Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304385 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2820 on: November 06, 2023, 04:19:28 PM »
Ok since othe people post their vids here’s me and my homies

http://youtu.be/87UWPvGxsJM?si=e2mKlWS7rSqWku8o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:30:44 PM by SatanicPanic »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2821 on: November 06, 2023, 06:47:18 PM »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2823 on: November 06, 2023, 06:58:09 PM »
I don't think I ever posted in here (this thread got started around the time I had a bit of a shutdown from the web).

2 Set Ups: 8.25/8.5 Krookeds
                55/53 mm Formula 4's
                Thunder 147s Old Jamie Thomas ones/Titanium Lights
                Reds/Bronsons
                Nacho (local brand)/Jessup
Preferred Terrain: Curbs followed by everything else but handrails
Favorite skaters: Without writing a list, I'll just say that one of my faves is Busenitz.
Music: No headphones skating, but on the way to the spot anything from hip-hop to punk to 80's pop.
Married: Contractually obligated and domesticated.
Kids: 2 Cats
Occupation: State govt. Dept. of Health UX/UI and multimedia developer.

I started skating in '85 in a rural country town north of Baton Rouge (a 10 year old bombing hills), but by '87 I'd made a number of buddies from both BR and New Orleans (still homies with a number of them). I now live in a small city right between the two. Me and some friends here and a bunch more from BR did a lot of work on getting the skateparks built in Louisiana (city board meetings, parks and rec planning meetings, and lobbying the state legislature with our 501c3 organization).

Never had a dry spell from skating, but this decade has been a weird one because of two different surgeries (lower back vertebrae fusion/rods two-ish years ago, then a tibial plateau fracture with a plate and 8 pins last year). I've been skating hard, but definitely much lower impact than I used to. Aside from the injuries, up until I wound up fracturing some shit in my back I feel like I'd been progressing as far as my board control goes... some new tricks, but I never felt more solid.

I've had some balancing and timing issues since the first surgery, but I've skated at least one day a week every week for about a year now (I aim for two or three times a week, but life an all). If I'm not at my neighborhood Dreamland park, I'm at one of a couple of french fry curb spots I like to spend hours at.

Come visit!

(Loving y'alls footy! Fucking crushing!)

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2824 on: November 06, 2023, 07:12:56 PM »
That was some good parking block stuff.

What was the attitude like to skateboarding like LA in the 80s? In NJ the cops hated on us. In 1990 they passed a law in my town making it illegal to ride a skateboard on the sidewalk. I remember being pulled over at 7 PM and given a court summons. My father even helped me build a mini ramp so as not to have to deal with cops.

Also, I just got back from N.O. And have decided it is the most interesting city in the US. It also has the best food.

P.S. you’re podcast wound up in my feed the other day so I learned about your back issues. Good to see you back at it.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #2825 on: November 06, 2023, 07:21:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Question for you distinguished gentlemen…  Have you ever filmed a part, then when it was finally done, felt overwhelming shame and emptiness? 

I spent pretty much all my free time over the past 4-5 months putting together my first one ever, after a very long hiatus off the board.  On one hand.. I had a blast working on it, and I’m actually really proud of the hard work I put in and some of the tricks I got.

On the other hand, I can’t watch it without thinking it seems incredibly self serious and most of the footy is straight ass.  I’m also kinda torn up because I’m a pretty obsessive person, and it feels like that chapter is now closed and I’m left with a void.

I know I’m overthinking all of this.. but has anyone else here ridden this emotional rollercoaster as an aging skateboarder?
[close]

For sure. But busting out the kook cam to self film my first "part" at age 47 actually motivated me to skate more and try harder... So while I am not satisfied with it and cringe at a lot of it, it did get me off the couch...

Sick Expos hat!

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2826 on: November 07, 2023, 02:48:36 AM »
Haven't posted here in a while. Stoked on all those clips you guys recently posted, lovely stuff!

Turning 42 this month, still having fun and getting inspired by my favorite skaters. Mini CK tribute from last week:

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2827 on: November 07, 2023, 06:27:35 AM »
That was some good parking block stuff.

What was the attitude like to skateboarding like LA in the 80s? In NJ the cops hated on us. In 1990 they passed a law in my town making it illegal to ride a skateboard on the sidewalk.
Some things are universal!

We used to get into shit with frat boys at LSU back then... it was definitely a "skaters vs the world" existence! 

