Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304307 times)

dofrenzy

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2160 on: May 15, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »

Sweet, dude. I grew up in the 508. Worked and hung out in Fall River for a pretty decent chunk of years. There were some fun/burly street spots all over that city. The slanted walls at city hall were fun as shit. I ate it wicked hard trying to b.omb 7 hills like 15 years ago!

I'll be in that area for a few weeks in June and am always down to skate! If you wanna get down, I'm down already!

I hear about 7 hills all the time, but I don’t know exactly what it is.  I assume it is President Ave. along North Park, is that right?  That is a CRAZY hill bomb!

Yeah, I scope the walls at City Hall all the time.  One of my goals is a wall ride there if I ever learn to wall ride.

I would love it if someone else skated my ramp!  I installed the ramp to get more skating in but I miss other skaters at the park.  I will try to send my contact info.

EDIT - I sent a private message w/contact info lmk if you did not receive (I don’t see it in my sent messages)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:19:11 PM by dofrenzy »

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2161 on: May 18, 2021, 02:12:44 AM »

Not much but good to be rolling again. I relearnt these about three weeks ago then promptly rolled my ankle trying FS ollies.

Thankfully ankle feels ok but head felt a bit scared!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2162 on: May 18, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »
^Jealous of that OG colorway Rector pad
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2163 on: May 18, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
Jory 4 that grab was sick.  Sorry about the ankle man, I hope it’s a quick heal I want to see the FS ollie!

Jory4

« Reply #2164 on: May 18, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »
^Jealous of that OG colorway Rector pad

Protec reissues not og rectors sadly!

Had landed a few ollies then sketched out. Might be scared to try them Again for a bit! Mine weren’t as good as @frankandfred s anyway!

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2165 on: May 18, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
Looking good Jory4!!

Thanks for that TWS 40+ article. Pretty spot on. Just followed the author in Insta, he's killing it (mighty high s/w krooks)!
Never filmed much when I was younger but with Iphones and whatnot these days, soo much easier and it can really get ya going. Ive been doing more and more of that over the years and then make a little year end edit. Lotta fun!

Frank and Fred, I skate solo 90% of the time as well. Can be rather difficult to coordinate with people and whatnot, but Ive gotten used to it. Even managed to learn a few new tricks.

Man, I bet with all of us old dudes self filming, we could make an Old Man Slap Skate Vid - An International Affair!!!

hehehe

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2166 on: May 19, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »
Looking good Jory4!!

Thanks for that TWS 40+ article. Pretty spot on.

hehehe

inspiring, thanks!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2167 on: May 22, 2021, 11:35:55 PM »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 05:51:35 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2169 on: May 23, 2021, 12:06:33 AM »
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2170 on: May 23, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »
@GardenSkater77 Hell yeah, I remember hearing that on Skate Rock comp.

@Easy Slider Cheers!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #2171 on: May 24, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »
Jory4 nice one. i need to relearn those.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #2172 on: May 31, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
I guess this could go in the injury thread but figured the older guys might have some knowledge with this. So my knee ain't great (torn meniscus that at my age isn't getting repaired) and I've been pretty sedentary over the lockdown so when I went out for my first real 'session' in forever today my cardio was gone and my knee felt wobbly as hell. Both to be expected - but wondering if anyone has worn a knee sleeve/light brace during skating while getting some strength back and how that worked out?
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

dofrenzy

« Reply #2173 on: May 31, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »
<snip>....wondering if anyone has worn a knee sleeve/light brace during skating while getting some strength back and how that worked out?

I blew my knees out just over 9 months ago, no doctors or diagnosis, I just assume the worst of it was my MCLs, but plenty of fucked up shit in my knees in general, and my hips got a little tweaked as well.  Knees were VERY loose for about 5 months, trying to run literally felt like the bottoms of my legs weren’t quite attached.  Months 8-9 since the injury and I feel like I have leveled-up to something like 80-85% of what my legs used to be.  Still no running (I *can* run a little but will probably wait for the year mark).

I skated a little 4 weeks after the injury, then waited a couple of more weeks, and have been skating more with each passing month.

