Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304331 times)

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1950 on: December 13, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Figured my first forum post would be in this thread to say what up! Just turned 47 and recently picked up skateboarding again after several years. Its amazing what a few extra years and pounds of body weight can do to a mans skating. Things just aren't as easy as I remembered them. Its been fun experimenting with setups though.
[close]

Hey it can only help your center of gravity, right?  ;D
I guess thats one way to look at it. Although its made relearning ollies pretty interesting.

kimura

« Reply #1951 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Figured my first forum post would be in this thread to say what up! Just turned 47 and recently picked up skateboarding again after several years. Its amazing what a few extra years and pounds of body weight can do to a mans skating. Things just aren't as easy as I remembered them. Its been fun experimenting with setups though.
[close]

I feel you bro. Turned 43 this year and picked up skating again during lockdown after more than 20 years. Don't forget that you have selective memory, it will only remember a handful of heroic tricks you landed back then but not the millions of embarrassing slams. Shalom!

I was seriously delusional when I figured Id hop on and pick up where I left off. NOPE.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1952 on: December 13, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you bro. Turned 43 this year and picked up skating again during lockdown after more than 20 years. Don't forget that you have selective memory, it will only remember a handful of heroic tricks you landed back then but not the millions of embarrassing slams. Shalom!
[close]

I was seriously delusional when I figured Id hop on and pick up where I left off. NOPE.

I was the opposite, I was sure I wouldn't even be able to ollie up a curb and was super stoked when I managed to do that the day I started again. I'd say lower your expectations because it's a long way to get back where you left of, so much is for sure. I am slowly getting my kickflips back (still nowhere as consistent or stylish as back in the nineties). I also have great fun with simple curb/ledge tricks (boardslides, noseslides, 50/50s). My dream is getting my Muska flips back tho. That was my signature trick back in the day.   ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1953 on: December 13, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was the opposite, I was sure I wouldn't even be able to ollie up a curb and was super stoked when I managed to do that the day I started again. I'd say lower your expectations because it's a long way to get back where you left of, so much is for sure. I am slowly getting my kickflips back (still nowhere as consistent or stylish as back in the nineties). I also have great fun with simple curb/ledge tricks (boardslides, noseslides, 50/50s). My dream is getting my Muska flips back tho. That was my signature trick back in the day.   ;D

I'm just 35 but I'm getting back starting to consistently skate again after the last 5 years of my 20s was spent wasted and the first 5 of my 30s injured. I think you're spot on about the lowering of expectations!!! I've been going out every dry day and relearning those same simple curb tricks like I did when I was 14 years old. Because I'm going into it without much in the way of expectations, I'm actually learning new stuff with the quickness. Just last night I finally figured out the "scoop" in no complies and Tre flips. Ain't gonna lie, but watching cheesy trip tip videos for 360 flips is helpful as fuck! Keep it up G!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

kimura

« Reply #1954 on: December 13, 2020, 12:46:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm just 35 but I'm getting back starting to consistently skate again after the last 5 years of my 20s was spent wasted and the first 5 of my 30s injured. I think you're spot on about the lowering of expectations!!! I've been going out every dry day and relearning those same simple curb tricks like I did when I was 14 years old. Because I'm going into it without much in the way of expectations, I'm actually learning new stuff with the quickness. Just last night I finally figured out the "scoop" in no complies and Tre flips. Ain't gonna lie, but watching cheesy trip tip videos for 360 flips is helpful as fuck! Keep it up G!

