Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304387 times)

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2940 on: January 31, 2024, 02:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Glad to find this thread... New member here! Turning 32 a week from today...
[close]

Welcome back, and 32 is hardly old!
[close]
Thanks! Great to be back. It's wild to see the bigger decks people are riding now. Everyone was still on 7.5s and 7.75s when I got away from it. Also, Destructos were still a popular truck at that time...  ;D
[close]
Skating as an oldie is awesome: everything is a blessing, and so you can appreciate everything; and not get all bent out of shape over a trick that isn’t “perfect”.

And come on… 32? You’re a young buck still ;D

And if you haven’t already, just wait till you discover the joys of skating on a 8.5 deck.  Flip tricks a little harder, but damn it feels good under the feet. Of course, if you stick with sub 8”, you’ll always find decks cheap since no one wants them anymore. Haha

I definitely plan on trying the bigger boards! Right now I'm on a 8" blank with some stage 9 Indy 139s I had held onto from like 2007. It's been great to get out there and knock the rust off. I have an 8.125 Habitat and some Thunder 147s on the way as well to start easing things up. If I like the 8.125 over the 8 I'll go 8.25 and keep working up until I find what works best. I imagine 8.125/8.25 will be just about right.

I got my son a 7.5 blank with a 14" wheelbase on my old Thunder 145s also, and that thing is crazy for flat ground. All the flip tricks suck right up to your feet. But it's honestly kind of scary for anything else, especially now that injury impacts work and family.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • sup dog
« Reply #2941 on: January 31, 2024, 03:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks! Great to be back. It's wild to see the bigger decks people are riding now. Everyone was still on 7.5s and 7.75s when I got away from it. Also, Destructos were still a popular truck at that time...  ;D
[close]
Skating as an oldie is awesome: everything is a blessing, and so you can appreciate everything; and not get all bent out of shape over a trick that isn’t “perfect”.

And come on… 32? You’re a young buck still ;D

And if you haven’t already, just wait till you discover the joys of skating on a 8.5 deck.  Flip tricks a little harder, but damn it feels good under the feet. Of course, if you stick with sub 8”, you’ll always find decks cheap since no one wants them anymore. Haha
[close]

I definitely plan on trying the bigger boards! Right now I'm on a 8" blank with some stage 9 Indy 139s I had held onto from like 2007. It's been great to get out there and knock the rust off. I have an 8.125 Habitat and some Thunder 147s on the way as well to start easing things up. If I like the 8.125 over the 8 I'll go 8.25 and keep working up until I find what works best. I imagine 8.125/8.25 will be just about right.

I got my son a 7.5 blank with a 14" wheelbase on my old Thunder 145s also, and that thing is crazy for flat ground. All the flip tricks suck right up to your feet. But it's honestly kind of scary for anything else, especially now that injury impacts work and family.
It’s all risk assessment at this point 8) Find joy in the little things.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2942 on: January 31, 2024, 08:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can always tell when someone quit skating based on how they react to present-day decks. Quit in 1980s or very early 90s? Shocked at how small boards are now. Quit middle 1990s? Shocked at how big boards are now. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2943 on: January 31, 2024, 09:12:31 PM »
Man I'm almost 43 and still struggling with being too hard on myself. I find myself getting flustered and frustrated as I watch the time it takes me to warm up increase, my pop decrease, my fear of certain tricks increase, my confidence decrease and my coordination in general suffer. I'm still holding the line pretty strong but I can feel it irreversibly slipping.

Man, did you ever nail it with those words. DEAD ON.

I never cruised, carved, skated transition, or did any tricks that don't require pop.
Switching to a more laid back, lower impact type of skating is going to be a hard pill to swallow and I'll need to, like, reprogram my brain to accept a dopamine hit from forms of skateboarding I've never been that into or involved with...

