Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304430 times)

guyledouche

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2850 on: December 22, 2023, 07:43:36 PM »
I just turned 43. I'm probably about a month or two away from being able to roll away from a proper back tail for the first time. I'll be posting that shit everywhere and will post here. Although someone here thinks I'm Dan Corrigan so I kind of don't want to ruin it for them.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2851 on: December 22, 2023, 08:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well I’m less than 2 weeks from 50, and worked on a video part with friends over the summer and early fall before my knee started giving me problems.
My part starts at the 16 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/7X9wz5-9L78?si=IGZY65WoUJq72Ft2
[close]

Yes! Always stoked on Dave Waite footie.
[close]

I wish i could be like david waite
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Thanks guys!

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2852 on: December 22, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »
I just turned 43. I'm probably about a month or two away from being able to roll away from a proper back tail for the first time. I'll be posting that shit everywhere and will post here. Although someone here thinks I'm Dan Corrigan so I kind of don't want to ruin it for them.
Congrats. Backtail is scary to learn, when one slip out to the face could be the end of skateboarding forever at this age.

I salute you. I’ve only ever slid one 15 years ago on a red CA curb at a closed hotel in Long Beach. Didn’t roll away… and never ever could do it again or try much. (But I should have. I really wish I had tried more because falling hard now suuuuuuuuucks.)

I’m trying to learn/get better at backtails the cheater way with fakie, and would only ever try those scary ass BSTS if I had a 6” curb and maybe also a giant shot of painkillers in my lower back.

Slide on, brave one.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2853 on: December 22, 2023, 09:21:04 PM »
Great clip!!!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #2854 on: December 23, 2023, 01:04:35 AM »
Just turned 54 and kickflipped on flat second try.
I have three flip tricks left in the bag and that is all she wrote.

Definitely need to stretch because I am pretty fucking creaky.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2855 on: December 23, 2023, 01:13:12 AM »
Really nice CK hommage. Propperly executed. And the ramp looks like a dream. Do you know the dimensions (radius, height)?

Thanks! Sorry about the delayed answer.

That mini quarter pipe is fantastic indeed, I just texted my buddy who works at this park (and probably built it), I'll let you know about dimensions and all that when I hear from him.

Well I’m less than 2 weeks from 50, and worked on a video part with friends over the summer and early fall before my knee started giving me problems.

That was fantastic man! Congratulations!

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2856 on: December 23, 2023, 06:26:09 AM »
And the ramp looks like a dream. Do you know the dimensions (radius, height)?

It's 60 to 70 centimeters high with a 2-meter radius. Homeboy isn't completely sure about the height and can't check right now as he's visiting his family abroad. I'm pretty sure it's 60 centimeters high though. I can check that next time I go there if you want.

If I could buy a quarter pipe at my place it'd pretty much be a replica of this one!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2857 on: December 23, 2023, 08:33:40 AM »

Rad! Lots of really cool combos, especially the no comply manual

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2858 on: December 23, 2023, 09:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Seconded.

I never knew nocomply 180 to tail stall was such a rad looking trick. I will be working on incorporating now.

8) Cool part.

guyledouche

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2859 on: December 23, 2023, 09:16:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Congrats. Backtail is scary to learn, when one slip out to the face could be the end of skateboarding forever at this age.

I salute you. I’ve only ever slid one 15 years ago on a red CA curb at a closed hotel in Long Beach. Didn’t roll away… and never ever could do it again or try much. (But I should have. I really wish I had tried more because falling hard now suuuuuuuuucks.)

I’m trying to learn/get better at backtails the cheater way with fakie, and would only ever try those scary ass BSTS if I had a 6” curb and maybe also a giant shot of painkillers in my lower back.

Slide on, brave one.

