Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304338 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2880 on: January 02, 2024, 03:09:20 AM »
Expand Quote
And the ramp looks like a dream. Do you know the dimensions (radius, height)?
[close]

It's 60 to 70 centimeters high with a 2-meter radius. Homeboy isn't completely sure about the height and can't check right now as he's visiting his family abroad. I'm pretty sure it's 60 centimeters high though. I can check that next time I go there if you want.

If I could buy a quarter pipe at my place it'd pretty much be a replica of this one!

Thanks a lot for the specs, @franc !

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2881 on: January 02, 2024, 10:14:15 PM »
At 39 I don’t consider myself old, however during early morning skates (often the only free time I have) my body is telling me otherwise. Mainly my hips! They really hurt for the first half an hour, then they’re fine for the rest of the day. However half an hour is half my skate sesh, so it’s frustrating. Any tips for waking up without tight hips? I already do Pilates every other day, and I don’t have the motivation to take ice baths, mostly because ice costs $5 a kilo where I live.

Thanks!

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2882 on: January 03, 2024, 02:52:40 AM »
At 39 I don’t consider myself old, however during early morning skates (often the only free time I have) my body is telling me otherwise. Mainly my hips! They really hurt for the first half an hour, then they’re fine for the rest of the day. However half an hour is half my skate sesh, so it’s frustrating. Any tips for waking up without tight hips? I already do Pilates every other day, and I don’t have the motivation to take ice baths, mostly because ice costs $5 a kilo where I live.

Thanks!

Either more or less of what Eli is doing in your signature depending on your daily amount
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

« Reply #2883 on: January 03, 2024, 03:04:44 AM »
Good advice 😂

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2884 on: January 03, 2024, 05:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

Either more or less of what Eli is doing in your signature depending on your daily amount
Ice baths are for joe Rogan fans. Assuming you have IG search tight hips. There’s some great exercisers. Just small things a few days a week will make all the difference. I’ll find my fav one and post it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2885 on: January 03, 2024, 06:41:13 AM »
Yeah, start looking into/ following pages that focus on mobility. Hips are massive (and very hard for me to unlock)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2886 on: January 03, 2024, 07:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

[close]
Ice baths are for joe Rogan fans. Assuming you have IG search tight hips. There’s some great exercisers. Just small things a few days a week will make all the difference. I’ll find my fav one and post it.

Ice is great for reducing inflammation after the sesh and using an ice pack is great for targeting the inflammation and not having to make other parts of your body uncomfortable so that the parts that ache can feel the relief.
Conversely a heating pad in the morning before you head out to skate can increase the elasticity of the muscle and the blood flow to the area. This blood flow allows helps to pad the area and should help to skip your 30min of pain in the first half of your session.
Hopefully this helps and you can enjoy more time on your board with less pain.

« Reply #2887 on: January 03, 2024, 04:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ice is great for reducing inflammation after the sesh and using an ice pack is great for targeting the inflammation and not having to make other parts of your body uncomfortable so that the parts that ache can feel the relief.
Conversely a heating pad in the morning before you head out to skate can increase the elasticity of the muscle and the blood flow to the area. This blood flow allows helps to pad the area and should help to skip your 30min of pain in the first half of your session.

Thanks man I’ll definitely try this 🙏

« Reply #2888 on: January 03, 2024, 04:05:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

[close]
[close]

« Reply #2889 on: January 03, 2024, 04:11:53 PM »

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2890 on: January 03, 2024, 04:56:09 PM »

This is my favorite exercise I learned that opens up my hips. Also I’m back on the kinesiology tape.

« Reply #2891 on: January 03, 2024, 05:03:32 PM »
Thanks guys I’ll be using both these ideas 🙏

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2892 on: January 03, 2024, 07:53:34 PM »
I’ve been doing a cold plunge every morning for over a month now and I kind of feel like it’s turned back the clock a bit. Both physically and mentally.
I’m aware of all the kooks that back it but it’s been huge for me decreasing inflammation and helping my metabolism.
I realize it isn’t an option for most people and is a bit extreme but I can’t say enough good things about the benefits. Mostly battling anxiety and depression.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 45
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #2893 on: January 03, 2024, 08:04:42 PM »
I’ve been doing a cold plunge every morning for over a month now and I kind of feel like it’s turned back the clock a bit. Both physically and mentally.
I’m aware of all the kooks that back it but it’s been huge for me decreasing inflammation and helping my metabolism.
I realize it isn’t an option for most people and is a bit extreme but I can’t say enough good things about the benefits. Mostly battling anxiety and depression.