When I was younger, like you, I never touched transition. I was a pure street skater. A life-long skater friend of mine had always liked transition. About five years ago, he started getting me to try ramps/bowls more. I was horrible because I had never spent much / any time learning to skate transition in the early years. I eventually learned some real basic tricks, and once you do that, it's like learning to ollie...suddenly the potential is blown wide open. Once that happened, I became obsessed with transition skating (mostly mini ramps), because is was a whole totally untapped area of skating that, in some sense, really was "new" to me. Hopefully something like that will happen to you, because it was a real game changer for me. Sure, I'll never be a great transition skater, but there is still so much I can learn, and I'm having stupid fun with it. And full disclosure, I wear knee pads on ramps 4' tall and over...initially it really helped with the learning process, now it really helps with the mental process (and has certainly saved my ass a few times, too).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 09:20:20 PM by Sedition »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #2944 on: January 31, 2024, 09:21:53 PM »
Another good reason to get a basic foundation on transition is you don't lose tricks as easy.

Once you learn a trick on transition its easier to keep it consistently in rotation than say a flip trick.... maybe its just me...

Still, I'd recommend getting a few basic transition tricks in the bag so you can enjoy all terrain. Variety of terrain really keeps me going.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2945 on: January 31, 2024, 10:38:33 PM »
Another good reason to get a basic foundation on transition is you don't lose tricks as easy.

Once you learn a trick on transition its easier to keep it consistently in rotation than say a flip trick.... maybe its just me...

Still, I'd recommend getting a few basic transition tricks in the bag so you can enjoy all terrain. Variety of terrain really keeps me going.

Not sure about that. Is say it’s a combination of muscle memory and how easy you get scared nowadays.
For example, in the mid 90s I was skating quarter pipes quite comfortably (no proper mini ramp around) doing all the regular stuff including blunts to fakie. Nowadays I struggle with axle stalls on steeper quarter pipes or anything over four or five feet

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2946 on: February 01, 2024, 05:13:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Man I'm almost 43 and still struggling with being too hard on myself. I find myself getting flustered and frustrated as I watch the time it takes me to warm up increase, my pop decrease, my fear of certain tricks increase, my confidence decrease and my coordination in general suffer. I'm still holding the line pretty strong but I can feel it irreversibly slipping.
[close]

Man, did you ever nail it with those words. DEAD ON.

Expand Quote
I never cruised, carved, skated transition, or did any tricks that don't require pop.
Switching to a more laid back, lower impact type of skating is going to be a hard pill to swallow and I'll need to, like, reprogram my brain to accept a dopamine hit from forms of skateboarding I've never been that into or involved with...
[close]

When I was younger, like you, I never touched transition. I was a pure street skater. A life-long skater friend of mine had always liked transition. About five years ago, he started getting me to try ramps/bowls more. I was horrible because I had never spent much / any time learning to skate transition in the early years. I eventually learned some real basic tricks, and once you do that, it's like learning to ollie...suddenly the potential is blown wide open. Once that happened, I became obsessed with transition skating (mostly mini ramps), because is was a whole totally untapped area of skating that, in some sense, really was "new" to me. Hopefully something like that will happen to you, because it was a real game changer for me. Sure, I'll never be a great transition skater, but there is still so much I can learn, and I'm having stupid fun with it. And full disclosure, I wear knee pads on ramps 4' tall and over...initially it really helped with the learning process, now it really helps with the mental process (and has certainly saved my ass a few times, too).

Hell yeah, man. I actually have a friend who is building a mini now (he's the same age as me and has already committed to the transition to...transition, ha)
I can drop in and do rocks and 50/50s and stuff but that's about as far as my transition skill ever made it.
Only thing that makes me nervous is his mini will be like 4.5' tall, I was hoping for like 3' when we started the build.