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2828 on: November 07, 2023, 08:41:21 AM »
Went from skating 2-3 times a week to once every two weeks. Now my lower back hurts when I skate. Being old sucks sometimes. How in the hell did my back get out of shape that quick? 🤨

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #2829 on: November 07, 2023, 08:46:14 AM »
Damn, Franc and Grim dancing around on curbs and coping. Good shit.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2830 on: November 17, 2023, 08:26:59 PM »
back to basics

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2831 on: November 17, 2023, 10:34:28 PM »
back to basics

Man, that shit is cinematic, beautiful colors; the skate style is good too. I always appreciate stuff being decked out.
Bravo

Also, how to have that nice loop of beautimous going?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 10:45:49 PM by turdtastic »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2832 on: November 18, 2023, 09:35:32 AM »
Thanks. I just uploaded it to Imugr and that's how it's hosted.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2206
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2833 on: November 18, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
I keep waiting to be old enough to start posting in this thread, but geriatric pain issues aside, I just don’t think I’m quite there yet.
I turned over my 52nd year today & thought this would be the day, but nah…
I’ll check back in w/ y’all in another 5 years or so, when presumably I finally start being an old.
Big love & lots of thera-gun massages to all of you for keeping it going, though.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2834 on: November 18, 2023, 11:44:49 AM »
HBD Lou! Sounds like you'll never make it to this thread.

A 17 year old at the skatepark  told me he thought I was in my 30s, yesterday. Might have to delete my posts in this here thread.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2835 on: November 18, 2023, 05:45:22 PM »
iv goT 10 [ rAp ]

g - marley g
peace - marley peace
killa - marley killa
drug - marley drug
duv - marley duv
ill - marley ill
cool - marley cool
hippy - marley j
cripwalk - marley cripwalk
od - marley od

yo its m4rley

guyledouche

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2836 on: November 20, 2023, 10:45:20 PM »
Went from skating 2-3 times a week to once every two weeks. Now my lower back hurts when I skate. Being old sucks sometimes. How in the hell did my back get out of shape that quick? 🤨

It might actually be your hip flexors and/or legs. I used to have the same problem because I sit at a desk all day for work. I stopped going to the gym and started skating every other day instead of 2-3 days a week and now my knees hurt. I realized a while ago that it’s important to cross train (illegal terminology) at our ages. Strong legs and core prevents injury and pain. I just didn’t want to spend $100 a month to wait in line to use a squat rack and a bench… but I need to figure something out.

Anyway, you can probably solve the lower back problem by changing how you go about your days. Maybe introduce some stretching or light workouts? Walking does wonders too!

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #2837 on: November 20, 2023, 11:38:49 PM »
I'm 48, started skating in '87.
My right knee's OCL is blown, I still skate mini ramps and can still skate flat.
I can still land kickflips, frontside flips, varial flips and the odd 360 flip.
Been riding a 7.75" since the mid '90's, 149 Thunders and 52mm Spitfires. I have size 13 feet, but wider boards feel slow and heavy, even an 8". Slow 3 flips suck.
I have a reasonably good park 3 blocks away, which is nice.
My body does ache for a good few days after a few hours skating. Getting old sucks.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2838 on: November 21, 2023, 01:26:31 AM »
Haven't posted here in a while. Stoked on all those clips you guys recently posted, lovely stuff!

Turning 42 this month, still having fun and getting inspired by my favorite skaters. Mini CK tribute from last week:

Really nice CK hommage. Propperly executed. And the ramp looks like a dream. Do you know the dimensions (radius, height)?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2839 on: November 21, 2023, 01:31:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It might actually be your hip flexors and/or legs. I used to have the same problem because I sit at a desk all day for work. I stopped going to the gym and started skating every other day instead of 2-3 days a week and now my knees hurt. I realized a while ago that it’s important to cross train (illegal terminology) at our ages. Strong legs and core prevents injury and pain. I just didn’t want to spend $100 a month to wait in line to use a squat rack and a bench… but I need to figure something out.

Anyway, you can probably solve the lower back problem by changing how you go about your days. Maybe introduce some stretching or light workouts? Walking does wonders too!

I had constant back pain for about 2 years....finally got rid of it by doing core exercices everyday ( sit-ups, the plank etc...).

anyways we are now entering the shitty weather part of the year here in northern Europe and that bums me out. I have to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get to an indoor park, so I'm skating even less. also the small mini they have in that place has such a slow and mellow transition I actually had trouble adjusting to it! anyways I just REALLY hate skating in the cold, it's gonna be long waiting for march or april to roll around....

