Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 15507 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
The plan is to move it to a different location with a different story and cast for every season. From what I've seen.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

skateboard pillows

• Rep: 6
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
this is going to be a tough season to follow

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
I'm blown away at the level of the writing in this show. Even know Sunday's episode was a little departure from the first 4 eps, I couldn't get enough of it.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
The writer and creator of the show has said that this season was only to gain peoples' trust and that he intends on getting a lot fucking weirder for seasons to come.

Really looking forward to that. I think being an anthology style show is a good lure for top actors and directors too since they only have to commit to a single season.

foureyedjim

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
just watched the first episode, pretty good stuff
Woody is the killer, calling it

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:09 PM »
just watched the first episode, pretty good stuff
Woody is the killer, calling it
I think that there is a conspiracy going on, and it goes way up in the power chain. Cohle starts uncovering it, thus going into hiding for a while, and lurking at the crime scenes (surreptitiously following the case still). Next episode and/or the one after it will confirm or deny this, but I think that their falling out in 2002 is either orchestrated by the two of them because Hart clues into what's going on as well, or Cohle does it to push Hart away/protect him and Hart later comes to understand. It just really seems like people in power are involved in this whole Yellow King/Carcosa stuff, which is why the task force comes in out of nowhere and there's a lot of pressure for Hart and Cohle to pass off the case right as they start getting leads. I really need to read the short stories that inspired the Yellow King, see if there's any clues there.

This might all be tinfoil as fuck, but I'm so enthralled by this show and I'm having a great time playing detective along with the characters.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:41 AM »
fuck yeah this is the best tv show out hands down. cohle is the most badass motherfucker ever.

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
I think that there is a conspiracy going on, and it goes way up in the power chain...It just really seems like people in power are involved in this whole Yellow King/Carcosa stuff...

totally agree, this is what makes the series great. it reminds me of twin peaks, x-files, and other similar shows where the viewer (somewhat) quickly realizes that people in power are covering something up big.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

foureyedjim

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »

this guy looks...short

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

this guy looks...short
He looks like a bad motherfucker is what he looks like

foureyedjim

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
I guess it was the way he was sitting back (or me being high) but the guy looked strangely short haha

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
why would that matter? is there some mention of a short character or some symbolism?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I think that there is a conspiracy going on, and it goes way up in the power chain...It just really seems like people in power are involved in this whole Yellow King/Carcosa stuff...
[close]

totally agree, this is what makes the series great. it reminds me of twin peaks, x-files, and other similar shows where the viewer (somewhat) quickly realizes that people in power are covering something up big.

i agree with this... the modern day Rust is behaving as if during those years where he was off the radar, he might've gotten caught up/brainwashed/influenced by whatever they are chasing.

this show is beyond brilliant... oddly reminds me of the movie Kill List; it's got a simple narrative (cop show) mixed with some Wicker Man/occult/HP Lovecraft shit going on. 

McConoaughey should get every oscar, grammy, emmy and SOTY for this shit.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i agree with this... the modern day Rust is behaving as if during those years where he was off the radar, he might've gotten caught up/brainwashed/influenced by whatever they are chasing.

this show is beyond brilliant... oddly reminds me of the movie Kill List; it's got a simple narrative (cop show) mixed with some Wicker Man/occult/HP Lovecraft shit going on. 

McConoaughey should get every oscar, grammy, emmy and SOTY for this shit.
I've been reading a lot of articles about this (I'll update with some links a little later), apparently the yellow king/carcosa stories were a big influence on Lovecraft and a lot of other weird fiction authors, and Carcosa is directly involved in the C'thulhu mythos. I just downloaded the series of short stories that they've been pulling a lot of this Yellow King/Carcosa imagery from, I'm stoked to read it. If they go in a cosmic horror direction I would be so stoked. There are already horror elements/underpinnings, and the creator did say they're going to get a lot weirder as the series goes on...fuck I love this.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
somebody posted this on the page before but i'll repost it:
http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

never read the Yellow King, although I will now.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »
Well shit.  This is why I like to wait until a season is over and binge watch the whole thing.

foureyedjim

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
those segways...

Harem

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
I keep thinking Marty's father in law has something to do with this all.

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
jokingly thought of her saying "i want you to fuck me in the ass" and then she did
I keep thinking Marty's father in law has something to do with this all.
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
I found this and thought it was funny. Sent it to a dude at work and he starts ranting about how sick this show is. I downloaded the first 6 episodes.

HOLY.FUCK.

http://truedetectiveconversations.tumblr.com/
You loves you? Megatron.

Greg Road

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
This show rules. Thank god I found it before it finished ... and binge watching is the worst way to watch anything other than a mindless sitcom with no story. I love all the theories behind this show as well. Too bad it's over soon.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
I guess Cohle's "down payment?" joke came true for Marty..
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
Well shit.  This is why I like to wait until a season is over and binge watch the whole thing.

Its definitely a show you can't wait to see whats next, but I definitely do enjoy letting an episode sink in for a week. It really gets your mind going and builds things up.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Lots of series like this one wrap up the previous chapter of a story about halfway through an episode and build up the next twist right up until the end.  It's obviously the best strategy for maintaining viewership, but it's nice when one ends with a scene like the housing projects scene, leaving you satisfied but still interested in what is next.  The Breaking Bad formula can become a bit of a trope.  Ending the episode with the part of the story that brings the timeline of the past up to the present sort of beats you over the head with "THIS IS SUSPENSE!  STAY TUNED!!"  Boardwalk Empire finds a nice balance between satiation and intrigue between episodes.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »

+

=

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:13:35 PM by Wizard Fight »

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 01:47:37 AM »
those segways...

I'm hoping the last episode is fucking awesome, I just realized how bummed I would be if it ended shitty. I think people have been predicting a plot twist? Some mystical / black magic shit, or some type of conspiracy / cover up?

I've been rewatching the episodes and they feel more and more evil the more I watch them. So much fucking epic badass dialogue too.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:20 AM »
That last scene pretty much said it all. I get the feeling it will end with Marty and Rust dead and those two present day detectives left to continue the cycle. Nothing changes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:39:48 AM by Probably A Robot »
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."