Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301704 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2550 on: June 22, 2022, 01:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
43 was a typo right? You’re really 33 aren’t you? AREN’T YOU?
[close]

Well. 43 and a half then 😅
[close]
okay we’re the same age then … and I’m at a 1/10 of your skill level, maybe less
[close]

Thats whats so great about skating - fun isnt measured in skill  :)

that's probably why I'm still rolling around ha! and it applies to music too, other fave pastime.
and congrats that was ripping, as others have said....

drcroc

« Reply #2551 on: June 22, 2022, 09:22:59 PM »
Slap has gone soft. I got some "warning" for posting the most non-offensive reply to a thread.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2552 on: June 22, 2022, 11:38:26 PM »
Go yell at a cloud, old timer

guyledouche

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2553 on: June 23, 2022, 05:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
okay we’re the same age then … and I’m at a 1/10 of your skill level, maybe less
[close]

It’s great to have a positive attitude but I don’t agree with this. Struggling through sessions like each time is your first and not being able to retain tricks is not fun. Repeatedly doing the same easy tricks or just rolling around gets boring really fast. Struggling to do a proper kick flip after 20 years, or being unable to do certain tricks at all after like two or three years of trying them is infuriating and defeating. 

I think in order for skateboarding to be fun, you have to have skill… not just the skill that’s acquired through practice but those natural abilities that a lot of skaters just have, like grace, good balance, body awareness, etc.

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2554 on: June 23, 2022, 10:16:40 AM »

^ Disagree with that so much it hurts. Some of my favorite sessions are flowing around a park doing tricks I've known how to do since I was 12.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2555 on: June 23, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

It’s great to have a positive attitude but I don’t agree with this. Struggling through sessions like each time is your first and not being able to retain tricks is not fun. Repeatedly doing the same easy tricks or just rolling around gets boring really fast. Struggling to do a proper kick flip after 20 years, or being unable to do certain tricks at all after like two or three years of trying them is infuriating and defeating. 

I think in order for skateboarding to be fun, you have to have skill… not just the skill that’s acquired through practice but those natural abilities that a lot of skaters just have, like grace, good balance, body awareness, etc.

Cant say I agree. My prime was like 25 years ago, and there is so much I cant do these days - but I dont think I have had this much fun in years. And trust me, I struggle a lot too cause Im hellbent on believing I can skate like I use to.. Which isnt the case  ;D

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2556 on: June 23, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

You had me in the first half, but lost me in the second.  I suck shit and still have a ton of fun being old, slow, and stupid.  It's way more rewarding now when I don't fuck something up.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2557 on: June 24, 2022, 06:15:45 AM »
I’ve recently started to try to skate a little faster. It’s kind of more fun. The problem is, I don’t land much when going fast…which is not fun.
I do try to treat each session like it’s my last though. Gotta flip the board at least once before calling it a day.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2558 on: June 25, 2022, 06:21:04 AM »

Some days I just feel like rolling around, other days I am more keen to push to try more or do something I used to do.  It really is just a day by day thing, but nothing is as much of a challenge as my mental catalog of all the tricks and things I used to be able to do twenty to thirty years ago.  I accept that I am "well over the hill" but every day I can be on a skateboard is one more day of good times, so I take what I can get and try not to be anything other than appreciative of whatever I still have left.

Getting angry, bitter or upset doesn't help anything, so I realised a while back, but that still doesn't stop it boiling over sometimes, more often when I want to do things and for whatever reason I just cannot get myself together enough to do it.

Those days, the quicker I work that out, the better, so if I am out somewhere at a spot or park skating, just go easy more so than try to push myself, or leave and go somewhere else that is more just a roll around or mellow spot.

I have become very good at finding the most simple or small thing in any given place and having more fun on that than trying something harder and not getting it, so at the end of the day, I am not worried at all about what I have achieved more recently.