Do knee pads help much with a mini that size? It seems like half the time you'd just drop all the way to the flat and not really be able to slide out?
But man, if it does work that'd alleviate a lot of my fears of transition. I've always been prone to folding ankles and dislocating kneecaps, so the idea of losing control of a trick and having to run down transition off balance is major danger zone for my loose joints! If I could just slide out that'd be really nice.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2947 on: February 01, 2024, 07:50:41 AM »
Do knee pads help much with a mini that size? It seems like half the time you'd just drop all the way to the flat and not really be able to slide out? But man, if it does work that'd alleviate a lot of my fears of transition. I've always been prone to folding ankles and dislocating kneecaps, so the idea of losing control of a trick and having to run down transition off balance is major danger zone for my loose joints! If I could just slide out that'd be really nice.

They absolutely do help, IMHO, depending on transition length (e.g. not going to work too well on a barrier). People who have never used pads seem to think that way to use them is to just leap off the coping and land on your knees. That's not how to "properly" use them, and will actually do more harm than good. The best way to use them is in a "controlled fall" situation, where the pad becomes the second (but main) point of contact. This is true on both vert, and on smaller ramps (see link below). And I totally agree with on you with the ankle thing. I've seen a lot of (older) people get seriously wrecked on run-outs gone wrong (twisted ankle, knee, etc.). Going into a knee slide (when applicable) helps take that situation off the table. This is not to say every bail should be a kneeslide--it shouldn't. Sometimes a run-out absolutely is the best/safest way to bail. Once you learn to how to use pads, you'll know when to slide out, and when to run out.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2948 on: February 01, 2024, 07:59:30 AM »
if you have trouble at the coping on something under 5 ft you're pretty much goin' flatbottom regardless. shorter doesn't mean safer imo

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2949 on: February 01, 2024, 08:41:14 AM »
...shorter doesn't mean safer imo

Curbs can bite, and bite hard. :)

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2950 on: February 01, 2024, 09:27:40 AM »
if you have trouble at the coping on something under 5 ft you're pretty much goin' flatbottom regardless. shorter doesn't mean safer imo
the 3 feet quarter pipe going straight to vert is something not to be underestimated.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2951 on: February 01, 2024, 09:41:02 AM »
thats kind of what i mean- when you're that low to the ground there's 0 vert. not an issue if you're staying coping level but hanging up on shit that low fucking sucks cause you get spewed directly to flat and the lack of vert means you're way more likely to go too far over the top anyway popping tricks. i'd get pads and skate something bigger if i was learning transition but thats just me

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2952 on: February 01, 2024, 09:46:31 AM »

Depends on the radius of the transition also.

Another thing to consider with knee pads is surface. Great for masonite, skate lite and smooth concrete, not so great on weathered concrete.

On the right surface and right size transition, they are like a parachute. Will def open doors to experimentation and feeling out tricks before committing to  them.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2953 on: February 01, 2024, 09:51:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure about that. Is say it’s a combination of muscle memory and how easy you get scared nowadays.
For example, in the mid 90s I was skating quarter pipes quite comfortably (no proper mini ramp around) doing all the regular stuff including blunts to fakie. Nowadays I struggle with axle stalls on steeper quarter pipes or anything over four or five feet

Yeah, you have to keep up the familiarity to keep confidence going, but I find transition more of a mental battle than anything. if I have done a trick on transition in the past I can probably get it back pretty quick, while on street, the technicality might make that a little more complicated.

For instance, its been awhile since I've done a rock to fakie on a vert ramp but I know it will purely be mental thing and come pretty easy, whereas a 360 popshuv on flat won't be scary but will likely take me longer to do. Probably a dumb comparison. I'll shut up...

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2954 on: February 01, 2024, 10:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, you have to keep up the familiarity to keep confidence going, but I find transition more of a mental battle than anything. if I have done a trick on transition in the past I can probably get it back pretty quick, while on street, the technicality might make that a little more complicated.

For instance, its been awhile since I've done a rock to fakie on a vert ramp but I know it will purely be mental thing and come pretty easy, whereas a 360 popshuv on flat won't be scary but will likely take me longer to do. Probably a dumb comparison. I'll shut up...

