Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304322 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2370 on: October 10, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
I wear hip pads. They have literally saved my ass dozens of times from freak accidents.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2371 on: October 10, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
Just my experience here but I grew up street skating but always loved all terrain. About 25, i thought I was old and mostly skated parks and transition. My mid 30s I started skating street again. At 46, I really enjoy variety. Flat, hills, pools, bowls... whatever. Spice it up. Just go with what feels good, never force anything.

I really think being open to everything is really what is going to promote longevity in skateboarding. Forcing yourself to skate one way b/c that's what you define as optimum skateboarding is a potential recipe for disappointment and injury. 

Statements like, "Retiring to transition feels like giving up to me. Seen it a million times. It’s the last step before quitting altogether" is just absolute nonsense.

That’s why I said that part is just my personal preference. But yes, in my experience, the friends who stopped coming street skating in favour of the bowl or mini ramp soon are only skating once a month, and then they just say stuff like “ nah, I don’t wanna risk hurting myself cause I won’t be able to work”, and that’s their choice, I just find it depressing. The same guys who start only going to the bowl are, more often than not, the guys who crack a beer and sit down when they get to the spot/park … and that’s way more of a transition skating thing. I’ve personally known countless dudes who followed that trajectory, and they start to whine about how they can’t skate like they used to all the time as an excuse for why they just sit and drink beer. Duh, if the first thing you do is crack a beer and sit down, you’re not trying anymore, and skateboarding is hard. You can’t expect to just drink beer and get fat but still get up and skate like you used to.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 01:32:35 PM by BugleBites »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2372 on: October 10, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. I love beer but I don't drink at all during a session anymore and go through long periods of not drinking at all. I swear booze is terrible for inflammation, slowing  healing and just generally dealing with the daily aches and pains. And yes, I do see a lot of that with the 30 and 40 something bowl barney crowd.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #2373 on: October 10, 2021, 01:46:19 PM »
It's 2021 boys.....if those guys are still skating....they are skating curbs....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2374 on: October 10, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »
C’mon, pads on mini ramp? It’s a MINI ramp. Just slide onto your butt or walk out of any missed trick like a normal person.
I dread the day I feel like I can only skate transition, just not appealing to me, and I used to own a mini ramp. I’m 44 and still skating street, ledges. I honestly doubt I’ll ever retire to transition skating, I’ll probably just call it when I can’t do enough on street to be satisfied. I sure as hell ain’t buying pads. That shit is for vert.

Uncalled for response. You do you. People who bash people who wear pads are just as obnoxious as people who insist that others should wear them. Both are turboclowns. Don’t be one of those.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

BugleBites

« Reply #2375 on: October 10, 2021, 02:21:29 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. I love beer but I don't drink at all during a session anymore and go through long periods of not drinking at all. I swear booze is terrible for inflammation, slowing  healing and just generally dealing with the daily aches and pains. And yes, I do see a lot of that with the 30 and 40 something bowl barney crowd.

I guess I should have mentioned my frustration comes from some of my own friends who definitely fell victim to the beer and sit on your ass and complain you can’t skate like you used to syndrome. Lots of guys who were ripping but basically became alcoholics. It’s sad, really. These dudes are mostly younger than me too.

The other thing that gets on my nerves is only skating curb spots. I love a curb sesh, but that takes no energy and is great for when you’ve worn yourself out skating something else. I can’t get down with going to a curb spot as the main event, unless it’s some kellen James amazing gem in SD. Even then, they’re best for the wind down, and I’ll gladly down a beer or have a puff at that point too.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2376 on: October 10, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
C’mon, pads on mini ramp? It’s a MINI ramp. Just slide onto your butt or walk out of any missed trick like a normal person.
I dread the day I feel like I can only skate transition, just not appealing to me, and I used to own a mini ramp. I’m 44 and still skating street, ledges. I honestly doubt I’ll ever retire to transition skating, I’ll probably just call it when I can’t do enough on street to be satisfied. I sure as hell ain’t buying pads. That shit is for vert.
[close]

do you ever find yourself skating alone frequently? if so, do you ever wonder why?
[close]

Nah I have a great network of friends, but that did come of harsher than it needed to. Apologies. But yeah, you don’t need pads on mini ramp. Elbows can help, even wrists, but if you’re knee sliding on mini you’re risking more injury than you need to for the size of what you’re skating.