Having a cruiser board handy helps too, so given I always drive anywhere, there is always a mix of boards in the car.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2559 on: June 25, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »

Some days I just feel like rolling around, other days I am more keen to push to try more or do something I used to do.  It really is just a day by day thing, but nothing is as much of a challenge as my mental catalog of all the tricks and things I used to be able to do twenty to thirty years ago.  I accept that I am "well over the hill" but every day I can be on a skateboard is one more day of good times, so I take what I can get and try not to be anything other than appreciative of whatever I still have left.
This hits home. Although I lost a ton of tricks I’ve also learned a lot of new things. So it evens out in a way. Any day rolling is a good one. That’s all that matters.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2560 on: June 25, 2022, 05:02:58 PM »
I’m ok just standing around talking to people too….makes up for the days when I’m skating alone. 

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #2561 on: June 25, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »
even if all you do is roll around, there are people who wish they could do that and can’t

any day on a skateboard is a blessing to me

I get more grateful every time

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #2562 on: June 25, 2022, 07:56:11 PM »
I started skating when I was four. I will be forty this year. I skated every day through my teens and all through my early twenties, then I hit a major roadblock when I was 26. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I and Schizophrenia- full blown mental illness, with hallucinations, delusions and hearing voices. I took a hiatus from skating for about two years so I could build up a tolerance to my psych meds to the point where I could even skate at the level where I was before my first hospitalization. Skating every day for that long I was starting to get some real skill but I was slowing down in terms of trying stuff that's dangerous and committing past the point of make-or-slam. I was starting to skate more ledges and doing more tech stuff and shying away from the fast and gnarly skating I had grown up doing. Basically after two stints in jail and three long stays in mental hospitals, I had experienced so much fucked up shit in those places, and had just struggled so much with the non-stop nightmare that was going on in my head that it put my whole life into perspective and I realized that I no longer feared death or physical pain. I don't skate that much these days but when I do I have no hesitation to try what I want to do any more. I'm more afraid of my own brain and what could happen to me if I don't take my meds every day, than I am afraid of falling hard or getting hurt on a skateboard. I still feel the fear, there's just part of me that has learned to swallow that feeling and shit it out before it stops me from trying a lip trick on the vert wall. My advice, do things that scare you and you will learn to overcome it. Skating is more fun than ever now

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2563 on: June 26, 2022, 12:17:06 AM »
I stop when its not fun or I'm gonna get broke off from being tired. I don't skate because I'm bored or to conquer or because I have to, I skate now to get some place of fun/equanimity/contentment. If that ain't happening, I'm not skating.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2564 on: June 26, 2022, 01:06:08 AM »
After 35 years of playing with this toy, I can feel when it's a good day, how many more real tries I have left, and if I'm having fun. I don't force any of those anymore because it took me a long time to learn that was a key contributor to me ending up hurt. Also, now that some pain is chronic, I just ignore it and pretend until the adrenaline makes it go away. You really should scare the shit out of yourself just to engage that.

When I'm done for the day, I just watch my son from a distance working on what he's trying to make his board do.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2565 on: June 26, 2022, 06:28:13 AM »
At the start of every session I am afraid all my tricks will be gone. Then I go through my warm up routine and eventually I land all my tricks, but I have to constantly remind myself that I feel like this every day and today is not going to be different. Anyone know that feeling?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2566 on: June 26, 2022, 07:18:33 AM »
It hasn’t been totally clear as to exactly what I “have” for a number of years….

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2567 on: June 26, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »
At the start of every session I am afraid all my tricks will be gone. Then I go through my warm up routine and eventually I land all my tricks, but I have to constantly remind myself that I feel like this every day and today is not going to be different. Anyone know that feeling?

Congrats on having tricks

Landmine

« Reply #2568 on: June 26, 2022, 10:25:32 AM »
After 35 years of playing with this toy, I can feel when it's a good day, how many more real tries I have left, and if I'm having fun. I don't force any of those anymore because it took me a long time to learn that was a key contributor to me ending up hurt. Also, now that some pain is chronic, I just ignore it and pretend until the adrenaline makes it go away. You really should scare the shit out of yourself just to engage that.

When I'm done for the day, I just watch my son from a distance working on what he's trying to make his board do.

