Author Topic: What it's actually like to be gay  (Read 14219 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: What it's actually like to be gay
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
Expand Quote
homophobes are just pissed cuz they can't get laid
(nice link though)
[close]
ink? u mean the videos in this thread?

no, link, i said link

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
homophobes are just pissed cuz they can't get laid
(nice link though)
[close]
ink? u mean the videos in this thread?
[close]

no, link, i said link
oh i see, normal moron huh?

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
 I disagree to the part that they have to try and make their dislike a law. Especially if a law is against equality of citizens. Gay people just want to be recognized from the state as married in order to have the same rights and benefits of married people, why that concerns Christians? Furthermore religion is metaphysical and personal, it shouldnt dictate the laws of the physical world nor the laws of people who dont follow a religion or THEIR relegion.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »
Just to be clear...

I support gay marrage and equality.

I also support Christians right to feel that homosexuality is wrong.

I support everyone's right to participate in the political process to try and align the system better with their morality.

I find PC just as mindless if not even more so then faith based thinking because it ignores context in the same way faith ignores logic. I feel both omissions are bad and that best results are achieved when logic and context are both used

do you disagree with that?

With the exception of a religious context, in what other context is homosexuality wrong?  Also my impression of the speaker's point is that he finds the fact that the morality of his sexuality is subject to political process problematic. Which is something that I agree with. Frankly I can't see any context where the romantic choice of two consenting adults should be subject to debate.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
I disagree to the part that they have to try and make their dislike a law. Especially if a law is against equality of citizens. Gay people just want to be recognized from the state as married in order to have the same rights and benefits of married people, why that concerns Christians? Furthermore religion is metaphysical and personal, it shouldnt dictate the laws of the physical world nor the laws of people who dont follow a religion or THEIR relegion.

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »
Just to be clear...

It is impossible for those two ideas to exist in your brain without contradicting eachother.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
You can't be gay unless u r down with the satures mob.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
Expand Quote
This was so heart warming, sad, true and thoughtful. I think I proved to Myself that I'm more of a non homophobic Person, shared with a Gay Friend a bed for a month and went naked swimming with a gay guy, while everybody wore Some shorts. But just having these thoughts about how I am not a homophobe it proves that It's still something that I am not 100 % allright with ( or that it's something special for me being around Gay people).
[close]

You know what, bro? That's going the distance. You're officially G.A. (Gay Allied). Your badge is in the mail.
Sweet. Now I can watch the olympic Games without feeling Bad about me, haha.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This was so heart warming, sad, true and thoughtful. I think I proved to Myself that I'm more of a non homophobic Person, shared with a Gay Friend a bed for a month and went naked swimming with a gay guy, while everybody wore Some shorts. But just having these thoughts about how I am not a homophobe it proves that It's still something that I am not 100 % allright with ( or that it's something special for me being around Gay people).
[close]

You know what, bro? That's going the distance. You're officially G.A. (Gay Allied). Your badge is in the mail.
[close]
Sweet. Now I can watch the olympic Games without feeling Bad about me, haha.
Alright now this I gotta hear?. And also, do I get a pair of Nikes and 2000 dollars if I become? an Olympic athlete?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 12:52:04 AM »
You can't be gay unless u r down with the satures mob.
Satures, when an athletic deoderant is simply not gay enough for your B.O.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »

so then you feel that only logic based moralities should be aloud to be considered when making laws? Seems a bit unfair to all the people of faith out there to say their morality isn't valid. You are dismissing the fact that from their point of view homosexuality is wrong. Not all things we outlaw effect others so I don't see how that alone is sufficient. I'm glad they are loosing the fight but I support their right to believe its wrong and to participate in the political process. I find it surprising that anyone would be for not allowing faith based beliefs to influence our laws. I feel that position ignores the current political context.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »
Is it ok if it's the religion inwhich one smothers themself in Sature?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Just to be clear...

