Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 302731 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 235
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2070 on: February 15, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
Awesome skating from everyone that posted!
Cupsoled shoes are my old ass feet’s best friend.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2071 on: February 16, 2021, 04:03:27 AM »

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2072 on: February 18, 2021, 10:45:32 AM »
Nice edit SFF. You got some good flatground skills. The park with the triangle shaped bank looks like a good time!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #2073 on: February 20, 2021, 04:33:10 AM »
Ok, seems like the level of skating is getting too good around these parts. So, I’ll do my part and bring the average back down.
Be gentle, I’m old..

this clip got me so hyped to work on flat land. i've got that same element box. i'm guessing you are also like "are you kidding me" with the high legs. like WTF, can a brother get a medium set of legs? it's not even worth strapping them on for a nose slide then i've got nothing.

love the BGPs from what i assume is your daughter

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #2074 on: February 20, 2021, 08:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Ok, seems like the level of skating is getting too good around these parts. So, I’ll do my part and bring the average back down.
Be gentle, I’m old..

[close]

this clip got me so hyped to work on flat land. i've got that same element box. i'm guessing you are also like "are you kidding me" with the high legs. like WTF, can a brother get a medium set of legs? it's not even worth strapping them on for a nose slide then i've got nothing.

Expand Quote

[close]

love the BGPs from what i assume is your daughter

Good to see you have an internet connection. Hopefully your week was not as terrible as many of your fellow Texans.

Hopefully you had a backup generator.

Either way, very scary stuff. I have never lost power in the winter and it’s always a concern in a winter storm.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2075 on: March 01, 2021, 08:22:00 AM »
Not sure I’m brave enough to put this in the post you skating thread. It’s a bit slow (like me!)

Fun to learn some new things today - half cab 50-50 and the hurricanes are new today. Straight after a fun surf. Happy days! :-)

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #2076 on: March 01, 2021, 09:12:27 AM »
i am old but started skating late (a year and a half ago)

any tips on avoiding injury?

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #2077 on: March 01, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »

Triple 8 gloves with the wrist guard. Saved me many many times. Cupsole shoes will help with footpain. Helmet and full pads obviously.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #2078 on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Triple 8 gloves with the wrist guard. Saved me many many times. Cupsole shoes will help with footpain. Helmet and full pads obviously.

Don’t perform tricks. Learn to skate like you would have in 88’.

TicTacs are incredibly important. Kick turns. 180 slides. Rail slides on double sided curbs or 6 x 6 posts. You can add metal edging and wax and practice rail slides an 50/50 grinds.

Wax curb cuts and ride up to get comfortable on grinds.

Get a wide board (8.5+) with some meat on the tail and nose. The more places to place your feet the better.

Watch H Street Hocus Pokus to get a sense of how people skated before handrails and gaps.

Practice nose manuals and manuals before you learn to Ollie properly. Do not skate slow. People get hurt more skateboarding slow because they land awkwardly when they fall. If you fall run into the slide. Do not try and stop falling. Just stay loose and go with it.

That is all for now...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:56:20 AM by GardenSkater77 »

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2079 on: March 01, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
Thats good advice for sure. I second all that.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2080 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Don’t perform tricks. Learn to skate like you would have in 88’.

TicTacs are incredibly important. Kick turns. 180 slides. Rail slides on double sided curbs or 6 x 6 posts. You can add metal edging and wax and practice rail slides an 50/50 grinds.

Wax curb cuts and ride up to get comfortable on grinds.

Get a wide board (8.5+) with some meat on the tail and nose. The more places to place your feet the better.

Watch H Street Hocus Pokus to get a sense of how people skated before handrails and gaps.

Practice nose manuals and manuals before you learn to Ollie properly. Do not skate slow. People get hurt more skateboarding slow because they land awkwardly when they fall. If you fall run into the slide. Do not try and stop falling. Just stay loose and go with it.

That is all for now...

truth. it's the only way I've been able to start skating again, even though I'm not watching H street ;) I'm seeing all these little gaps and it's just not worth it right now. good advice
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2081 on: March 01, 2021, 11:02:30 AM »
Mellow grass gap gang we out here
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2082 on: March 01, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
Mellow grass gap gang we out here

One of my tasks for the Spring/Summer: Find a grass (or other) gap small enough for me.  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2083 on: March 01, 2021, 01:34:54 PM »
I'm turning 40 later this year and kind of want to learn 40 new tricks before that. Already got 6 since the beginning of the new year (8 since my birthday in November). Here's one I learnt yesterday:

sbmfj

« Reply #2084 on: March 01, 2021, 03:58:50 PM »
That was cool, but Im really impressed with the backdrop to your skatepark. Quite the view!!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2085 on: March 01, 2021, 04:02:33 PM »
Man I need to get more nimble. Feel like I’m hostage on this bloody thing just hanging on for dear life when on curbs. I’m worried (know) that means I need to lose 10kg but man that sucks.

Any good old dude warm ups? Started doing those leg swing things which definitely helps pre and post sessio. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2086 on: March 01, 2021, 05:20:38 PM »
I'm turning 40 later this year and kind of want to learn 40 new tricks before that. Already got 6 since the beginning of the new year (8 since my birthday in November). Here's one I learnt yesterday:

Such rad combos in some of your videos.

Finding the right spot can sometimes be just what you needed, but also doing tricks on a good spot is more important than thinking of a trick and trying to find the right spot sometimes too.

This spot was so much fun (crap quality video though)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

franc

« Reply #2087 on: March 01, 2021, 10:31:26 PM »
That was cool, but Im really impressed with the backdrop to your skatepark. Quite the view!!

Thanks! That's in the Rhone valley, in the Swiss Alps.

Any good old dude warm ups?