Immediately after the slam, I got some Velcro-attached knee braces.  After a couple months of that I got some slip-on sleeves at Walgreens (Futuro) and now I’ve been wearing “Old Bones Therapy” knee-sleeves on both knees for about a month.  I always wear them skating, along with some soft slip-on knee-pads over the sleeves. 

Had a 40 minute mini-ramp session this afternoon and will sleep with the Old Bones Therapy sleeves and compression socks.  I practically live in them now but I do take them off sometimes and go without.

Hope this helps.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2174 on: May 31, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
Gracias dofrenzy!

"Immediately after the slam, I got some Velcro-attached knee braces.  After a couple months of that I got some slip-on sleeves at Walgreens (Futuro)..." - gives me something to look into - as I wasn't looking for anything too rigid but at the same time I think wearing something will also help with the mental game.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2175 on: June 01, 2021, 12:21:14 AM »
Visited a buddy on the coast, got to check out this cool square ditch thing.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2176 on: June 01, 2021, 12:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
<snip>....wondering if anyone has worn a knee sleeve/light brace during skating while getting some strength back and how that worked out?
[close]

I blew my knees out just over 9 months ago, no doctors or diagnosis, I just assume the worst of it was my MCLs, but plenty of fucked up shit in my knees in general, and my hips got a little tweaked as well.  Knees were VERY loose for about 5 months, trying to run literally felt like the bottoms of my legs weren’t quite attached.  Months 8-9 since the injury and I feel like I have leveled-up to something like 80-85% of what my legs used to be.  Still no running (I *can* run a little but will probably wait for the year mark).

I skated a little 4 weeks after the injury, then waited a couple of more weeks, and have been skating more with each passing month.

Immediately after the slam, I got some Velcro-attached knee braces.  After a couple months of that I got some slip-on sleeves at Walgreens (Futuro) and now I’ve been wearing “Old Bones Therapy” knee-sleeves on both knees for about a month.  I always wear them skating, along with some soft slip-on knee-pads over the sleeves. 

Had a 40 minute mini-ramp session this afternoon and will sleep with the Old Bones Therapy sleeves and compression socks.  I practically live in them now but I do take them off sometimes and go without.

Hope this helps.

Are the Old Bones better than the cheapos?  My knee has been feeling a bit off (pain in the top, feels a bit loose) and I think I wanna give it some support. No injury but just started feeling wonky

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #2177 on: June 01, 2021, 05:25:26 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPNH1SZgQJW/?utm_medium=copy_link

46 FSGs for my 46th.

i missed this the first time, i'm also a lover of fs grinds, this is rad! liked that fakie 5050

dofrenzy

« Reply #2178 on: June 01, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
Are the Old Bones better than the cheapos?  My knee has been feeling a bit off (pain in the top, feels a bit loose) and I think I wanna give it some support. No injury but just started feeling wonky

I prefer the Old Bones Therapy but I am sure that any that I have used will definitely help you.

Immediately following my slam, the black velcro-style (Walgreens brand) was necessary because the knee-pain was so bad I couldn’t push my foot/leg through a sock, never mind a tight knee-sleeve.  The Velcro style was a bit bulky though, so once I could manage the pain after a couple of months, I switched to the gray colored slip-on style (also from Walgreens, but “Futuro” brand).

The gray Futuro sleeves have hard, maybe plastic, supports on both sides, but they are very flexible, so I doubt they provide much support side-to-side.  Still, they were very helpful for my next few months of healing.  For me, the important things were 1st to keep the swelling down and 2nd to add *some* support and stability.

What I like about the Old Bones is they are stylish :) and the knee-cap is also covered which I think provides more even compression all the way around the knee (compared to the uncovered knee-caps of the other two), and they have a built-in cushion for skating, although I do wear slip-on, soft style knee pads over the Old Bones when I skate.

For some low-profile support I think the gray Futuro sleeves are a good bet.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:58:06 PM by dofrenzy »

Jory4

« Reply #2179 on: June 03, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »
Ankle is feeling better, I’m 47 in two weeks, I’m feeling it!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2180 on: June 03, 2021, 01:49:19 PM »
Just saw someone on Twitter talking about they were getting too old to skate, at age 28.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dofrenzy

« Reply #2181 on: June 03, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
@Jory4 I feel weird being a skate newb and throwing out compliments to people with great skills but damn, great skills!  Hope you have a great bday man.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2182 on: June 03, 2021, 04:27:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer the Old Bones Therapy but I am sure that any that I have used will definitely help you.

Immediately following my slam, the black velcro-style (Walgreens brand) was necessary because the knee-pain was so bad I couldn’t push my foot/leg through a sock, never mind a tight knee-sleeve.  The Velcro style was a bit bulky though, so once I could manage the pain after a couple of months, I switched to the gray colored slip-on style (also from Walgreens, but “Futuro” brand).

The gray Futuro sleeves have hard, maybe plastic, supports on both sides, but they are very flexible, so I doubt they provide much support side-to-side.  Still, they were very helpful for my next few months of healing.  For me, the important things were 1st to keep the swelling down and 2nd to add *some* support and stability.

What I like about the Old Bones is they are stylish :) and the knee-cap is also covered which I think provides more even compression all the way around the knee (compared to the uncovered knee-caps of the other two), and they have a built-in cushion for skating, although I do wear slip-on, soft style knee pads over the Old Bones when I skate.

For some low-profile support I think the gray Futuro sleeves are a good bet.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it!  I think I might go the cheaper ones, see how they go then upgrade later if it helps.  I tried to strap on my neoprone knee brace with side support from 1999 when I did my knee in snowboarding but my  legs are a tad more manly these days lol. 

Jory4

« Reply #2183 on: June 04, 2021, 01:26:06 AM »
@Jory4 I feel weird being a skate newb and throwing out compliments to people with great skills but damn, great skills!  Hope you have a great bday man.

Thanks man!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2184 on: June 04, 2021, 02:47:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man!

Ha yeah, being polite, not weird, but all about saying YEAH when I see something good like those two Instagram clips.

Always magical seeing the no comply flip done right too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2185 on: June 04, 2021, 10:55:54 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPNH1SZgQJW/?utm_medium=copy_link

46 FSGs for my 46th.

Awesome!
Happy belated birthday!

Trying to learn 40 new tricks between my 39th and 40th birthday. Got 5 months left and got 26, so far so good.
Haven't posted them all but here's number 26.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2186 on: June 04, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »

Awesome!
Happy belated birthday!

Trying to learn 40 new tricks between my 39th and 40th birthday. Got 5 months left and got 26, so far so good.
Haven't posted them all but here's number 26.

That Frank and Fred clip slipped past me.  Happy belated birthday. 

Franc, thanks for bringing those FS grinds back up.

To both of you, no kidding I can hardly believe the skill level.  I like commenting to people like you because I feel like I am chilling with famous people, and for what it’s worth you guys are more famous to me with every clip.  Hell yeah.

EDIT - Feeling low energy and old-man-ish (FYI diverticulitis issues frequently and 3 untreated hernias just to name a a couple old guy things I suffer with) but fuck it I’m going for a skate.  I just can’t get these clips out of my head and been working on half-cab-rock to fake for 2 fucking months.  You guys are stoking the skateboarding fire in me.  Really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:34:04 PM by dofrenzy »

dofrenzy

« Reply #2187 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
You guys got me so stoked.  This must be what having homies is like.  This took me over a month as I have adjusted to the new ramp and not gonna lie this was a little emotional for me to land and own.  Funny how after many weeks of fail I got it almost on repeat.  So grateful to be a part of this community.  Gotta say the return-on-investment for this was huge.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2188 on: June 04, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »

I feel kinda old. Too old to clean it up get a proper angle. This took like 5 trys and I had to do a wallie the go around and immediately try one of these. The next try after I was like ok I accomplished the goal.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2189 on: June 04, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
You guys got me so stoked.  This must be what having homies is like.  This took me over a month as I have adjusted to the new ramp and not gonna lie this was a little emotional for me to land and own.  Funny how after many weeks of fail I got it almost on repeat.  So grateful to be a part of this community.  Gotta say the return-on-investment for this was huge.

Radness!
Your ramp looks fantastic.