Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304342 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2280 on: August 31, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Today 36 year old me decided to start trying to learn to tre flip.

It's going to be a looooong road getting that trick down, if i can manage it. 360 flips always felt out of reach for me ability wise, but since i learned (i say learned, i've landed about 5) fakie bigflips earlier this year, they seem at least vaguely possible now.

Anyone else old(er) and addicted to flatground? the natural progression seems to be to head for transition once the greys start appearing, but I honestly can't see myself getting away from the flat.
[close]

Count me in on that addiction.  My sessions are exclusively flatground, slappies and manuals.  I'm 48 and I've made it my mission to add 360 flips to my limited bag.  I never really put any real effort into them in the past but I'm putting some good time into them almost every sesh now.  I'm getting really close too, I just need to get my weight a bit more back and get the correct back foot follow-through after popping as I'm landing just barely ahead of the board. 

Now bigspins, that trick has me utterly baffled.  I just can't keep the board under me.
[close]

I am 43 strictly skating street flat/curbs/ledges with no intention to   become a park skater. A year after my return to skateboarding after a long hiatus I have kickflips on lock (albeit mostly rockets) and recently also learned heelflips, much to my surprise. In the 90s frontside flips were my signature trick but I am afraid trying to relearn them will ruin my kickflip game so I am naturally thinking about 360 flips. I never had them but I really would like to push myself and give them a try sometime soon. It‘s definitely encouraging to know that other old dudes are out there willing to take up the challenge.

I land a 360 flip about once every dozen sessions but I was never super consistent with flip tricks (maybe 92/93). Anyway, as long as I land a few 360 flips a year I remain stoked. The feeling or landing a solid one is amazing. Sometimes it surprises me and then I just pick up my board and walk home. I mostly skate parks but flat ground is my little zen place at age 46. No expectations and repeated failure with the occasional break through. Love it.

Uncle Jeffrey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #2281 on: August 31, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »
Had a very vivid dream last night, which is rare for me, of going to my "curb spot" and it was the raddest old man shit. Mellow little rolling banks leading to curving slappy curbs, and even ride-on curbs, a couple low ledges, etc.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2282 on: August 31, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
Back skating for the past 2 years after a 15 year break (work etc etc got in the way) and addicted again. Skating is feeling better than it did in my late teens.

8.38 krooked
148 Thunder Hollow
Bones 52mm
Reds
SC Rails
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:44:06 PM by Ride it to dust »

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2283 on: September 09, 2021, 11:43:06 PM »
Got inspired by @frankandfred to finally learn bluntslides.

The sidewalk next to this curb is so rough it needed a lot more wax than I’d rubbed before but it worked!

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2284 on: September 10, 2021, 01:54:30 AM »
Got inspired by @frankandfred to finally learn bluntslides.

Got me stoked, nice work dude!   

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2285 on: September 10, 2021, 02:47:38 AM »
40 in 2 months, trying to learn 40 tricks this year. Here's one I recently got:

Building my own grind boxes and stuff is good fun.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2286 on: September 10, 2021, 05:22:01 AM »
nice jory and frank!

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2287 on: September 12, 2021, 09:44:20 PM »
44 years old

Got my first real board in 88 and skated every day until 95. Never quit completely, but went from everyday to once a month when I turned 18. Have averaged once a month since then. Was a bowl barney for many years, but have recently switched back to curbs after serious knee injuries on transition. Will probably finish my days on curbs with some small occasional bowl carving.

8.5 Beer City popsicle
Indy 159s
OJ Elite Hardline 99a 53mm

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #2288 on: September 12, 2021, 10:16:03 PM »
Turning 46 this year, and just learned slappy smiths. Don’t let anyone say you’re too old to follow your dreams.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2289 on: September 13, 2021, 01:52:20 AM »
Turning 46 this year, and just learned slappy smiths. Don’t let anyone say you’re too old to follow your dreams.

Someone gnar this man for me pls.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2290 on: September 13, 2021, 02:41:36 AM »
49 is inching closer and my knees are finally starting to complain.  I thought being the world's slowest skater might save some wear and tear on them but nope, my knees are saying 'fuck that' to another session today after yesterday's gnarfest

https://imgur.com/a/Z5JTaHp

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2291 on: September 13, 2021, 06:30:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Done and done.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2292 on: September 13, 2021, 06:31:17 AM »
49 is inching closer and my knees are finally starting to complain.  I thought being the world's slowest skater might save some wear and tear on them but nope, my knees are saying 'fuck that' to another session today after yesterday's gnarfest

Great pop and hair for 48, mate!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #2293 on: September 13, 2021, 06:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Done and done.
Thank you kindly, both of you
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2294 on: September 13, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Done and done.
[close]
Thank you kindly, both of you

Cheers bruh.
why come?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2295 on: September 13, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »
I haven't posted in this thread in awhile, and there seems to be some new peeps, so I'll do a reintro...