I just roll around and do really basic shit for 5 or 10 minutes before I try "real tricks", and then when I start "doing tricks" it's just ollies and things I know I can't miss. I don't stretch after skating. I probably should.

Such rad combos in some of your videos.

Finding the right spot can sometimes be just what you needed, but also doing tricks on a good spot is more important than thinking of a trick and trying to find the right spot sometimes too.

This spot was so much fun (crap quality video though)

Sick clip man.

Thanks for the kind words!

I fully agree with what you said. Thinking about a trick and trying to find the right spot for it never really works for me. I usually have much more fun (and sometimes end filming a clip for the sake of it) when I simply go skating and see what happens, what I feel able to do that day, what possibilities the spot I'm skating offers. Plus that's more spontaneous, which is spicier and more enjoyable.  :) :) :)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2088 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:49 AM »
Man I need to get more nimble. Feel like I’m hostage on this bloody thing just hanging on for dear life when on curbs. I’m worried (know) that means I need to lose 10kg but man that sucks.

Any good old dude warm ups? Started doing those leg swing things which definitely helps pre and post sessio.

@radcunt dynamic stretches to warm up might be the way to go. Hope this helps:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/dynamic-stretches

sbmfj

« Reply #2089 on: March 02, 2021, 06:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@radcunt dynamic stretches to warm up might be the way to go. Hope this helps:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/dynamic-stretches

Check out Dr Kyle Brown on Instsagram - hes got a bunch of warm of streches and rehabilitation ones too. That shit helps!!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2090 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:16 PM »
Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2091 on: March 03, 2021, 12:07:04 AM »
the weather turning nice got me inspired to hit the local street spot near my house in the morning, before all the kids and rippers come out and it becomes unbearably crowded....and you guys got me inspired to try the self filming/instagram/old man on a curb thing! this semi-shitty slappy tailslide is all I got for now but I'll be back   8)   

franc

« Reply #2092 on: March 03, 2021, 12:23:47 AM »
Yes mate! These are well fun, and you can go all out once you're comfortable with them!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2093 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:13 AM »
fun indeed! actually I'm trying to get generally comfortable on the board again....but not too comfortable!
(last year I got a little too excited to be street skating again and broke my elbow, so taking it slow and low impact is my mantra this time around!)

Edit: franc you really do have a lot of nice stuff on your instagram....you're way more technical than I ever was!!  :-X   but it's inspiring for sure  (oh just saw you're not 40 yet, that gives me a good excuse ha! shit I'll be 47 this month and if someone had told me 20 years ago I'd still be messing around with no complys at that age I would NEVER have believed it!!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:02:39 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2094 on: March 03, 2021, 01:36:28 AM »
Figure it's about time I post up in here, just shy of turning 36.

Started skating again tentatively in Sept 2019 after about 12 years of a board whilst i destroyed my body snowboarding instead.

Really got back into skating proper around this time last year when lockdown kicked in here in the UK, and there was nothing else to do. Imagine my surprise when I started to actually learn new stuff, and get better than I ever was as a teen. Still can't skate transition... I like flatground, a lot.

My vibe- flat decks and flat feet, 14" WB, visiting the osteopath, flatground, uncool tricks that no one does, buying decks I don't need, Epsom salts, being a gear nerd, cupsoles, early 2000s everything.

2021 new learns sofar - flip body varials, fakie flip body varials, fakie bigflips (see what I mean).

franc

« Reply #2095 on: March 03, 2021, 04:55:27 AM »
fun indeed! actually I'm trying to get generally comfortable on the board again....but not too comfortable!
(last year I got a little too excited to be street skating again and broke my elbow, so taking it slow and low impact is my mantra this time around!)

Edit: franc you really do have a lot of nice stuff on your instagram....you're way more technical than I ever was!!  :-X   but it's inspiring for sure  (oh just saw you're not 40 yet, that gives me a good excuse ha! shit I'll be 47 this month and if someone had told me 20 years ago I'd still be messing around with no complys at that age I would NEVER have believed it!!)

Thanks pal!

Samir Karim said his dream was to still be able to do backtails at age 40 in a Sugar (French skate mag) interview about 20 years ago. I was a kid when I read that but I remember thinking that was a pretty rad goal.

Skateboarding is the fountain of youth.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2096 on: March 03, 2021, 05:46:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks pal!

Samir Karim said his dream was to still be able to do backtails at age 40 in a Sugar (French skate mag) interview about 20 years ago. I was a kid when I read that but I remember thinking that was a pretty rad goal.

Skateboarding is the fountain of youth.

oh you mean Samir Krim?? real nice dude,  I haven't seen him in a long time, but from what I can see on insta he's still going strong! last I heard he managed the Supreme store in Paris....

edit: yes he can still bs tailslide!   ;)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2097 on: March 03, 2021, 06:25:08 AM »
And having fun doing it (or just laughing at himself because it took him 20x more tries to get that line than he wanted).

Either way, I don't care and that was rad to see.

Thanks for posting!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sbmfj

« Reply #2098 on: March 03, 2021, 06:33:28 AM »
Those clips were rad!!
Ive started following a few of you on the 'gram! Nice manny skills there Franc!!

I gotta make it out to Europe one day and skate - looks like soo much fun.

sbmfj

« Reply #2099 on: March 03, 2021, 07:21:02 AM »
Heres my 2020 tripod edit. Had fun making it, weird how a camera can be a source of motivation to get a trick. Learnt f/s noselides and the reg noselide 270 shuv out last summer - was hyped on new tricks. And managed to re-learn the nosesldie nosegrind on a ledge - used to slappy em back in the day. 43 years young.

Can any of you Europeans decipher the quebecois?

And I skated that board that got run over for a solid month after - didnt even snap! It has since been donated to some Cuban skaters. Love those Control boards!