The rest of that was just my personal preference. Retiring to transition feels like giving up to me. Seen it a million times. It’s the last step before quitting altogether.

Edit: I should qualify my opinion … I’ve worked at indoor parks where I see lots of older guys fully padded up, jumping hard to their knees any time they mess up, and it just looks brutal. It’s not necessary, at all, and harder on your body than sliding onto your butt or just walking out. It’s also bad for your ankles because they fold under you. And I see people teaching kids to jump to their knees on street etc as well, which is just plain wrong. You’re gonna be hating that decision to keep jumping to your knees when it’s much easier just to walk out of a trick, or slide onto your butt if you’re worried about a knee tweak.

Jumping to your knees is not how kneepads are supposed to be used. Anyone doing that is doing it horrifically wrong. Like mentioned earlier in the thread, the proper technique is like sitting in a chair; it’s a controlled “let down” when the situation calls for it. And agreed, tons of old dudes have no idea how to use pads effectively, and might be doing more harm than good.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2377 on: October 10, 2021, 02:53:15 PM »

I love a curb sesh, but that takes no energy and is great for when you’ve worn yourself out skating something else.

Just when you were beginning to make sense ;D

Curbs take as much energy as you want to give them.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2378 on: October 10, 2021, 03:04:02 PM »
Expand Quote

I love a curb sesh, but that takes no energy and is great for when you’ve worn yourself out skating something else.
[close]

Not sure why people seem to sometimes think that other people’s Stoke has meet their own standards. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #2379 on: October 10, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »
Surprise...a bunch of old dudes who, think their way is the right one.....

I would never wish what I think is rad on anyone.....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2380 on: October 10, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »
Surprise...a bunch of old dudes who, think their way is the right one.....

I would never wish what I think is rad on anyone.....

Well said.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2381 on: October 10, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »
@dofrenzy

Beautiful slam, bro. Absolutely beautiful ;)

Mini ramps have always bugged me out. I love skating pool/bowl, but riding fakie has never made sense. Good on you for getting it down dude!!!

@IusedToSkateMore. LOL, thanks Bro!

I hope showing my slam has gained me some skate cred here!  I remember when I introduced myself in April-ish 2019 (I had just learned to drop in to a 4ft. QP) at least one member seriously wondered if a 50 year-old could take a slam.  As we can see I am taking the slams like a champ….errrr, or like an idiot?  Fuck it, I’m going with champ!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2382 on: October 10, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »
Expand Quote
@dofrenzy

Mini ramps have always bugged me out. I love skating pool/bowl, but riding fakie has never made sense. Good on you for getting it down dude!!!
[close]

I hope showing my slam has gained me some skate cred here!  I remember when I introduced myself in April-ish 2019 (I had just learned to drop in to a 4ft. QP) at least one member seriously wondered if a 50 year-old could take a slam.  As we can see I am taking the slams like a champ….errrr, or like an idiot?  Fuck it, I’m going with champ!

Champ/idiot, let’s not get caught up in semantics. You’re skating, that’s what counts the most. :)

BugleBites

« Reply #2383 on: October 10, 2021, 03:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not sure why people seem to sometimes think that other people’s Stoke has meet their own standards.

That’s not what I’m saying. I grew up with nothing but curbs to skate and I now live in a city with loads of options, I’m not gonna skate curbs as the main spot, that’s just me. I prefer to push myself and keep my pop up. And if you wanna pad up to skate mini, by all means, go ahead. It’s Slap, we talk shit on here. I think padding up on a mini ramp looks hilarious. I slam hard all the time, still not gonna pad up and start knee sliding like I just bailed on a vert ramp lol. My ankles would be killing me if I was knee sliding on the regular.

