Author Topic: Black/Death/Speed Metal In Skateboarding Culture  (Read 13018 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Black/Death/Speed Metal In Skateboarding Culture
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »
I've always found it weird that extreme forms of metal such as black metal, death metal, speed metal, and even some of the more intense thrash metal haven't really seemed to be ingrained in the history of skateboarding the way other music has. There's obviously countless instances of hardcore punk like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, etc being an important part of skate culture, and obviously Metallica and Slayer got lots of love from skateboarders over the years, but I'm surprised you don't see more severe metal as part of our history.

The first wave of black metal was started with Bathory's first album came out the same year as the Bones Brigade Video Show in 84. The first recognized death metal album, Seven Churches by Possessed came out a year later. Slayer's Show No Mercy, which was the most extreme album ever made at the time was 83, Venom's first two albums (which many recognize as the foundation of black, death, thrash, and speed metal) were 81 and 82. So really the genre developed simultaneously to skateboarding as we know it, and it would stand to reason that some skaters out there would have been bold enough to be listening to some gnarly shit. Yet, I've never really seen any documented evidence of it. No Bathory, Kreator, Sodom, Sepultura, Possesed, or Death shirts. Not to mention a complete absence of almost all types of extreme metal from early videos. Even Slayer wasn't used in videos until sometime in the mid 90s perhaps?

Anyone remember or have any documentation of any skaters rocking extreme metal in it's heyday? Should be an interesting conversation. Feel free to talk about people using it nowadays but please avoid obvious bullshit like "Erik Ellington skated to Slayer in Misled Youth", "BAKU uses black metal", or referencing bullshit music like Dragonforce or Children Of Bodom. That shit is fucking garbage. I'm talking strictly old school here.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
Re: Black/Death/Speed Metal In Skateboarding Culture
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
I've noticed this same phenomenon and it puzzles me as well.  I'm sure that the Creature guys are at least aware black metal based on their Norway tour a few years back and their collaboration with Peter Beste, but how deep that knowledge is is unknown.  Other than that, there seems to be sporadic nods to the genres:  TNT wore the King Diamond facepaint in a few photos and Thrasher had an interview with Nocturno Culto.  But even then--they asked Nocturno Culto how he feels about people coming to sessions and blasting Darkthrone as a mainstay and I thought that I have never heard anyone mention that or even acknowledge Darkthrone's existence (and bands like them).  And honestly--this absence really annoys me, especially when you have Flip marketing him as the Satanic heavy metal guy and the heaviest/angriest/most extreme band he can name is Motorhead.

So in conclusion, I have no idea but at least you're not the only person who has noticed this and been bothered by it.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
 ::)
 :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpPn5XqmTWk

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
i've noticed this too.  i grew up a metalhead, before i was into skating and punk, so it was definitely something i noticed when i first got into skating.  you'll hear an occasional black metal or death metal track but i feel like it's usually tongue-in-cheek.

the first thing (and only thing) that came to mind was this Thrasher "Swamp Troggs" article and the picture of Jesse Driggs wearing a Morbid Angel t-shirt

think i remember seeing him in a Venom shirt in some pic as well.  early 90's not really the heyday of skateboarding, but whatever.

It always bothered me that people loved Slayer but never tried listening to any other type of extreme metal. 

this is an cool topic... would be interesting to see if anything comes up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:23:18 PM by bea! »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »
Sam Hitz/Creature are the first things that come to mind for this stuff.

Dystopia is certainly more on the hardcore end of the spectrum but I feel like this Peter Hewitt part is relevant.

I was introduced to Venom through the 1984 video Let It Bleed.

There's more current-ish instances I can't think of, but yeah, I never hear of the heyday connections.

dillanharp

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
Bathory was used for a brief 34 seconds at the beginning of this, it's from Blood Fire Death though, so it's all viking...

I blame the internet.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
i'm wracking my brain and i can't think of anything before the mid/late 90's...

still, this got me pumped when i saw it

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
Yeah was going to mention a few more recent instances, but my first post was long enough. Also bummed I didn't mention Hellhammer/Celtic Frost. I feel if we were gonna see any band shirt out there, Celtic Frost would have been the one.

Fos is a fan of black metal and has used some in his videos for Heroin and Landscape. Agree about Dystopia getting used, definitely outside of what you hear most skaters listening to. Antihero also used My Meds Aren't Working from Dystopia in the first Beauty And The Beast. But still that stuff is quite a bit newer than the stuff I was talking about. Antihero also used Freezing Moon by Mayhem in the third Beauty And The Beast.

