Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304422 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2130 on: March 24, 2021, 01:29:43 PM »
^^^Fuck yeah! That was nasty. I’d be proud of that one too.

thanks!

Fhk

« Reply #2131 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »

Bump for all the elderly on here. I had a paid day off and it happened to snow 8" so I got a buzz and tried to ride a non-moving skateboard. Snow sucks.. Shalom

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2132 on: April 22, 2021, 08:28:34 PM »
Bump for all the elderly on here. I had a paid day off and it happened to snow 8" so I got a buzz and tried to ride a non-moving skateboard. Snow sucks.. Shalom

Yeah no matter what or how, still counts!

Crazy thinking I live in very moderate conditions all year round when I see something like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2133 on: April 22, 2021, 11:45:12 PM »
That was awesome! There's not much snow left here in the Alps now but it was still really cold until yesterday, I can totally relate to this.

Haven't posted anything here in a while so here's a trick I learnt the other day, inspired by Video Days as usual:

Fhk

« Reply #2134 on: April 23, 2021, 03:42:37 AM »
Mbrimson88 Thanks man.. It's a little more fun rolling haha Enjoy those warmer temps for me would ya?
Franc that was sick! My snow was actually all gone until this hit, cold temps coming up so I think it will stick around for a while  :-\

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #2135 on: April 23, 2021, 04:51:48 AM »
That was awesome! There's not much snow left here in the Alps now but it was still really cold until yesterday, I can totally relate to this.

Haven't posted anything here in a while so here's a trick I learnt the other day, inspired by Video Days as usual:

Nice man! Ground looks crusty too

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2136 on: April 23, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »

that was fucking proper!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2137 on: April 24, 2021, 03:54:13 AM »
I've posted this elsewhere, but this IS the old dudes thread, so I'm going to "recycle" for fun's sake.
Three 50 year old dudes who have been skating this curb together for better than 30 years doing their impersonation of skateboarding's Blue Angels. Grey Angels (as the good homey who uploaded it put it) is a far more accurate description.
So, in summary: a cumulative total of 150 years worth of old guys, putting a collective 90 years of experience at this spot to use. You'd have thought with numbers like that, we would have been able to put together something a little more dramatic/exciting, but meh, it am what it am.

That shit was wholesome as hell.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2138 on: April 24, 2021, 03:56:13 AM »
Expand Quote
i am old but started skating late (a year and a half ago)

any tips on avoiding injury?
[close]

Triple 8 gloves with the wrist guard. Saved me many many times. Cupsole shoes will help with footpain. Helmet and full pads obviously.

Lots and lots of stretching

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2139 on: April 25, 2021, 06:55:25 AM »
Nice man! Ground looks crusty too

It's not that good but it's better than it looks.

that was fucking proper!

Thanks pal!

Laddygoo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2140 on: April 25, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »
What up pals, 43yo picked skating back up after 12 years, slowly getting my tricks back but honestly feel more comfortable on the board now than when I was younger🤷‍♂️

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2141 on: April 25, 2021, 09:50:47 PM »

Senior Swim is Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-9AM.
Dipping my toes in the water at the Hornet.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #2142 on: April 26, 2021, 05:43:39 PM »
Sick spot Lou! Gotta get the half cab board or nollie lip now.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2143 on: April 26, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
Sick spot Lou! Gotta get the half cab board or nollie lip now.
Nollie lip is a go, I may have a shitty version in the digital database somewhere, but it’s a solid lock at that spot.
Half cab board is only meh if I want to actually slide a piece though, unless I start from the other side and transfer in. Easier (for me) from the sidewalk up top, on account of still sucking after all these years.
That spot sure is worth the trip across the bay, though.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2144 on: May 05, 2021, 02:13:14 AM »
Good day all you oldies out there. 43 years young, been skateboarding since I was 12 and it is an integral part to who I am. Been struggling with sciatic pain recently and can’t  really skate for longer than 5 minutes. I have put on a little more padding on the dad bod lately and wondered if this was the issue. It maybe part of it?? Any pals out there got some suggestions for the pain? Stretches, remedies, insight or advice. Would love to hear what people have done in the past. Just keen to keep rolling and wiggling till the wheels fall off.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2145 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
Good day all you oldies out there. 43 years young, been skateboarding since I was 12 and it is an integral part to who I am. Been struggling with sciatic pain recently and can’t  really skate for longer than 5 minutes. I have put on a little more padding on the dad bod lately and wondered if this was the issue. It maybe part of it?? Any pals out there got some suggestions for the pain? Stretches, remedies, insight or advice. Would love to hear what people have done in the past. Just keen to keep rolling and wiggling till the wheels fall off.