Wow really? Now I’m interested. I’ll use any ammo I can find against the demons, especially if they don’t involve prescription medication

« Reply #2894 on: January 04, 2024, 02:12:29 AM »

Cold plunge as in full ice bath? My wife and my daughter both do cold showers, I might start with those.
I have a colleague who does 11 minute ice baths with 3kg of ice, I wish I had that kind of fortitude haha

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2895 on: January 04, 2024, 07:01:31 AM »
The water is around 42 degrees, I do full body submerge for 5 minutes.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2896 on: January 04, 2024, 09:27:34 AM »

This is my favorite exercise I learned that opens up my hips. Also I’m back on the kinesiology tape.

I wanna try kinesiology tape. do you know are the cheap ones as good as the name brand ones?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2897 on: January 06, 2024, 09:49:53 AM »
Just turned 47. I got my first board at age six or seven. It’s been 40 years of nonstop fun. Only taking breaks for injuries. I dislocated my elbow 3 months ago and haven’t skated since. I’m working my way back physically. But mentally I might be done. Scaring myself and conquering that fear has always been a big part of my skating. Propaganda was the first real video I owned and Frankie Hill’s part probably contributed to that. I’m not sure if I’ll be satisfied having to play it safe. Right now I’m just missing rolling around and feeling different textures under my wheels. All I can picture myself doing is cruising. My trick days might be done. Enjoy it while you can old dudes!
Here’s a little best of 2023 edit:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1e71KgLo-r/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2898 on: January 06, 2024, 10:40:11 AM »
Just turned 47. I got my first board at age six or seven. It’s been 40 years of nonstop fun. Only taking breaks for injuries. I dislocated my elbow 3 months ago and haven’t skated since. I’m working my way back physically. But mentally I might be done. Scaring myself and conquering that fear has always been a big part of my skating. Propaganda was the first real video I owned and Frankie Hill’s part probably contributed to that. I’m not sure if I’ll be satisfied having to play it safe. Right now I’m just missing rolling around and feeling different textures under my wheels. All I can picture myself doing is cruising. My trick days might be done. Enjoy it while you can old dudes!
Damn dude SD will have lost a ripper! I don’t think we’ve met but I’m pretty sure my friends were there when you filmed the blunt around the corner at Dewey. That was rad!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2899 on: January 06, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »

Lower back/core and hip flexors are what skaters really need to be working on.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2900 on: January 06, 2024, 10:47:34 AM »

Oh shit. I dislocated my elbow last April at age 47 also! How's your recovery going? I finally have full range again and can manage about 30 push ups but its still little stiff at times. Will watch your clips, now.

Edit*
Just watched... Bona fide ripper.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2901 on: January 06, 2024, 07:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wanna try kinesiology tape. do you know are the cheap ones as good as the name brand ones?
I would say yes, I bought the Walgreens brand the other day & I’m happy with the purchase. Also it’s not much cheaper, about a 5$ difference.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2902 on: January 07, 2024, 07:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn dude SD will have lost a ripper! I don’t think we’ve met but I’m pretty sure my friends were there when you filmed the blunt around the corner at Dewey. That was rad!

Thanks! That one around the corner took me 5 trips back to Dewey before I finally rolled away. I think a lot of people had to watch that battle. But I’m pretty sure the day I landed it, only me and 2 friends were there.

Expand Quote
[close]

Oh shit. I dislocated my elbow last April at age 47 also! How's your recovery going? I finally have full range again and can manage about 30 push ups but its still little stiff at times. Will watch your clips, now.

Edit*

I still don’t have full extension of my elbow. I can manage about 15 half ass pushups. The bicep and wrist are in a good amount of pain too. I’ve never done this before, dislocated an elbow. But the slam I took that did it was very similar to hundreds of slams I’ve taken over the years. So that’s scary. I really don’t want to do it again. I’m hoping that once the pain and weakness goes away, my confidence and desire to skate will return.
Are you back to skating?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2903 on: January 09, 2024, 07:07:11 PM »
I am. I dislocated it in early April. My goal was to surf by the end of May and achieved that. Started skating a bit after that but was super intrepid. It was such a painful injury and I often put my hands out when I slam it really messed with my confidence. I have started to slam and bail in some ways that feel unsafe but still more comfortable than putting my arm out. But things are getting better and better.