Everyone is free to do whatever they want. What I don’t understand is why people on here seem to think offering an opinion means you’re telling others what to do/think. You do you.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2384 on: October 10, 2021, 04:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s not what I’m saying. I grew up with nothing but curbs to skate and I now live in a city with loads of options, I’m not gonna skate curbs as the main spot, that’s just me. I prefer to push myself and keep my pop up. And if you wanna pad up to skate mini, by all means, go ahead. It’s Slap, we talk shit on here. I think padding up on a mini ramp looks hilarious. I slam hard all the time, still not gonna pad up and start knee sliding like I just bailed on a vert ramp lol. My ankles would be killing me if I was knee sliding on the regular.

Everyone is free to do whatever they want. What I don’t understand is why people on here seem to think offering an opinion means you’re telling others what to do/think. You do you.

I get you. Indeed, it’s slap. If things comes across as sounding pejorative, people will respond. A few of your comments kind of came across that way. •shrugs•

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2385 on: October 10, 2021, 04:19:58 PM »
skateboarding is all about subjectivity. everyone’s taste and experience may differ. for instance, i think it’s way funnier to picture a 46 year old showing up in full love park uniform trying to “keep his pop up” than someone skating a mini in full pads.

even funnier when they talk about how they’d fall on transition that they admittedly don’t skate. but hey, it’s all about subjectivity :)

BugleBites

« Reply #2386 on: October 10, 2021, 04:26:46 PM »
skateboarding is all about subjectivity. everyone’s taste and experience may differ. for instance, i think it’s way funnier to picture a 46 year old showing up in full love park uniform trying to “keep his pop up” than someone skating a mini in full pads.

even funnier when they talk about how they’d fall on transition that they admittedly don’t skate. but hey, it’s all about subjectivity :)

Yeah I’m definitely not going for that 2000/2001 John Shanahan vibe, tho I do like his skating. I’ve pretty much always worn semi loose, fairly normal shit. Nice try tho!😉

I can skate transition just fine. As I mentioned, I’ve owned my own ramp and worked at multiple indoor parks. I’m not gonna try to speak on something I have no experience in.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2387 on: October 10, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »

Good visual. I laughed when I read that. Too true.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2388 on: October 10, 2021, 04:59:07 PM »
@BugleBites I think you’ve made some good points here.  Some people are making knee-slides a part of their skate bag and it is potentially injurious.  I personally have become better at jumping or stepping out to bail but as my video showed (I think) I made a habit of stepping out but the board moved with my foot and I brought myself back into the ramp with a really bad positioning.  I will work on crouching/collapsing if for no reason other than a safer bail.

I also know I look hilarious to some people all padded up with a helmet.  At my age (52+ now) I am *mostly* past caring what other people think about my appearance.  Of course I still care about that stuff a little bit, but this is skateboarding after all, it’s not like I’m out there trying to land a six-figure job and worried if my helmet clashes with my suit-jacket.

Anyway, you definitely make some valid points.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2389 on: October 10, 2021, 05:01:48 PM »

Champ/idiot, let’s not get caught up in semantics. You’re skating, that’s what counts the most. :)

LOL, I love this place.

BugleBites

« Reply #2390 on: October 10, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
@BugleBites I think you’ve made some good points here.  Some people are making knee-slides a part of their skate bag and it is potentially injurious.  I personally have become better at jumping or stepping out to bail but as my video showed (I think) I made a habit of stepping out but the board moved with my foot and I brought myself back into the ramp with a really bad positioning.  I will work on crouching/collapsing if for no reason other than a safer bail.

I also know I look hilarious to some people all padded up with a helmet.  At my age (52+ now) I am *mostly* past caring what other people think about my appearance.  Of course I still care about that stuff a little bit, but this is skateboarding after all, it’s not like I’m out there trying to land a six-figure job and worried if my helmet clashes with my suit-jacket.

Anyway, you definitely make some valid points.

I didn’t watch the video strictly because the comments made me think I was gonna watch a bad slam and I hate watching slams, but I’d say do whatever feels safe for you when it comes to safety gear. Your butt can take way more abuse than the rest of your body which is why I have always defaulted to just sliding down the transition on my ass or back if I fuck up bad enough. Think of the transition as a slide you can use for aborted tricks. Doesn’t mean you won’t take awkward slams, but to do a knee slide you pretty much have to be falling in a certain, controlled way, and if that’s the case my professional opinion (I’ve taught many skate lessons and camps) is to slide on your butt instead of compressing your knee joint and folding your ankles under you, risking a sprain.