47. Been skating non-stop (except major injuries) since I was 11-years-old. Badly broke my leg in 2019 (see injury thread) and didn't skate for a year. That b/s disaster in my sig file is me (circa 2018). Mostly skate mini ramps (with pads these days) and curbs. I'll be going until the wheels fall off.

-8.25/14.38 DLX
-Indy 144 Ti
-Spit Classics 53/99
-Swiss 6
-Powell Rib Bones (tried rails again 9 months ago, and instantly wondered why the hell I had ever taken them off 30 years ago).
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #2296 on: September 13, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
35, skate mostly street, ledges and manny pads, currently riding an 8.38 Real, 54mm loopholes, and ventures.
Been riding a skateboard since I was 6 years old, I don’t nearly go out as much as I used to, prolly cut it down to 2 times a week, have one son, who isn’t interested in skateboarding, and living in Austin Texas
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2297 on: September 13, 2021, 10:26:46 PM »
-Powell Rib Bones (tried rails again 9 months ago, and instantly wondered why the hell I had ever taken them off 30 years ago).

Forgot to list rails in my above bio. Have Rad Railz (the extra thick ones because I thought they’d wear down which they don’t) on my current board. Also, first time rocking rails since 1989. Have mixed feelings about them. Slide great on curbs, but scare me on metal. Also, prefer the look of a deck without rails.

P.S I binge read your blog a couple months ago and loved it!

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2298 on: September 14, 2021, 12:48:35 AM »
Expand Quote
49 is inching closer and my knees are finally starting to complain. 
[close]

Great pop and hair for 48, mate!

Cheers!  I blame lockdown.

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2299 on: September 14, 2021, 12:53:53 AM »

Sick.  I'd love to have a curb that was tall enough for smiths.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2300 on: September 14, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forgot to list rails in my above bio. Have Rad Railz (the extra thick ones because I thought they’d wear down which they don’t) on my current board. Also, first time rocking rails since 1989. Have mixed feelings about them. Slide great on curbs, but scare me on metal. Also, prefer the look of a deck without rails.

(1) Blog: thanks for the kind words.

(2) Rails: They can be a bit scary on metal, but still think they give a way more predictable/consistent slide. And despite being a "born again" rail convert, I absolutely agree, decks w/o them look way cooler. To that end, I often ride my board for a few days when it's new, and then put rails on. Best of both worlds. ;)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2301 on: September 14, 2021, 07:36:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

(2) Rails: They can be a bit scary on metal, but still think they give a way more predictable/consistent slide. And despite being a "born again" rail convert, I absolutely agree, decks w/o them look way cooler. To that end, I often ride my board for a few days when it's new, and then put rails on. Best of both worlds. ;)

Sorry but that sounds like the worst of both worlds to me, to destroy the graphic and then put the rails on. Best of both worlds would be put the rails on directly and thus protect the graphic and once the board is well used, take off the rails and finish it.
why come?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2302 on: September 14, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry but that sounds like the worst of both worlds to me, to destroy the graphic and then put the rails on. Best of both worlds would be put the rails on directly and thus protect the graphic and once the board is well used, take off the rails and finish it.

People over 12-years-old care about graphics?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2303 on: September 14, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
1 rail is the answer!
(Although I haven’t rocked rails in a long long time…)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 59
« Reply #2304 on: September 15, 2021, 05:12:55 AM »
44 years on the planet, on a board more or less since 1987. There were years with less action, drank too much and gained some weight which I've now lost as I got off the booze few years back. My sessions nowadays are mostly trying to re-learn old stuff and enjoy the feeling of a successful three trick line, no matter how simple. Sometimes I still learn new tricks, those days are golden. I love street spots, but due to lack of time and energy often go to skateparks. An hour of high intensity skating usually does it for me. I skate mostly by myself, randomly meeting people in parks and spots. Scheduling with other skaters is just too much hassle nowadays, it's easier to get the board and hit it whenever window of opportunity opens.

Every second on board is a gift.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:20:10 AM by Bongwater Mojito »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2305 on: September 15, 2021, 06:42:44 AM »

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2306 on: September 15, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2307 on: September 15, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »

Ever one foot your half cab?
looks basically there

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2308 on: September 16, 2021, 01:04:18 AM »
Ever one foot your half cab?
looks basically there

Ha!  Great minds think alike.  Yeah I noticed that and I'll give 'em a fair go over the next few sessions.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2309 on: September 16, 2021, 02:07:18 AM »
so I was really looking forward to having a little session tomorrow (weather looks good, a little time off work, and I try to skate at least once a week to get my groove back).....and now I find out my youngest son has to stay in quarantine for at least a week. One of his teachers is positive....and now I wonder if she's had the vax buuuut let's not get into that. so I'll have to watch him instead of going skating. Except if I can convince him to go skating too, but usually he's not into it. Fuck!! I mean, I love spending time with my kids, don't get me wrong but this pandemic is really getting to me after 2 years of this crap   :-X :-X  Plus kids have been at home enough, they need to see their mates and shit. It just sucks all around.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:14:04 AM by OldieButFrenchie »