Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304341 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2790 on: October 05, 2023, 03:55:12 AM »

Solid backtails. The fakie tre looked so effortless.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2791 on: October 05, 2023, 10:15:53 AM »

also  @Frank and Fred : nice ! I always thought those were done like a heelflip but you make it turn like a kickflip right?? any pointers to that move for  yghartsyrtt and me? and others!?

I wish I knew... haha... I think the key might be to come in at a slight angle, like a small frontside carve, start the no comply early, and smash hard... you really need to get the back foot out of the way early on. Play around with that a few times and see how it flips and then you can dial in your catch and landing...

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2792 on: October 05, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »

also  @Frank and Fred : nice ! I always thought those were done like a heelflip but you make it turn like a kickflip right?? any pointers to that move for  yghartsyrtt and me? and others!?

I wish I knew... haha... I think the key might be to come in at a slight angle, like a small frontside carve, start the no comply early, and smash hard... you really need to get the back foot out of the way early on. Play around with that a few times and see how it flips and then you can dial in your catch and landing...
[/quote]

When I had them they were 'heelflipped', I guess that's just the way I learned 'em.  No carving or anything, just a normal no comply up/over a curb but quickly pressure the heel towards the curb at the right time.  Think 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction', so force the tail to hit the curb at an angle (towards the toe or heel edge) instead of the flat of the tail.  Hitting the tail toe-side edge against the curb will 'kick flip' it, and vice versa.

Chef's kiss!  Definitely putting younger dudes to shame.  Everything was good, but I definitely appreciated that speedy kickflip up the curb.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2793 on: October 23, 2023, 09:30:42 AM »

Some recent old man happenings. Some illegal moves. Two of these dudes are very close to 60.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #2794 on: October 23, 2023, 09:37:39 AM »

Some recent old man happenings. Some illegal moves. Two of these dudes are very close to 60.

Love seeing this shit.

231st Street

• Rep: -199
« Reply #2795 on: October 23, 2023, 01:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Love seeing this shit.

Same-- I wouldn't necessarily say any of this is illegal-- early grabs if over coping level seem very legal (and airs). Maybe the  Bert slide but they are the best?  Now if there was a two handed Burt slide I might say illegal.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2796 on: October 23, 2023, 02:13:05 PM »
hahah thanks.

I haven't done early grabs in years but there was a younger skater at the park doing them. I asked if he'd be offended if I did a few and so it went...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2797 on: October 24, 2023, 01:10:06 AM »
early grabs were definitely illegal in the 90's.....but we've all grown past that right!?
anyways loved it, big fan of layback grinds.  8)

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2798 on: October 24, 2023, 01:22:39 AM »
Even though early grabs were illegal/frowned upon ... Ive always secretly wished I could do them as it would have made learning grabs way easier (not that I can reach my board anymore anyway)

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2799 on: October 24, 2023, 01:49:48 AM »
My trick selection shrunk too much that it would allow for categorizing tricks into legal and illegal

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2800 on: October 24, 2023, 08:04:46 AM »
I personally give anyone under 12 and over 50 a pass. They can do whatever they want on a skateboard.

Pacificodrinkin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2801 on: October 24, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
I heard this is the place to be old and post stuff. Here's a "review" of a badass park in Washington:

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2802 on: October 24, 2023, 05:26:49 PM »
Park looks amazing. Shallow end smiths looked amazing also. Someone gnar this ripper.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2803 on: October 24, 2023, 08:04:21 PM »
I personally give anyone under 12 and over 50 a pass. They can do whatever they want on a skateboard.

Hmmm...I'm over 50 and can't do much of anything on a skateboarding let alone "...whatever I want".

Yes. I attempted a Dad type joke there...it didn't work...but that's kinda the deal isn't it?
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2804 on: October 25, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »

Sick, I hope to be still going as strong when I'm close to 60!  The question is, can my knees hold out for another 9 years!

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2805 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:30 AM »
When is old old enough to post here?
Does 36 years of age make the cut?
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2806 on: October 25, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »

Old is a state of mind.

But yeah I think 36 makes the cut

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2807 on: October 25, 2023, 12:05:07 PM »
I just turned 35 a couple days ago. So far my 30s have been better than previous decades. I skate worse though.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

231st Street

• Rep: -199
« Reply #2808 on: October 25, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »
early grabs were definitely illegal in the 90's.....but we've all grown past that right!?
anyways loved it, big fan of layback grinds.  8)

Correct.  I wish I had ignored that then and learned to do them properly instead of in last two years.

My opinion is as I see not even just kids but dudes in there 20s enjoying them off of transitions, street transitions, etc., and similarly with really old heads over 50+ I just wish I had practiced it more.  The first one I did off the side of a mini ramp I was hooked.

I do believe that executed properly in this day and age, it is not illegal-  ie sick early grab above coping I think now shows a well rounded skater and no one wants to be not be able to skate a quarterpipe in 2023 in my opinion at least in NYC metro area.

Again, I can't execute properly.  My form of early grab is definitely illegal as typically executed (ie off a curb or something ha).  Above coping has to be legal in 2023 though and certainly in relation to a wall ride combo and/or large drop or street vert, etc.  Again excluding skate, which I dont do and would say this of course remains illegal for as we know.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2809 on: October 26, 2023, 06:32:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Old is a state of mind.

But yeah I think 36 makes the cut
In that case.

Wazzaaaap!!!!??!?
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2810 on: October 26, 2023, 07:26:48 AM »
Been sk8n the small city where I learned how to skate and last nite hit some spots i was sk8n at 16-20. I have no gap game anymore and wont try it, but my ledge and bench bag from back then, although small, is deeper and got thrown down on the same tall benches as it was 20ish years ago. Getting on top of and landing on those things was the highest level of hype i have had in a long time. Higher than learning BS ollies/airs a few months ago.

No skateparks but lots of fresh crusty construction, so my sk8 rat senses are off the wall and making shit happen. Haven’t had to skate street like this is a mad long while. Shits nice!

In my late 30s drive to be able to push and roll switch as proficiently as regs, i blasted a couple small hills switch last night too. Thats a wild ride!

Last, ive been fucking around with different decks foe the past 6 months and my skating has been weak. Went back to the old trusty 8.5/14.5 BBS and am landing everything. Idk how people can pop higher than a soda can on those no kicks boards. I cant anyways.

Peace luv n sk8 greeze
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

alecjahr

• Rep: -109
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2811 on: October 26, 2023, 11:11:05 PM »
Didn’t know where else to ask this and didn’t wanna make a thread. Where can I find a list of pros / ams from Florida? Old man here sorry.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2812 on: October 27, 2023, 04:41:08 AM »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #2813 on: November 06, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
Question for you distinguished gentlemen…  Have you ever filmed a part, then when it was finally done, felt overwhelming shame and emptiness? 

I spent pretty much all my free time over the past 4-5 months putting together my first one ever, after a very long hiatus off the board.  On one hand.. I had a blast working on it, and I’m actually really proud of the hard work I put in and some of the tricks I got.

On the other hand, I can’t watch it without thinking it seems incredibly self serious and most of the footy is straight ass.  I’m also kinda torn up because I’m a pretty obsessive person, and it feels like that chapter is now closed and I’m left with a void.

I know I’m overthinking all of this.. but has anyone else here ridden this emotional rollercoaster as an aging skateboarder?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2814 on: November 06, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »
Question for you distinguished gentlemen…  Have you ever filmed a part, then when it was finally done, felt overwhelming shame and emptiness? 

I spent pretty much all my free time over the past 4-5 months putting together my first one ever, after a very long hiatus off the board.  On one hand.. I had a blast working on it, and I’m actually really proud of the hard work I put in and some of the tricks I got.

On the other hand, I can’t watch it without thinking it seems incredibly self serious and most of the footy is straight ass.  I’m also kinda torn up because I’m a pretty obsessive person, and it feels like that chapter is now closed and I’m left with a void.

I know I’m overthinking all of this.. but has anyone else here ridden this emotional rollercoaster as an aging skateboarder?
Yes. I just finished up the video I’ve been working on for the last year and it was a weird feeling. I’ve put together videos for several years now but they were just mish-mashes of lifestyle stuff and skating and surfing or whatever seemed memorable. Those were just dumb fun. This time was a full video with actual parts. I struggled a lot with being happy with what I was getting on film and was frankly burned out. I finally got my “ender” by just deciding I wanted to film stuff that was less a representation of my best skating and more a representation of my typical to good days. That helped- I’m fine thinking that for better or worse I’m having fun, so if I look back and see myself having fun I’m pretty stoked.

What makes you feel like it’s too self serious?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2815 on: November 06, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »
Appreciate the reply!  Makes sense why one would feel this way, but ultimately it’s something that should be looked back upon fondly.. whether or not it’s something you feel comfortable sharing with the world.

To answer your question.. mostly just how stressed and sweaty I look throughout the whole thing.  Also, maybe the song.. it’s nothing too epic, just a couple Oh Sees tracks spliced together.. but I’ve been thinking a re-edit to something a little, I dunno, breezier, might help reshape my perspective on it.  I actually threw a few surfing clips in the middle too, but my phone camera quality from far away on the shore isn’t that great.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2816 on: November 06, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »

For sure. But busting out the kook cam to self film my first "part" at age 47 actually motivated me to skate more and try harder... So while I am not satisfied with it and cringe at a lot of it, it did get me off the couch...

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2817 on: November 06, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »
Appreciate the reply!  Makes sense why one would feel this way, but ultimately it’s something that should be looked back upon fondly.. whether or not it’s something you feel comfortable sharing with the world.

To answer your question.. mostly just how stressed and sweaty I look throughout the whole thing.  Also, maybe the song.. it’s nothing too epic, just a couple Oh Sees tracks spliced together.. but I’ve been thinking a re-edit to something a little, I dunno, breezier, might help reshape my perspective on it.  I actually threw a few surfing clips in the middle too, but my phone camera quality from far away on the shore isn’t that great.
My vid has surfing and an oh sees song lol. For a second I was like- do I know this person? I know what you mean though. I had one trick that I battled for a half hour. I almost didn’t include it because it reminds me of how little fun that was. I decided going forward that I’m not having fun trying a trick I’m stopping. Lesson learned.

Surf clips are a pain. So much time hoping someone gets a good ride and then hoping the clip looks ok.

I think that’s a good idea - re-edit to make it fun.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2818 on: November 06, 2023, 03:38:32 PM »

As someone who looks extra sweaty in every clip I have, I feel you. I always joke with my wife that the kids at my local probably call me the sweaty ol' dude. I used to really get in my own head about it for a long time but now I just make light of it.

But to address your initial post, I've always felt self-conscious about every clip that I've gotten. It's human nature to be critical of ones own work. At the end of the day, as long as you feel some sense of accomplishment, that's all that matters.

PS, I doubt your clips are "straight ass" and if you end up deciding to share them on here (if you haven't already), I'd like to check it out. Hopefully it can inspire me to stop wasting time and put something together before I no longer have the option.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2819 on: November 06, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
Thanks man, I probably will post it on here sooner or later.  Always hyped to see other Pals’ footy too!  I tweaked the song choice a bit and I’m not feeling so down about it now.. I think the time change just hits me hard every year, cause once it’s winter and dark out after work, I more or less give up on outdoor hobbies.  I need to man up and and bust out the the led spotlight.