Yeah I’ve been working on it for at least two years. I slip out towards my face every session but it’s happening less often lately, and now I’m actually staying in the board as they slide on some of them. I have lower back issues too but working out at least once a week and reminding myself to get up and move around throughout the work day helps immensely.

nollieboulala

• Rep: 0
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #2860 on: December 23, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »

So good! Love to see it.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2861 on: December 23, 2023, 11:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Slide on, brave one.
[close]

Yeah I’ve been working on it for at least two years. I slip out towards my face every session but it’s happening less often lately, and now I’m actually staying in the board as they slide on some of them. I have lower back issues too but working out at least once a week and reminding myself to get up and move around throughout the work day helps immensely.
Yeah def post! I’ll try to get a clip of my fakie back tail to back you up.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2862 on: December 23, 2023, 03:55:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Seconded.

I never knew nocomply 180 to tail stall was such a rad looking trick. I will be working on incorporating now.

8) Cool part.
There’s a guy in our crew who can no comply up stairs, to tail, etc. I love 180 no complies but that’s the only thing I’ve ever managed. Wish I could do them straight on.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2863 on: December 23, 2023, 05:45:55 PM »
The straight no comply is thinking about it like it’s fakie. Popping it backwards against the inside of your thigh/leg. Then you jump forward onto it.
No comply to tail is one of my favorites, for me it’s a scoop sideways.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2864 on: December 24, 2023, 03:35:56 AM »
The straight no comply is thinking about it like it’s fakie. Popping it backwards against the inside of your thigh/leg. Then you jump forward onto it.

I feel like this is just one of the many things we all learned growing up skating in the 80s, but I also have helped a lot of younger people learn how to do them well too, mainly starting up a small edge, a curb, a step, or parking block.

@Frank and Fred posted a good one not too long ago as well, so many variations that can make it look pretty good for starters or amazing wizardry for others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2865 on: December 24, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like this is just one of the many things we all learned growing up skating in the 80s, but I also have helped a lot of younger people learn how to do them well too, mainly starting up a small edge, a curb, a step, or parking block.

@Frank and Fred posted a good one not too long ago as well, so many variations that can make it look pretty good for starters or amazing wizardry for others.
I just missed that era of the 80s by a year or so. I’ll keep working on them, thinking about it like it’s fakie is good advice.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2866 on: December 24, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
I learned it by doing it with one foot standing stationary. Kind of popping your board like an Ollie with your back foot. Trying to pop it high and level it out against your inner thigh.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #2867 on: December 24, 2023, 09:54:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I just missed that era of the 80s by a year or so. I’ll keep working on them, thinking about it like it’s fakie is good advice.

yeah, i really got into skateboarding just as the era of legit street skating was unfolding. no complies like slappies, were something i never stopped doing. so when they came back around, i was looking ok with the young blokes... haha...

i did learn backside 360 ones during covid lock down though....

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2868 on: December 26, 2023, 11:18:46 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/stories/absolutely_americano_/3265974353973881034?igsh=ZTcxMWMzOWQ1OA==

Happy with this slappy after being off the board for 3 months. Last time I skated I hurt my hip bad attempting kick flips. I’ve been to PT & they think it’s bursitis.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2869 on: December 26, 2023, 04:01:04 PM »
That looked proper.

And filmed by a ripper too.

Good clip

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2870 on: December 26, 2023, 05:03:50 PM »
That looked proper.

And filmed by a ripper too.

Good clip
Appreciate that.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2871 on: December 26, 2023, 06:29:43 PM »

This rules! Well done, sir!!

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2872 on: December 28, 2023, 12:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This rules! Well done, sir!!
Thanks for the love!
Thrasher shared the video on Junk drawer today.
Best feeling to make a video with friends.
Thanks to anyone who took the time to watch.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2873 on: January 01, 2024, 02:35:41 AM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 03:23:56 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2874 on: January 01, 2024, 08:10:55 AM »
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but this feels like an appropriate place to ask:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on skate fandom when you’re older? It just hit me that I’m a grown ass man and consider myself a “fan” of dudes who are 19, 20, etc. years old. It just struck me as odd. I don’t care for musicians that young (example, it’s really hard for me to listen Olivia Rodrigo - I know she’s talented but her lyrics are childish to me) and I don’t care for any actors that young. Skating is the only activity/medium where borderline teenagers “inspire” me, for lack of a better term.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2875 on: January 01, 2024, 08:22:47 AM »
Didn’t want to start a new thread, but this feels like an appropriate place to ask:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on skate fandom when you’re older? It just hit me that I’m a grown ass man and consider myself a “fan” of dudes who are 19, 20, etc. years old. It just struck me as odd. I don’t care for musicians that young (example, it’s really hard for me to listen Olivia Rodrigo - I know she’s talented but her lyrics are childish to me) and I don’t care for any actors that young. Skating is the only activity/medium where borderline teenagers “inspire” me, for lack of a better term.
Grown ass men get their jollies from college football.

