Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304086 times)

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2760 on: June 27, 2023, 09:35:28 AM »
Dude, don’t tell me it gets even worse ….

Oh dear

Nah, you'll be fine!  Just don't stop during the session.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #2761 on: June 27, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Oh dear
[close]

That, I already learned. The days after the session don’t agree sometimes though
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:17:20 AM by yghartsyrt »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2762 on: June 28, 2023, 01:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Oh dear
[close]

[close]

That, I already learned. The days after the session don’t agree sometimes though

sometimes it gets better! I had pretty bad knee pain last year, but it's gone now. Might be thanks to the Kneesovertoesguys training? Or skating transition only I don't know.

Speaking of mini-ramp skating, I had one of those crazy whiplash slams yesterday, where you're like WTF happened? Did I hit my head? Luckily no serious injury, my wrist hurts a little but that's all.
It still got me spooked enough to stop skating my local ramp before the summer! I can't take chances before the holidays with wife and kids in 2 weeks, I gotta be able to drive.
How do you guys manage the risk aspect of skating with family life? It's kinda tricky  :P

South Bent

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2763 on: June 28, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
   I've discovered over time, as long as I'm slamming on a regular basis, my body takes it so much better.  When I start skating again after taking an extended time off, the first few slams hurt much more, and hurt for way longer, then when I'm skating and slamming on the regular.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2764 on: June 28, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »
   I've discovered over time, as long as I'm slamming on a regular basis, my body takes it so much better.  When I start skating again after taking an extended time off, the first few slams hurt much more, and hurt for way longer, then when I'm skating and slamming on the regular.
This for sure, along with staying active off the board to keep the old muscles and joints as conditioned as possible.
Move it or lose it, as they say.

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2765 on: June 28, 2023, 10:28:26 AM »
It still got me spooked enough to stop skating my local ramp before the summer! I can't take chances before the holidays with wife and kids in 2 weeks, I gotta be able to drive.
How do you guys manage the risk aspect of skating with family life? It's kinda tricky  :P

I've not got any kids so that takes some of the pressure off.  Having said that, I was gifted a trip to Barcelona for my 50th and there were many hints from the other half that maybe I shouldn't skate for a couple of weeks before we went so I wouldn't be injured on the trip.  I've rolled my ankle running down the stairs in the house before, so aside from living in a bubble for two weeks, there's no way I could guarantee not being injured so I skated anyway.  Luckily I didn't injure myself before, during or after Barcelona so all's well that ends well.

projectBNE

• Rep: 47
    • Project Distribution avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2766 on: July 04, 2023, 11:56:21 PM »
Speaking of mini-ramp skating, I had one of those crazy whiplash slams yesterday, where you're like WTF happened? Did I hit my head? Luckily no serious injury, my wrist hurts a little but that's all.

I was JUST talking about this with a mate.  I was on a family road trip last week, skated some amazing parks, but definitely found myself battling the 'risk vs reward' scenario a few times, especially as we were on a driving holiday.  It's a constant battle and only gets harder as we get older.

The whiplash slam is my worst fear.  Was out for months a while back after sticking on a smith grind then stepping back on my board and banana peeling.  Jammed my elbow/shoulder into my neck and was fucked for so long.

There was a perfect 4' mini ramp at one park and after about 6 or 7 runs I got to the point where it was either start trying harder/more dangerous tricks, repeat my small bag of tricks or head back to the street section, so I just tucked my tail between my legs and retreated to the street section for some more slappys and manuals. 
Project Distribution (AU)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2767 on: July 05, 2023, 01:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was JUST talking about this with a mate.  I was on a family road trip last week, skated some amazing parks, but definitely found myself battling the 'risk vs reward' scenario a few times, especially as we were on a driving holiday.  It's a constant battle and only gets harder as we get older.

The whiplash slam is my worst fear.  Was out for months a while back after sticking on a smith grind then stepping back on my board and banana peeling.  Jammed my elbow/shoulder into my neck and was fucked for so long.

