Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301550 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1890 on: October 06, 2020, 01:25:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Solid part Matt, that was awesome!!

Cool spots, and looks like you and your crew are having a blast. Keep it up.

Im gonna go and try to find a wallride spot now. :)
[close]
Respect, that front nose on the handrail is inspiration.  I’m gonna go skate now
[close]

Excellent part.  Good spots, good music, and great skating.  Also love the variety.  And, of course, that handrail game is unfu$%withable, even more so given that you're 43.  Great watch.

damn, man chill! 50-50ing rails at 43? you're making the rest of us old bags look bad!! that video is really a california dream I must say: good spots, blue skies, solid crew....

as for me well, fuck. breaking my elbow in may got me shook (again) and now I struggle with the most basic shit like shove-its or no-complys....well at least rolling around still feels good and my eldest son has been motivating to go out lately, so I hope it'll all slowly come back. Plus I've been working out lately and I feel it'll help me become more nimble again. Lost 2 pounds already.

->Sleazy: that was nice too! I'll turn 47 in March and a birthday session is a pretty rad idea.

->Iusedtoskatemore: that is heavy. losing your mom at that age is just beyond words. I hope that kid sticks with it. and props for what you are doing man! as an adopted kid myself, I'm still coming to terms with my past now, even though I'm dangerously nearing 50. and I probably had nowhere near as traumatic an experience as that kid....

dofrenzy

« Reply #1891 on: October 06, 2020, 06:44:33 AM »
Hey old dudes!  I am coming up on 6 weeks since I blew my knees out dropping into a 7’ QP.  I still can’t quite run normally and when I do it feels like the bottoms of both legs aren’t quite attached properly.  No doctor visit yet and trying to heal.  I got back on the board last week (wearing knee braces), working on some ground (shuvit, ollie, Manuals, and Casper stall).  Hit the mini a couple of days ago and it was def. sketchy but now about 2.5 weeks with zero THC, about 20 months alcohol free, just using some CBD, and I really NEED to skate.

Anyway, started at age 50 and been at it almost 16 months with maybe 2.5 total months out with injuries (back and knees).  I filmed my mini-ramp accomplishments just a few days before I ate shit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEDK4ArgaOA/?igshid=13g0757v1vn5r

And stoked when I got this roll-in to 50-50 grind:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoNFViAA7E/?igshid=1uwdscowc3ltr

I simply cannot say enough about what skateboarding has done for my mental and emotional health, and my outlook on life.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1892 on: October 06, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1893 on: October 06, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
been hitting the skate park with my daughter durning lunch breaks, it's always empty and she likes to ride around on blades. today was my 47th birthday and i wanted to ollie this cone that's waist high on me of this bump and land a kickflip to celebrate and feel like i can still do bare minimum tricks for all the years of work i've put in. such a hard hobby to maintain...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-XkNNJkrd/

Looking pretty solid for 47, man! I'm 42 and I don't have those hops anymore; strictly tranny and knee pads full-time for me. Appreciate you showing out for the old guy set!

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1894 on: October 06, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
Hey old dudes!  I am coming up on 6 weeks since I blew my knees out dropping into a 7’ QP.  I still can’t quite run normally and when I do it feels like the bottoms of both legs aren’t quite attached properly.  No doctor visit yet and trying to heal.  I got back on the board last week (wearing knee braces), working on some ground (shuvit, ollie, Manuals, and Casper stall).  Hit the mini a couple of days ago and it was def. sketchy but now about 2.5 weeks with zero THC, about 20 months alcohol free, just using some CBD, and I really NEED to skate.

Anyway, started at age 50 and been at it almost 16 months with maybe 2.5 total months out with injuries (back and knees).  I filmed my mini-ramp accomplishments just a few days before I ate shit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEDK4ArgaOA/?igshid=13g0757v1vn5r

And stoked when I got this roll-in to 50-50 grind:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoNFViAA7E/?igshid=1uwdscowc3ltr

I simply cannot say enough about what skateboarding has done for my mental and emotional health, and my outlook on life.

my dude, you are awesome.
ok thanks

dofrenzy

« Reply #1895 on: October 06, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

Thanks bigdave!  This thread is so motivating....just looking at the past few pages I see I am a noob, maybe even a kook, I don’t know but damn you all make me think I might ollie up onto a curb someday. 

Gotta say, after the first 4 weeks of being down my neck started cracking again and all my joints started to loosen up.  The pain of disuse seems to be greater than the pain of use....ya know what I mean?  Like, blowing my knees up was super-painful, followed by weeks of daily pain.  But if someone says “damn, why subject yourself to such abuse”, I say the abuse feels way better than neglect. 

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1896 on: October 07, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote
43. Or I could just list my age as no comply. :D
Checking in from the left coast with my latest part.
First part in the video below.
Its funny, without a doubt, I've skated more handrails in the first few years of my 40's than I did throughout my whole 30's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69oqbfhSRrw&t=115s
[close]

Damn! Such a rad part. Also didn’t recognize pretty much any of the spots... jealous. Haha. I’m crossing my fingers to also get a front nose on a rail for the video I’m working on now, that was dope. Inspiration for a fellow 43’er!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Respect, that front nose on the handrail is inspiration.  I’m gonna go skate now
[close]

Excellent part.  Good spots, good music, and great skating.  Also love the variety.  And, of course, that handrail game is unfu$%withable, even more so given that you're 43.  Great watch.
[close]

damn, man chill! 50-50ing rails at 43? you're making the rest of us old bags look bad!! that video is really a california dream I must say: good spots, blue skies, solid crew....

as for me well, fuck. breaking my elbow in may got me shook (again) and now I struggle with the most basic shit like shove-its or no-complys....well at least rolling around still feels good and my eldest son has been motivating to go out lately, so I hope it'll all slowly come back. Plus I've been working out lately and I feel it'll help me become more nimble again. Lost 2 pounds already.

->Sleazy: that was nice too! I'll turn 47 in March and a birthday session is a pretty rad idea.

->Iusedtoskatemore: that is heavy. losing your mom at that age is just beyond words. I hope that kid sticks with it. and props for what you are doing man! as an adopted kid myself, I'm still coming to terms with my past now, even though I'm dangerously nearing 50. and I probably had nowhere near as traumatic an experience as that kid....

Thanks old dudes! Glad the FS nose got noticed. That was the best one I've done in my life for sure. My part before this, I did one down a 3 stair rail and that was the first time ever down a real rail. This time I stepped it up to a 5 stair.
Get it Glurmpz! A little piece of wisdom that I picked up while fighting the battle for this trick that might help: In the beginning I was going a little faster and ollieing out to it. But in the end I found I had to go as slow as possible and aim high on the rail. Also helps to find a perfect square rail like the one I hit.

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks bigdave!  This thread is so motivating....just looking at the past few pages I see I am a noob, maybe even a kook, I don’t know but damn you all make me think I might ollie up onto a curb someday. 

Gotta say, after the first 4 weeks of being down my neck started cracking again and all my joints started to loosen up.  The pain of disuse seems to be greater than the pain of use....ya know what I mean?  Like, blowing my knees up was super-painful, followed by weeks of daily pain.  But if someone says “damn, why subject yourself to such abuse”, I say the abuse feels way better than neglect. 

Use it or lose it. Cliche, but so true

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1897 on: October 07, 2020, 08:28:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/4hBM8iCP53s

bringing me back right here. mm mm mmm. goddamn. wow that made me remember some shit.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Glurmpz

« Reply #1898 on: October 07, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
43. Or I could just list my age as no comply. :D
Checking in from the left coast with my latest part.
First part in the video below.
Its funny, without a doubt, I've skated more handrails in the first few years of my 40's than I did throughout my whole 30's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69oqbfhSRrw&t=115s
[close]

Damn! Such a rad part. Also didn’t recognize pretty much any of the spots... jealous. Haha. I’m crossing my fingers to also get a front nose on a rail for the video I’m working on now, that was dope. Inspiration for a fellow 43’er!
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks old dudes! Glad the FS nose got noticed. That was the best one I've done in my life for sure. My part before this, I did one down a 3 stair rail and that was the first time ever down a real rail. This time I stepped it up to a 5 stair.
Get it Glurmpz! A little piece of wisdom that I picked up while fighting the battle for this trick that might help: In the beginning I was going a little faster and ollieing out to it. But in the end I found I had to go as slow as possible and aim high on the rail. Also helps to find a perfect square rail like the one I hit.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Use it or lose it. Cliche, but so true

I'll be trying it on that famous silver fat round CIBC rail that recently got uncapped here - the one Mariano switch back tailed in 1994 and Koston hit a bunch in Mouse. But yeah, I've done them on a rail in the past (square) and I think skating it like you would a ledge is the best approach. Hit it high.

I got a trick on video I've been wanting to do for over 20 years this evening, so I'm very hyped. Hopefully the next two months here aren't completely rain. Fingers crossed.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1899 on: October 11, 2020, 01:33:19 PM »
Did you guys see that clip Kalis posted yesterday? Dope line, and his hair! Splendid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGLBm6SDEXd/

I just posted this on Insta today, thought I'd post it here as well. Loving this curb.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNcWFAl0gX/

Happy skateboarding y'all!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #1900 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
been hitting the skate park with my daughter durning lunch breaks, it's always empty and she likes to ride around on blades. today was my 47th birthday and i wanted to ollie this cone that's waist high on me of this bump and land a kickflip to celebrate and feel like i can still do bare minimum tricks for all the years of work i've put in. such a hard hobby to maintain...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-XkNNJkrd/
[close]

Looking pretty solid for 47, man! I'm 42 and I don't have those hops anymore; strictly tranny and knee pads full-time for me. Appreciate you showing out for the old guy set!

thanks man, just getting my jumping back after a year of lame sessions. new park got me hyped

I just posted this on Insta today, thought I'd post it here as well. Loving this curb.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNcWFAl0gX/

Happy skateboarding y'all!

great clip man. gets me hyped to try some of these tricks. i've never figured out tail or 5 0 to switch crook. any tips?

want to get this with a longer tail slide and revert but was fun to hang on to it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNwO76p4ng/

franc

« Reply #1901 on: October 12, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
great clip man. gets me hyped to try some of these tricks. i've never figured out tail or 5 0 to switch crook. any tips?

Thanks pal!

You usually have most of your weight on your arch and on your back heel when doing a frontside 5-0 or frontside tailslide. Do them like that but put the pressure on your toes right before popping and locking in your switch crooks, so you can level your truck up the curb/ledge/coping/whatever you're skating. Does that make sense to you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1902 on: October 12, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
43. Decided my goal was to finally learn tre flips this year. I was getting close but I think I went too hard and now my knee hurts. Oops. Sucks because more time to skate was about the only good thing going on this year.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1903 on: October 12, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
I'm back visiting my family and am healthy enough to skate, so after watching that Quim and Mike clip I went pushing around the spots I grew up skating. There's these wooden, knee high benches that were the first benches I grew up trying to wax and skate. I landed a couple boardslides and it felt good. What was really kind of unique was that while I was filming this spot, trying to land the trick, I realized that I first tried the same trick on this same bench 23 years ago.

A few days earlier I had gone for a walk and saw this young punk rock looking girl with a red mohawk and plaid skirt carrying a skateboard get harassed by some kids driving by. I stopped for a second to tell her that in that same exact spot, 20 years prior, some jocks drove by and yelled "nice tight pants, f++got" (i was wearing dickies) and threw some shit at me. The kid looked super stunned to hear it and smiled.

going home is a trip.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1904 on: October 14, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks pal!

You usually have most of your weight on your arch and on your back heel when doing a frontside 5-0 or frontside tailslide. Do them like that but put the pressure on your toes right before popping and locking in your switch crooks, so you can level your truck up the curb/ledge/coping/whatever you're skating. Does that make sense to you?

so just transfer your weight to your toes as you pop it up, i'll play around with it thanks!

Fubawu

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1905 on: October 14, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
I was directed to this post as an oldish skater! lol

Board is  Stereo 8.25
Mini wheels 52mm 101
Indy Ti trucks 144

I thought I would introduce myself. Newish skater here, I skated as a kid until 14 ish then steeped away for 29yrs. 43yrs old now. I was a basic skater as a kid did Ollie's , the odd grind and some weak kick flip attempts.

Flash forward to this summer and my youngest son started skating (10yrs old). I jumped on his board and thought I got to get back into this. Flash forward a couple weeks and I cleared out the garage and built a mini ramp 2.5 x 8 x 18.5 by ramp2rail. Awesome ramp, my son and I skate about an hour a day.  2 months since I started I've had a few slams!  Rock 2 Fakie beat the hell out of me..lol I can now Rock2Fakie, slash grind , rock and roll, tail stall etc street wise I can do all the basics shuvs, 180 Ollie's (sketchy) actually every trick is somewhat sketchy but I just landed my first kick flips over the weekend. 5 hours of practice total got it done. It's not pretty but its landed. Anyways just thought I would encourage you guys to pull your dad off the couch or if older and reading this, your already in the know. All the best.

Now working on my kick flips while moving and getting my axel stall down on ramp. Its a great way to clear the mind!

Cheers

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1906 on: October 14, 2020, 04:39:08 PM »
Gotta figure out how to get videos from my phone onto the computer. I'm kind of a luddite. No instagram or anything like that, but filming these tricks the past few days around my home town has been hella fun.

Went to a little old prefab part and blasted a bunch of boardslides, manuals, 5050s, and some heel flips. Then went to a jersey barrier spot and started smashing little wall rides or whatever.

I'm the healthiest I've been, and most sober, in like 10 years, and it feels wicked good. I'm riding a flat cruiser with softies, wearing New Balance 574 old dude chill shoes, and still landing shit. It's not great but considering I haven't skated in pretty much 5 years, that I'm landing everything I try is pretty sweet. I'll stop now.

have fun dudes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1907 on: October 14, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »
Gotta figure out how to get videos from my phone onto the computer. I'm kind of a luddite. No instagram or anything like that, but filming these tricks the past few days around my home town has been hella fun.

Went to a little old prefab part and blasted a bunch of boardslides, manuals, 5050s, and some heel flips. Then went to a jersey barrier spot and started smashing little wall rides or whatever.

I'm the healthiest I've been, and most sober, in like 10 years, and it feels wicked good. I'm riding a flat cruiser with softies, wearing New Balance 574 old dude chill shoes, and still landing shit. It's not great but considering I haven't skated in pretty much 5 years, that I'm landing everything I try is pretty sweet. I'll stop now.

have fun dudes

Send to your email as an attachment.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1908 on: October 17, 2020, 04:50:55 AM »
Super fun mini ramp just got built in the neighbouring village. Kudos to the dads who got it done.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGZ_W1mHOkL/?igshid=1xwd7tthxnr7s

I think the thing I still love about skating at 47 is that the buzz from progressing / relearning stuff never goes away!

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #1909 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »
I realized being the old guy at a park full of younger skaters is no big deal. Only got called ‘sir’ once, and everyone cheers when my old ass gets a kick flip.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #1910 on: October 17, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote

have fun dudes
[close]

Send to your email as an attachment.

Google Drive is a godsend for this. I use it constantly for graphic design refs and videos etc. 20gb for free if you have a Gmail account.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1911 on: October 19, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
Been to this spot a few times and each time it pissed me off. Finally got a little something on it...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGgNZNYA0I3/

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1912 on: October 19, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
Super fun mini ramp just got built in the neighbouring village. Kudos to the dads who got it done.

I think the thing I still love about skating at 47 is that the buzz from progressing / relearning stuff never goes away!

Yeah, Love a front rock! Didn't you used to do a surf blog?

franc

« Reply #1913 on: October 21, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »

Absolutely! I'm 38 and did 2 new tricks this morning. Made my day.

Rad front rock pic by the way man!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGnEF5rFSpY/

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1914 on: October 21, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, Love a front rock! Didn't you used to do a surf blog?
yep, many years ago when blogs were a thing and instagram was a twinkle in a nerds eye I did the adventures in trim blog. Made a couple of U.K. logging surf dvds too.
Skating was the gateway drug to surfing for me though since I grew up In the midlands.

Love your barrier clip btw!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1915 on: October 30, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
Trying to learn to pop above the coping again. This ramp is high to low so cheating a bit

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG8HjWlpiYG/?igshid=spydiig6xuk0

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1916 on: October 30, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »
Any of you wonderful dudes in NYC doing physical therapy or have a pool membership? I'm trying to find a facility with a pool to PT before ankle surgery and so much stuff is obviously shut down due to Covid. XOXO

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1917 on: December 01, 2020, 12:37:47 AM »
shit so I got a good one for you guys: my wife broke her ankle. So bad she needed surgery and a metal plate. And she did that walking! Basically she had our youngest son's scooter in her hand, she stepped off a curb, the thing turned, she stepped on it and did a slow motion banana peel thing....Crazy. I was certain it was nothing, but she was in crazy pain and the X-ray confirmed: fracture. When I think of all the slams I saw/endured skating and we escaped with just a few bruises....

So it's been 3 weeks now, she's better fortunately. But it was so weird the see the situation reversed, she's seen me injured so many times. the side effect is I dont dare skate now, cause if the smallest thing happens to me, we'll be fucked! Someone has to take care of the kids    :-X

so that's my story! also just saw this yesterday, really feeling this guy's flow and style. Inspires me to change my cruiser setup and just skate that for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OasqjWZRnwc

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #1918 on: December 02, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
Since this is where old dudes post up and I am most definitely in that category (48, dangerously close to that 50 mark), I figured I would share this cell phone edit I did of 2019/2020 homie cell footage.  When lockdowns first started I was really going out skating a lot, which was awesome.  DMV's closed down as did office buildings here in SoCal and that opened up a ton of no-bust spots, a real treat.  Then the skate industry went ballistic and my work got insanely busy so I'm back to once a week style.  Enjoy lots and lots of curbs, some flat and a few manuals. 
https://youtu.be/7JjrTR7NxS0

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1919 on: December 02, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »
Since this is where old dudes post up and I am most definitely in that category (48, dangerously close to that 50 mark), I figured I would share this cell phone edit I did of 2019/2020 homie cell footage.  When lockdowns first started I was really going out skating a lot, which was awesome.  DMV's closed down as did office buildings here in SoCal and that opened up a ton of no-bust spots, a real treat.  Then the skate industry went ballistic and my work got insanely busy so I'm back to once a week style.  Enjoy lots and lots of curbs, some flat and a few manuals. 
https://youtu.be/7JjrTR7NxS0

It’s cool you have so many years in that you can dip back into 91’-92’ for some variation. I’m 43 and I go out and try to think what I was trying when I first started in 89’.

On the lines you were doing how long would you try something until you said ‘fuck it’ and move on?

When I film tricks I am trying I give it about five attempts before I say ‘that’s enough of that’. If someone was filming me it may be 2-3 attempts since I would just be filming for my own personal enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing. Next time set up a football shape on some 40 mm wheels and wear some orange New Deal pants.