Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304333 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2970 on: February 05, 2024, 03:11:19 PM »
I got tangled up on my first attempt at a 5050 in the bowl, and smashed my knee pretty hard.

Pads are rad when you're not a kid anymore, esp. on transition. Hope it's not too bad, and that you heal-up quick.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #2971 on: February 05, 2024, 03:30:20 PM »
Hadn't skated for 6 months. 48 years old. It was not pretty. Takes so long to get my body to work.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2972 on: February 05, 2024, 03:38:22 PM »
Hadn't skated for 6 months. 48 years old. It was not pretty. Takes so long to get my body to work.

Yeah if I take a week off I’m starting from scratch.

Been doing heaps of yoga and planks but haven’t skated in 2 months. Might try this week and see what nightmare awaits

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2973 on: February 05, 2024, 03:43:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I got tangled up on my first attempt at a 5050 in the bowl, and smashed my knee pretty hard.
[close]

Pads are rad when you're not a kid anymore, esp. on transition. Hope it's not too bad, and that you heal-up quick.

Yeah - thinking about how much I want to skate the bowl and some of the curvier awkward transition around the park, I think I'll invest in some pads now.

Fishhb

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2974 on: February 05, 2024, 04:23:31 PM »
38 here and messed my foot up a few years ago and I can’t flip anymore and my pop sucks now, so in the last year I started skating transition and it’s really opened up a whole new world for me I suck but I’m really enjoying it and it brought the joy of rolling back!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2975 on: February 05, 2024, 04:37:09 PM »
i'm ancient and weak in the knees, feel me? but i been skating a different set up and decided to take the old set up, the loosey goosey thing out and upon picking it up sed "fuhk this is crazy lighter. wut da fuhk is going on. new set up has 54s, phresh aces, and is a 1/4 narrower..." could grinding to axle on both trux have made such a difference when the other set up had 56s and is a 1/4 wider? HAH no. hollow trux my dudes, hollow trux made it quite lighter. if you're weak in the knees like you were at that high school dance, get some hollows.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2976 on: February 06, 2024, 06:34:04 AM »
Speaking of weak in the knees. I was off the bike for a bit due to crappy weather and laziness but have been riding again. Really seems to help with skateboarding endurance and pop for me...

If you have the luxury get your arse on the bike. I bike to work and find reasons to do errands for work on the bike most days and then will bang out a longer ride once a week or so.

Just have to stretch, as cycling can really tighten thing sup.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2977 on: February 06, 2024, 09:57:11 AM »
Speaking of weak in the knees. I was off the bike for a bit due to crappy weather and laziness but have been riding again. Really seems to help with skateboarding endurance and pop for me...

If you have the luxury get your arse on the bike. I bike to work and find reasons to do errands for work on the bike most days and then will bang out a longer ride once a week or so.

Every. Word. Of. This.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #2978 on: February 06, 2024, 10:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Every. Word. Of. This.

Agree as well. But as we get older we apparently also need to do some more workout. I am biking 20 km a day during the week and still developed some knee issue that kept me from skating. Turned out the femural muscles on the backside were not strong enough anymore despite regular biking, stretching,  and last but not least, skating. So do your squats y'all.

blizblaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2979 on: February 08, 2024, 03:26:12 PM »
i've been doing relatively light sets of box squats and it has helped a lot with the knees i think. i'm talking over a period of months. just patiently doing nice and easy box squats. it's cold out so i've been doing a lot of jiu jitsu and it helps with that too.

Fishhb

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2980 on: February 08, 2024, 03:38:04 PM »
Stretching is mandatory at our age now

Buttworm

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2981 on: February 08, 2024, 03:46:07 PM »
Having a genuine interest in something else creative is actually really helpful I find. Making the time to have fun and pursue something else you enjoy made me appreciate rolling around on a wooden toy more than ever

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2982 on: February 08, 2024, 06:09:22 PM »
Stretching is mandatory at our age now
💯

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2983 on: February 08, 2024, 07:49:20 PM »
51... the ollie up was the hardest part. i really need to spend more time olling at the park and less time on my transition gotos. last time i went to the park i saw some older guys snap over this thing off flat  :(

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
  • sup dog
« Reply #2984 on: February 08, 2024, 09:32:34 PM »
51... the ollie up was the hardest part. i really need to spend more time olling at the park and less time on my transition gotos. last time i went to the park i saw some older guys snap over this thing off flat  :(

What’s up, Austin. I’ll be looking out for yah.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2985 on: February 08, 2024, 10:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lizard is the best spot in that general area, IMHO.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #2986 on: February 09, 2024, 02:45:26 AM »

Doing that ollie and taking the impact at 51 is insane. Congrats to you, hope I will be there in 10 years from now. 

