Author Topic: Black/Death/Speed Metal In Skateboarding Culture  (Read 13017 times)

Life Fast Johnny

Re: Black/Death/Speed Metal In Skateboarding Culture
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
Besides Slayer, Iron Maiden is another one that has been done to death.

_aminal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
I'm pretty indifferent to BDM ? they're sort of a Carcass/At The Gates cover band.

well put. i like unhallowed and thats about it.
i know that there is a skate following of the heavier genres, but not typically do i find a skater that is really into metal as much as he is into skating, and if said skater was into metal as much as skating, they are likely to be a bowl troll or general tranny shredder.

its cool having like some stoner metal song in a part or whatever but sometimes?. meh. I'm not complaining and i know that its much easier to edit to and doesn't sound as loud and messy as someone skating to obituary.

also; i like my misanthropic music. fuck people.
would i want to watch someones part to a noothgrush jam? hell no.
do i like to listen to the shit when I'm skating? yes.

lmao @haslam not being an actual metal head. he seems too hippy dippy to really be into metal anyway.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2239
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I think we're all getting too hung up on the particulars of using extreme metal in a skate section, and who has, and why haven't people? I'm talking more so the crossover of that type of music into skateboarding, and any evidence of it at all. T-shirts in photos, quotes in interviews, etc.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
Maybe if we can't find any classic photos of skaters in metal shirts, we should change it to metal dudes with skateboards thread?

proving to myself that my memory still works in my old age, this picture.

Benediction (Subconscious Terror is a great album)

i'd like to add i'm completely burned on the whole stoner rock thing as well... however if we're talking Noothgrush i would love to hear that shit.  less stoner, more sludge!

i think if any death metal band would fit a skate part it would be obituary, since they're a little slower/sludgier than most.  i don't know if the hyper fast/blast beat really coincides with a skate part, especially these days when the song has to match the editing/trick selection/color scheme/etc...

the first Big Brother video used a Napalm Death track. 

seriously all these evil/metal-head pros need to learn their shit. posers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:15:38 PM by bea! »

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
I think we're all getting too hung up on the particulars of using extreme metal in a skate section, and who has, and why haven't people? I'm talking more so the crossover of that type of music into skateboarding, and any evidence of it at all. T-shirts in photos, quotes in interviews, etc.

While I can speak to Hardcore (also mentioned in this thread) more than metal, it may be because those types of musical subcultures require so much time and effort to participate in.  You really have to seek that stuff out and in the time spent doing so, are not going to be skating.  Almost every HC kid I've ever known skated at some point or another, a scant few of them maybe got boxes and none were ever close to pro.  The very few people I've known who were Am status or really good skaters, were like Westgate in that they sort of knew what music they liked, but spent almost no time or passion pursuing it.

DJSoftspot

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »
I'd love to see Ronson Lambert skate to some noothgrush or some other slow shit

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
HATE!

It had been a few years since I had heard Noothgrush so this is like unreal level gnarly.  It's so raw but those riffs are so heavy.

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While I can speak to Hardcore (also mentioned in this thread) more than metal, it may be because those types of musical subcultures require so much time and effort to participate in.  You really have to seek that stuff out and in the time spent doing so, are not going to be skating.  Almost every HC kid I've ever known skated at some point or another, a scant few of them maybe got boxes and none were ever close to pro.  The very few people I've known who were Am status or really good skaters, were like Westgate in that they sort of knew what music they liked, but spent almost no time or passion pursuing it.

I think this is really accurate. Also, on a more ideological level, black metal, and to some extent death metal (mostly where it intersects with black metal), represent a certain "purity". For someone into metal as a lifestyle and ideological commitment, I think taking on skateboarding as anything other than a sort of hobby on the side is seen as a disruption of that purity, if that makes sense. I listen to and actively seek out obscure metal and feel a certain level of commitment to it. I also skate religiously, but those two spheres of my life do not intersect much.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:52:49 AM by SkateViolence »

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
fuck yeah noothgrush>coffins any day.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

Yu Dum

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
Holy fuck. How have I never heard of Noothgrush?

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
What about Jef Whitehead? Leviathan is definitely not old-school, or first/second wave of BM, but still he skates/used to and had a thrasher cover.

Yu Dum

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Holy fuck. How have I never heard of Noothgrush?
[close]

I have a feeling your day was just turned upside down.
You are correct.
New favourite band.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
What about Jef Whitehead? Leviathan is definitely not old-school, or first/second wave of BM, but still he skates/used to and had a thrasher cover.

Good call.  I mean he even designed the Thunder Grenade logo.  I never really knew how involved in the industry he was until the Vice piece.

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
Yep, great tattooer also. Thanks for pointing that out.
Definitely more into Lurker of Chalice than Leviathan, or at least latest leviathan like true traitor, true whore.
With leviathan releases, sometimes I'm amazed, sometimes I'm not into it at all. You never know. But you've got to respect his path/influence on USBM.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »
Definitely more into Lurker of Chalice than Leviathan

Agree'd. I really like that loc record, haven't heard the early demos though.

And maybe I'm wrong, but I think someone skated to a Disembowelment track?
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Speaking of Jef's artwork, Heavy Clothing just announced a collab with him on a new shirt. 

http://web.stagram.com/p/599374786576166294_34518242

I already have a TON of Heavy shirts, but I'm gonna need this one too.