The thing you really need to watch out for is getting zooted out and placing your arm down with your weight on it, or hitting your head. That’s why I’d suggest a helmet and wrist guards way before knee pads. Knee pads are truly meant for larger transitions. I firmly believe that teaching kids to knee slide on anything else is straight up wrong. I’ve seen kids that are so used to kneeslides jumping to their knees down a set of stairs at the park and it’s painful to watch. Do that enough and you’ll be in rough shape by your mid 20’s. (I realize you aren’t a kid)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 06:01:35 PM by BugleBites »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2391 on: October 10, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
Damn that is a heavy hit and not something I want to do again - yes done that a few times in 30+ years of skating, but seen way more older / bigger bodies have more awkward slams than smaller / younger bodies.

I know whenever I feel like I am unbalanced, I am not getting down low enough, so even though it might feel more funny getting lower, everything works so much better for it.

To be comfortable on whatever you are skating make a whole lot of difference too.

With all the issues and goings on, my shed ramp has been one of the best things I have had to skate throughout the lockdowns and stay at home orders, but I have definitely found my other skills dropping from not getting out to roll on other ramps, parks or street areas.

For me micro ramp tech has become the most fun thing I have, so I guess I have maximised that level while letting everything else drop off somewhat.

I will still go out and skate with others I know, but I just do my own thing when they are flipping in / out of stuff or getting  burly on things I can't skate anymore.  It doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing them skate it, but I am not about to skate rails or big ledges any time any more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

drcroc

« Reply #2392 on: October 10, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »
This video inspired me that I can still go out and skate some flat... Whether it's one or two no-comply tricks, it still counts.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2393 on: October 10, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
@dofrenzy

[close]

I don't know what your comfort level is with being indoors, but right up the road from you is skater's edge in Taunton. Go 24 to padleford st exit, go right, then forward for 2 or 3 miles to Berkley common, hang right onto N Main St, 2 or so miles up road go right at stop sign onto Berkley St, stay on this road until you get to stop sign, hang left onto Plain St/Weir Bridge, left at stop sign and skatepark will be in big red space metal building on R side of road (had to give directions as a mental exercise) Mini ramp is pretty mellow, shallow, and wide, with a spine to a bigger ramp on one side. The snowman bowl has a 4 ft shallow end, pool coping, and maybe an 8 ft deep end. Super fun to skate and easy enough to learn to drop in on compared to the mini. Haven't been in years but solstice dudes used to go on Thursday nights for the 9-12am session if I'm not mistaken. Lots of old dudes re-learning how to skate on weekends as well.

When I was like 24 or something, I got wicked thrashed doing FS grinds in the deep end of that bowl. Board shot over the deck, ankles hung up on coping and I fell straight back to flat. I was rattled- thankfully helmets were still mandatory at that time- could hardly pull myself out of the pool. There were these older dudes, some born again Christian skate club or something, trying to help me out, breaking out the huge bottles of ibuprofen. I was too young to see the point in taking ibuprofen but they looked really confused when I pulled a PBR out of my backpack and curled up in the corner of the deck moaning in agony.

I don't know why I just typed that memory... trying to get you to go skate that bowl and telling you about one of my top 3 slams, in that spot ha ha ha ha

glad you didn't get too thrashed. ICE ICE BABY
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2394 on: October 10, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
An example of how and why pads can be a great asset on mini ramps.

https://vatorat.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-i-wear-pads-on-small-ramps.html?m=1

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2395 on: October 10, 2021, 06:43:15 PM »
Damn that is a heavy hit and not something I want to do again - yes done that a few times in 30+ years of skating, but seen way more older / bigger bodies have more awkward slams than smaller / younger bodies.

I know whenever I feel like I am unbalanced, I am not getting down low enough, so even though it might feel more funny getting lower, everything works so much better for it.

To be comfortable on whatever you are skating make a whole lot of difference too.

With all the issues and goings on, my shed ramp has been one of the best things I have had to skate throughout the lockdowns and stay at home orders, but I have definitely found my other skills dropping from not getting out to roll on other ramps, parks or street areas.