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2840 on: November 21, 2023, 06:01:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had constant back pain for about 2 years....finally got rid of it by doing core exercices everyday ( sit-ups, the plank etc...).

anyways we are now entering the shitty weather part of the year here in northern Europe and that bums me out. I have to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get to an indoor park, so I'm skating even less. also the small mini they have in that place has such a slow and mellow transition I actually had trouble adjusting to it! anyways I just REALLY hate skating in the cold, it's gonna be long waiting for march or april to roll around....

I've been battling a herniated disc for years and need to get on this.  It's brutal.  Did you have a routine?  Time?  I think I need to figure out something to do every day.  Been doing yoga which helps, but need to work on the core, hip & glute strength

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2841 on: November 21, 2023, 09:03:20 AM »
Pretty much my standard session with all the go-tos with only 2 months 'till 51 hits.  The real end goal was more about trying to put some natural motion into tripod clips in Davinci Resolve.  Nearly there I reckon.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2842 on: November 22, 2023, 12:43:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been battling a herniated disc for years and need to get on this.  It's brutal.  Did you have a routine?  Time?  I think I need to figure out something to do every day.  Been doing yoga which helps, but need to work on the core, hip & glute strength

yeah a physical therapist showed me a routine, that I started doing everyday. And after the pain went away, I did it every 2 days. It goes like:
1: 50 basic situps.
2: 50 situps where the objective is to touch the front of your knee with opposing hand. Right hand to left knee and vice versa. That one helps the most for some reason.
3: laying on your stomach and lifting your shoulders/head off the ground. Gently at first.

A few years later, I added the plank exercice, starting with 1 minute and progressively lengthening it.
I work sitting in front of a computer and I feel these exercices have helped remain somewhat agile.
Good luck with your back man, back pain is a bitch. (also to note, I did not have any injury or condition, just pain...so don't overdo it either. During the pandemic, I started doing harder exercices and totally fucked my back again for 3 weeks!)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2843 on: November 22, 2023, 01:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah a physical therapist showed me a routine, that I started doing everyday. And after the pain went away, I did it every 2 days. It goes like:
2: 50 situps where the objective is to touch the front of your knee with opposing hand. Right hand to left knee and vice versa. That one helps the most for some reason.
3: laying on your stomach and lifting your shoulders/head off the ground. Gently at first.

A few years later, I added the plank exercice, starting with 1 minute and progressively lengthening it.
I work sitting in front of a computer and I feel these exercices have helped remain somewhat agile.
Good luck with your back man, back pain is a bitch. (also to note, I did not have any injury or condition, just pain...so don't overdo it either. During the pandemic, I started doing harder exercices and totally fucked my back again for 3 weeks!)

Great, thanks man.  Pretty similar to my physios routine too.  Im starting up some of the knees over toes stuff again, like the lunges, and will add these into the reps.  Keeping it all pretty chill. 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2844 on: November 22, 2023, 02:23:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Great, thanks man.  Pretty similar to my physios routine too.  Im starting up some of the knees over toes stuff again, like the lunges, and will add these into the reps.  Keeping it all pretty chill.

you're welcome good luck! btw I forgot: that 3rd exercise on your stomach is 50 repetitions as well.
I did some kneesovertoes stuff last year, and maybe it helped, cause the knee pain went away. In exchange I now have hip pain hahaha.....middle age is awesome, always some new maintenance to do somewhere on the body    ::)

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2845 on: December 22, 2023, 02:52:44 PM »
Well I’m less than 2 weeks from 50, and worked on a video part with friends over the summer and early fall before my knee started giving me problems.
My part starts at the 16 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/7X9wz5-9L78?si=IGZY65WoUJq72Ft2

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2846 on: December 22, 2023, 04:04:42 PM »

Sick, bro!  I love that song, too.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2847 on: December 22, 2023, 05:37:20 PM »
Well I’m less than 2 weeks from 50, and worked on a video part with friends over the summer and early fall before my knee started giving me problems.

Much Respek
And Happy early birthday too!!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2848 on: December 22, 2023, 05:53:15 PM »

Yes! Always stoked on Dave Waite footie.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #2849 on: December 22, 2023, 06:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes! Always stoked on Dave Waite footie.

I wish i could be like david waite
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa