Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304416 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2400 on: October 11, 2021, 07:10:25 AM »
MBrimson88: I’m super jealous of the micro mini. I’d love to have a ramp like that that I could just manhandle. Most everything around me is big or tight or somehow hard to skate.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2401 on: October 11, 2021, 07:46:20 AM »
MBrimson88: I’m super jealous of the micro mini. I’d love to have a ramp like that that I could just manhandle. Most everything around me is big or tight or somehow hard to skate.
this!
As to whether or not we wear pads/ helmets etc. who gives a fuck at this age? If you’re out there getting your stoke on then I’m not gunna judge!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2402 on: October 11, 2021, 11:41:22 AM »
damn that post really hit home about the transition to bowls and then just drinking beers. Turning 30 this month and seeing half my friends pack on 50 pounds and give up

so many of my friends are 30 going on 50 right now.

I haven't been skating as much recently, all the reasons I have are just excuses.

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2403 on: October 11, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
damn that post really hit home about the transition to bowls and then just drinking beers. Turning 30 this month and seeing half my friends pack on 50 pounds and give up

I haven't been skating as much recently, all the reasons I have are just excuses.

Alcohol sucks, glad it always triggered my migraines so I couldn’t get too into drinking. Another issue I have with the homies who just sit and drink beer when they go skating is that the beer/doing nothing means they’re constantly trying to talk your ear off and you feel bad just skating away from them mid sentence. Seriously, just quit if that’s skateboarding to you. At that point you’re just carrying around a board as an accessory.

And yeah, if you feel better wearing pads, wear pads. Don’t let one passing comment on a message board get under your skin. But maybe consider not knee sliding out of stuff unless you’re skating bigger transitions. It’s honestly not good for old knees.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #2404 on: October 11, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
How many of you guys wore street knee pads back in 89’? I had a pink dinosaur print pair of Dr. Bone Savers that  I used to knee slide like crazy out of missed gap attempts and botched caveman rail slides or just down the hall in 7th grade.

I have actually never worn pads on mini ramps and I wouldn’t know how to knee slide on a ramp. It seems like older adults getting back into skateboarding are more concerned with impact to the knee from a fall. I know 2 people who shattered their kneecaps just by hitting an object unexpectedly. Freak accidents happen all the time. Knee pads will probably prevent a broken knee from direct impact.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:01:08 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2405 on: October 11, 2021, 03:14:25 PM »
Alcohol sucks, glad it always triggered my migraines so I couldn’t get too into drinking. Another issue I have with the homies who just sit and drink beer when they go skating is that the beer/doing nothing means they’re constantly trying to talk your ear off and you feel bad just skating away from them mid sentence. Seriously, just quit if that’s skateboarding to you. At that point you’re just carrying around a board as an accessory.

Real talk. And sorry to hear about migraines. My mom gets them. Horrible stuff. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2406 on: October 11, 2021, 03:23:34 PM »
I know 2 people who shattered their kneecaps just by hitting an object unexpectedly. Freak accidents happen all the time. Knee pads will probably prevent a broken knee from direct impact.

A few months back a dude I know who has been skating for 30 years…great skater, slipped reentering a lipslide on a 4’ quarter. Shattered his knee cap on the pavement.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:30:15 PM by Sedition »

BugleBites

« Reply #2407 on: October 11, 2021, 03:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
I know 2 people who shattered their kneecaps just by hitting an object unexpectedly. Freak accidents happen all the time. Knee pads will probably prevent a broken knee from direct impact.
[close]

A few months back a dude I know who has been skating for 30 years…great skater, slipped reentering a lipslide on a 4’ quarter. Shattered his knee cap on the pavement.

An OG Canadian ripper, Chris Steggles, once caught his wheel ollieing up onto a skinny ledge where he was then going to pop onto another, flew forward, and split his knee cap in two on the corner of the next ledge. I cringe whenever I think about it. Horrible injury. But, freak accidents are freak accidents. We should probably all be wearing full pads and helmets and ankle braces etc when we skate, but you know how it is. You take the amount of risk you feel comfortable with. Chris was soooo good, but substance abuse was always an issue with him and he’s homeless and fully consumed by addiction these days.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2408 on: October 11, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We call it talkboarding. Session lasts about one hour. By then the third beer is cracked and basically the session becomes stagnant. I can't stand that either. I like to get out of breath and sweat...

BugleBites

« Reply #2409 on: October 11, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

We call it talkboarding. Session lasts about one hour. By then the third beer is cracked and basically the session becomes stagnant. I can't stand that either. I like to get out of breath and sweat...

It’s always hilarious when those same guys are super neurotic about their set ups. Oh, is a 14.67895 wheelbase better for sitting on? Lol

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2410 on: October 11, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »
…but substance abuse was always an issue with him and he’s homeless and fully consumed by addiction these days.

Old friend who was in a few of the Eastern Exposure videos back in the day had a similar situation with substance use. Had been homeless for awhile, living in shelters. He died from an OD like two years ago.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2411 on: October 11, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »

@Mbrimson88 - I love a good ol' micro mini! Mine was a bit higher than that, but barely - much steeper though, and brick coping on one side. Here's a sequence that ran in a mag up here over a decade ago when I still had that ramp (just a low res screenshot). We stained the top layer to class up the joint.  ;D

That trick combo is amazing!