I say this every four or five pages, but for skating I strongly recommend Pilates, which focuses heavily on improving and strengthening very small movement patterns. Skating is really nothing more than these patterns, as are most of life’s daily tasks. It’s definitely kept me, at 40, skating and active generally at a much higher level than a lot of other desk jockeys my age.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:46:58 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dunc

« Reply #2146 on: May 05, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I say this every four or five pages, but for skating I strongly recommend Pilates, which focuses heavily on improving and strengthening very small movement patterns. Skating is really nothing more than these patterns, as are most of life’s daily tasks. It’s definitely kept me, at 40, skating and active generally at a much higher level than a lot of other deck jockeys my age.

Thanks for this. I realise I need to be more proactive than ever before.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2147 on: May 05, 2021, 03:47:36 PM »

I struggled with sciatica for a long time. My solution was two fold: riding bikes regularly and yoga.

Daily yoga practice solves a lot of everything.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2148 on: May 05, 2021, 04:45:28 PM »
There's been a lot of good suggestions in this thread and others to assist the aging skateboarder with longevity. Different strokes for different blokes but here's what's worked for me. I am about to turn 46 and my body feels better now than it did in my 30s.

1) diet. obviously. know what works for you. this can take some time. I learned the hard way after 12 years that a particular diet had a detrimental impact on my health and mental health. I believe its different for everyone but generally speaking sugar and over processed foods are not helpful.

2) vary your activity. lots of people suggesting cycling. i do to. can't be skateboarding all the time... mix it up.

3) only skate when you're feeling it. no point forcing it. if a trick, spot or whatever isn't working out, move on... I no longer beat myself up trying the same shit 100 times. I find what's working that day and I do it to death. Sometimes, that just means 100 frontside slash grinds.

4) short frequent sessions. I used to have marathon sessions on the weekend. it just resulted in fatigue and pain for days after. I'm all about the 30 min to two hour sessions several times a week or more... Its really helped with my consistency (and dare I say progression), keeps me hungry and in less pain.

5) alcohol and any inflammatory foods do not help aging joints. absolutely do not help recovery time when injured. Limiting that shit has done wonders for my own health.

6) upgrade your insoles. I like remind medics but Vans popcush have treated me pretty well recently also.

Just sharing my own ideas and in no way offer the above as solve-all for all other old bastards.

dunc

« Reply #2149 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:32 PM »
There's been a lot of good suggestions in this thread and others to assist the aging skateboarder with longevity. Different strokes for different blokes but here's what's worked for me. I am about to turn 46 and my body feels better now than it did in my 30s.

1) diet. obviously. know what works for you. this can take some time. I learned the hard way after 12 years that a particular diet had a detrimental impact on my health and mental health. I believe its different for everyone but generally speaking sugar and over processed foods are not helpful.

2) vary your activity. lots of people suggesting cycling. i do to. can't be skateboarding all the time... mix it up.

3) only skate when you're feeling it. no point forcing it. if a trick, spot or whatever isn't working out, move on... I no longer beat myself up trying the same shit 100 times. I find what's working that day and I do it to death. Sometimes, that just means 100 frontside slash grinds.

4) short frequent sessions. I used to have marathon sessions on the weekend. it just resulted in fatigue and pain for days after. I'm all about the 30 min to two hour sessions several times a week or more... Its really helped with my consistency (and dare I say progression), keeps me hungry and in less pain.

5) alcohol and any inflammatory foods do not help aging joints. absolutely do not help recovery time when injured. Limiting that shit has done wonders for my own health.

6) upgrade your insoles. I like remind medics but Vans popcush have treated me pretty well recently also.

Just sharing my own ideas and in no way offer the above as solve-all for all other old bastards.
Sage advice thanks. I have recently dropped gluten and dairy . This seems to help my gut and hopefully my joints down the line. Stretching is the key I think and a variety of movements as you state. I cycle a lot and it’s my other love and it does help but gives me some neck issues at times. Last night I did some hip flexer stretches and it’s a huge difference today.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2150 on: May 06, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sage advice thanks. I have recently dropped gluten and dairy . This seems to help my gut and hopefully my joints down the line. Stretching is the key I think and a variety of movements as you state. I cycle a lot and it’s my other love and it does help but gives me some neck issues at times. Last night I did some hip flexer stretches and it’s a huge difference today.

Oh yeah man, hip flexor shit is the worst. I don’t do it enough, and like all the other old farts here, I’m an avid cyclist, so my hips are fucked from traveling constantly in one direction while being jammed repeatedly into the socket. Whatever good it does for the knees for me seems to be offset by the damage it does to hips!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2151 on: May 06, 2021, 10:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Oh yeah man, hip flexor shit is the worst. I don’t do it enough, and like all the other old farts here, I’m an avid cyclist, so my hips are fucked from traveling constantly in one direction while being jammed repeatedly into the socket. Whatever good it does for the knees for me seems to be offset by the damage it does to hips!

