Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 302649 times)

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1920 on: December 02, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »
Frenchie - sorry to hear about the wife's injury. Hope her ankle heals quickly.

Rothdigga - I got caught watching your clip when I was supposed to be paying attention to "Santa chronicles 2" with the family. There's two hours I'm not getting back.

For those fellow old guys who see clips in here and think "damn I don't have those tricks in my locker anymore" check out Bill Weiss' IG account. His recent flatground "tutorials" always make my day.

In closing its now full on winter here in Canada and we're back into a lockdown so stay safe and sane everyone.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1921 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:46 PM »
Rothdigga: You have some enviable curbs in your area. You wouldn’t think that would be so hard to come by but grass isn’t as green here.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1922 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »
Nice work, Rothdigga!

Skipped work for a bit of solo skate therapy today. My friends are dropping like flys. I'm getting tired of skating with people twenty years younger than me, fun as it can be...

rothdigga

• Rep: 570
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1923 on: December 02, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Since this is where old dudes post up and I am most definitely in that category (48, dangerously close to that 50 mark), I figured I would share this cell phone edit I did of 2019/2020 homie cell footage.  When lockdowns first started I was really going out skating a lot, which was awesome.  DMV's closed down as did office buildings here in SoCal and that opened up a ton of no-bust spots, a real treat.  Then the skate industry went ballistic and my work got insanely busy so I'm back to once a week style.  Enjoy lots and lots of curbs, some flat and a few manuals. 

[close]

It’s cool you have so many years in that you can dip back into 91’-92’ for some variation. I’m 43 and I go out and try to think what I was trying when I first started in 89’.

On the lines you were doing how long would you try something until you said ‘fuck it’ and move on?

When I film tricks I am trying I give it about five attempts before I say ‘that’s enough of that’. If someone was filming me it may be 2-3 attempts since I would just be filming for my own personal enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing. Next time set up a football shape on some 40 mm wheels and wear some orange New Deal pants.
Honestly, most of these are quick hitter lines.  But I’ll try them for a minute until I feel like I’m actually gonna make it then have a homie film it.  I hate torturing people while taking too long to film a line, but most of these are certainly longer than 4-5 tries.  The pop shove noseslide line was first try tho...that felt like an accomplishment. 
Most of my bag is pretty much based on 89-92 tricks right now. 

rothdigga

« Reply #1924 on: December 02, 2020, 10:55:50 PM »
Rothdigga: You have some enviable curbs in your area. You wouldn’t think that would be so hard to come by but grass isn’t as green here.
I’m well aware that we’re super spoiled by all our amazing curbs here in SoCal.  Very lucky to have so much to choose from. 

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #1925 on: December 02, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Since this is where old dudes post up and I am most definitely in that category (48, dangerously close to that 50 mark), I figured I would share this cell phone edit I did of 2019/2020 homie cell footage.  When lockdowns first started I was really going out skating a lot, which was awesome.  DMV's closed down as did office buildings here in SoCal and that opened up a ton of no-bust spots, a real treat.  Then the skate industry went ballistic and my work got insanely busy so I'm back to once a week style.  Enjoy lots and lots of curbs, some flat and a few manuals. 

[close]

It’s cool you have so many years in that you can dip back into 91’-92’ for some variation. I’m 43 and I go out and try to think what I was trying when I first started in 89’.

On the lines you were doing how long would you try something until you said ‘fuck it’ and move on?

When I film tricks I am trying I give it about five attempts before I say ‘that’s enough of that’. If someone was filming me it may be 2-3 attempts since I would just be filming for my own personal enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing. Next time set up a football shape on some 40 mm wheels and wear some orange New Deal pants.
[close]
Honestly, most of these are quick hitter lines.  But I’ll try them for a minute until I feel like I’m actually gonna make it then have a homie film it.  I hate torturing people while taking too long to film a line, but most of these are certainly longer than 4-5 tries.  The pop shove noseslide line was first try tho...that felt like an accomplishment. 
Wow! I must have watched bpsw a thousand times as a kid. So crazy.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1926 on: December 03, 2020, 01:18:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You really know how to string a line together JR. Lovely.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #1927 on: December 04, 2020, 02:10:03 PM »
damn rothdigga, gonna watch that clip before i go skate. serious geezer appreciation there. got a few new tricks at the local

edit:

foulweather, killing it man. i like your spot and trick selection man, guessing that qp in the beginning is steep which makes those ollies that much iller

rothdigga

« Reply #1928 on: December 04, 2020, 03:34:44 PM »
damn rothdigga, gonna watch that clip before i go skate. serious geezer appreciation there. got a few new tricks at the local

edit:

foulweather, killing it man. i like your spot and trick selection man, guessing that qp in the beginning is steep which makes those ollies that much iller

How's that totally empty park?  Insane.  Looks so fun!