@Mbrimson88 Damn, you are throwing down hard on that ramp!  And the park tricks are sweet, I am still working on shuv-its and you make them look so smooth.  Good stuff.

That park with the old bowl and the new street stuff was fun, but using the joining area between the two was more interesting to me, to try to get back some things I hadn't done on normal steeper banks in a long time.  Some things just work though.

The ramp definitely has been a work in progress for the better part of a decade (not to mention the thought of doing something like it ever since building my own ramps from the 80s), the first version being in a spine down the side of the old place, and almost too tight, even for the challenge I wanted it to be.

I mellowed it out a touch from the spine to what it is now when we moved, but people who skate it still think it is a lot tighter than anything else they usually skate, as I wanted definite board contact on rock tricks, eg rock to smith variations, that most people only do on much bigger ramps.

This was the incentive / trade off for moving out to the middle of nowhere, but it definitely has been a happy place for me for as long as I have had it operational.  It just works so well for a chilled ten minutes here or a solid hour session there, so between the ramp, some flat concrete, a decent concrete driveway with slight incline and a long mellow road out the front, it almost covers all aspects of fairly simple skateboarding, without even having to leave home, which has been nice.

I have still eaten it often enough, but that is all part of the game, isn't it?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BugleBites

« Reply #2412 on: October 11, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
Oh man, one of the tricks I never did on ramp for years was a standard blunt fakie, but I forced myself to learn them on that micro mini I shared … still terrifying to commit haha. Got zooted out once and almost smoked my head, tweaked my elbow good. That trick is such a full commit or die situation, glad I finally conquered them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2413 on: October 11, 2021, 04:56:00 PM »
Oh man, one of the tricks I never did on ramp for years was a standard blunt fakie, but I forced myself to learn them on that micro mini I shared … still terrifying to commit haha. Got zooted out once and almost smoked my head, tweaked my elbow good. That trick is such a full commit or die situation, glad I finally conquered them.

Ha yeah!

I got so good at jumping off tricks including straight ollie blunts that I will do almost anything but a normal ollie blunt nowdays, eg blunt smash to rock and in, or more commonly blunt shuffle to fakie.  Might sound weird, but think of it almost like doing a blunt to fifty on the face to revert.

When I worked at the most recent indoor park (over 2 years ago now), this mellow micro ramp was lots of fun.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: October 11, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
^ Blunt shuffle. Rad. Never thought of that before. Stealing it. Might be real fun f/s, too.

BugleBites

« Reply #2415 on: October 11, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »
^ Blunt shuffle. Rad. Never thought of that before. Stealing it. Might be real fun f/s, too.

Frontside is super fun and actually looks pretty dope.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2416 on: October 11, 2021, 05:43:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Frontside is super fun and actually looks pretty dope.

Nose stall f/s shuffles are real fun, too.

Fhk

« Reply #2417 on: October 11, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
This talk of blunt variations and broken knee caps hit home for me. When I broke mine, I had just purchased my first home..hadn't even made my first mortgage payment. I haven't done a blunt on anything since. ;D

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2418 on: October 11, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
A few random pics of me rollerboarding. Sig file, too. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2419 on: October 20, 2021, 07:32:46 PM »

Tried any yet?

Keen to see or hear anyone else doing shuffle type tricks, as most people I skate with are not into them at all.

Not a worry either way though.

:)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2420 on: October 20, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried any yet?

Keen to see or hear anyone else doing shuffle type tricks, as most people I skate with are not into them at all.

Not a worry either way though.

:)

TOTALLY forgot! Maybe tomorrow if I hit some transition.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2421 on: October 20, 2021, 10:25:49 PM »
Met up with some skate homeys from home last weekend and I guess I'm the only one holding it down rn. Tbh, most of them could probably step on a board and put me to shame...but it def reminded me I'm an old dude.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #2422 on: October 21, 2021, 05:30:56 AM »
Expand Quote
skateboarding is all about subjectivity. everyone’s taste and experience may differ. for instance, i think it’s way funnier to picture a 46 year old showing up in full love park uniform trying to “keep his pop up” than someone skating a mini in full pads.
[close]

Good visual. I laughed when I read that. Too true.

This was literally me today, haha. White t and camo cargoes. Trying to relearn ollies. Ouch

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTA2ODAyMTEwMDk5ODAx?story_media_id=2689263928543251001&utm_medium=copy_link

To add onto other points, I only use knee pads personally on the rare times I touch vert. I find it’s too hard to hit the tranny properly on small minis in my knees. The minis I fuck with are smooth wood, so if I bail, I just aim my body for the top of the tranny and slide out.

But for bigger tranny, all the protection I can get. I might step to the 12-foot again after my birthday and try to get an axle rub.

I’ve never been very good. As long as I landed it, I didn’t care what it looked like. That was fun, and I don’t necessarily regret it, but now I’m having to relearn the basics properly, starting with ollies that I completely gave up when I had 2 years of back spasms.  You can see the struggle in the vid.

I’ve always preferred mini ramp and bowls, so that has degenerated less.

One thing I swear to god that made me feel 20 again was learning technical downhill. There are a bunch of guys that live at a ski town near my hometown that have a gnarly crew of downhillers, including one of the main engineer/designers for Landyachtz.

I poo-pahed longboarding too, but I met them while writing an article about the scale scenes in my area. They took me out, hooked me up with gear, and showed me the pure joy of doing a 5-m layback around a corner.

It really strongly reminded me of skating in the 80’s, when skaters were outcasts, shunned, and skated shit they weren’t supposed to (barging mountain roads, golf courses, forest bike paths, etc). And fucking gnarly.

Learning how to navigate each turn in a 300m stretch of a bike path and put it all together in a line was seriously fun. I don’t have that chance where I live in Japan, but I’d like to get back into it.

But yeah. It’s all fun.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 06:37:07 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2423 on: October 21, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not mine (not breaking out sad dad cam tonight) but @ 0:24 is fun as hell and first time I’d ever seen anyone do 50 shuffles.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2424 on: October 21, 2021, 10:17:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Not mine (not breaking out sad dad cam tonight) but @ 0:24 is fun as hell and first time I’d ever seen anyone do 50 shuffles.
[close]

Yeah, that is a good one, the fast fifty grinds and back smith both to shuffle I used to see from people like Chet Childress in Black Label Live era and thought they were amazing, so always had those two in the mini ramp sessions.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2425 on: October 24, 2021, 06:14:45 AM »
Haven't felt the urge to bust out the selfie  stand since I tunred 46 but decided to document a quick session today.

Little late to the party but that was awesome. LONG LIVE THE SELFIE STAND!! Who really has 40+ YO friends that are gonna film ya!!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2426 on: October 24, 2021, 07:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
skateboarding is all about subjectivity. everyone’s taste and experience may differ. for instance, i think it’s way funnier to picture a 46 year old showing up in full love park uniform trying to “keep his pop up” than someone skating a mini in full pads.
[close]

Good visual. I laughed when I read that. Too true.
[close]

This was literally me today, haha. White t and camo cargoes. Trying to relearn ollies. Ouch

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTA2ODAyMTEwMDk5ODAx?story_media_id=2689263928543251001&utm_medium=copy_link

To add onto other points, I only use knee pads personally on the rare times I touch vert. I find it’s too hard to hit the tranny properly on small minis in my knees. The minis I fuck with are smooth wood, so if I bail, I just aim my body for the top of the tranny and slide out.

But for bigger tranny, all the protection I can get. I might step to the 12-foot again after my birthday and try to get an axle rub.

I’ve never been very good. As long as I landed it, I didn’t care what it looked like. That was fun, and I don’t necessarily regret it, but now I’m having to relearn the basics properly, starting with ollies that I completely gave up when I had 2 years of back spasms.  You can see the struggle in the vid.

I’ve always preferred mini ramp and bowls, so that has degenerated less.

One thing I swear to god that made me feel 20 again was learning technical downhill. There are a bunch of guys that live at a ski town near my hometown that have a gnarly crew of downhillers, including one of the main engineer/designers for Landyachtz.

I poo-pahed longboarding too, but I met them while writing an article about the scale scenes in my area. They took me out, hooked me up with gear, and showed me the pure joy of doing a 5-m layback around a corner.

It really strongly reminded me of skating in the 80’s, when skaters were outcasts, shunned, and skated shit they weren’t supposed to (barging mountain roads, golf courses, forest bike paths, etc). And fucking gnarly.

Learning how to navigate each turn in a 300m stretch of a bike path and put it all together in a line was seriously fun. I don’t have that chance where I live in Japan, but I’d like to get back into it.

But yeah. It’s all fun.

i hope i never get to the point where i'm not working on getting up my ollies. ollies are fun.

i used to wear pads for street in the 80s but not really since. i prefer to keep it low impact and not have to put on all the gear. it's kind of odd though because i've really gotten into mountain biking and i wear knee pads and helmets doing that without thinking twice.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2427 on: October 24, 2021, 07:32:34 AM »
I gotta say, it makes me a little bummed to see people say "who have friends to film after 40?" and such. Maybe things are just different here, or maybe it's just me, but I'm 41 and I'm always meeting people through skating and hooking up to skate, film clips, get beers, etc. People in their 20s through dudes approaching 50, they'll all chill and they all want some homies to skate with.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2428 on: October 24, 2021, 07:35:43 AM »
I gotta say, it makes me a little bummed to see people say "who have friends to film after 40?" and such. Maybe things are just different here, or maybe it's just me, but I'm 41 and I'm always meeting people through skating and hooking up to skate, film clips, get beers, etc. People in their 20s through dudes approaching 50, they'll all chill and they all want some homies to skate with.

This.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #2429 on: October 24, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
Yah I’m 45 and thats one thing thats rad about skating and being at a park is we are all skaters, no matter age, race, sex, or whatever. If you are on a skateboard, you’re cool to me until you show me different.