I had a good PT and acupuncturist for the first few months. I was really diligent with the strengthening and stretching. I also got a Gua Sha tool break up scar tissue.

I still don't fully understand how I dislocated it. Wasn't even that bad of a slam but it must have been the wrong amount of weight put on the elbow at the wrong angle... I hear you... not something you want to do twice... Did you fracture any bones? I was lucky on that front...

My wrist and index finger were swollen for a long time also. Some shoulder pain as well.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2904 on: January 09, 2024, 07:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit*

Dislocated my shoulder at 47. Definitely do pt and all the rom exercises you can. It sucks but you should be able to get back to normal, albeit probably slower.

Agreed on the ripper statement.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2905 on: January 10, 2024, 10:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

update - I was able to get 2 rolls that are 16 feet by 2inches for about $9 shipped via ebay, and they seem to be as quality as the name brand stuff. I'm trying it out for the first time now and it seems to help my ankle a lot right away.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2906 on: January 10, 2024, 10:56:09 AM »
I am. I dislocated it in early April. My goal was to surf by the end of May and achieved that. Started skating a bit after that but was super intrepid. It was such a painful injury and I often put my hands out when I slam it really messed with my confidence. I have started to slam and bail in some ways that feel unsafe but still more comfortable than putting my arm out. But things are getting better and better.

I had a good PT and acupuncturist for the first few months. I was really diligent with the strengthening and stretching. I also got a Gua Sha tool break up scar tissue.

I still don't fully understand how I dislocated it. Wasn't even that bad of a slam but it must have been the wrong amount of weight put on the elbow at the wrong angle... I hear you... not something you want to do twice... Did you fracture any bones? I was lucky on that front...

My wrist and index finger were swollen for a long time also. Some shoulder pain as well.

You're giving me hope! Luckily, I didn't break any bones with my dislocation. But the bone did pop out of the skin and required a couple staples to close up the wound.
I got my dislocation on film. So, it's been analyzed, and I understand exactly what happened. It took me 3 weeks after the slam to muster up the courage to watch the footage though.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2907 on: January 10, 2024, 11:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're giving me hope! Luckily, I didn't break any bones with my dislocation. But the bone did pop out of the skin and required a couple staples to close up the wound.
I got my dislocation on film. So, it's been analyzed, and I understand exactly what happened. It took me 3 weeks after the slam to muster up the courage to watch the footage though.

I detailed this in the injury thread awhile back, but I’ll give you the short version here. In 2019 I broke my leg/ankle on a 6’ tall mini ramp doing a set-up trick I’ve done 1,000s of times. I couldn’t skate for a year, and had significant ligament damage. I had to learn to walk again, let alone skate. My ankle will never be the same as it once was (or my skating), but I am meaningfully skating again, and that’s all that counts. Overcoming some of the mental blocks was almost as hard overcoming the physical ones. (I’ve also become a much bigger fan of pads on transition).

Moral of the story; if I can skating again after that, you got this, if you want it.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2908 on: January 11, 2024, 12:22:34 AM »

Thanks!
My hips are fucked tight and this has changed my life.  Her 30 day morning things are great from front to back.  Got put onto them by a Pal.

Especially the stretch where you hook your leg out front of you whilst stretching the other straight back. 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2909 on: January 11, 2024, 01:37:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I detailed this in the injury thread awhile back, but I’ll give you the short version here. In 2019 I broke my leg/ankle on a 6’ tall mini ramp doing a set-up trick I’ve done 1,000s of times. I couldn’t skate for a year, and had significant ligament damage. I had to learn to walk again, let alone skate. My ankle will never be the same as it once was (or my skating), but I am meaningfully skating again, and that’s all that counts. Overcoming some of the mental blocks was almost as hard overcoming the physical ones. (I’ve also become a much bigger fan of pads on transition).

Moral of the story; if I can skating again after that, you got this, if you want it.

same here pretty much. Told the story before (compound fracture to my ankle at 39, 2 surgeries, to get plate in and out etc). I did eventually get back to skating regularly but it took me years. Maybe 5 years total to start doing tricks again, and not just cruise. But I did get back to it. however the mental block is still there.
it's probably just as well.... I'd rather accept my skating is a shadow of what it was, rather than take more risks. I do want to skate but definitely do not want to get seriously hurt again. So it's a fine line.