Author Topic: Voting for Thrasher SOTY  (Read 6040 times)

Patey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Voting for Thrasher SOTY
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
Re: Voting for Thrasher SOTY
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »
Wow that sucks, off of these im still going with Tommy for the underdog win, but Westgate seems like the overall favorite everywhere so im sure hes go it.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
voted for nyjah, but would be happy with almost anybody.

tommy sandoval is by no means out of the spotlight but I think he still gets way less credit than he deserves.  He doesn't just take ollies and kickflip and 50-50s and shit big, he can take any trick big and make it look cool

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
Voted for Burman this time, but hoping that Suciu puts out such a gnarly part that Phelps will just not give a fuck about the votes and gives it to him. I still believe that Phelps decides the soty, and the voting is just to give some perspective on the public opinion. Readers choice awards are lame as fuck. No excitement in them.

ohtight

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
last year vs this year

figgy = westgate
mariano = ishod
gonzalez = nyjah

like figgy was the underdog that was gnarly but didnt have a real chance and mariano was the obvious choice because he's just the best and gonzalez was just no brains insane changing skateboarding. that's what i'm thinking. hope that makes some sense. 
zzz

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
Tommy Gunz could be a surprise win this year for a lot of people
fuck you bama

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
Voting?
Since when is SOTY a democracy?
Pretty sure it's Jake Phelps call and all the votes in the world aint gonna make a difference.

Anyway, hope Ishod gets it if not Westgate would be awesome.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
last year i would say nobody really deserved SOTY, they just had to pick someone and it was david but this year westgate is the clearest answer, giving it to anybody else would be dumb. as great as ishods stuff is westgate has been innovatively tearing new assholes consistently for the last few years and this years part was just as killer.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
last year vs this year

figgy = westgate
mariano = ishod
gonzalez = nyjah

like figgy was the underdog that was gnarly but didnt have a real chance and mariano was the obvious choice because he's just the best and gonzalez was just no brains insane changing skateboarding. that's what i'm thinking. hope that makes some sense. 

i hope you're wrong and ishod nails it.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
Nyjah probably paid Phelps a few bucks already. I don't think this is an honest race, I hope I'm wrong and Ishod gets it.

jimi420

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »
Suciu deserves it over Burman just for the constant stream of video parts he put out. I think even Greco deserves it over Burman but there's no way he'll actually get the trophy. If it's voting based I feel like Westgate or Ishod will win because despite the fact that Nyjah has killed it these past 2 years people are becoming kind of jaded against him. But Nyjah's been riding Phelp's dick pretty hard so that could be the determining factor.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
This will be the most "slap" comment I've ever made, but I've had 4 cups of coffee and am bored at work.

"You can't be the best baseball player if all you do is pitch. You might be the best pitcher, but that doesn't make you the best baseball player. ". I'm paraphrasing that quite a bit, but all the same.

For me skate of the year means who killed everything. Not just one type of something. If there was a "best handrail skater", Nyah would be a shoe in. But honestly, his looks uncomfortable pushing sometimes. The years best skateboarder can't push very well? He chops handrails better than anyone else, but that's not "the best skateboarder".

Ishod and Westgate crushed everything. Rails, ledges, banks, tranny, whatever. To me, that's the best "skateboarder". Someone who skates anything.

I'll also say SOTY seemed to be a lot cooler when it was just an honor, not a competition. No one used to try to win. It was just a thumbs up. Now it's just another contest for people to take too seriously.

Edit: before anyone says "hey he skated those couple ledges and a manual pad", just stop. Nyjah is a handrail skater.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:51:01 PM by via »

jealousagain

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »
This will be the most "slap" comment I've ever made, but I've had 4 cups of coffee and am bored at work.

"You can't be the best baseball player if all you do is pitch. You might be the best pitcher, but that doesn't make you the best baseball player. ". I'm paraphrasing that quite a bit, but all the same.

For me skate of the year means who killed everything. Not just one type of something. If there was a "best handrail skater", Nyah would be a shoe in. But honestly, his looks uncomfortable pushing sometimes. The years best skateboarder can't push very well? He chops handrails better than anyone else, but that's not "the best skateboarder".

Ishod and Westgate crushed everything. Rails, ledges, banks, tranny, whatever. To me, that's the best "skateboarder". Someone who skates anything.

I'll also say SOTY seemed to be a lot cooler when it was just an honor, not a competition. No one used to try to win. It was just a thumbs up. Now it's just another contest for people to take too seriously.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
i voted for Westgate, he really deserves it

Ian Dziallo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
I voted for Westgate.  In my opinion he consistently was ripping, and skated a variety of terrain. Not saying that other people weren't ripping, but I think he is the best choice for SOTY.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »

Edit: before anyone says "hey he skated those couple ledges and a manual pad", just stop. Nyjah is a handrail skater.

I would have liked to see collin get it for this exact point. he actually does skate everything and he skates it like its nothing for him

Slappy_Happy

• Rep: -11
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
if westgate doesn't get it I'm gonna be super bummed.  His MADE part was groundbreaking and he is the most talented and gnarly out there.  His pop is unreal.  He deserves it more than anyone.  
the evidence seems to be in the highwaters.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
if westgate doesn't get it I'm gonna be super bummed.  His MADE part was groundbreaking and he is the most talented and gnarly out there.  His pop is unreal.  He deserves it more than anyone.  

I have to agree. Westgate's part impacted me more as a more solid and epic part. Matter a fact, the Emerica video should take the cake for video of the year.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Estoowhit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »

Quoting Enem?

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:14 PM »

Unfortunately none of this matters, as seen with David Gonzalez.

Glassface

• Rep: 2
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
i voted for Westgate, he really deserves it

decoi 1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
If there ever was a year to split it this would be it but Westgate got my final vote. Of all the heavy parts this year, his was the best. Ishod killed it too. Hes here to stay. Nyjah is gnarly. It just seems too forced. Like hey look I what I can do, I deserve to win. Cant blame the kid for skating to his ability though. Just wish he'd be more humble in his approach maybe. But when it all comes down to it are you more pumped to see someone getting to the bottom of a gnarly rail or set or see someone destroy everything in their path and push through the streets? Ill take the latter. Wesgate SOTY

barrett

• Rep: -1
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »

6 pac

• Rep: -5
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
sucks so hard, the habitat video with the suciu part hasnt even dropped and hes already out.
as gnarly as burman was i hope its ishod, i mean he had more footage than all those dudes together

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 11:37:09 PM »
Voting?
Since when is SOTY a democracy?
Pretty sure it's Jake Phelps call and all the votes in the world aint gonna make a difference.

Anyway, hope Ishod gets it if not Westgate would be awesome.
not even the 50 thrasher shirts that nyjah skated in isn't going change shit. its Phelps and Burnett call

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
Ishod Wair

Sponsors: Real, Nike SB, Thunder, Spitfire, Fourstar, Stance, Monster, Diamond, Shake Junt, Bones Swiss

Is that correct?
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Votes don't count, it's all up to Phelps. If you ask me the winner if the popular vote is actually at a disadvantage 'cause that how Phelps rolls. You want this but I give you this.