[close]

It is impossible for those two ideas to exist in your brain without contradicting eachother.

they don't contradict at all.

i personally support gay marriage. if there was a vote i'd vote for it to be allowed.

however, i also support christians rights to feel and vote differently on the matter and to participate in the political process like everyone else does. i also don't find their beliefs offensive because i've always been aware of the nature of faith based beliefs. there's been all kinds of things that i've done or been involved in in my life that christians think are sins and by their way of thinking i would be going to hell. why would i possibly care if i'm a non-believer and believe in freedom of speech and religion? again, i'm glad that there continues to be a larger and larger separation of our laws from christianity but i don't need to throw all christians under a bus because of that. i know a lot of christians who even with their lack of support for gay lifestyles, live way more moral lives than i do and spend a lot of their money and free time helping others. i'd have to be some kind of real prick to act like i'm on a moral high ground because eventhough i never do anything to help anyone outside of my home because i've got progressive political values i'm somehow morally superior. that's a bunch of pc nonsense.

that's not exactly a ground breaking idea unless you are a fascist.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
You are dismissing the fact that from their point of view homosexuality is wrong. Not all things we outlaw effect others so I don't see how that alone is sufficient. I'm glad they are loosing the fight but I support their right to believe its wrong and to participate in the political process. I find it surprising that anyone would be for not allowing faith based beliefs to influence our laws. I feel that position ignores the current political context.
People used to think it was perfectly acceptable to own other people too. Some people probably still feel that way. Do we let them influence our laws about human rights anymore?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
sleazy is a fake account, that's possibly the worst arguement I've ever heard. if Christianity somehow reverses the trend and declining popularity and gay marriage is outright banned, you still support their faith based laws?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so then you feel that only logic based moralities should be aloud to be considered when making laws? Seems a bit unfair to all the people of faith out there to say their morality isn't valid. You are dismissing the fact that from their point of view homosexuality is wrong. Not all things we outlaw effect others so I don't see how that alone is sufficient. I'm glad they are loosing the fight but I support their right to believe its wrong and to participate in the political process. I find it surprising that anyone would be for not allowing faith based beliefs to influence our laws. I feel that position ignores the current political context.
From a personal point of view i am against religion having to do anything with the physical world. From laws to even shaping opinons about events that happen in the physical world. Thats what keeps us behind. However i am pretty aware that i cant dictate the way people think.

So i am pretty sure that is objective to say that christians are welcome to suggest laws that are not against the fundamentals values of democracy, such as the equality of citizens towards the laws and the state, or  dont hurt the public (for example pre merital sex and masturbation should be legal because deprivation of orgasm has beeen proved scientifically to cause serious psychological problems)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:56:53 AM by Tufty »

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to be clear...

[close]

[close]

i personally support gay marriage. if there was a vote i'd vote for it to be allowed.

however, i also support christians rights to feel and vote differently on the matter and to participate in the political process like everyone else does. i also don't find their beliefs offensive because i've always been aware of the nature of faith based beliefs. there's been all kinds of things that i've done or been involved in in my life that christians think are sins and by their way of thinking i would be going to hell. why would i possibly care if i'm a non-believer and believe in freedom of speech and religion? again, i'm glad that there continues to be a larger and larger separation of our laws from christianity but i don't need to throw all christians under a bus because of that. i know a lot of christians who even with their lack of support for gay lifestyles, live way more moral lives than i do and spend a lot of their money and free time helping others. i'd have to be some kind of real prick to act like i'm on a moral high ground because eventhough i never do anything to help anyone outside of my home because i've got progressive political values i'm somehow morally superior. that's a bunch of pc nonsense.

You're operating under the idea that by telling Christians it's wrong to think homosexuality is wrong then its oppressing them which is entirely untrue. Them thinking being gay is a sin is oppressing gay people, just because someone speaks out against that does not mean they are having their rights taken away at all. If you're so openly about freedom of religion and political views, you would not support Christian's crusade in condemning homosexuals. You can't think it's morally wrong for yourself to oppose gay marriage while thinking it's not morally wrong for someone else to think so, this is called a contradiction.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2014, 03:05:18 AM »
GAY, the video that you posted upset me because it brought up the feeling that as an "outsider" I am limited in my understanding and there for my ability to enact change. I would not have previously considered myself a homophobe because I support the idea of equality across the board for the rights of people whatever their orientation, and believe that in doing less we as a society can only loos out on perspective and insight form other "walks of life" ( and that is a purposefully shitty way of putting it) but I don't understand. So therefor my opinions can only come from the perspective of a reasonably educated outsider.

I have to accept that unfortunately that is true, but it furthers my belief that gay people will be, and should be, the only people able to decide what is offensive to them as described in this video. On that point the idea that the idea of a grouping of homosexuality even exists blows my mind, because it is a vast and rich spectrum of sexualities that is being disregarded.

There is way to much I have to say and think about this and that is what I think still makes me a homophobe, that I still am so ignorant to the nuances. As with feminism as with race relations, as with religious stalemates. I don't know what to do when being supportive feels like nothing more than sitting on the sidelines waving a flag. All I can say is that I will make every effort to ensure that my children are brought up in the same accepting mind frame that I was, and I hope beyond reasonable hope that they with think that my pushing them towards acceptance and tolerance of other beliefs or peoples is outdated and seems silly because it has become the standard. I hope. I hope that I am one day called a homophobe for even making the distinction. But until then I live in a world of sad privileged shame, never doing enough.

A few other points:

The separation of church and state no longer really exists, certainly not in the US.

If people of faith truly believe that people will be judged in the next life/afterlife for the choices that they make in this one, then they should back off a bit, go ahead and save yourself within your own paradigm, but leave me to mine.

The analogy of being a skater In Australia in the eighties might kind of fit but only because of the company you are in here on SLAP. At the end of the day it's a choice, not one that you should have to make too avoid oppression but a choice none the less. 

The struggle of straight, white, middle class guilt is real, it's just not as real as actually being oppressed.

I wish is great any of you were here so that we could talk this out in person.

S.L.A.P.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
Just because we're straight, white and middle-class doesn't give you the right to oppress us.

You heartless gay minority bastards.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to be clear...

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're operating under the idea that by telling Christians it's wrong to think homosexuality is wrong then its oppressing them which is entirely untrue. Them thinking being gay is a sin is oppressing gay people, just because someone speaks out against that does not mean they are having their rights taken away at all. If you're so openly about freedom of religion and political views, you would not support Christian's crusade in condemning homosexuals. You can't think it's morally wrong for yourself to oppose gay marriage while thinking it's not morally wrong for someone else to think so, this is called a contradiction.

i think people should speak out against the christian belief that homosexuality is morally wrong. it's absurd. but no more absurd than the idea that masturbation is wrong.

i'm not making the point that they have good morality that i agree with, i'm making the point that they have a right to think that they have good morality and to participate in the political process. and my original point was that i don't see how being a christian and thinking that homosexuality makes one a hypocrite. maybe morally shallow, naive, ignorant but it doesn't seem hypocritical to me.

what are you guys proposing anyway? that christians need to be not allowed to voice their opinions or that everyone should hate them because of their beliefs?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:22:04 AM by Sleazy »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
I also think that Christians should be allowed to tell me that I'm an abomination in the eyes of the lord and will burn in hell, just like I believe the KKK should be allowed to say that black people are less-than. HOWEVER, they don't get to say those things without consequences. If I go around saying that I hate black people and you call me out as a racist, in the current climate I would then say that you calling me a racist is hateful because I was just practicing free speech. What the orator says at the end about this being an Orwellian trick is dead on correct. I can be a bigoted ass, but people are then allowed to call me out as such.

Again, fellas, stoked on the discussion going on in this thread, and sleazy I completely respect you for coming in here and broadening the discussion.

I don't demand that people accept me for being gay, but I won't tolerate being treated as lesser anymore because of it.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
I don't demand that people accept me for being gay, but I won't tolerate being treated as lesser anymore because of it.

i back this. can i get an AMEN!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
i appreciate you understanding what i'm trying to say here gay. i am just trying to widen the conversation to take into consideration that in spite of the fact that logically this is dead simple, practically speaking it's way more complicated. and that making progress can't be done by simply vilifying one side. unfortunately i think this issue will be more like abortion than civil rights. you will probably always have some religious extremist nut jobs protesting and trying to pass laws.

on a related note, wasn't christianity used to justify slavery at one time? does anyone know how strong the dogma around that is and how the church managed to modernize in that area?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
let's talk about the pedophile christian priests now, and why the vatican hid and covered it ...
religions aren't opinions, they're indoctrination...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:31:36 AM by the snake »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
I also think that Christians should be allowed to tell me that I'm an abomination in the eyes of the lord and will burn in hell, just like I believe the KKK should be allowed to say that black people are less-than.
Why should people be able to tell you shit? Are you a weak willed human? Especially if they worship a scripture dictating events that happened over 2000 years ago on a different continent. How's that make them relevant at all?

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I also think that Christians should be allowed to tell me that I'm an abomination in the eyes of the lord and will burn in hell, just like I believe the KKK should be allowed to say that black people are less-than.
[close]
Why should people be able to tell you shit? Are you a weak willed human? Especially if they worship a scripture dictating events that happened over 2000 years ago on a different continent. How's that make them relevant at all?

are you so weak minded you imagine there's a local gay conspiracy to bum you?

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i don't understand.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" Nirvana

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" Nirvana

#courtneykilledcurt
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.