Oh yea, my expectations are lower than ever

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1955 on: December 13, 2020, 12:52:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh dude, that sounds sick. I agree about the youtube trick tip cllips. I feel like I would have been able to progress so much faster had we had them back in the day. On the other hand I am grateful we didn't have instagram and other social media as I certainly would have made a complete idiot of myself using them.  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1956 on: December 13, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh dude, that sounds sick. I agree about the youtube trick tip cllips. I feel like I would have been able to progress so much faster had we had them back in the day. On the other hand I am grateful we didn't have instagram and other social media as I certainly would have made a complete idiot of myself using them.  ;D

it's been a lot of fun. I rode away from a no comply 180 and a switch back 180 on flat last night and felt like a G. ha ha ha

And yeah, I'm super grateful to have no had access to internet as a kid. Aside from being an idiot, it would've been too stressful. I had so much fun skating as a kid, like this most recent incarnation of my skate life, it's about getting away from everything else!

jigga man

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1957 on: December 13, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »
took time away and came back intending to rip. permission was not granted.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #1958 on: December 18, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
For us really old guys...check out Chico Brenes IG account. Today has two new Rick Howard tricks with the classic Neds as the background. Was not expecting that slice of awesome today.

"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1959 on: December 18, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
Ned's hasn't aged well. Rick and Chico have.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #1960 on: December 19, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »

They all aged well IMO....90's alternative rock is alive, how dare you !!   :-X :-X

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1961 on: December 19, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
Saw the Rick and Chico post. What a treat to see Rick skate..

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1962 on: December 19, 2020, 08:05:45 PM »
Does anyone else feel like they skate as well or better than they did when they were younger? I don't know if it's because I've always remained active, but at 40, I feel more comfortable skating than at any other time in my life. There are plenty of tricks I can't make anymore, but the ones I've learned as an adult are as good or better than any flippy thing I could do when I was 15
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1963 on: December 19, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
Does anyone else feel like they skate as well or better than they did when they were younger? I don't know if it's because I've always remained active, but at 40, I feel more comfortable skating than at any other time in my life. There are plenty of tricks I can't make anymore, but the ones I've learned as an adult are as good or better than any flippy thing I could do when I was 15

I feel like I have lost so many tricks and so much confidence over the years, especially after each solid injury, but in saying that, everything I can still do is much smoother and more refined than when I was younger. 
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1964 on: December 20, 2020, 12:59:24 PM »

I'm 35 and just recently started skating again. I can't do all that much other than the staples that are super ingrained in my muscle memory and my stamina is way up there yet, but I feel very, very comfortable and am learning new tricks faster. It might be due to being able to focus more and giving less shits.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1965 on: December 20, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »

Yes. I don't throw myself down big gaps anymore and tricks come and go but I don't pressure myself. I skate for fun and not to be good and its done wonders for my skateboarding.

kimura

« Reply #1966 on: December 20, 2020, 03:34:23 PM »
Finally got a session in today for about an hour at my favorite curb. The asphalt was damp so I decided to throw on my pads. Good thing I did. I was warming up and slammed hard as shit on a board slide and my wrist guards saved me from at least a harsh sprain. Fucking hurts getting old. I hate skating in pads.  But gotta pay the bills too. Stupid responsibilities.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #1967 on: December 20, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »

Definitely.....skateboarding was barely flippy when I was 15......

ThrashGnar

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1968 on: December 28, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
40 y/o checking in from LA.  Nothing much to add.  HMU if you want to skate mellow stuff occasionally and you don't mind regular flaking.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1969 on: December 29, 2020, 01:37:46 AM »
Me for sure. i stoped skating with 19 and came back with 36 last year in may. I picked up my board again after a period of burning out, followed by depressions. The first few sessions were hell. I couldn't do anything anymore.
My body felt like rolled over by a car the first two weeks, even though i was in pretty good shape.
So i worked on my basics, day in day out.
Also in cold winter (Germany) under bridges or wherevere it was dry. I ate lots of shit, and my shins looked like murdered but i couldn't stop anymore. Skating is my way out that mental hole i was sitting in.
Now after 1 1/2 years back in, i skate better than i ever was when i was younger. Back then i wasn't focused. Mostly drunk and high. Now it's my Therapie. And when i'm off my board for to long, i feels sick inside.
So folks, keep rolling.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #1970 on: December 30, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »

in someways but definitely way less pop

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1971 on: December 30, 2020, 09:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They all aged well IMO....90's alternative rock is alive, how dare you !!   :-X :-X

I like the Stone Roses  but I think that's about it from that era... I loved Ned's at the time...