That was me this morning.  Early morning session, rolled around for a bit, hit a couple banks, and then my knees told me I was done.  Packed it up and enjoyed some coffee.  If I'd kept skating for another hour or two I would have just worn myself out to the point of risking injury, and I still had fun so I'm content.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2569 on: June 26, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
https://vimeo.com/724302055
Here’s some older clips & the last clip @ the bowl is from 2 months ago & my ankle is still recovering. It’s amazing we can all get out & skate after all these years & still have the best of times. Haven’t been out ina few weeks but planning on an after work sesh tuedsy. Set up new wheels on an old board and i don’t care about the rules. Im super stoked to take out. Sized up from 53mm to 56mm. It’s a wider tired™️ shape & 53mm which I like for my 8.1 popsicle is perfect but for this felt it just wasn’t cutting it. Hope these clip make you laugh.

Landmine

« Reply #2570 on: June 26, 2022, 06:38:49 PM »
https://vimeo.com/724302055
Here’s some older clips & the last clip @ the bowl is from 2 months ago & my ankle is still recovering. It’s amazing we can all get out & skate after all these years & still have the best of times. Haven’t been out ina few weeks but planning on an after work sesh tuedsy. Set up new wheels on an old board and i don’t care about the rules. Im super stoked to take out. Sized up from 53mm to 56mm. It’s a wider tired™️ shape & 53mm which I like for my 8.1 popsicle is perfect but for this felt it just wasn’t cutting it. Hope these clip make you laugh.

LMAO great video.  It's like looking in a mirror.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2571 on: June 26, 2022, 06:59:53 PM »
🤣 thanks!

nevrwasben

« Reply #2572 on: June 26, 2022, 07:32:44 PM »
I started skating when I was four. I will be forty this year. I skated every day through my teens and all through my early twenties, then I hit a major roadblock when I was 26. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I and Schizophrenia- full blown mental illness, with hallucinations, delusions and hearing voices. I took a hiatus from skating for about two years so I could build up a tolerance to my psych meds to the point where I could even skate at the level where I was before my first hospitalization. Skating every day for that long I was starting to get some real skill but I was slowing down in terms of trying stuff that's dangerous and committing past the point of make-or-slam. I was starting to skate more ledges and doing more tech stuff and shying away from the fast and gnarly skating I had grown up doing. Basically after two stints in jail and three long stays in mental hospitals, I had experienced so much fucked up shit in those places, and had just struggled so much with the non-stop nightmare that was going on in my head that it put my whole life into perspective and I realized that I no longer feared death or physical pain. I don't skate that much these days but when I do I have no hesitation to try what I want to do any more. I'm more afraid of my own brain and what could happen to me if I don't take my meds every day, than I am afraid of falling hard or getting hurt on a skateboard. I still feel the fear, there's just part of me that has learned to swallow that feeling and shit it out before it stops me from trying a lip trick on the vert wall. My advice, do things that scare you and you will learn to overcome it. Skating is more fun than ever now
That’s beautiful, truly.
Nice to hear that you are able to learn from all your experiences rather than just make excuses based on your diagnoses.
Wish I had your guts, but sadly, I do fear physical pain and injury more and more each day.
It does get me stoked to push myself on those days where I am able to swallow the fear.
Keep ripping!! And did you say vert wall??!
Not for me, these days…

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #2573 on: June 26, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »
Thanks bruh. In 2013 I went without food or sleep for 6 straight days and 5 nights, by choice. I thought if I have the willpower to do something like that, then I can deal with the chance of breaking an arm or leg. Nothing is as scary as what happens after days of total deprivation. The thought of breaking my neck and being paralyzed does legitimately still scare me though, and I have thought about investing in a helmet for skating pools

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2574 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:52 PM »
Skated two non-stop hours in the heat wave we have now, totally drained. Little line from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfZpC2kDsZX/

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2575 on: June 29, 2022, 12:44:38 PM »
So sick!

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #2576 on: June 29, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »
hell yeah MrJenkins

wish I had that ramp in my back garden

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2577 on: June 29, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »
@Mr.Jenkins The Miniramp champ!

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2578 on: July 13, 2022, 06:01:41 PM »

YES. Sometimes I feel like I have to completely relearn how to skate every session.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #2579 on: July 13, 2022, 06:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

YES. Sometimes I feel like I have to completely relearn how to skate every session.

+1 from me. It takes me 30-45 minutes to really warm up and during that time I'm super self conscious. Gotta remind myself nobody really gives a shit about whatever you're doing unless you're getting in someone's way.