Author Topic: The Skateboard Mag NEW COVER: Gilbert Crockett.....  (Read 3576 times)

TheRealDeal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Skateboard Mag NEW COVER: Gilbert Crockett.....
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
Gil could nose grind a ledge that high without a bump.

silkyjohnson

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
Yessir

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
I like everything about this cover except the greenish tint of the photo, shit looks too digital (a tired old argument that you don't hear much anymore, but that's how it strikes me.)

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
it's dumb to say that caring about spot and trick selection is a thing of the past.
[close]

Who said that?

EDIT: Also, what do ya'll think of gilbert crockett's quote when speaking on quality control of footage and skateboard "genres"?

"If you're down for everything then you're down for nothing. If you like everything, what kind of character is that? How real are you actually being? You can't like everything. People are full of shit."

In a way I feel like its true, but to dictate yourself only to a specific type of skating seems silly to me. Bruce Lee didn't believe in styles...To an extent I think its all fake; all types and styles of skating are studied and can be recreated to an extent, so I don't see how any of it is any realer than anything else. Ah shit, this is turning into some sort of conceptual art/authenticity debate in my head...
[close]

might be over thinking it, probably just saying "everybody likes some things more than others and if you pretend not too then your not being honest"
I took it more as some people will try to get a trick on any spot because they can instead of waiting to find one that speaks to or inspires them in some way. That you should consider not only the trick, but how the spot looks and to a lesser degree how you will look skating it. He's saying doing anything you can anywhere you can dilutes your brand. If your job is to have people take photo's and film what you do for a living it only seems natural that you would want to have some control over how it looks. Especially for someone with ocd tendencies like gilbert.
I don't think he's saying you should limit yourself to one specific type of skating. Just use more taste and have a unique style and look that is yours. Like an artist that has a cohesive look to all their work without it being the same.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
it's dumb to say that caring about spot and trick selection is a thing of the past.

not many people try to find spots they think are cool, they just skate what everyone else is skating. There are constantly new hot spots and every pro will go there because they know the spot is good, and they can do a hard trick on it.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »
^^^^Not true. isnt it becoming even more important now that there are so many pros and skate companies ?