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2987 on: February 09, 2024, 02:55:34 AM »

hella nice. My knees would give with that height. I'm jealous

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2988 on: February 09, 2024, 04:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hella nice. My knees would give with that height. I'm jealous

oh same! the last time I tried to get a somewhat big ollie, I pulled a muscle in my calf. Hurt like a bitch! You're making me want to try again though....  :-X instead of staying in my transition safe space

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #2989 on: February 09, 2024, 06:44:36 AM »
appreciate the kind words. definitely encourage keeping ollies going as long as possible. just one of the funnest things you can do is pop a solid ollie.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

---
[close]
[close]

Lizard is the best spot in that general area, IMHO.

i need to check it out. that slappy curb and whole setup looks fun. i used to skate ez7 a lot in houston back in the day which was super fun.

my only ez 7 clip

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2990 on: February 09, 2024, 07:36:48 AM »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #2991 on: February 09, 2024, 07:49:56 AM »
Whoops made public. Can’t believe that was 16 years ago.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2992 on: February 10, 2024, 06:49:25 PM »
Did my first real slap back smith(ie ground more than 3’) trying to dodge a kid that bailed in front of me. No idea how I got into it and held it for 8’. Tried a few times after that but no love. Must’ve come in at a different angle or hit it weighted differently. Wish I knew wtf I did. Oldheimers sucks.

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2993 on: February 11, 2024, 12:46:32 AM »
I can't get any flips back. I think my shoulders are hunchy from decades of desk work. Also about 10kg heavier than I used to be.

Anyone tried to learn kickflips after years away?

I can't seem to get the flick at all, and my back foot is all over the shop.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2994 on: February 11, 2024, 06:34:46 AM »
I can't get any flips back. I think my shoulders are hunchy from decades of desk work. Also about 10kg heavier than I used to be.

For 30 years I keep putting my front foot down. I have nice flick and it’s pretty quick. I landed a few 30 years ago and I don’t know why I do it. My friend was pushing me to commit to landing and I came down hard on my hip & have had hip pain since. This was end of September and I was skating a lot.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #2995 on: February 11, 2024, 06:55:39 AM »
Did my first real slap back smith(ie ground more than 3’) trying to dodge a kid that bailed in front of me. No idea how I got into it and held it for 8’. Tried a few times after that but no love. Must’ve come in at a different angle or hit it weighted differently. Wish I knew wtf I did. Oldheimers sucks.

My guess is you did it because the kid got in front of you. Stuff like that happens to me from time to time. I think it’s because it’s breaks the cycle of trying the trick over and over and shifts your attention for a split second, then you’re not thinking about the trick.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2996 on: February 11, 2024, 08:09:14 AM »

Find a bar or countertop height something to hold onto that you can lift yourself up, and pop-flick-hold yourself up-wait-land both feet on the board.

Do that a lot so you get the feeling of both feet on again…

…and then just fucking go for it. Try a real flip and put every bit of youthful bravery you have left in you to landing on that fucking thing.

Hope that helps. You just gotta commit.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2997 on: February 11, 2024, 08:23:49 AM »
☝🏽 thanks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #2998 on: February 11, 2024, 10:07:33 AM »
i kickflipped when I was 15 and didn't do another until I was 35....and I skated the whole time.....lots. 

keep your shoulders square and just jump.  I think the trick naturally flips, we spend too much time in our head over it.... I put my flipping foot close to the edge or point it like a 12 year old. 

Don't get stuck in the vortex of opening your shoulders, flipping with your front foot and then planting it on the ground wondering why you can't do it.....

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2999 on: February 11, 2024, 10:36:34 AM »
i kickflipped when I was 15 and didn't do another until I was 35....and I skated the whole time.....lots. 

keep your shoulders square and just jump.  I think the trick naturally flips, we spend too much time in our head over it.... I put my flipping foot close to the edge or point it like a 12 year old. 

Don't get stuck in the vortex of opening your shoulders, flipping with your front foot and then planting it on the ground wondering why you can't do it.....
I’m stuck in that vortex. Do you have suggestions to get over it. I try not to open my shoulder as I used to.