I wouldn’t sweat it.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2876 on: January 01, 2024, 09:18:59 AM »

don't need to be a "fan" to appreciate someone's craft. i never aspired to be one of those skaters i read about in the magazines during my youth. i just enjoyed watching them. Some more. Some less. Same goes for music or acting.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2877 on: January 01, 2024, 04:32:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

don't need to be a "fan" to appreciate someone's craft. i never aspired to be one of those skaters i read about in the magazines during my youth. i just enjoyed watching them. Some more. Some less. Same goes for music or acting.

My take on it is this, especially after having similar conversations about it in the past, to which some others put up very different opinions like "I want to meet this guy and hang out with him for a day" or the old "best skater, worst dude" which I understand, but I find it irrelevant to me.

I like watching their skateboarding, but I don't want to hang out with them or even meet most of them, so from that perspective, it is amazing to see anything from some dudes, old or young, of which I get stoked on and enjoy seeing both things I could do as well as other things I know I could never do at the best of times, but it is still something I get stoked on watching, be it on a screen or right there in front of me.

Sure I have seen my fair share of pro tours, helped in various ways with in store signings and events, even had a good deal of tours and similar things "behind the scenes" so been around a good number of pro dudes and others and although some dudes handle things better than other dudes, they are all still human beings, often thrown in the deep end and expected to perform or whatever, almost like a live circus event for all the masses to see and all that goes with it, sometimes they shine, other times they crash and burn, have meltdowns, etc.

Some people / shop dudes get very jaded with the skate industry and skateboard pros in particular, but I think it comes down to the type of person you are - whether you really like the skater doing the tricks, or just like watching the tricks themselves.

I could watch someone with good style doing the simplest things all day, but I would be hard pressed to watch even a single miunte of footage of someone skatchy, pro or other, with that alone making me like or dislike a skater a whole lot more or less too.

Just to add to that, I am always down to skate with and watch homies skate, people I know more so than someone I don't know, regardless of how good they are, which is a totally different thing to watching a pro skate, who you think should be good, if they are at that level or status, but I know for other people, they just want to meet the person, more than anything else and some totally get their fan on, so really if they get stoked on someone, let them - we were all kids once with stars in our eyes.  Some people still are, I guess.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2878 on: January 01, 2024, 07:08:56 PM »
This should really be in Shoes and Gear - but it feels more at home here. Bought a pair of 808s on sale - telling myself that at my age if they take even a little stress/shock off my creaky ass old knee then I had best get past the mental hurdle of "these are tech shoes and therefore kinda silly for a manny pad and curb guy"...so of course last night we get our first real snowfall of the season and today it's sheet ice everywhere. Well just extra time to break these tanks in wearing them around the house.

Feliz Ano Neuvo and thanks to everyone for the on-going motivation - even if you didn't as a group know you were giving it!
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2879 on: January 01, 2024, 07:56:00 PM »
This should really be in Shoes and Gear - but it feels more at home here. Bought a pair of 808s on sale - telling myself that at my age if they take even a little stress/shock off my creaky ass old knee then I had best get past the mental hurdle of "these are tech shoes and therefore kinda silly for a manny pad and curb guy"...so of course last night we get our first real snowfall of the season and today it's sheet ice everywhere. Well just extra time to break these tanks in wearing them around the house.

Feliz Ano Neuvo and thanks to everyone for the on-going motivation - even if you didn't as a group know you were giving it!
Not silly at all. I wish I could wear vans but I can’t anymore, even around the house they hurt my back. It’s tough to get use to a bulkier shore but when you do it’s the best.