rather skate a skatepark, then a legit legal street spot.

Take care boys, hope all is well with you guys...

Oh, and Iusedtoskatemore - Please elaborate on your Yoga / Yin practices...Thanks!

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
« Reply #1812 on: September 15, 2020, 01:39:27 PM »
Is 30 old? been skating since 2001 but feel like i have been progressing faster the last 5 years then i ever have. Definitely feel more sore after a sesh then i did ten years ago but feel more focused and determined to try and learn new shit everyday. My younger 20 year old homies call me old but ive got older homies in their 40s still gettin it. Cant escape responsibilities and shit with each passing year but that dont mean you gotta stop progressing skate-wise.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1813 on: September 16, 2020, 12:02:33 PM »
I focused my first ever deck last night.  I’m 42.  Had a hissy fit and the fucker snapped perfectly, first try.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1814 on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
Is 30 old? been skating since 2001 but feel like i have been progressing faster the last 5 years then i ever have. Definitely feel more sore after a sesh then i did ten years ago but feel more focused and determined to try and learn new shit everyday. My younger 20 year old homies call me old but ive got older homies in their 40s still gettin it. Cant escape responsibilities and shit with each passing year but that dont mean you gotta stop progressing skate-wise.

At 30 we're in that delicate ether in between

Glurmpz

« Reply #1815 on: September 16, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »
Hello fellow old people, here is a teaser for a video I'm working on that will feature plenty of other fellow old people. Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFNVEHbFtLW/

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1816 on: September 17, 2020, 05:59:29 AM »
Looks good Grumpz. I really wish I had a skate crew. You guys out west seem to have it all.

Ill keep working on my solo tripod Iphone edit....

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1817 on: September 17, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would love to hear more about the yoga if you want to talk about it here or if i could PM you. I have neck, shoulder, upper, middle and lower back, knee problems in addition to auto immune disease and organ problem. Haven’t been able to skate without severe pain for years, haven’t skated at all in about 6 months because it’s gotten so bad.  I’ve been doing yoga everyday since quarantine started and it felt like it was helping but i’m hitting a wall. Any help or guidance at all is appreciated.

if you have been doing yoga online I would recommend joining a class in the real world - a good yoga teacher will teach you how to get into poses correctly. ( if real world classes exist at the moment, I'm not sure )

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1818 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »

No. I convinced myself I was old between 25 and 30 and that was a mistake. I felt like shit. I stopped caring in my mid-30s and started to feel and skate better. I think it was largely a mental thing. I also changed my diet, which cleared my head and helped my energy and motivation.

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
« Reply #1819 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
Anyone ever had nerve pain in forearm while skating? Not often but sometimes, usually when first warming up at the park just when I pop i feel this tightness in my right forearm, dosent really hurt much but its such a weird feeling it throws me off if im trying flip tricks or even getting onto a ledge. Im goofy foot so its my lead arm and the tension goes away after skating around for 20 min but just want to prevent it from being a ongoing thing. I was thinking it may have been from dehydration or not stretching, though i always stretch my legs and hamstrings before skating but didnt have anything to drink other then coffee that morning.

Still out but now okay

• Rep: 9
  • Wear your mask!
« Reply #1820 on: September 19, 2020, 03:06:52 AM »
33 and just blew out my knee today. I was trying to fs board across a pyramid and my high top pumas just stuck to the masonite while my body twisted and I felt a huge pop and can't move or put pressure on my right leg. The CT scan revealed my patella slammed in to my tibia and broke it in to pieces. I will have an MRI soon and the doctor said I at least tore my meniscus. This sucks.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1821 on: September 19, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
I saw it more in California, now that I'm back in Ohio most old guys I know just skate without the need to be part.of a old guy crew

Anyone else get basically offended when the "old guy crew" at the park (full pads, TSOL on a blue tooth speaker, 11" boards, skating only a bowl, and skating it like its a backyard crew) try to recruit you and pal around with you?

I went to skate with my son (11, getting more confident, but definitely still in phase 1 of learning park skating and ettiquite) yesterday and these dudes were playing up the "old guy" thing so hard and recruiting me for their crew and giving me merch and stuff for their little club...its like, I get it, but I will never understand the assumption that is "here is an old guy with his kid! he's wearing a punk tee shirt and all black and vans! he must become one of us!" No actually I want to just dork around with my son and have fun with him and I dont even own pads. Im not trying to join the old guy crew...I'm actually thinking about skating the curb manual pad in the parking lot or the quarterpipe.

I think there is a real and significant difference between growing old and aging and learning to deal with it gracefully, and then going full-barrel into owning it and making it a part of your personality or how you appear to other people. I am happy to be in the first group, I dont really want to be in the second. The assumption that Hosoi is my favorite skater because I have some grey hair is just really, really weird. (no offense to Hosoi, he's amazing, but Ricky Oyola is my favorite skater of all time).

Is this mostly just a CA thing? Or does this happen everywhere?
Cocteau Twins

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1822 on: September 19, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »
33 and just blew out my knee today. I was trying to fs board across a pyramid and my high top pumas just stuck to the masonite while my body twisted and I felt a huge pop and can't move or put pressure on my right leg. The CT scan revealed my patella slammed in to my tibia and broke it in to pieces. I will have an MRI soon and the doctor said I at least tore my meniscus. This sucks.

Sorry to hear it. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #1823 on: September 19, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »
Anybody here have advice on some slappy maneuvers? I can fs slappy on (slightly) sloped red curbs but have a hard time on anything straight up and down. I recently moved and the only red curbs near me are the latter.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1824 on: September 19, 2020, 10:48:52 PM »
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Where/when does one cross the threshold into old age, skateboarding wise?
Is there a consensus?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1825 on: September 19, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Is there a consensus?

All about how you feel really.
In my mind it's 40+. Lower for people that havn't taken care of themselves and those that have suffered major injuries.

Vegetables

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1826 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »
I’m wondering the same. I’m 30 and none of the padded up bowl skater dudes are trying to recruit me at my local park. But also I’ve easily got 10 years on most other kids I see at the park. I’m just out here trying to maintain mediocre ledge tricks and telling high schoolers who Ricky oyola is when they ask about the board I’m skating currently.
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Is there a consensus?

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1827 on: September 20, 2020, 05:58:04 AM »
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Is there a consensus?
40+
If any 30-somethings disagree, wait til you hit 40...then you will understand.  :)

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #1828 on: September 20, 2020, 07:44:30 AM »
Hey y’all,
I see a lot of people in here talking about skating post injuries or after a hiatus. I’m 37 now, started skating ‘95 and definitely deal with lots of aches and pains these days. Below is something I posted in the Egg Shape thread, figured I’d post it here as well. I will add, I’ve found most of my back pain comes from my hip. I’ve got a lot of specific stretches that I do nowadays, and it definitely helped to focus on core strength. Anyways...

“I rocked a Krooked Cromer with some Thunder 149s and some Spitfire 80D wheels. I was coming off of a really bad back injury that had me off board for like 6-7 months. It was some of the worst constant pain I’ve ever had and it really fucked with my whole life. Needless to say I was pretty gunshy when I started pushing around again. Every time I went out on my regular board, I was so disheartened by how I felt. So I set up the Cromer as a way to not hold myself to any mental standard of skating. I would think “I’m just on a cruiser, so I don’t even have to try or do any tricks and it’s ok.” Before I even knew it a few weeks had gone by and I was rifling off Flatground tricks, cruising a bowl, hitting a bump to ledge... That setup helped me get back in the saddle so much that when I broke it doing some flip trick I bought another. Nowadays I skate my regular board again, but I have that setup (I swapped the 80Ds for some formula 4s) and still skate it a ton. I guess what I’m getting at with my long rambling story is; egg boards are fun as fuck & if you don’t like it as a regular setup, they make great fucking cruisers. Cheers y’all.”
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1829 on: September 20, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Is there a consensus?
[close]
40+
If any 30-somethings disagree, wait til you hit 40...then you will understand.  :)

But if you're in your 40's, you remember a day when skating in your 20's you were old so I'm sure you can relate to the guy.....

I'm in my 40's and don't notice the difference than when I was in my 30's.....it's a weird measuring stick but comparatively I feel better now than in my 30's because back then all the guys in their 20's and teens shredded.....now you roll up to a park and the skill level has actually gone down.....

I can tell you when you start feeling older...is when you aren't getting any better and your friends quit...that and obviously injuries.....I've seen those little protégés turn 15 and they aren't the kid their parents told them they'd be...and you can tell...they feel old.