Funny thing about the Black Metal video by creature, there's only 3 songs on the soundtrack that would be considered black metal (4 if you consider Mercyful Fate black metal rather than I suppose "proto-black metal"), and 2 of those songs were from when the band wasn't even that relevant (ie. poor choices.)

I find that with most of the genre used. They may use good bands, but will usually pick songs from their shit period. But in general I feel most people who claim to like black metal have very limited knowledge/poor taste in it. Thinking Norwegian second wave is the only thing that exists.

Explains why there's TONS of skate brands out there who don't know shit about black metal but want to rip off a Darkthrone logo. (Not a diss to Darkthrone. Early Darkthrone is sick.)

Shout outs to Oyolar and Bea and Nallid for knowing their shit. Nallid, just so you know Blood Fire Death totally counts, anything after that by Bathory not so much. Also using Mercyful Fate's first song for the intro is sick. I think I saw a thing once that Ethan Fowler was into black metal and making some of his own, but whether he was down back in the day, I don't know.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
NICE THREAD BUT YOU SOUND LIKE A FAGGOT WATSON

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
I am a faggot.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
It is weird to think that there has never really been a full on metal-head pro before? at least before 2000... not a fake one like David Gonzales by the way.

all the other muscial sub-genres/cliques have been covered but never a metalhead?  weird

Madeleine McCann

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BLACK METAL WATSON

Madeleine McCann

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
GO SUCK A MOOSE DICK FAGGOT HAHAHAHA

band

• Rep: 4
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
cause metalheads are too col for sk8ing

gay pride - proud to be gay

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

Explains why there's TONS of skate brands out there who don't know shit about black metal but want to rip off a Darkthrone logo. (Not a diss to Darkthrone. Early Darkthrone is sick.)

i used to think this but i actually grew to really love the later-period Darkthrone.  still think Panzerfaust is the best album

Mercyful Fate obviously aren't black/death/speed metal but since they've been brought up a few times:

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
Quit trolling Madeleine. I know my fuckin shit. Love Vulcano. That bestial black thrash coming out of Brazil is some of my favourite shit. Sepultura, Sarcofago, Sextrash, Mutilator, Psychic Possessor,  Holocausto, Attomica, Expulser, Dorsal Atlantica, all that shit.

If you like Vulcano and think other people don't know shit about black metal, we'd probably have some great beer fueled conversations.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i used to think this but i actually grew to really love the later-period Darkthrone.  still think Panzerfaust is the best album

Mercyful Fate obviously aren't black/death/speed metal but since they've been brought up a few times:

Yeah, Panzerfaust is amazing. Definitely one of their best. And their last good album I would say.

I think Mercyful Fate definitely counts in there. Obviously a huge influence on all those genres. That first EP was fucking wild for when it came out. That Coco Santiago section must be one of the earliest uses of gnarly metal. But still 11 years after the album dropped.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
I feel like maybe some of the aversion to black metal is the extreme ideology of it (at least the second wave).  Like, hardcore punk has a more relatable "shit sucks, cops suck, fuck you" type of ideology (I know that I'm generalizing) whereas black metal is super nihilistic and/or misanthropic.  Not necessarily the most fun people to be around.

Now why more first wave bands and black thrash like Watson said I have no real explanation for.  Maybe people just don't want to do the work of listening to those guys.  Well-done extreme metal is an acquired taste.  And even if you just instinctually like what you hear, you still have to learn how to process it all and stuff.  That probably has something to do with it.  And I'm sure that lo-fi, raw black metal doesn't translate too well to film and parts, especially early skate videos.  So maybe that explains its absence from video parts, but you would still think that people would mention liking it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:07 AM »
best thread in a while.  thanks watson.  while I am much more partial to the stoner/doom genre, I have always wondered the exact same things mentioned in the OG post.  I think most of the people at the helm of choosing music for vids (be it skater/filmer, etc) aren't into the black metal genre enough to go beyond the comfort zone.  it really does take some time to process and explore the genre.  I'll admit I haven't delved as deep as I would like...probably for those same reasons.  but the metal music thread is one of my favorites primarily because it serves as a guide for stuff to check out. 

Ethan Fowler skating to Electric Wizard is one of my favorite combos (although Ethan to Syd is the best ever)...although, again, more stoner and less black.

and this...
Maybe people just don't want to do the work of listening to those guys.  Well-done extreme metal is an acquired taste.  And even if you just instinctually like what you hear, you still have to learn how to process it all and stuff. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Madeleine McCann

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »
IM SENDING A BOMB TO YOUR SHITTY DISTRO FAGGOT

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
HEY LOOK IM BACK FROM THE BAN WATSON
YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR BACK HOMO

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
True to Oyolar's quote. Even when I got into black metal it was quite unpalatable to me at first, and it does take dedication to figure out the real shit from the garbage that posers everywhere know. And I agree that a lot of the lack of usage of it is because it may not fit into the video (especially in the mid/late 80s), but I'm still confused as to the seeming total lack of the genre in the history of skateboarding. You think somewhere you would have seen some pro skater rocking a Bathory shirt in the 80s or something like that, you know?