For me micro ramp tech has become the most fun thing I have, so I guess I have maximised that level while letting everything else drop off somewhat.

I will still go out and skate with others I know, but I just do my own thing when they are flipping in / out of stuff or getting  burly on things I can't skate anymore.  It doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing them skate it, but I am not about to skate rails or big ledges any time any more.

I love micro ramps.  ~20 years ago, when we still had in indoor park, there was a little 2.5' ramp out back that everyone hated but I could spend hours out there all alone skating it.  I always got clowned on but I loved it.  I've wanted to build my own ever since but never had a place with a yard until recently. 

BugleBites

« Reply #2396 on: October 10, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
An example of how and why pads can be a great asset on mini ramps.

https://vatorat.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-i-wear-pads-on-small-ramps.html?m=1

Ok I'm sorry but all I see is a scaredy cat. That was such a non-fall type scenario but he wrote a whole essay to make it sound like bailing out of an incredibly basic trick was somehow sketchy as fuck. Maybe it's a good thing he's wearing pads if he can't figure out how to not take horrible bails on easy shit. Crazy that he'll hit a handrail at 45 years old but if he slightly messes up a basic ramp trick he jumps to a knee slide like he just tried the mega ramp. 

@Mbrimson88 - I love a good ol' micro mini! Mine was a bit higher than that, but barely - much steeper though, and brick coping on one side. Here's a sequence that ran in a mag up here over a decade ago when I still had that ramp (just a low res screenshot). We stained the top layer to class up the joint.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:43:55 PM by BugleBites »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2397 on: October 11, 2021, 12:37:27 AM »
damn we have controversy in the old dudes thread! things are heating up here!   
personnally as someone who had 4 meniscus surgeries, starting at 18: kneeslides are a no-no. Compressing my knees like that is just bad. I don't know what I would do if I was a vert skater.

anyways I gotta share with you guys, I had kind of an ultimate old man experience friday: I go skating to the local park and meet this guy I had not seen in years, who I used to consider a young ripper: about 15 years younger than me and super gifted. Except now time has passed, he's like 30 and balding, a little overweight and he's lost 90% of his bag of tricks (but even that 10% is still better than me, ha). I was like shit, even the guys who I used to consider young are old now!! The cool thing is that he hipped me to this DIY spot I did not know and I had a blast doing slash grinds there sunday morning. Except I messed up my back somehow and now I struggle to put on socks.... Classic. Good week to all you old dudes!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2398 on: October 11, 2021, 03:55:45 AM »
damn we have controversy…

Of all the threads on SLAP, I’d hope this one free of pejorative attitudes. Sorry to hear about your knee injuries. The DIY sounds cool. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 04:08:00 AM by Sedition »

dofrenzy

« Reply #2399 on: October 11, 2021, 06:24:09 AM »
@IusedToSkateMore Nice directions, I followed right along.  Berkeley St. jumped out at me, I cross that street for drop-off/pick-up of my daughter at Bristol Aggie High School, about 3 miles down river from Skaters Edge.  I just told my other daughter (age 13, she shreds on inline skates) that the next time I keep her out of school to skate we’ll hit up the indoor park.  They open at 3:00, but what I might do is plan a trip to Solstice, hit up the DIY in New Bedford, and finish the day with a session at skaters edge.

The 13 year-old and I started a tradition last year of keeping her out of school once every month or two to skate, and we usually go to the East Providence park. Will be nice make a big day of new places out of it.  Thanks for the info!

@BugleBites  Man, I totally get avoiding slam clips.  I also avoid them.  I did watch my own clip dozens of times on the day of the slam, but next morning I just couldn’t watch it again.  I am planning on getting a mellow session in ASAP just to get past the slam.  Maybe today, I’ll see how I’m feeling.  For the record, I slammed my knees so bad +13 months ago there’s no way I’m knee sliding.  My left knee is literally STILL swollen and doesn’t bend all the way but I can still skate it.

@Mbrimson88 Damn, you are throwing down hard on that ramp!  And the park tricks are sweet, I am still working on shuv-its and you make them look so smooth.  Good stuff.

I am going to try to take a break from the Internet today, do some adulting and maybe get a skate in.  I hope everyone has a chill day.  Shalom.