There was a perfect 4' mini ramp at one park and after about 6 or 7 runs I got to the point where it was either start trying harder/more dangerous tricks, repeat my small bag of tricks or head back to the street section, so I just tucked my tail between my legs and retreated to the street section for some more slappys and manuals.

yup we're in the same boat....  The risks do seem higher on transition than low-impact street stuff, true. But on the other hand, I usually have more fun skating ramps and my knees definitely seem to prefer transition too!
as for the getting-used-to-slamming theory, I see where you guys are coming from but that's not for me anymore. Too old or too frail!  I want to skate and not fall at all if possible....at this point I'd rather give up on certain tricks than take chances.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2768 on: July 05, 2023, 07:29:52 AM »

I think a lot more people are going with the grippier (more often than not softer) wheels for a lot of transition based skating in new concrete parks, metal or wooden ramps or anywhere that has the higher slip out factor, when compared to the usual older worn in parks where a 99 or 101 is still perfect for everything.

My "new park" board has the Spitfire F4 97 duro wheels on it which still feels normal with just a little more grip, but I have seen a lot of people on Dragons and other wheels too, even some older guys riding the Krooked cruiser wheels and Spitfire 80HD wheels, although I feel like they are way too soft and grippy for a more normal feel when skating transition.

If it is just down to balance and not slipping out, then I guess that is a different story, but preventing the unwanted slip out is often higher on the priority list than anything else for a lot of the older guys who skate the places I frequent, eg the indoor park ramp / bowl surface that gets so slippery on normal wheels, or even the new parks with bowls, transition and glossy finished concrete surfaces.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #2769 on: July 05, 2023, 10:14:56 AM »
yup we're in the same boat....  The risks do seem higher on transition than low-impact street stuff, true. But on the other hand, I usually have more fun skating ramps and my knees definitely seem to prefer transition too!

I'd like to at least dip my toes into transition again but I've got the fear good and proper after completely exploding an ankle decades ago.  Having less sore knees after a session would be amazing.

Jack Locke

« Reply #2770 on: September 29, 2023, 01:34:38 AM »
Was a nice fall early evening

Baglady

• Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2771 on: September 29, 2023, 06:20:16 AM »

“Anti depression machine” I love it man.
I went out yesterday evening. South tx

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2772 on: September 29, 2023, 07:01:55 AM »

Fall is the best time of year to skate...
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Jack Locke

« Reply #2773 on: September 29, 2023, 02:15:44 PM »
^agreed.  my favorite time of year, that and early spring. just perfect.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2774 on: October 01, 2023, 02:56:13 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx2c9sAJNLw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Was out for a minute, finally back in!
Turn 45 in December …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2775 on: October 01, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »
welcome back!

as for me I tried for 30 to 40 minutes this morning to relearn bs 50-50 slappys....Just not happening. At all.
Kinda feel like a fraud as an old man skate dude to not have that trick under my belt  :P
(anymore! come on I used to do those no problem when I was young and shit...)
Stoked I got to sweat in the sun anyways.
Plus I finally got my bs rock and rolls back on the mini.....gonna beat that horse to death now ha.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #2776 on: October 01, 2023, 11:07:37 AM »
Been a bit of struggle recently. Did mange this little circus move that I must have learned about 35 years ago though...

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2777 on: October 01, 2023, 02:00:29 PM »
Been a bit of struggle recently. Did mange this little circus move that I must have learned about 35 years ago though...

Rad. I was screwing around with those about 6 weeks ago. I hit my knee, my shin, my other knee, and then my nuts. At that point, I was like, “OK. Maybe just stick with regular kickflips.” Congrats you got this. Good one, too.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #2778 on: October 01, 2023, 09:06:56 PM »

Beautifully done

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2779 on: October 01, 2023, 09:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Beautifully done

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #2780 on: October 04, 2023, 05:37:44 AM »
I think i am finally qualified to write in this thread
Set Up: 7.9 Dgk
            48 f4 classic 99d (54 new)
            thunder 147
            Modus 7
            Miles grip
Preferred Terrain: Street, ledges, manual pads, banks and small stair sets
Favorite skaters: Reynolds, Kirchart, Carroll, Welsh
Music: Punk and Hip hop (Rancid, Nofx, Lag Wagon, Propagandhi, Strike Anywhere, Pennywise...)
Married: Living with a partner
Kids: my partner has a daughter but now she is at a university

I have been skating since 1996 and the 2000s were like my prime, then i got almost a decade of nomadic life with not very regular skating but when i settled in 2019 i have been skating on regular basis and i think that now i more into skateboarding (in all its aspects) than any other time in my life.

I turned 40 on monday and released a little skate edit for the anniversary. I posted it on the "post you skating" thread and if it is a spam to post it here, the admins could remove it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2781 on: October 04, 2023, 07:16:54 AM »

I turned 40 on monday and released a little skate edit for the anniversary. I posted it on the "post you skating" thread and if it is a spam to post it here, the admins could remove it.

Definitely rad to have anything like this up in this thread, so welcome to another milestone and good times ahead!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2782 on: October 04, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »

lovely clip @Frank and Fred

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2783 on: October 04, 2023, 09:52:36 AM »

When did you film most of those tricks? You skate like you’re in your twenties.  Awesome vid

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2784 on: October 04, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »
Never filmed a part and so decided to do one for my 48th. All tricks filmed at age 47 except the last one. I had a few more things to work on but fucked myself up about six weeks ago. Also fucked up some editing but it is what it is... middle age mediocrity

That was awesome mate. Last trick was hella sick. I don't really skate transition, so all those tricks were mad insane to me. You make sw feeble to fakie look really easy, but it isnt. I hope I could do half of that stuff in 15 years.
IG: @flowterspace

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #2785 on: October 04, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »
Thank you kindly. Going to give myself a year and half to see what I can come up with for 50. But at this age, one bad injury can really slow things down...

Ron Allen. Ron Allen. Ron Allen. Inspiration for days.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #2786 on: October 04, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »
Thank you kindly. Going to give myself a year and half to see what I can come up with for 50. But at this age, one bad injury can really slow things down...

Ron Allen. Ron Allen. Ron Allen. Inspiration for days.

Sam Cunningham is 60, skating and tattooing…
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #2787 on: October 05, 2023, 12:12:11 AM »

That was beautiful. What’s the trick in getting those? Just hitting the obstacle at an angle? Ora the back foot need to push into the pocket similar to a pressure flip?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2788 on: October 05, 2023, 01:08:15 AM »
Set Up: 7.9 Dgk
            48 f4 classic 99d (54 new)
            thunder 147
            Modus 7
            Miles grip
Preferred Terrain: Street, ledges, manual pads, banks and small stair sets
Favorite skaters: Reynolds, Kirchart, Carroll, Welsh
Music: Punk and Hip hop (Rancid, Nofx, Lag Wagon, Propagandhi, Strike Anywhere, Pennywise...)
Married: Living with a partner
Kids: my partner has a daughter but now she is at a university

I have been skating since 1996 and the 2000s were like my prime, then i got almost a decade of nomadic life with not very regular skating but when i settled in 2019 i have been skating on regular basis and i think that now i more into skateboarding (in all its aspects) than any other time in my life.

damn your post made me remember we all used to fill that little form in entering this thread so I went back to see if I had done it....and then I realized it's been 10 years!! damn a decade of "old dudes post up here"!? so now we even greyer and balder!

anyways welcome dude, and I second the fact you are skating like a young guy....is 40 the new 30?! oh also I'm curious: the comments under your vid are in russian right? Russian yourself?

also  @Frank and Fred : nice ! I always thought those were done like a heelflip but you make it turn like a kickflip right?? any pointers to that move for  yghartsyrtt and me? and others!?

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #2789 on: October 05, 2023, 02:59:47 AM »
Thanx, pals :)
The tricks are from this summer and i wish i had a camera, but the phone is ok too. The comments under my video are in Bulgarian, but it is a cyrilic alphabet so it looks russian (in fact a lot of movies are shot in bulgaria and the scenes are pretending to be in russia :) haha same alphabet and socialist architecture)
The @Frank and Fred video is great, solid transition and slappy game, also the fugazi music is always a good addition to skating.
I have actually started to enjoy watching the videos of the pals here more than the pro videos (yes the pros are spectacular and super good), but here it is more relatable and there is at least some kind of a cyber connection, and the old guns skating are really an inspiration.
Cheers!