Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304351 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 236
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2310 on: September 16, 2021, 02:57:26 AM »
so I was really looking forward to having a little session tomorrow (weather looks good, a little time off work, and I try to skate at least once a week to get my groove back).....and now I find out my youngest son has to stay in quarantine for at least a week. One of his teachers is positive....and now I wonder if she's had the vax buuuut let's not get into that. so I'll have to watch him instead of going skating. Except if I can convince him to go skating too, but usually he's not into it. Fuck!! I mean, I love spending time with my kids, don't get me wrong but this pandemic is really getting to me after 2 years of this crap   :-X :-X  Plus kids have been at home enough, they need to see their mates and shit. It just sucks all around.

Man, same shit here. Wanted to go skate yesterday with my son but since somone at work was exposed, I am playing it safe and staying away until we can find out if my co worker has it. I’ve been vax’ed (I am neutral on people getting it or not, it’s a personal choice) but passing covid on to my son (or wife) not something I am interested in. We’ll skate soon, skateboarding isn’t going anywhere.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2311 on: September 24, 2021, 03:44:41 AM »

still not doing any tricks, but at least I'm getting out of the house and sweating!  :P

(in any case I don't recommend doing tricks in this death trap of a bowl: loads of broken glass in the -pretty short- flatbottom)

drcroc

« Reply #2312 on: September 24, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »

still not doing any tricks, but at least I'm getting out of the house and sweating!  :P

(in any case I don't recommend doing tricks in this death trap of a bowl: loads of broken glass in the -pretty short- flatbottom)

Pretty good skating in the bowl. Got any flatground?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2313 on: September 25, 2021, 03:30:46 AM »
nah I'm horrible at flatground! No kickflips, no flip tricks at all....My most tech trick is probably a no comply revert! I guess I could relearn heelflips or pop-shoves but I would have to go so slow it would not be really satisfying. I guess I'm a slash dog at heart. I'd rather do a good ollie going fast than a shitty-looking kickflip going super slow. But in all honesty I have no idea how guys over 40 still have pop and tech tricks. I sure wish I did!
to compensate I've been trying to learn powerslide variations, inspired by Leo Valls, but damn they are hard too! I tried those fakie to forward one foot powerslide and I got close, but it's way harder than I expected   :P

dofrenzy

« Reply #2314 on: September 25, 2021, 06:06:01 AM »

Really nice bowl carving and your smile at the end says it all!

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #2315 on: September 25, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2316 on: September 25, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
Fun looking bowl @OldieButFrenchie !

Quick clip from yesterday. Sessioned with my 57 year old pal. He's the last clip doing the layback... He learned slappies at 55 and was getting some decent little ollies in this park yesterday.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2317 on: September 26, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
>DoFrenzy thanks! I was just relieved I did not eat shit/happy to be back in the mix    :-X

>Frank and Fred: those short edits of yours are nice man! I like the vibe. Also congrats to your pal, laybacks are kind of a dream trick to me, they look beautiful....I remember trying them for a whole afternoon when I was 16 and landing 2 out of probably 200! so no way I could put that type of effort in now.

drcroc

« Reply #2318 on: October 02, 2021, 03:45:05 PM »
nah I'm horrible at flatground! No kickflips, no flip tricks at all....My most tech trick is probably a no comply revert! I guess I could relearn heelflips or pop-shoves but I would have to go so slow it would not be really satisfying. I guess I'm a slash dog at heart. I'd rather do a good ollie going fast than a shitty-looking kickflip going super slow. But in all honesty I have no idea how guys over 40 still have pop and tech tricks. I sure wish I did!
to compensate I've been trying to learn powerslide variations, inspired by Leo Valls, but damn they are hard too! I tried those fakie to forward one foot powerslide and I got close, but it's way harder than I expected   :P

I was never good at flat-ground either. I literally just stopped trying flip tricks all together for like 3-4 years in my mid-20s. I eventually figured out heelflips, fakie big spins, and some shuv variations but that's as good as I got. And that took me months of skating every day, which I can't do anymore because I have arthritis.

I feel like I can still skate a little but the best I might be able to do would be a manual on a curb somewhere or something. My pop is non-existent. 

Been trying to think of tricks on flat that are easy, look cool, and low impact.  Any ideas?

