Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 302584 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2010 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can any of you fellow old dudes recommend some good shoes for skating with these old tired feet? My Vans are killing the balls of my feet after a good session. I feel like I need something with more padding but without losing board feel.
[close]

Board feel is over rated. Get yourself a cupsole. I'm in Joslins. I know they are too thick for some people. But I'm not in pain after a full day of skating.
[close]

The Etnies Joslin aren't cupsole are they? I was just checking the Joslins out. I like those. Which model are you rockin? There are a few different types.
Etnies put out a vulc Joslin in the latter half of 2020 but all the other versions will be a cupsole. It will say it's a vulc in the model name so just avoid those if that's not what you're looking for.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #2011 on: January 25, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions fellow old dudes. Etnies Joslin's and Gamechanger insoles are in route.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #2012 on: January 25, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »
Whatever you do..
When your feet are old and sensitive, don't buy the Joslin Vulcs !
The worst shoe ever.. even with the footprint insoles.
The regular ones, Joslin 1 and 2 and the regular Maranas are cupsole.
They need a bit breakin in time. I use them as my all day shoe for about a week.
After that they feel great.
There is also a Marana Vulc but in all honesty, they also suck imho.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #2013 on: January 25, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »
Recently I started skating the Vans BMX Skate Hi (with a cup sole) and if you like the feel/fit of Vans but can't stand your feet/ankles/knees being destroyed, then I suggest you try them out. Has the classic Vans grip without the classic Vans lack of support.

kimura

« Reply #2014 on: January 25, 2021, 06:07:54 PM »
Truth be told I didn’t even know the terms vulcanized and cupsole until today after I did some google-foo. I’ve never put much thought into shoes and always just rocked Vans most of which I now know are/where vulcanized. I’ve had some cupsoles over the years when I think back. I’m positive some good cupsoles with good insoles is exactly what I’m looking for.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2015 on: January 25, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
Truth be told I didn’t even know the terms vulcanized and cupsole until today after I did some google-foo. I’ve never put much thought into shoes and always just rocked Vans most of which I now know are/where vulcanized. I’ve had some cupsoles over the years when I think back. I’m positive some good cupsoles with good insoles is exactly what I’m looking for.

cupsole 100%
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2016 on: January 25, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
I wish I could skate cups.... You guys have me wanting to try again...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2017 on: January 26, 2021, 07:00:35 PM »
i've been digging the new ave's. you get ollie holes quick but they don't need to be broke in and are slim yet easy on the feet. i plugged the hole with some of those sued patches for shoes.

45 and 3/4. Not sure I can do 46 tricks at 46 but might make little edit... Silly as it is to film oneself it does provide some motivation.

damn sick. i love self filming. get way more shit done. i've been working on two tricks for multiple sessions now because i want to film them right. if it wasn't for that i would have moved on.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2018 on: January 26, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »
I wish I could skate cups.... You guys have me wanting to try again...

Don't do it. You know they have the board of feel of moon boots.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

kimura

« Reply #2019 on: January 27, 2021, 05:45:24 AM »
I’ve actually managed to skate 3 out of the last 4 days here in Seattle. My feet, back and neck are wrecked. It was worth it though. I usually skate for about an hour. I don’t do a lot of standing around and  I try to keep moving/flowing to keep my body warmed up and my heart rate and lungs working.

How often and how long do you guys usually skate?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2020 on: January 27, 2021, 05:58:35 AM »
I’ve actually managed to skate 3 out of the last 4 days here in Seattle. My feet, back and neck are wrecked. It was worth it though. I usually skate for about an hour. I don’t do a lot of standing around and  I try to keep moving/flowing to keep my body warmed up and my heart rate and lungs working.

In the winter I skate on Saturday and Sundays notwithstanding the weather or legs. If need be I go to the underground parking.  When the days get longer and I can use the evenings I go two to three times a week, choosing the actual day depending on weather and legs. Sessions usually last an hour (net skating time) then the legs are tired and it gets dangerous. If it is really cold, the session might be shorter but not because of me but my wife gets cold.  I always take her along as she likes to get outside and does not object to filming my humble efforts. Other than my wife I prefer to have no one else around.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2021 on: January 27, 2021, 06:20:48 AM »
Hawk’s current IG post...the 720... It’s really cool (not sure that is the right word) to see someone in skateboarding, especially someone at his level, openly talk about (and show) the impact of biology, time, and age. It’s a (losing) battle, that all of us old guys know. Much respect for that 720, but even more for the honest vulnerability. Every session is a gift. It won’t last forever.

Humanizing...that was the word I was looking for.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2022 on: January 27, 2021, 07:03:44 AM »

Had a couple of long weekend holiday type things here, so actually been skating a lot more than I might have otherwise.  Everything hurts, but I feel so much better because of it.

Being in lockdown did a number on both my mind and my body, even though I could have been on my feet more and active, but getting older is just one of those things.

That Lance Mountain (or other wonderful human being) quote is true:

You don't stop skateboarding because you get old, you get old because you stop skateboarding!
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kimura

« Reply #2023 on: January 27, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In the winter I skate on Saturday and Sundays notwithstanding the weather or legs. If need be I go to the underground parking.  When the days get longer and I can use the evenings I go two to three times a week, choosing the actual day depending on weather and legs. Sessions usually last an hour (net skating time) then the legs are tired and it gets dangerous. If it is really cold, the session might be shorter but not because of me but my wife gets cold.  I always take her along as she likes to get outside and does not object to filming my humble efforts. Other than my wife I prefer to have no one else around.

Yea skating in the cold doesn't make thing any easier. I can definitely tell a difference in everything from my body to my how my board feels with cold wheels and bushings. Plus bailing a trick hurts just a bit more. I do sweat a bit less so that a plus I suppose. I sweat buckets when I skate or workout. It actually kinda sucks. I always joke its a curse. Im envious of you guys that don't sweat much.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2024 on: January 27, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »
Been feeling down, friend just moved nearby and waned to cruise around.

Never underestimate a good cruise sesh.
He had this super squirrely little board with soft bushings and slightly harder cruiser wheels you could really surf style pump it fast

My friend was skating in some yeezy equivalent type shoes damn near broke his ankle. Told him to get something flatter. duh!
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #2025 on: January 27, 2021, 07:58:36 AM »
I recently just went for a cruise session and enjoyed it more than a frustrating "why can't I land shit?" session at a spot.
Just fullspeed cruising

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #2026 on: January 27, 2021, 08:26:57 AM »
I recently just went for a cruise session and enjoyed it more than a frustrating "why can't I land shit?" session at a spot.
Just fullspeed cruising

Funny you should say that. I usually cycle to the local spots but skated the other day. The skate there and back was much more enjoyable ha. Haven't felt that good in a long time.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Glurmpz

« Reply #2027 on: January 27, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
Forgot I said I would link this in here when I finished it...

Here's the video I've been working on over the past year. My footage starts at 15:08. I'm 43. Pretty happy with what I was able to put together, for once. Lol. Wish I had done more flip tricks but I didn't even realize I was lacking in that department until I was almost done filming. Next part I'm gonna focus on that more. Enjoy!

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2028 on: January 27, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea skating in the cold doesn't make thing any easier. I can definitely tell a difference in everything from my body to my how my board feels with cold wheels and bushings. Plus bailing a trick hurts just a bit more. I do sweat a bit less so that a plus I suppose. I sweat buckets when I skate or workout. It actually kinda sucks. I always joke its a curse. Im envious of you guys that don't sweat much.

I'm the sweatiest dude at the session every time and I'm starting to think its a mental thing. I sweat way more when I do physical activities that require your focus and mental energy. If I'm riding a bike or jumping rope or something it doesn't come down nearly as fast as if I'm skating or like building or fixing something. I think if I stay cognizant of it and just chill the fuck out I'll probably sweat less and skate better.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2029 on: January 27, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
I sweat so damn much, I always pack an extra tee and bring a sweat towel as well.

My winter sessions have pretty much ended for now. Pretty severe COVID lockdown  and province wide 8 pm curfew. Skateparks are closed, and I cant really get to the underground parking garages in time with work and kids during the week. Hopefully this weekend.

Been snowboarding a bit though, that's kinda fun. A "different" type of skating...hehe. 

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
« Reply #2030 on: January 27, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »

Here's the video I've been working on over the past year. My footage starts at 15:08. I'm 43. Pretty happy with what I was able to put together, for once. Lol. Wish I had done more flip tricks but I didn't even realize I was lacking in that department until I was almost done filming. Next part I'm gonna focus on that more. Enjoy!

yoooooooooo, MY MAN! that's a dope part. wicked
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2031 on: January 27, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »

What! Handrails? Flips into manuals? Legit shit.

kimura

« Reply #2032 on: January 27, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »

Legit!

Glurmpz

« Reply #2033 on: January 27, 2021, 10:41:01 PM »
Thanks friends! It was definitely a fun project and I tried to make myself film new things instead of the same old stuff. Not sure if you guys watched the rest, but Haslam has a fun little part to close it out and there's a couple other names in there that might be familiar to people following Vancouver skateboarding.

I also built a box that I can fit in my car recently, had the first real session on it tonight. With borders closed and no trips to California happening, this will be key to making it through a long wet winter.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2034 on: January 27, 2021, 11:42:22 PM »
So... who’s the Sheriff of these here thread, and exactly how old does one need to be in order to post up here?
Asking because I may actually qualify in another 4 to 5 years, depending on where the bar is set.
I don’t think I’m old, but my ankles, knees, and hips insist otherwise.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2035 on: January 28, 2021, 01:52:50 AM »

Watched the whole thing (had to do it in the evening, not during the day) but that was pretty cool - especially liked the parking block on top of the DIY curb / gap where you and others did feeble / hurricane variations.

I looked up Summit and it shows I already watched it, can't remember when, but I think I will have to rewatch it again too.

Never remember or know what I get up to late at night, sleep deprivation, etc.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2036 on: January 28, 2021, 01:54:28 AM »
So... who’s the Sheriff of these here thread, and exactly how old does one need to be in order to post up here?
Asking because I may actually qualify in another 4 to 5 years, depending on where the bar is set.
I don’t think I’m old, but my ankles, knees, and hips insist otherwise.

Any and all welcome I would say, because if you are in here (and a Pal), you wouldn't be lost.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2037 on: January 28, 2021, 06:32:29 AM »
Sick part Glumpz. MVP for sure!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #2038 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:49 AM »
Wow Glumprz that was rad

captjwebb