Author Topic: are there such things as front overcrooks  (Read 14290 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: are there such things as front overcrooks
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
It is not called a frontside overcrook because that name depreciates the difficulty of the trick, as the lock-in, which is essentially that of a backside crooked grind, is considerably easy. Instead it is called a fs nosegrind so that it is more distanced from the easier backside crooked grind.

On the flip side, calling a bs overcrook a bs nose grind undervalues the fact that it is locked in the same way as a frontside crooked grind, which is a notoriously difficult trick to lock into and balance.

It is the same reason noseblunts are called noseblunts, and not alley-oop noseslides. The logically inconsistent names serve to either mask the easiness or emphasize the difficulty of the more fundamental tricks that constitute fs nose grinds and bs over crooks.

This is how I see it, at least.
I was going to say essentially the same thing. A frontside overcrook gets called a nosegrind because there is nothing special or difficult about lapping your board up at an angle frontside. Nobody in the entire world can nosegrind, but not "frontside overcrook," because they are similar enough and easy enough to make it sound the same. If you say "I can do frontside nosegrinds and frontside overcrooks" you will sound like an asshole. When I was a kid, "frontside overcrooks" were called snowplow nosegrinds and they were looked down upon on any kind of obstacle but a rail. To me, its like calling a mob kickflip a different trick than a proper flicked one. They both are essentially the same thing, one is just sloppy.
GERSH grinds actually take a different kind of skill, you are turning your body backwards, so you are suddenly going blind toward your landing, and the balance point is a bit more tricky to find.

People who think bs overcrooks exist but not frontside ones are like republicans. Most of them are old and from a different era, and their archaic values will eventually dissipate.
Interesting. We are also the people who skated before the x-games, THPS, the life of Ryan, jackass and street league were around. When we are gone, you are right, there will just be a bunch of lame kids that learned about skating from a fuckin' video game. The rebel/underground element (no pun intended) will be gone, and we will be left with kids who refer back to thps for trick names. Can't wait until "rowley darkslide" is a term
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
People who think bs overcrooks exist but not frontside ones are like republicans. Most of them are old and from a different era, and their archaic values will eventually dissipate.
[close]
Interesting. We are also the people who skated before the x-games, THPS, the life of Ryan, jackass and street league were around. When we are gone, you are right, there will just be a bunch of lame kids that learned about skating from a fuckin' video game. The rebel/underground element (no pun intended) will be gone, and we will be left with kids who refer back to thps for trick names. Can't wait until "rowley darkslide" is a term

:-\ i thought it was funny...

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
i reckon you can call them whatever you like

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »
There's no such thing as an overcrook, frontside or backside. They're just nosegrinds.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
I get negative rep for making a valid argument...ok there is no such thing as a fs overcrook. Equally so, there is no such thing as a bs overcrook, fs or bs crooked grinds, and salads and suskis are just five-0's.  Or you can call it a different name because it looks different as a way to distinguish it. Koston does a kf overcrook in Yeah Right!  Watch it, completely over the rail to the other side. So I say call it a different name. Or don't. Who gives a fuck. Call it a justin eldridge or a Dressen five-0 or a fakie big heel or a rick flip or what ever the fuck you want. /end thread.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
i reckon you can call them whatever you like

No, that makes too much sense, we must continue arguing like fucking idiots about this.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote
It is not called a frontside overcrook because that name depreciates the difficulty of the trick, as the lock-in, which is essentially that of a backside crooked grind, is considerably easy. Instead it is called a fs nosegrind so that it is more distanced from the easier backside crooked grind.

On the flip side, calling a bs overcrook a bs nose grind undervalues the fact that it is locked in the same way as a frontside crooked grind, which is a notoriously difficult trick to lock into and balance.

It is the same reason noseblunts are called noseblunts, and not alley-oop noseslides. The logically inconsistent names serve to either mask the easiness or emphasize the difficulty of the more fundamental tricks that constitute fs nose grinds and bs over crooks.

This is how I see it, at least.
[close]
[/b]I was going to say essentially the same thing. A frontside overcrook gets called a nosegrind because there is nothing special or difficult about lapping your board up at an angle frontside. Nobody in the entire world can nosegrind, but not "frontside overcrook," because they are similar enough and easy enough to make it sound the same. If you say "I can do frontside nosegrinds and frontside overcrooks" you will sound like an asshole. When I was a kid, "frontside overcrooks" were called snowplow nosegrinds and they were looked down upon on any kind of obstacle but a rail. To me, its like calling a mob kickflip a different trick than a proper flicked one. They both are essentially the same thing, one is just sloppy.
GERSH grinds actually take a different kind of skill, you are turning your body backwards, so you are suddenly going blind toward your landing, and the balance point is a bit more tricky to find.

Expand Quote
[close]

/thread

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »
I remember in the sequence where Sean Malto does a trick that was captioned as "nollie overcrooks". I mean I wondered as I looked at the sequence, because even on a round rail, his board was very parrallel to the rail (maybe dipping a tiny bit of the tail over the rail), and saw the footy in Pretty Sweet, that just sealed it for me.

Backside nosegrinds dont exist on round rails, only overcrooks. Just like how frontside overcrooks dont exist period, so its just "nosegrind". Which on rails, if frontside, just "Nosegrind" will get the picture, whereas saying just "Overcrooks" and people understand that its backside.

Anyways,