Agreed. I've been battling that since last December. Have it in my push leg. I've been doing stretching, massage, tems machine, ice, tiger balm, ibuprofen. Shit def lingers. Good luck

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2152 on: May 14, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/tws-10-deadhippies-tips-for-skating-in-your-40s/

Turning 44 soon, this resonates to me almost 100%. Hardest part has been the crapshoot aspect - sometimes it gets shitty in 10 minutes, learned to leave it there and pack my board to avoid frustration.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2153 on: May 15, 2021, 03:05:08 AM »
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/photos/tws-10-deadhippies-tips-for-skating-in-your-40s/

Turning 44 soon, this resonates to me almost 100%. Hardest part has been the crapshoot aspect - sometimes it gets shitty in 10 minutes, learned to leave it there and pack my board to avoid frustration.

Mostly spot on but „eat a good meal beforehand“? That doesn‘t do it for me. I can‘t skate with a full stomach. I eat very lightly just to get a bit of energy. If I eat a full meal I‘ll have to wait three hours at least.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dofrenzy

« Reply #2154 on: May 15, 2021, 04:34:23 AM »

Nice article, thanks for sharing it.  I am totally new, started 2 years ago, and I can identify with a lot here....session-ending slams 5 minutes in, knowing I look ridiculous and stiff and new (old age helps with that vanity bullshit), having to be an adult but unable to walk (wicked slam both knees 9 months ago still paying dearly) and getting hooked on skateboarding.  I actually just wanted to learn to drop in for my 50th.  I’ll be 52 in a few days and I have a fucking 8’ wide, 3.5’ tall mini with Gatorskins in my yard now.

I suck at this too with almost no tricks on my mini OR flat ground, and slams have made me “twice shy”, but holy fuck just locking in my rock-fakie and getting a 5 second manual is enough to make a grown man high.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2155 on: May 15, 2021, 06:33:42 AM »

That Dead Hippie piece was right on. And he's getting so good, if you follow his Insta. But, everything he said rings so true....

The self-filming point is interesting. I never filmed myself until the last few years. It was mostly to try and document my skateboarding before it slipped away but I totally agree, it gets you in the zone. Last night I was skating this sketchy Jersey barrier in an even sketchier part of town and I could not get a simple slash grind on the Jersey. Low and behold. I bust out the selfie stand and fisheye and it was on...

I'm 46 next week Pals... Still unlocking a few tricks here and there. 90% skateboarding solo these days also.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2156 on: May 15, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That Dead Hippie piece was right on. And he's getting so good, if you follow his Insta. But, everything he said rings so true....

The self-filming point is interesting. I never filmed myself until the last few years. It was mostly to try and document my skateboarding before it slipped away but I totally agree, it gets you in the zone. Last night I was skating this sketchy Jersey barrier in an even sketchier part of town and I could not get a simple slash grind on the Jersey. Low and behold. I bust out the selfie stand and fisheye and it was on...

I'm 46 next week Pals... Still unlocking a few tricks here and there. 90% skateboarding solo these days also.

Yeah, been able to learn few new ones besides catching the old lost tricks. Mostly skateboarding solo too. It feels like climbing downwards-headed escalator at times, but I completely agree that everyone able to ride the board at this age should be grateful for it every time.

The self-filming definitely affects. Haven't done it for a while but this article got me digging up my old mini-tripod with phone holder again. On the other hand I think a static selfie camera has a problem of locking you down trying certain tricks in certain spot. Might get frustrating especially if the session lottery gives you a shitty one. Best remedy for that seems to be just starting to move, ollieing up a curb here, doing a manual there, no camera, no plan. Gets a smile back on my face every time.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2157 on: May 15, 2021, 10:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice article, thanks for sharing it.  I am totally new, started 2 years ago, and I can identify with a lot here....session-ending slams 5 minutes in, knowing I look ridiculous and stiff and new (old age helps with that vanity bullshit), having to be an adult but unable to walk (wicked slam both knees 9 months ago still paying dearly) and getting hooked on skateboarding.  I actually just wanted to learn to drop in for my 50th.  I’ll be 52 in a few days and I have a fucking 8’ wide, 3.5’ tall mini with Gatorskins in my yard now.

I suck at this too with almost no tricks on my mini OR flat ground, and slams have made me “twice shy”, but holy fuck just locking in my rock-fakie and getting a 5 second manual is enough to make a grown man high.

Nice ramp dude!

Fall River MA???
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

dofrenzy

« Reply #2158 on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »
Nice ramp dude!

Fall River MA???

Thanks I appreciate the ramp love I busted my ass to build it.

Fall River, Massachusetts indeed!  From the RI/Southeast Mass. area all my life but moved back to Fall River in December.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #2159 on: May 15, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice ramp dude!

Fall River MA???
[close]

Thanks I appreciate the ramp love I busted my ass to build it.

Fall River, Massachusetts indeed!  From the RI/Southeast Mass. area all my life but moved back to Fall River in December.

Sweet, dude. I grew up in the 508. Worked and hung out in Fall River for a pretty decent chunk of years. There were some fun/burly street spots all over that city. The slanted walls at city hall were fun as shit. I ate it wicked hard trying to b.omb 7 hills like 15 years ago!

I'll be in that area for a few weeks in June and am always down to skate! If you wanna get down, I'm down already!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty