Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304383 times)

Sonny Paluso

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2250 on: August 17, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
I've been feeling motivated to learn flip tricks. Best I could ever do were slow kickflips and shuv its (no pop), and an occasional stationary heel flip, all circa late 80s.  Have been spending so much time at curb spots/parking lots, that my motivation to go the local skatepark has waned somewhat. I usually only stay for 30-45min, but still love the park (Klamath Falls). I'm going to be 49 in December, any other old dudes in the same boat? Also, just purchased an 8.375 Polar and some Thunder 149 raws to force myself.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2251 on: August 17, 2021, 01:43:52 PM »
I've been feeling motivated to learn flip tricks. Best I could ever do were slow kickflips and shuv its (no pop), and an occasional stationary heel flip, all circa late 80s.  Have been spending so much time at curb spots/parking lots, that my motivation to go the local skatepark has waned somewhat. I usually only stay for 30-45min, but still love the park (Klamath Falls). I'm going to be 49 in December, any other old dudes in the same boat? Also, just purchased an 8.375 Polar and some Thunder 149 raws to force myself.

Not quite the same thing but I never skated switch/nollie until I was 35. I just always assumed it was out of my league  and that it was too late or whatever. I was skating a low ledge and came out of a FS nose slide fakie and was like, "I should try to ollie" and it kind of worked. That was the spark. I can now do most of my (incredibly limited) bag of tricks switch and it feels really cool.

I think its totally possible to get those tricks back and even learn more, it just takes a certain level of patience that is kind of a luxury when you're older and have less time to skate.

But yeah, you can do it for sure.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2252 on: August 17, 2021, 07:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not quite the same thing but I never skated switch/nollie until I was 35. I just always assumed it was out of my league  and that it was too late or whatever. I was skating a low ledge and came out of a FS nose slide fakie and was like, "I should try to ollie" and it kind of worked. That was the spark. I can now do most of my (incredibly limited) bag of tricks switch and it feels really cool.

I think its totally possible to get those tricks back and even learn more, it just takes a certain level of patience that is kind of a luxury when you're older and have less time to skate.

Thanks man, appreciate the motivation.

Phillyflared

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2253 on: August 17, 2021, 07:47:58 PM »
posted in another thread bit feel like maybe this is the spot

skated my secret curb spot again last weekend.

yep, still skating parking lots by myself at 47

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2254 on: August 17, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I turned 36  back in June and only started trying to skate switch when I was coming back from a KO ankle injury early spring. Pushing switch, ollieing onto pad switch, switch and nollie 180s. and you're right that it requires patience, but for me,  I feel like being able to have the patience is an incredible gift and the only way to skate these days (of course I still get heated and throw tantrums from time to time as a grown man in a high school parking lot). I didn't learn shit when I was coming up because all I wanted to do was skate as fast and as high as was possible. Didn't matter if I only had a few tricks, I'd go all day doing the same damn things because I couldn't slow down enough to try other stuff. Now that I am not currently capable of skating insanely fast, to get the most out of it, I'm skating pretty slow and trying as many new things as possible. It's a strange progression, at least compared to what I imagined old dude skating would be like when I was a young dude.

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2255 on: August 25, 2021, 07:35:10 AM »
nice edit Mattone - I gotta find myself a decent slappy curb.Tried to rub brick on at my ledge spot and lacquered it as well. Having a hard time breaking it in. Ive had some pretty good bails trying to slappy that thing...

Sonny, I learned hardlfips this summer at the tender age of 44. Anything is possbile. Keep trying!

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2256 on: August 25, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
I love this thread. It's demotivating to see one's skills and comfort on the board fade away during the years. In the last 5 years I've had two ankle surgeries (different ankles), broke one wrist, got married, got two kids (aged 2 and 4 now), built a house and stepped up in my career (including more hours...) - obviously not easy to keep up the skating, but I have found joy in skating lower ledges instead of high and keep working on not losing too many tricks. I've gotten into maintaining a local small skatepark and building curbs both at the park and privately (for my own use, and also built a small QP for the kids) at home or at a private warehouse - just for me and my closest friends for those late night sessions.

Set up:
7.87 (I tried to go to 8 but didn't work, I grew up skating in the late 90's and early 00's and that's what works for me)
Thunders
52 Spitfires
Bones Swiss

Preferred terrain: Small ledges, mannys, an occasional low flatbar, hips. Street before skateparks.

Favourite skaters: Puleo, Kalis, Pappalardo, Wenning, G. Mosley, Creager in the Rodney vs Mullen video.

Music:  90's Rap & hiphop.

Married: Yes

Kids: 2 - my 4 year-old almost managed to do his first drop in last weekend.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2257 on: August 25, 2021, 07:21:13 PM »
Haven't felt the urge to bust out the selfie  stand since I tunred 46 but decided to document a quick session today.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #2258 on: August 25, 2021, 07:39:19 PM »
Haven't felt the urge to bust out the selfie  stand since I tunred 46 but decided to document a quick session today.

Nice work slapper!  I just 46 as well.  Have a gnar!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2259 on: August 25, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Cheers @ndsr  Late 40s club :o

dofrenzy

« Reply #2260 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:05 AM »
@Frank and Fred Damn dude, very nice.  If I could do a tiny fraction of that I would consider myself a hardcore skater! 
@xandeo Welcome!  A 4 year old working on dropping in must feel awesome AND scary as shit!
@IusedToSkateMore Dude, with my messed up left knee I tried working on switch on my ramp (made the bad knee my back leg).  Crazy CRAZY difficult for me.  When it seemed like I might *never* do a kick turn in switch I went back to beating up my bad knee in my normal stance.

Adding to my bio here, I am once divorced twice married.

2 daughters, 16 and 13.  The 13 year old just switched to wearing inline aggressive skates on the ramps (after 2+Years of skating ramps with regular street inlines) and I’ve been treasuring our sessions together.

Tomorrow is one year exactly since a wicked slam to both knees.  Planning to throw some video up when I get *ALL 10* of my transition tricks back (still need to attempt bs rock-n-roll and attempts at tail stall insist on scaring the living shit out of me).  I did get my axle stall and feeble stall back last week though, so I am crazy stoked on that, super fun stalls for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2261 on: August 26, 2021, 08:11:40 AM »
@Frank and Fred you fucking killed it, I've got 3 years to catch up to you!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2262 on: August 26, 2021, 11:36:08 AM »

hell yeah!!

this park is so rugged, good job!

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2263 on: August 26, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »

This is my first deck from a non toy store set up that I got back in '97. I had been saving up all summer and then won a little cash at this raffle at my middle school which put me over the top for my goal. My mom drove me to the skateshop a few towns over the very next day. I still remember every part from that set up. If you look close you'll see a sticker for China Bones, remember that's what the called Reds before rebranding.

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2264 on: August 26, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »

Awesome. I do the same stuff by myself also. I wish all the oldies out there could just meet up one-day.  I love a solo session but when it's the norm it gets a little lonely.  I'm 43 and im the only skater left in the village. All my mates live on different islands we communicate through sending little videos of our sessions to each other.  We meet up once a year for a long weekend somewhere and barge hard. Keep it Up!
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

« Reply #2265 on: August 26, 2021, 03:30:18 PM »
I love this thread. It's demotivating to see one's skills and comfort on the board fade away during the years. In the last 5 years I've had two ankle surgeries (different ankles), broke one wrist, got married, got two kids (aged 2 and 4 now), built a house and stepped up in my career (including more hours...) - obviously not easy to keep up the skating, but I have found joy in skating lower ledges instead of high and keep working on not losing too many tricks. I've gotten into maintaining a local small skatepark and building curbs both at the park and privately (for my own use, and also built a small QP for the kids) at home or at a private warehouse - just for me and my closest friends for those late night sessions.

Set up:
7.87 (I tried to go to 8 but didn't work, I grew up skating in the late 90's and early 00's and that's what works for me)
Thunders
52 Spitfires
Bones Swiss

Preferred terrain: Small ledges, mannys, an occasional low flatbar, hips. Street before skateparks.

Favourite skaters: Puleo, Kalis, Pappalardo, Wenning, G. Mosley, Creager in the Rodney vs Mullen video.

You have inspired me to make a new thread. Not sure but I think we could have 'Old Dude Trading Cards'. With little tidbits of info like what you have above. It would be cool to add a photo also but I don't seem to know how to do that on slap???? Shall I pull the trigger?
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

« Reply #2266 on: August 26, 2021, 03:38:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Set up:
Thunders
52 Spitfires
Bones Swiss

[close]
You have inspired me to make a new thread. Not sure but I think we could have 'Old Dude Trading Cards'. With little tidbits of info like what you have above. It would be cool to add a photo also but I don't seem to know how to do that on slap???? Shall I pull the trigger?

Looking back on this thread I see that's how it kind of started out?

Fhk

« Reply #2267 on: August 26, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Set up:
Thunders
52 Spitfires
Bones Swiss

[close]
I provided my photo for my card previously
 in this thread..thank you in advance  ;D

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2268 on: August 26, 2021, 11:53:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hell yeah!!

this park is so rugged, good job!

like everybody said, that was rad, especially considering this is all one session! Props. Thats fs 50 50 looked pretty scary!
as for me I tried to skate a quarterpipe saturday for the first time in years and I was very surprised to find how rusty I was.....I stuck to slash grinds and axle stalls basically. Whereas in my head I still think I got all my old tricks! the disconnect is pretty funny....

anyways Leo Valls got me real inspired to skate flatground so I think I'll just stick to powerslides and shit in the coming months. He makes it look so fun and I just love the way he's still pursuing his own thing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2269 on: August 27, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
Yah, also a Leo Valles fan @OldieButFrenchie I want to try more of that also. No excuses for low impact street skating with inspiration like this.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2270 on: August 27, 2021, 12:18:01 PM »
Today 36 year old me decided to start trying to learn to tre flip.

It's going to be a looooong road getting that trick down, if i can manage it. 360 flips always felt out of reach for me ability wise, but since i learned (i say learned, i've landed about 5) fakie bigflips earlier this year, they seem at least vaguely possible now.

Anyone else old(er) and addicted to flatground? the natural progression seems to be to head for transition once the greys start appearing, but I honestly can't see myself getting away from the flat.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2271 on: August 27, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »

It's going to be a looooong road getting that trick down, if i can manage it. 360 flips always felt out of reach for me ability wise, but since i learned (i say learned, i've landed about 5) fakie bigflips earlier this year, they seem at least vaguely possible now.

Anyone else old(er) and addicted to flatground? the natural progression seems to be to head for transition once the greys start appearing, but I honestly can't see myself getting away from the flat.

+1. I learned to treflip at 17 but did my first drop-in at 21. Not a chance I'm getting into transition, never was my thing.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2272 on: August 27, 2021, 03:02:46 PM »
I love skating transition and always have, but I spend most of my time now doing little flatground tricks, shuving over cracks and shit.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2273 on: August 27, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
39 years old. Been skating on and off since the late 80's. Never been that good but always loved it.

Trying to patch up the bottom of my terrible bag of tricks so they stop falling out.

Fhk

« Reply #2274 on: August 27, 2021, 07:18:57 PM »

I'm with you. I do have a little 3' 1/4 pipe to warm up
on. I will always be addicted to flatground. At 44 I am losing tricks and consistency, but that's what drives me. There is no better feeling then catching a clean fliptrick for me. Flatground is where it started for me and ironically where it will end when my legs no longer work.

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2275 on: August 27, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
I’m only 31 but my knees kinda suck from working construction since I was 19 (should’ve worn pads on concrete jobs more  :-\). For the life of me I can’t figure out transition besides dropping in and rock and rolls, so any chance I get to skate I’m just stomping my flat tricks too hard or fucking around on ledges.

I live right by FDR too so I should really buck up and learn to do transition stuff.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2276 on: August 27, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »

fellow 36. yeah boy. lol I was messaging with another pal the other day and he said about a video I shared "I love watching older people skate, I'm 27..." I was like damn, G, the gray hair is doing me in...

anyways, I'm low key trying to throw 360 flips for the first time as well. I'm sitting on an 8.5 with 159s and it feels a little bulky for them and my legs, so I'm hoping that the 8.3 with ACE 44s will flip a little more. I've got fake big spins down pretty nice and the big flips aren't so far off either but I feel like it's a vastly different trick, like it requires less power or something.

you'll get it!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2277 on: August 30, 2021, 04:41:43 AM »

Count me in on that addiction.  My sessions are exclusively flatground, slappies and manuals.  I'm 48 and I've made it my mission to add 360 flips to my limited bag.  I never really put any real effort into them in the past but I'm putting some good time into them almost every sesh now.  I'm getting really close too, I just need to get my weight a bit more back and get the correct back foot follow-through after popping as I'm landing just barely ahead of the board. 

Now bigspins, that trick has me utterly baffled.  I just can't keep the board under me.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2278 on: August 30, 2021, 06:58:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Count me in on that addiction.  My sessions are exclusively flatground, slappies and manuals.  I'm 48 and I've made it my mission to add 360 flips to my limited bag.  I never really put any real effort into them in the past but I'm putting some good time into them almost every sesh now.  I'm getting really close too, I just need to get my weight a bit more back and get the correct back foot follow-through after popping as I'm landing just barely ahead of the board. 

Now bigspins, that trick has me utterly baffled.  I just can't keep the board under me.

I am 43 strictly skating street flat/curbs/ledges with no intention to   become a park skater. A year after my return to skateboarding after a long hiatus I have kickflips on lock (albeit mostly rockets) and recently also learned heelflips, much to my surprise. In the 90s frontside flips were my signature trick but I am afraid trying to relearn them will ruin my kickflip game so I am naturally thinking about 360 flips. I never had them but I really would like to push myself and give them a try sometime soon. It‘s definitely encouraging to know that other old dudes are out there willing to take up the challenge.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Phillyflared

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2279 on: August 30, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Awesome. I do the same stuff by myself also. I wish all the oldies out there could just meet up one-day.  I love a solo session but when it's the norm it gets a little lonely.  I'm 43 and im the only skater left in the village. All my mates live on different islands we communicate through sending little videos of our sessions to each other.  We meet up once a year for a long weekend somewhere and barge hard. Keep it Up!
Motivation is hard to come by sometimes when I am solo. I'm usually good for my go to's then maybe kick around something I've been trying/working on but not a whole lot more than that lately. Miss playing skate, even old man skate (no flip tricks) with my friends.
BTW was back at the curb spot again yesterday...I really need to go skate someplace else