Glurmpz

« Reply #1929 on: December 04, 2020, 03:55:35 PM »

Hell yes! That was dope and inspirational, as a fellow old dude. 'Only' 43 though. Haha.

I'm in the last couple weeks left to film for a project I've been working on all year, got a trick today I haven't done in many years so I'm stoked. I'll post the full video on here right around New Year's. (Haslam has a bunch of footage in it skating shoes I assume he got from you ;) , so thanks!)

rothdigga

« Reply #1930 on: December 04, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell yes! That was dope and inspirational, as a fellow old dude. 'Only' 43 though. Haha.

I'm in the last couple weeks left to film for a project I've been working on all year, got a trick today I haven't done in many years so I'm stoked. I'll post the full video on here right around New Year's. (Haslam has a bunch of footage in it skating shoes I assume he got from you ;) , so thanks!)

Glad I could inspire.  43...48...it pretty much feels the same these days. 
Haslam is on Roth flow...although I'm still a full believer that he should be fully paid as a skateboarder to represent a shoe brand...but I'll keep him laced up anytime he needs them.  Just sent a box to Senn today too...my homie flow list is pretty damn strong!

Glurmpz

« Reply #1931 on: December 04, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Glad I could inspire.  43...48...it pretty much feels the same these days. 
Haslam is on Roth flow...although I'm still a full believer that he should be fully paid as a skateboarder to represent a shoe brand...but I'll keep him laced up anytime he needs them.  Just sent a box to Senn today too...my homie flow list is pretty damn strong!

Yeah I agree Chris deserves to be solidly backed. He's doing his thing though and his skating is still as ridiculous as ever. It was great having him in Vancouver for a long stretch this year. He was down to skate every day by the time I woke up, and he was helping out a lot at the local diy by repairing ramps and making new things to skate, however strange they may have been. There's some of that in the video for sure.

411 #2 was one of the only videos I actually owned, so I'm a big fan of yours. Puts a smile on my face to see you still murking the parking lots. Respect.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1932 on: December 04, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
skated a new deck and a fresh set of bones 56mm today. First new deck I've had in long ass time and it was even longer with wheels. 3rd sesh since I started skating again in October and it felt good. It's crazy how muscle memory works and what the body remembers!!! I've always had pop on the few tricks I could do and they're still there, albeit not as high.

The mind always limited me, especially skating- I'd always psych myself out and just assume that a trick was out of my wheel house because I wasn't good enough. Since I started skating again, granted it's only been a few sessions, my mind is really fucking expansive and connecting with bodily movement- for instance, I was doing 5050s on the park ledge and adjusting my feet while staying in the grind- that's something I never put together- and very quickly started 180ing out and pop shove its out started making sense. Started trying little air/ollies over the little tranny spots and it started to click. Same with riding fakie up the ramp and throwing big spins. I'm not landing all of it yet, but it all made sense and all of a sudden seems very, very doable.

I'm wicked fucking stoked for this new era of skating in my life. Everything feels possible!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1933 on: December 05, 2020, 07:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote

edit:

[close]

i work from home and make my own schedule so i go most days around lunch and it's been great this week. usually just a hand full of older guys who can ollie if you know what i mean. it's small but has all the small mellow props a middle aged guy could want

gonna rewatch your part to get some ideas for my morning sesh

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1934 on: December 05, 2020, 07:58:32 AM »
that looks like such a fun park

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1935 on: December 05, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
It really makes a session fun when you don't have to dodge everyone else.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #1936 on: December 08, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

edit:

[close]

[close]

i work from home and make my own schedule so i go most days around lunch and it's been great this week. usually just a hand full of older guys who can ollie if you know what i mean. it's small but has all the small mellow props a middle aged guy could want

gonna rewatch your part to get some ideas for my morning sesh

that really is a very nice-looking park....

but I gotta ask: who is doing that kickflip in your sig??