Hate, I feel like Canada has always been into metal. Lots of underground revered metal bands that never made it anywhere. Even spawned Darkthrone to make a terrible song called Canadian Metal in their later years hahah. Haslam however, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. In my limited experience and from others I know, he's the nicest dude I know, but he's a total metal poser with epic power metal and all that shit. Concrete mag was running a series of profiles of all the BA.KU members for awhile and when they got to Haslam, HE WAS WEARING A BLACK LABEL SOCIETY PATCH ON HIS VEST!!! Seriously pissed me off so much and made me briefly disillusioned with BA.KU. But I know the dude who is Deer Man is definitely legit and knows his shit. But still, BLS? Fuck that.

Madeleine and Brix, feel free to bomb me you total badasses. I have no idea what ban you're talking about. Perhaps it has to do with your extreme hatred towards homosexuals?

Burzum's early stuff is amazing.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
GROW A PAIR OF BALLS MOTHERFUCKER

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
Canada has always had some serious, bloodthirsty metal going on.  From Voivod to Razor to the almighty Slaughter 'Strappado' (one of my favorite albums ever), and the whole Blasphemy/Conquerer/Revenge crew.  Might be their greatest contribution to modern culture!

dustbastard

• Rep: -2
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
Speed wheels risk it from 1990 has some pretty rad songs in it along with some pretty terrible ones. But that was the first video i saw that really had tunes like that and is baisically the reason i listen to a lot now. Long live canadian metal

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
I feel like maybe some of the aversion to black metal is the extreme ideology of it (at least the second wave).  Like, hardcore punk has a more relatable "shit sucks, cops suck, fuck you" type of ideology (I know that I'm generalizing) whereas black metal is super nihilistic and/or misanthropic.  Not necessarily the most fun people to be around.

Now why more first wave bands and black thrash like Watson said I have no real explanation for.  Maybe people just don't want to do the work of listening to those guys.  Well-done extreme metal is an acquired taste.  And even if you just instinctually like what you hear, you still have to learn how to process it all and stuff.  That probably has something to do with it.  And I'm sure that lo-fi, raw black metal doesn't translate too well to film and parts, especially early skate videos.  So maybe that explains its absence from video parts, but you would still think that people would mention liking it.

Agreed. I feel like a d-beat works a lot better to push fast and pump bowls with, while constant, ambient blast beats are a bit repetitive to put to a video part. Even hardcore is a bit much sometimes for a video part. I listen to a lot of hardcore but I'm not sure I'd use an Infest song or something if I ever made a part.

Ethan Fowler skating to Electric Wizard is one of my favorite combos (although Ethan to Syd is the best ever)...although, again, more stoner and less black.

I think stoner metal/rock has gotten to be as much of a staple to current videos as instrumental beats were in the late 90s/early 2000s. Not complaining.

Haslam however, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. In my limited experience and from others I know, he's the nicest dude I know, but he's a total metal poser with epic power metal and all that shit. Concrete mag was running a series of profiles of all the BA.KU members for awhile and when they got to Haslam, HE WAS WEARING A BLACK LABEL SOCIETY PATCH ON HIS VEST!!!

He's mentioned in multiple interviews his love of current In Flames too.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »
I think the darkest I ever really get is Black Dahlia Murder (original lineup)...they have just enough "riffs" to provide some breathing room.  But they do have "solos" sometimes.  Are they considered "legit" in the metal world?  Hard to know for a metal genre interloper such as myself.  Anyways, the difficulty with metal in parts is you have just the right skater and style of skating...or else, yeah, it becomes a bit too 'tongue in cheek'.  It's hard to find someone who can skate with the right amount of intensity and at gnarly enough spots to make it work for a part.

Now, as far as skating an indoor mini ramp...the only soundtrack should be metal.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
Maybe if we can't find any classic photos of skaters in metal shirts, we should change it to metal dudes with skateboards thread?

Tom G Warrior on a freestyle board from Celtic Frost/Voivod's 1986 Running Wild Tour:

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
I'm pretty indifferent to BDM as I don't really listen to them (or melodic death metal) but I know a bunch of dudes who don't care for them because they're sort of a Carcass/At The Gates cover band.

good intel