Author Topic: BASTIEN x THRASHER PART  (Read 15803 times)

metsuri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BASTIEN x THRASHER PART
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
Bastien was batshit crazy around 2007 or something like that, when he was dropped. Smoking shitload of weed and probably some other stuff too, and just acting like an idiot. He was probably super hard to deal or communicate with.  I saw him in Prague, on Mystic cup, probably in 06, or 07, I dont really remember, maybe even more back in a day. He was probably high on cocaine or something like that, deffinitely not acting normal. Talking to his headphones, to the obstacles in the park. Then he kickflip backlipped a 13 stair rail first try, to fakie, and walked away..

He was like that all weekend. Out of his mind. When he needed a skate tool to adjust his trucks, he started asking the spectators if anyone had one and ended up jumping to the spectator stand to get it. Super awkward to everyone. And it definitely looked like he was doing lines of something, although he claims he didn't. He was definitely not ok.

That said, he skated really fucking amazing the whole contest.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
I think he might just be a kook in general, look at how he acted during BATB. He's just a weird individual. I also love the story that Nyjah told of what Bastian said to him and P-Rod warming up for a street league event.  I understand pro skateboarders are brand ambassadors, but skateboarding also needs a couple all around kooks who just kill it on the board.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
he threatened to kill a rep 
[close]

If this is true then it's the answer to all your questions.
[close]

Holy shit Bryan Wright really did have pull.
[close]
Ah ha ha ha! Where is 83money these days? Did we ever firmly establish it was Bwiann?

Not sure, but I sort of miss his troll posts.

Wheat0z

• Rep: -1
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Skateboarding needs more self props

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
epicly bastien, come on odell. would have to be one of the most interesting ones to date. this part is like the greatest mystery in skateboarding.
tom penny/ bstien free lunch

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
A professional skateboarder hyped and out of his mind. Heaven forbid! Asking the crowd for a skate tool? Oh my god! I have never heard anything like it before!

Bastien doesn't even make the top 20 list of kooks in skateboarding.

dask8d00d

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
A professional skateboarder hyped and out of his mind. Heaven forbid! Asking the crowd for a skate tool? Oh my god! I have never heard anything like it before!

Funny a lot of the guys who ARE in that top 20 list are so revered yet bastien gets black-balled from the industry

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
i don't give a fuck why they kicked him off. they should have given him the footage out of respect for his game. by holding that shit, they knowingly made the last five+ years of his life a waste and killed off his carreer with industry gossip. i would be ready to kill those motherfuckers. fuck flip. nobody that was ever on their roster could touch that kid and they couldn't handle it. period.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »
Man, The people at Flip kooked it hardcore.

Ultimate dark man shit.
Twin Perks

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Bastien was batshit crazy around 2007 or something like that, when he was dropped. Smoking shitload of weed and probably some other stuff too, and just acting like an idiot. He was probably super hard to deal or communicate with.  I saw him in Prague, on Mystic cup, probably in 06, or 07, I dont really remember, maybe even more back in a day. He was probably high on cocaine or something like that, deffinitely not acting normal. Talking to his headphones, to the obstacles in the park. Then he kickflip backlipped a 13 stair rail first try, to fakie, and walked away..
[close]
you talking about this?

Yeah man, thanks for the vid. I remembered it a little differently, but you get the idea.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1553
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
i don't give a fuck why they kicked him off. they should have given him the footage out of respect for his game. by holding that shit, they knowingly made the last five+ years of his life a waste and killed off his carreer with industry gossip. i would be ready to kill those motherfuckers. fuck flip. nobody that was ever on their roster could touch that kid and they couldn't handle it. period.

k

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
Bastian was sick, but to say a team that had Apples, Arto, PJ, Penny, Rowley and many others had no one on Bastian's level is insane.  wish they gave him his footage but lets not speak in hyperbole's.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -379
  • ants suck!
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
Expand Quote
There's always been talk about him being a huge dick so maybe that was part of it.
[close]

Thats so, so, so, so wrong. The real reason is this one:

As you all now can see, Bastien really was way ahead of his time and he skated on another level. So the flip guys took him to spots, lets say the tripple set in santa monica, and told him, bastien, just do a switch 360 flip and on another spot we want you to fakie flip it.

Bastien was not comfortable with this situation and the preasure they put on him, the sitatuion got heated up and the had one disussion after another. Since Bastien was a young, wild child from a very poor ghetto in france he could not react to this things in a appropriate way.

Now could have been the time for rowlay and arto to come out of the closet and do some real talk, but no ... as exspected, they have nothing good to say.

Thanks to Thrasher for making this one happen and thanks to Bastien for stepping on skateboard again, especially when you know, that the guys you trusted once, fuck with you so bad, that they "lose" a part like this.

werent they trying to force him to kickflip back lip el toro ?  i hear that was something they were fucking him with constantly, plus too much coke ?
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »

k

6feetdeep

• Rep: -1
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote

k
[close]

sluggers

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny a lot of the guys who ARE in that top 20 list are so revered yet bastien gets black-balled from the industry

sluggers

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Bastien deserves so much more.

It is not like he...or he...or...

(Fill in the blanks)

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rowley is as much a kook as Bastien.

pepperpotts

• Rep: -33
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
total bullshit saying that this high caliber of footage was fucking lost but its a good cover and people are gullible.. geoff rowley said in old interview that the reason they kicked him off flip was because he was smoking to much of the "purple flower" and was into guitar more than skating at the time... thus this footage was never released because he was in a flip shirt the entire time and not on the company

sluggers

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Here, I will help you all out...

It is not like he murdered his girlfriend...

It is not like he beat a gay dude to death...

It is not like he tried to bring in tons of drugs...

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
They did him raw, with no lube.

Simple.
Twin Perks

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2014, 04:13:26 PM »

k

Industy Gossip? Come on dude, Slap speculation at best. Just read all the BS in this thread alone. "I heard this... I heard that". Those dudes might have done him a favor by not saying what happened. And to say that they sat on the footage... In an interview sometime back he said he was over skating for at least a few years after the fact. I don't know, couldn't those guys of held onto the footage assuming that reconciliation would/could occur, meanwhile Bastien was a no-show for years? Just more speculation here, but to assume those guys went out of their way to F the guy over... Doesn't sound like Rowley. A skateboard company is a lot more flimsy than you might think. These dudes were friends, then they weren't. Do you air out all the happenings between you and your friends publicly?

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
The answer to all of this is Ian deacon and Jeremy Fox. Two of the biggest cunts to ever be involved with skateboarding.

MrMojoRising

• Rep: -23
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »

I really hope this part helps bastien to finally get the sponsors he derserves.

He still rips to this day:

He skates Nike SBs but I cant find out which board it is.

They're boards from his shop sponsor Bud Skate shop

http://www.budskateshop.com/

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:23:46 PM by MrMojoRising »

steam vent

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
The answer to all of this is Ian deacon and Jeremy Fox. Two of the biggest cunts to ever be involved with skateboarding.
why are they cunts ????

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
Since this whole thread is secondhand knowledge, I'll throw mine in too.

A good friend of mine lived with adelmo for a while, and somehow bastien came up in conversation.  I guess he and adelmo were close for a while. Adelmo said he was a super cool, normal dude about anything outside of skateboarding, but as soon as skating was brought up, he attitude would change into the most arrogant, spoiled brat. If anyone would bring up a trick, or a video part, or contest run... Anything that anyone else had done, bastiens response was always "I could do that easy" or "I could do something better". It was always a big competition to him. He would never let anyone else have any shine, it had to be known that he was the best. I guess him and adelmo had a small falling out because it was just too hard to deal with.

I also remember big brother clowning bastien, there was some contest article. I want to say a Copenhagen contest that caswell won, but that could be way off. Anyway, whoever it was, I guess after it was over, bastien came up to him and was like "you skate ok, but if I skate, I would win". That's in print, if anyone could dig it up.

Anyway, secondhand, but it sounds like it adds up.

Flip was definitely throwing a temper tantrum holding his footage. Pretty fucked.

Kind just sounds like bastien vs flip was a bunch of ego maniacs out egoing each other.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
Since this whole thread is secondhand knowledge, I'll throw mine in too.

A good friend of mine lived with adelmo for a while, and somehow bastien came up in conversation.  I guess he and adelmo were close for a while. Adelmo said he was a super cool, normal dude about anything outside of skateboarding, but as soon as skating was brought up, he attitude would change into the most arrogant, spoiled brat. If anyone would bring up a trick, or a video part, or contest run... Anything that anyone else had done, bastiens response was always "I could do that easy" or "I could do something better". It was always a big competition to him. He would never let anyone else have any shine, it had to be known that he was the best. I guess him and adelmo had a small falling out because it was just too hard to deal with.

I also remember big brother clowning bastien, there was some contest article. I want to say a Copenhagen contest that caswell won, but that could be way off. Anyway, whoever it was, I guess after it was over, bastien came up to him and was like "you skate ok, but if I skate, I would win". That's in print, if anyone could dig it up.

Anyway, secondhand, but it sounds like it adds up.

Flip was definitely throwing a temper tantrum holding his footage. Pretty fucked.

Kind just sounds like bastien vs flip was a bunch of ego maniacs out egoing each other.
Its good to have some crazy in skateboarding. You got Duane peters, Jim Greco, Boulala, Gonzales

Energy Turtle

• Rep: 15
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »
old bastien interview probably '03. talks about french fred choking him out
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bastien+Salabanzi%3a+the+Thrasher+interview.-a0110458893
I definitely remember Arto saying there were times where he wanted to kill Bastien. Geoff too I think. there's not just one reason he got the boot. seems like he wasn't getting along with the team, got stessed out from years of gnarly filming and just wanted to go back to europe and play guitar and enjoy skating again. there's no proof behind him doing coke or whatever. he's just naturally kind of crazy

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
the drug thing must've been an excuse for flip to use.....
clearly he never stopped ripping so the guitar and so called drugs never effected his game,

tom penny is one of the biggest drug heads in skateboarding and they dealt with him and still sell boards,
rune gets high and kisses men....so i think bastien's kick off from flip was more to do with him making them look bad, the team at the time was super gnarly with geoff, arto, apples etc but bastiens skating is like this all the time, super hi standard and consistancy which made any fellow team mate or demo'er look like a lazy pro......ive seen this in person.

MaS

• Rep: -7
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
Bastien, to me, seems like the Rasheed Wallace of skateboarding in that he's got a weirdish skill set (cab double flips, that funky crouch) and a sort of polarizing swagger that not too many other skateboarders have. Nyjah is like the Carmelo, where his tricks and style seem really contrived and thought out, whereas Bastien's just got that outlandish style and self-cheering that seems innocent.

love the basketball references.  Carmelo sucks.  In the very same way nyjah does.  Obviously a backhanded compliment.

Flip should be banished for taking this away from the dude.  Homeboy basically performed billy jean and nobody seen it.  The worst skate crime is to not give a dude his footage.

ffuuugg