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1937 on: December 08, 2020, 07:16:38 PM »

No answer?

Looked it up (too keen) and that thing is NUTS!!!!!

Taylor Kirby, Deathwish

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1938 on: December 09, 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No answer?

Looked it up (too keen) and that thing is NUTS!!!!!

Taylor Kirby, Deathwish

thanks man! shit looks massive, now I really have to watch that Deathwish vid!!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1939 on: December 09, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
OldieButFrenchie

Definitely recommend watching that video. Skating is insane, good music, good vibes. It's kind of what I think everyone was hoping Baker 4 would be.

Got me a new trick. Never could do feebles on ledges because my front wheels would always touch so pretty stoked to lock these in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1940 on: December 09, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »

Got me a new trick. Never could do feebles on ledges because my front wheels would always touch so pretty stoked to lock these in

Those look so good!

It is funny how a lot of skaters I know always want knee high minimum on any ledge options, but the lower ledges can work really well on top of banks like that for so many options.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #1941 on: December 09, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
Feeble was sick! Need to add them to the bag myself.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1942 on: December 10, 2020, 12:09:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those look so good!

It is funny how a lot of skaters I know always want knee high minimum on any ledge options, but the lower ledges can work really well on top of banks like that for so many options.

I could never do feeble grinds anywhere, but I did a few exactly like that on a bank to curb a few years back! I wanna try again on just a curb, just to have one more slappy variation in my bag....Except it's cold af right now outside. Close to 0 celcius and that makes me not wanna skate AT ALL.   :-X

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1943 on: December 10, 2020, 06:26:38 AM »
thanks fellas!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those look so good!

[close]

I could never do feeble grinds anywhere, but I did a few exactly like that on a bank to curb a few years back! I wanna try again on just a curb, just to have one more slappy variation in my bag....Except it's cold af right now outside. Close to 0 celcius and that makes me not wanna skate AT ALL.   :-X

a straight up curb would be hard but sick. seems like most curb spots have that one curb that is dug out on one side, be sick for that kind of spot and in high school i used to do them on parking blocks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #1944 on: December 10, 2020, 06:51:51 AM »
We have a version of that same obstacle here (Newline build?) it has an angle on the curb and that shit angle iron coping, it's pretty much all I skate and it's the only thing in the world I can feeble....

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1945 on: December 10, 2020, 07:59:31 AM »
We have a version of that same obstacle here (Newline build?) it has an angle on the curb and that shit angle iron coping, it's pretty much all I skate and it's the only thing in the world I can feeble....

last time i had this trick was at a grindline park where they had a similar setup but with a square curb on top. it was amazingly easy and rewarding to lock them in and and right when you rolled into the park so every session would start with a big feeble. super fun. the rest of the park was pretty meh though. grindline makes everything so steep and it was commissioned by all the old vert heads so there were like 2 oververt pockets including biggest in US at the time and no flat bars, lol.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1946 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »
that looks like such a fun park

Cold and snowy up north in Canada. Gonna hit up the indoor park tonight - Had to reserve 24 hours in advance (limited capacity) and skate with a mask. Should be interesting.

Summer cant come soon enough...

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1947 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »
Figured my first forum post would be in this thread to say what up! Just turned 47 and recently picked up skateboarding again after several years. Its amazing what a few extra years and pounds of body weight can do to a mans skating. Things just aren't as easy as I remembered them. Its been fun experimenting with setups though.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1948 on: December 13, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »
Figured my first forum post would be in this thread to say what up! Just turned 47 and recently picked up skateboarding again after several years. Its amazing what a few extra years and pounds of body weight can do to a mans skating. Things just aren't as easy as I remembered them. Its been fun experimenting with setups though.

Hey it can only help your center of gravity, right?  ;D

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1949 on: December 13, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »

I feel you bro. Turned 43 this year and picked up skating again during lockdown after more than 20 years. Don't forget that you have selective memory, it will only remember a handful of heroic tricks you landed back then but not the millions of embarrassing slams. Shalom!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro