Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301559 times)

gringo_viejo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2580 on: July 13, 2022, 06:17:13 PM »
Hey everybody. 46 y.o. but been skating for just three of them.
Setup: 9x33 shovel nose, 169s, used bones stf 56mm, yellow jackets.
Terrain: mellow bank, quarter pipe, empty parking lot. Learning pools/bowls
Hate: fogged glasses, sore knee, confusing trick names
Love: nollie 180s, body varial rock fakies (or is it now rock and roll since I come back in regular...? See above.)
Question: if I can't jump over a piece of paper, can I still learn to kickflip?

Fhk

« Reply #2581 on: July 13, 2022, 06:36:45 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/9aGLWn9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/HJrsXZj.mp4

I still like struggling to make my board flip at 45. 🙂

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #2582 on: July 13, 2022, 06:40:51 PM »

Didn't look like a struggle to me lol

Fhk

« Reply #2583 on: July 13, 2022, 06:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha thanks man..I promise you just about everything is a struggle these days!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2584 on: July 13, 2022, 06:57:45 PM »

Pffffhhht. Struggle? I’m struggling to get 360 flips back so I wish I was struggling like you are. Good stuff.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #2585 on: July 14, 2022, 03:01:57 AM »

Your kickflip is cute as hell

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2586 on: July 15, 2022, 12:41:32 AM »
Hey everybody. 38 y.o. but been skating for just thirty of them.
Setup: 8.25x32.75 tom penny friends regular nose/tail, indy titanium/hollow 144s, used spitfire 54mm, horizontal stripe on grip above back trucks.
Terrain: mellow bank, red curbs, buttery ledges, parking blocks. Learning manual pads
Hate: sweaty hats, sunscreen, sore knee, confusing trick names
Love: backside flips, frontside noseslides, lawnchair grinds, crooked grinds (or is it now K-grinds since we never really figured that out...? See above.)
Question: if I can frontside 180 and I can hardflip, why can't I learn to frontside flip?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2587 on: July 15, 2022, 04:35:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Haha thanks man..I promise you just about everything is a struggle these days!
Take it to the streets. Looks good! Don’t be so harsh I’d be stoked to flip the board instead of the board flipping me.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2588 on: July 26, 2022, 04:38:12 AM »
Do you guys stretch or do physical therapy? What helps?
Lately I feel like tightness in the hips/groin is holding back my progress... can't get that "karate kick."

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #2589 on: July 26, 2022, 05:47:34 AM »
Lately I feel like tightness in the hips/groin is holding back my progress... can't get that "karate kick."

I did physical therapy after a gruesome knee dislocation, but for the most part I just ride an exercise bike for a while every other day or so, and I also have a little under-desk cycle that I pedal with for an hour or so everyday at work.
Seems like it helps, doesn't build a ton of muscle but keeps me limber.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2590 on: July 26, 2022, 06:20:28 AM »
I've been doing yoga sun salutations every morning for the last 20 years I think....just 5 minutes. but now it feels weird to start my day without that. I think Nate Jones introduced me to that in the first issue of the Skateboard mag, if I remember right   ;D

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2591 on: July 26, 2022, 06:27:51 AM »
I think it was Matt Field @OldieButFrenchie but that's where I learned them also  haha

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2592 on: July 26, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »
Same here. Try to stretch daily and work out a bit but I get
Lazy at times. Too Much going on. Lol

But it’s important and man does it help. 10 mins a day can make such a difference. I didn’t “work out” all last winter and really felt it this spring. Paying the price now.

Live and learn right?

Anyhow. Here’s last years edit. Looking back it was a good year. I learned hard flips at age of 44. Def not consistent but when they go they go. Got my nollie tails back and relearned fs tail slides. Stocked on my bs 180 ng. I swear prob tried 200+ last summer. Snagged 3. Lol. Pumped on the nose slide crooks to straight.

Striving for a 45 45 edit. Kinda cheesy but gets me going. We all need a goal at times. I sure do.

https://vimeo.com/709728588

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2593 on: July 26, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »
Lovely!

That backtail at Peace Park was solid!

Nothing cheesy about a skate-your-age challenge thingy. Go for it.