Yeah. I get what you mean. I feel the mental barrier is higher on transition. On street you can just stop before the gap or ride past the ledge. On transition, deciding in the last second that you don’t want to commit brings a whole different can of worms.
But maybe it’s just me and my mind just blacking out.
I think on street, some of the tricks call for a lot more minute details than on transition, where it is less pressure point here, flick there, but more shoulders, center of gravity and stuff. But maybe I’m just talking out of my ass. Not sure at the moment

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2955 on: February 01, 2024, 10:34:53 AM »
Depends on the radius of the transition also.

Another thing to consider with knee pads is surface. Great for masonite, skate lite and smooth concrete, not so great on weathered concrete.

On the right surface and right size transition, they are like a parachute. Will def open doors to experimentation and feeling out tricks before committing to  them.

^ Yup. Also, saw this quote somewhere, and it's on point:

“When skating, there is a definitive point where you have to decide to commit. The beauty of (knee) pads is that, even after you've committed, if you notice something doesn't look/feel right, the option to bail to your knees is always present. However, after that point, if you notice something is off/wrong, and you don't have pads, you are going to be in for some shit. Pads give you more (bail) options."

Gland Dongzig

• Rep: 50
« Reply #2956 on: February 03, 2024, 01:21:26 PM »
First of all..great thread! I’m turning 47 in a few days and am just as obsessed with skating as i was 38 years ago..the mental struggle has always been a thing for me, so I try to not let it bring me down. No pressure and the only expectations are hold on to what I have, flip the board less and learn some slappy tricks
https://i.imgur.com/kIivMmE.mp4
good thing about being old is having the humility to post shit like the crap above from the last month.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2957 on: February 03, 2024, 03:27:19 PM »
First of all..great thread! I’m turning 47 in a few days and am just as obsessed with skating as i was 38 years ago..the mental struggle has always been a thing for me, so I try to not let it bring me down. No pressure and the only expectations are hold on to what I have, flip the board less and learn some slappy tricks
good thing about being old is having the humility to post shit like the crap above from the last month.
That was great! Are you wearing the nyjah 2 in the backside slappy 12 seconds in. I just got pair and a little tight in that toes but man do they feel good and make the rest of my body not ache.

Gland Dongzig

« Reply #2958 on: February 03, 2024, 04:57:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That was great! Are you wearing the nyjah 2 in the backside slappy 12 seconds in. I just got pair and a little tight in that toes but man do they feel good and make the rest of my body not ache.
yessir the Nyjah 2s and dunks are about the only shoes i can skate these days for the same reason. Fortunately I have narrow feet so they fit real good.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2959 on: February 03, 2024, 07:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yessir the Nyjah 2s and dunks are about the only shoes i can skate these days for the same reason. Fortunately I have narrow feet so they fit real good.
Narrow feet for the win. It opens up a lot more footwear choices to have narrow feet.

I have wide feet because of bunyons, so it’s always been wide shoes for me. I can’t wear Skate SB Dunk Low Pros, but the normal dunks I can (because they’re not made thinner for skating to hug the feet for control’s sake. Can’t wears cons either.)

I wanted to mention FP insoles though. None of fancy shit… just the all green kingfoam elite soles are freaking amazing. That stuff is no joke, and removes a lot of the knee, foot, and back pain from even just flat ground impact.

I have Etnies Joslin, so the Hi’s are a good 1:1 replacement. They might also be good for any popcush vans. Or any shoe with large removable sole.

They would not be good for any shoe that has a thin insert sole (like the NB’s do on the ones I’ve looked at)

*these: https://www.tactics.com/footprint/kingfoam-elite-hi-insoles/elite-hi-classic
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 07:36:13 PM by JM »
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Gland Dongzig

« Reply #2960 on: February 03, 2024, 08:02:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
That was great! Are you wearing the nyjah 2 in the backside 12 seconds in. I just got pair and a little tight in that toes but man do they feel good and make the rest of my body not ache.
[close]
[close]
Narrow feet for the win.

aka my best attribute :)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2961 on: February 04, 2024, 05:08:46 PM »
Fourth day in a row skateboarding. Not bad, since I am on call for work and its FEB in PNW and I am 48 haha...

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2962 on: February 04, 2024, 06:06:22 PM »
Fourth day in a row skateboarding. Not bad, since I am on call for work and its FEB in PNW and I am 48 haha...

Well that was beyond beutiful. The colors, the style. I’m in they bay & should have got out yesterday. Why are we all so self deprecating? I can’t even do a board slide on a curb anymore.

blizblaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2963 on: February 04, 2024, 06:08:32 PM »
switching from "street" to transition felt so god damn good tbh. street in quotations because i was always so bad at it. i think i became a better transition skater in like 6 months.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2964 on: February 04, 2024, 11:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Well that was beyond beutiful. The colors, the style. I’m in they bay & should have got out yesterday. Why are we all so self deprecating?I can’t even do a board slide on a curb anymore.
I think @Sedition was onto something in that regard. It’s all standards or expectations we can get rid off. Like ask yourself, what you want to do nowadays with that current body of yours. I lost a lot of tricks, but I’m trying to find the (new/old) ones that might push me, but still are realistically available - in terms of skill, body and responsibility. It’s a toy: find your way to have fun with it.
In case this wasn’t clear, this is meant in the most supportive way imaginable. We all deserve our respect for still standing on a board in our late 40s

@Frank and Fred: that was beautiful

MMongrel

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2965 on: February 04, 2024, 11:40:57 PM »
switching from "street" to transition felt so god damn good tbh. street in quotations because i was always so bad at it. i think i became a better transition skater in like 6 months.

For real. I've had a board since I was 10 (34 now) for many years in my adult years I'd have a month or two of more concentrated routines of skating after which I'd fall back into not doing it that much. That seemed to change for the better in the last couple of years. Last summer after some consideration I got a dedicated transition setup and now it feels like I'm more or at least as stoked and immersed in skateboarding as when I started. Going for a small bowl or mini ramp sessions by myself have opened up a completely different world to me that's so different than doing the under a dozen street tricks I've been doing for years and it has lit a spark to really try to learn things properly and go out of my comfort zone. Since I'm not very good at it has also helped to just concentrate in doing what feels good. I did also get a knee pads and a helmet just for the psychologic effect of things feeling safer when doing bigger transition.

The mental game gets tough every once in a while of course but self compassion goes a long way. Hitting the gym every once in a while helps too to keep things feeling good.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2966 on: February 05, 2024, 12:29:17 AM »

Splendid!

Boardslides on transitions always feel sooo good. I personally prefer doing them to fakie, feels better that way for some reason.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2967 on: February 05, 2024, 09:21:29 AM »
Yeah, I should go to fakie. Used to when I was a young man. Not sure why I stopped. Also need to dial in FS boardslides on transition. Messed with them little bit.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2968 on: February 05, 2024, 09:29:39 AM »
I have the opposite problem! I do railslides fakie on minis, but I lost the 180 to forward version. Currently trying to relearn those. Both tricks are awesome IMO. The rock and roll version is more old school but it looks very stylish.

as for the fs version, man they scare the shit out of me. Back when I had fs rocks dialed, I tried to learn the railslide version....I made one and then on the next attempt my front wheels got stuck on the coping, I ate shit so bad, never tried again!

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2969 on: February 05, 2024, 01:34:15 PM »
Skated my local park the first time since moving home - I fundraised for it in the late 90s but moved before it was finished.

It's all pretty tight, with some hectic transition. A good little flatbar and grind box, and a really nice bowl. I got tangled up on my first attempt at a 5050 in the bowl, and smashed my knee pretty hard. But managed to get a few decent 5050 grinds on it after.

I'm going to try skate it weekly at least and get to know some of the big banks/transition. There'll be some rad carve lines once I'm comfortable.

My knee is swollen and bloody... and I've got a full barshift to do now. Worth it.