Fhk

« Reply #2319 on: October 02, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was never good at flat-ground either. I literally just stopped trying flip tricks all together for like 3-4 years in my mid-20s. I eventually figured out heelflips, fakie big spins, and some shuv variations but that's as good as I got. And that took me months of skating every day, which I can't do anymore because I have arthritis.

I feel like I can still skate a little but the best I might be able to do would be a manual on a curb somewhere or something. My pop is non-existent. 

Been trying to think of tricks on flat that are easy, look cool, and low impact.  Any ideas?
Do you want to learn fliptricks or just any flat ground tricks?

drcroc

« Reply #2320 on: October 02, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Prob done with flip tricks at this point. 

drcroc

« Reply #2321 on: October 02, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fhk

« Reply #2322 on: October 02, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I would think shuvit variations and no comply variations (I'm assuming there because I've never had no-complys) would be low impact and plenty of fun. Also different ollie variations. I don't know the level of your pain, but maybe don't count out kickflips and heelflips just yet  ;)

drcroc

« Reply #2323 on: October 02, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I would think shuvit variations and no comply variations (I'm assuming there because I've never had no-complys) would be low impact and plenty of fun. Also different ollie variations. I don't know the level of your pain, but maybe don't count out kickflips and heelflips just yet  ;)

I think I'm just gonna try for shuv variations and potentially some really mellow manuals. I'd like to pop into a manual on something... like a fairly low to the ground box or something.

I feel like nollie stuff is something i never tried growing up skating and probably should've spent more time on.

I'm supposed to get a cortisone shot soon. Hopefully it works well.

Fhk

« Reply #2324 on: October 02, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think I'm just gonna try for shuv variations and potentially some really mellow manuals. I'd like to pop into a manual on something... like a fairly low to the ground box or something.

I feel like nollie stuff is something i never tried growing up skating and probably should've spent more time on.

I'm supposed to get a cortisone shot soon. Hopefully it works well.
Hell ya! Let us know if you need any tips along the way! I hope your shot helps you out.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2325 on: October 03, 2021, 05:50:01 AM »
I am doing a lot less arm flapping as I continually practice my line and try to add a proper tail-stall at the end.  I am super sketched out by this stall and it’s taking forever to work up but it goes better bit by bit.

This cooler weather is great for longer sessions.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2326 on: October 03, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »
I am doing a lot less arm flapping as I continually practice my line and try to add a proper tail-stall at the end.  I am super sketched out by this stall and it’s taking forever to work up but it goes better bit by bit.

This cooler weather is great for longer sessions.

I am seeing a lot of progress! Well done!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2327 on: October 03, 2021, 10:18:24 AM »
looking super smooth!! that mini is not as easy as it looks and you’re handling it!!

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #2328 on: October 03, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »
Long week on a huge clusterfuck of a project.  The silver lining was we had a few parks nearby and lunchtime sessions ensued..

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUgQhoIlY_5/?utm_medium=copy_link
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:10:39 AM by stupidfuckface »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2329 on: October 03, 2021, 11:24:59 AM »
Long week on a huge clusterfuck of a project.  The silver lining was we had a few parks nearby and lunchtime sessions ensued..

Sick, in particular the frontside flip in the miniramp!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dofrenzy

« Reply #2330 on: October 03, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »
I am seeing a lot of progress! Well done!

@Easy Slider I appreciate the support, thank you.  I dedicate a little time to a specific trick, but spend most of my time trying to add a trick to my line, so for every decent tail-stall, I’ve done a dozen drop-ins, axle and feeble stalls, etc.  And doing 2 half-cob-rocks to fakie in a row feels like showing off for me.  Funny how everything just gets more natural feeling with a short-ton of practice.

looking super smooth!! that mini is not as easy as it looks and you’re handling it!!

@camp chill yourself Brother!  You say it isn’t easy but you showed up and shredded this mini like it had been in *your* yard for a year!  I think of your 5-0 stall every time I skate now so I am bound to get it some day.  Thanks for checking into the old people thread here!

dofrenzy

« Reply #2331 on: October 03, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »

yeah, I agree with Easy Slider, that frontside flip in transition was gnarly, but everything looked great.  Must be nice to have some friends at work to session with.

Fhk

« Reply #2332 on: October 03, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
Old guy setup question.. I am still stuck in a identity crisis when it comes to my setup. I skate everything these days and nothing feels just right. My best days were on 7.5-7.75 so I would think that's what I should still skate. I have fun on 9" setups but Im stuck on flip trick consistency or preserving what little of them I have left, and those are not helping. Have any of you gone through this? If so what did you settle on? And why?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2333 on: October 03, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
I've been all over the place the last few years and honestly I think consistency is your friend. I experimented with short wheelbases. 13.75 to 14.25 (Couch shape, Chico's shape and a few others in the 9" range) and I think that helped relearn some flip tricks but then I jumped back on a 14.75" and my flip tricks just felt more solid. These days I either skate the Cardiel 9.18" shape with  8.75" or 9" trucks  or a nice full 8.5" pop with a 14.25" wb. I find wheel size is a safer thing to mess with. 55 and under for street. 55 and over for transition. I'm trying to stick to similar set ups from now.

The best thing I did for my skateboarding in general though was probably 15 or so years ago and that was wider, looser set ups and not being afraid of smaller wheels. In the late 90s thru mid 2000s, I was riding 8" to 8.25" (usually with a long WB) with tight trucks and 58mm or 60mm wheels and it became very unfun despite my love of Eastern Exposure 3.

Fhk

« Reply #2334 on: October 03, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »
I've been all over the place the last few years and honestly I think consistency is your friend. I experimented with short wheelbases. 13.75 to 14.25 (Couch shape, Chico's shape and a few others in the 9" range) and I think that helped relearn some flip tricks but then I jumped back on a 14.75" and my flip tricks just felt more solid. These days I either skate the Cardiel 9.18" shape with  8.75" or 9" trucks  or a nice full 8.5" pop with a 14.25" wb. I find wheel size is a safer thing to mess with. 55 and under for street. 55 and over for transition. I'm trying to stick to similar set ups from now.

The best thing I did for my skateboarding in general though was probably 15 or so years ago and that was wider, looser set ups and not being afraid of smaller wheels. In the late 90s thru mid 2000s, I was riding 8" to 8.25" (usually with a long WB) with tight trucks and 58mm or 60mm wheels and it became very unfun despite my love of Eastern Exposure 3.
It's funny you mention the looser trucks and wheel size. I just started riding pretty loose trucks with 54-56 on most of my setups. Idk why I just backed the nut off one day and stuck with it. That I have figured out, the rest is madness.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2335 on: October 05, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
Still old, still rolling, still occasionally learning new stuff.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2336 on: October 06, 2021, 12:01:34 AM »

out of curiosity, what was your problem with big wheels? I've been riding 58 mm for the last 15 years.....and loose trucks. Plus a small riser pad to avoid wheel byte!

->Jordy 4 : that was cool! I wish I had a slappy curb near my house....the only one I know is in this plaza that's so full of skaters/scooters/kids, it's only skateable (to me at least) before noon or something.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2337 on: October 06, 2021, 07:44:40 AM »
@OldieButFrenchie

I lost all my flip tricks. It wasn't until I tried 54mms again that I started getting them back. I like big wheels but a nice lower to ground, loose and wide set up just feels good to me to get some tricks going. 55/ 56 would be my compromise but I usually end up with two set ups. One with smaller wheels and one with 58s for bigger transition. Also, I feel wheels are better now than they were in the 2000s. with F4s and Bones you can still get good speed with a smaller wheel.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2338 on: October 07, 2021, 05:39:24 AM »
@OldieButFrenchie

I lost all my flip tricks. It wasn't until I tried 54mms again that I started getting them back. I like big wheels but a nice lower to ground, loose and wide set up just feels good to me to get some tricks going. 55/ 56 would be my compromise but I usually end up with two set ups. One with smaller wheels and one with 58s for bigger transition. Also, I feel wheels are better now than they were in the 2000s. with F4s and Bones you can still get good speed with a smaller wheel.

oh right that makes sense then, that I don't mind, as I don't do flip tricks at all !

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2339 on: October 07, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »
Not two dudes I would typically have much interest in but this podcast was a pretty good listen regarding getting into your late 40s and 50s, skateboarding, losing, relearning and surrendering tricks. Also the rapport between them works really well. I was surprised that I enjoyed it.