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2594 on: July 26, 2022, 05:12:02 PM »
48, just getting back to skating after being sick last three years, lost the limited tricks i had, now trying to relaern them.  Skating a powell peralta ripper geegah, with indy 159s 53 mm wheels and 1/8” risers.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2595 on: July 27, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
I think it was Matt Field @OldieButFrenchie but that's where I learned them also  haha

oh man yup exactly ha!  ;D I probably still have that issue laying around somewhere....actually I've been trying to sell parts of my skate mag collection on ebay lately, whitout much luck.

also I'm itching to skate right now, but I injured my ribs surfing 10 days ago and that shit takes a long time to heal apparently. super stoked on finally learning to turn on the wave and not just go straight though. this might become a new spring/summer hobby....

@sbmfj solid stuff man!! I have seriously have no idea how some guys manage to skate ledges in their 40's....just ollieing onto the thing seems like an incredible effort! #mypophasdisappearedintothinair

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2596 on: July 27, 2022, 01:01:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh man yup exactly ha!  ;D I probably still have that issue laying around somewhere....actually I've been trying to sell parts of my skate mag collection on ebay lately, whitout much luck.

also I'm itching to skate right now, but I injured my ribs surfing 10 days ago and that shit takes a long time to heal apparently. super stoked on finally learning to turn on the wave and not just go straight though. this might become a new spring/summer hobby....

@sbmfj solid stuff man!! I have seriously have no idea how some guys manage to skate ledges in their 40's....just ollieing onto the thing seems like an incredible effort! #mypophasdisappearedintothinair

I wish I had been practicing yoga when I was ripping... instead I was drinking beer  ??? but you're spot on, sun salutations are a great way to wake up the body!

freshly 37, got back into skating after a close to 10 year hiatus right after I turned 35.

skating is the fountain of youth for me. it shuts the mind off, or rather activates it in a way that nothing else does. Although my stamina isn't as strong by any means, due to being older, injuries, and long covid symptoms that make my lungs feel like I'm a smoker, I feel better on my board than I have in a minute. I really wanna get my stamina up. By the time I'm warmed up and figuring out how to do what I want to do, I'm gassed. 1 hr at a time at the park smokes me. skate 20 min, stop 5, drink water, skate, stop, etc.

yesterday I was in a new town and found the park. super fun park and there were some high school rippers. kids were so good and it got me hyped to skate. watching their foot placement actually gave me reminders of what I needed to be doing and I got some flow that I haven't had in a really long time that let me set up a nice for me line in the park- roll in, ride over bump, fs carve hip over spine, revert slide on vert wall, pump over bump, 5050 corner/pocket coping, repeat. shit felt mad good

it was 106*F so I didn't have much in me after a while and bounce. I end up skating 2-3 miles down a mellow hill IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. my ass was kicked but it felt good to go on a mission like that. drank my water, hopped fences, walked the rail road tracks, and talked with people. haven't done that... in too long. I feel good today =)
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2597 on: July 27, 2022, 05:40:56 PM »
Same here. Try to stretch daily and work out a bit but I get
Lazy at times. Too Much going on. Lol

But it’s important and man does it help. 10 mins a day can make such a difference. I didn’t “work out” all last winter and really felt it this spring. Paying the price now.

Live and learn right?

Anyhow. Here’s last years edit. Looking back it was a good year. I learned hard flips at age of 44. Def not consistent but when they go they go. Got my nollie tails back and relearned fs tail slides. Stocked on my bs 180 ng. I swear prob tried 200+ last summer. Snagged 3. Lol. Pumped on the nose slide crooks to straight.

Striving for a 45 45 edit. Kinda cheesy but gets me going. We all need a goal at times. I sure do.

https://vimeo.com/709728588
Great edit and skating. Very jealous of your back tails.

Fhk

« Reply #2598 on: July 27, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »
Yoga every single morning..no exceptions
https://youtu.be/7NX-Uw7gM2o
Messing around the last two days after 11 hour work days. Basic shit..but at my age it wouldn’t be possible without yoga
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:27:53 PM by Seventyfuhkinseven »

Punch that laptop

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2599 on: July 29, 2022, 07:16:52 AM »
Is 29 old? I feel old, or at least my body does. All I know is I’m not made of rubber anymore and I’ve started using ice baths after heavier sessions.
I’m like the Riddler but I don’t makes sense so you always lose

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2600 on: July 29, 2022, 11:41:48 AM »
^It ain’t young anymore, but it ain’t old either.
Lots of ppl skate the best in their late 20’s early 30’s.
I sure as hell did!
Take care of your body a little bit, and realize you might not be able to skate all day everyday anymore and you should be set for 20 more years.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2601 on: July 31, 2022, 01:47:25 AM »
A few minutes walk or skate from where I live, there is a hidden tennis court that I’ve been skating the last 20 years or so - 15 years ago some drugged out dude on a moped showed up and started to build some wooden stuff to skate- he was called Gary due to the brand of the moped.

He is long gone and a few years ago some dudes started to pour concrete there, and it has grown to a sick DIY, called Garyland 2.0. The city just granted permit to it as well.

We had our second annual event there, and it was sick. Lot of the Sour guys showed up which is alway cool.

Made a small edit with me skating to the event, and 2 tricks on me in it. Sorry if you have to watch me push before seeing the DIY haha.

Pretty happy to have this around the corner!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgq4mYIjMiI
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 03:03:02 AM by Mr.Jenkins »

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2602 on: August 04, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Franc / Old But Frenchie and Plan9Customs.

OlbutFrenchie - I thnk I saw your surfing post onthe 'gram, hope you heal up quickly!

Mr Jenkins - Saw thay DIY edit on your Insta, looked like a fun skatejam. Handy to have a DIY soo close to your house!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2603 on: August 04, 2022, 06:22:16 PM »

I copied a stretch of that instagram skate physio dude that I use before every session and do a few times a day. 

Hold onto something and swing your leg from the hip forwards and back, like you're kicking a ball but without bending your knee, like a pendulum.  Do 20 or so each side, repeat if you can be bothered and I find it really helps me loosen up before riding.  I'm stiff as a board and need to be doing a real program, but this keeps me moving.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2604 on: August 06, 2022, 06:03:34 AM »

OlbutFrenchie - I thnk I saw your surfing post onthe 'gram, hope you heal up quickly!

Mr Jenkins - Saw thay DIY edit on your Insta, looked like a fun skatejam. Handy to have a DIY soo close to your house!

thanks. But that was my kid actually! (my oldest is 14 and looks a lot like me  ;D  ) 
anyways this is more relevant to the thread....I had a sesh last week (still semi-hurt but OK) with a friend I had not seen in a long time, 'BadProf' Jean. Dude is 57 and still grinding pool coping on the regular! probably one of the only guys of the vert generation to still be skating that much in France. for the curious, that pool is in Fuveau, in between Marseille and Aix, and hard as fuck to skate! (for me at least....)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgwZP5KMQ9J/?hl=fr
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:11:02 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2605 on: August 06, 2022, 07:06:33 AM »
Great shots, Frenchie and rad looking pool.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2606 on: August 06, 2022, 11:50:07 AM »

Yeah, so sick. Pretty cool What tjey have manage to do there, and now with a permit it just gonna be better. I working from home a lot, love pop over and skate an hour at lunch sometimes, cant complain about that  :)

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2607 on: August 06, 2022, 12:08:43 PM »
'BadProf' Jean. Dude is 57

Bad Professor!!!!!! He was in Anyway or even Bicross & Skate if my memory serves me right.
I had no idea he was still skating, never heard of him since. 57 and still shredding. What a legend.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #2608 on: August 06, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »
Im not reading 87 pages right now. Have we already established what is considered old in this thread? 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2609 on: August 07, 2022, 03:18:33 AM »
Expand Quote
'BadProf' Jean. Dude is 57
[close]

Bad Professor!!!!!! He was in Anyway or even Bicross & Skate if my memory serves me right.
I had no idea he was still skating, never heard of him since. 57 and still shredding. What a legend.

attention vieux skater français détecté hahah!!
Yeah that's him. Nickname is because he's a high school history teacher. He also used to write a column in defunct Freestyler Mag I believe.... Honestly he might be the most 'gung-ho about skating' dude I ever met! still in great shape and sessions that pool alone on the regular, cause local skaters don't like gnarly vert apparently...He lives like 5 minutes away from the spot!