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1972 on: December 30, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »
my top listened song from 2020 was a neds song

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1973 on: December 30, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »
Having to explain the big pants small wheels era to a kid at the park yesterday, made me feel my 49 years
Cocteau Twins

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1974 on: December 30, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »
Went to the park a couple of weeks ago and forgot my board

The next time I went I wheel bit on a throw down and slammed into a wall. My ribs are still bruised

Was walking my dog at a park today and saw Chris Gregson he did not recognized me and I creeped him out in my you can't tell I skate creepy uncle attire. That's par for the course for me so I don't sweat it

Feeling so frustrated
Even antiquated
'Cause you can't update me
If I'm overrated
So frustrated

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1975 on: December 30, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »
Having to explain the big pants small wheels era to a kid at the park yesterday, made me feel my 49 years

If it makes you feel any better, a few months ago I saw 2 skaters (early 20s) running from getting kicked out of a spot. I stopped them to give them a quick short cut exit, as I know this town inside and out. They said thanks but both gave me an "ok boomer" look. I realized that I was wearing my dad office gear and carrying my sons BMX bike probably was weird for them. Felt pretty old af afterwards

Grim Deeds

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1976 on: December 30, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »
I teach where I live and the skatepark is where all my students hang out. I try to session early mornings only to avoid them but that's when parent bring toddlers on scooters. And if I bring my son, the session is just me pulling him back and forth until he gets bored enough to let me sneak in a run. It's tough out there! If I'm lucky he'll keep skating and I'll have a built-in skate buddy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1977 on: December 30, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it makes you feel any better, a few months ago I saw 2 skaters (early 20s) running from getting kicked out of a spot. I stopped them to give them a quick short cut exit, as I know this town inside and out. They said thanks but both gave me an "ok boomer" look. I realized that I was wearing my dad office gear and carrying my sons BMX bike probably was weird for them. Felt pretty old af afterwards

Best post of the day  ^^

Made me laugh a bit anyway.

Working behind the scenes doing stocktakes for a large surf, skate, fashion / retail shop in Australia for 12 years, dealing with all the cool youger kids working in all the stores, most didn't know how old I was or that I actually skated - they just thought I was wearing the outfit to fit in and were more often than not surprised when I would help them with skate product info, grip boards, or even more surprised when I took my cap off (balding head) but I was never one to really show off any skateboarding skills or knowledge if they didn't ask.

Most of the guys I skate with in the old guys group are office attire or semi casual suit wearing people, so it is funny hearing their stories of going in to a skate shop on a lunch break and getting helped / stared at by a young guy behind the counter.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1978 on: December 31, 2020, 03:33:58 AM »
Damn...how have i missed this thread??

Been on slap for maybe a year...will turn 45 in 2021...started skating in ‘87 and stopped in 2001/2. I started up again in 2019. Its been like learning from scratch again. I’ve only recently felt comfortable on the board...but fuck its been fun! Even with all the injuries i don't think ill stop again, unless im forced to do so.

codelanguage

« Reply #1979 on: January 05, 2021, 01:36:42 AM »
I just turned 40. I've been skating on and off since I was 11. I should be fucking amazing at this point but due to stopping so many times, I'm just not. But, I made a lot of progress from age 20-22. Skated 24-25 learned boardslides and ollying up pyramids. When I started again from 27-29 I skated everywhere so I got pretty good at pushing fast, and skating mini ramps. From age 32-34 I learned proper kickflips, heelflips, pop shuvits, and some grinds. I started again about three months ago and everything came back pretty quick. My manuals are getting better and I can pop nollies for the first time. So yeah I'm still the kook/poser/creepy old guy but whatever. I'm happy.

Fuck what anyone else thinks and especially what you tricked yourself into thinking anyone else thinks. You'll be dead soon. Make the best of it.