Author Topic: why is life so pointless  (Read 9678 times)

A.A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
Re: why is life so pointless
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
When you become a parent stuff makes more sense.  Then opens up a whole new gang of questions. :/
Twin Perks

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
Typical existential crisis. I pretty much feel the same way as you, and it kind of is depressing. Yeah sure, life is pointless but only initially. I don't think any of use were put on earth for a cause or reason but that doesn't mean we don't have one. People create meaning as we go, whether it be having a kid or whatever. Life is worth living because of the fun times it brings. The shitty times only make the worthwhile ones sweeter

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Try helping somebody else out...you'll realize life isn't as pointless as you thought.

That's really fucking true dude

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
If you need to have children to create meaning in your life, please do yourself and them a favour and don't have children.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »

Short Answer "Yes" with an "If"...

Long Answer "No" with a "But"...

We clearly have a man that needs some help here and you want him to read the unabridged version of Das Capital? You asshole.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
If you need to have children to create meaning in your life, please do yourself and them a favour and don't have children.

OT: Someone who used to post here years ago said that if you're not getting along with your spouse, you should have a kid and then you'll rebuild the bond because you will have to work together and yadda yadda yadda, he's now divorced with three kids.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
Not to mention doing the rest of us a favor too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »
As someone said above, a change in your routine will maybe make life less motonotonous. This could be changing your diet, trying out new music, or even doing the skateboard tricks you always thought were lame (i was pretty sure no complies/footplants were lame my whole life, but no comply 360 double hardflips are pretty hard to hate on).

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

you've got it all wrong. kids don't give your life meaning, nothing can do that. kids help you realize that meaning in life isn't important. there's no 5 year old walking around contemplating silly things like the meaning of life because they are too busy enjoying life to care.

Expand Quote
[close]
Not to mention doing the rest of us a favor too.

it's a shame your parents didn't feel the same way

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
You're right. I'm a terrible piece of shit. My parents should late term abort me now.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
Sleazy, your worldview sounds like fucking Big Bird meets Spinoza, and I think it's flawed.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
big bird suggests that life isn't meaningful?

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
From the Big Bird Wiki:

"His personality developed over time from being a dim, slow-witted character into the childlike innocence he is known for today. Although all the Sesame Street Muppet characters are technically ageless, Big Bird is psychologically written to represent a six-year-old."

What I take from that post, and your misreading of my original posts is that you're essentially trying to hold up the "positive, affirmative life"(Spinoza) As a desirable standard, while also condemning the act of thinking (Big Bird/ most children) It's a mess of a philosophy and falls apart before it even farts out of your brain.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
pretty funny how your trying to be academic about your pop culture references and fart jokes. so are you go to enlighten us on the meaning of life now? hopefully it'll be better than your trolling.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
You told me that I "have it all wrong" when upon reading some posts suggesting that having kids will bring meaning, I said that it wouldn't. We were on a similar page. Then you said that life had no meaning. Then you said the purpose (meaning?) of life was to "enjoy it" like a 5 year old, who doesn't (or often can't) weigh themselves down with pesky questions. So there we have it. Life has no meaning, but the meaning of life is to enjoy it and its lack of meaning. But that's not a meaning?

I will give you credit though, your ideas are consistent with a lack of thinking.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
SHOTS FIRED

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
My only point was that life is meaningless, so you are mistaken

you still haven't put up why you feel life is meaningful or any thoughts of your own

you must really spend a lot of time around insecure idiots if you think your insults hold any weight

shark tits

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
halfpipe joust to decide if life has meaning or not. it's the only way!

Marty Mcfly

• Rep: 40
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
Because.

Pro Baby Yeah!

A.A

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »

thats about 70% of the population then. ? bummer.
Twin Perks

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Some days I think kinda like you. I feel like we are nothing but animals with a highly developed brain, and that there really is no point in doing anything.
Especially if I haven't slept much the night before. Kinda weird, huh?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
Is enjoying life really that hard? Do people really need to feel like they are making some permanent impact to enjoy life? Doesn't everyone realize that our sun will burn out and that eventual extinction of our whole ecosystem is inevitable? I guess not wasting time on this kind of thing is another benefit of faith.

A.A

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
Janoski had an interview in TWS where it said  "an ordinary life would be the worst"

i hated him for saying that.
Twin Perks

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »
 Thats how i feel with grown ups that dont skate. What a waste of lives.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
When life gives you lemons, be grateful, because life doesn't owe you a fucking thing. Who the fuck promised anybody life was supposed to have a point? We are highly evolved animals who haven't escaped the eat-fuck-die cycle that all animals have, but somehow wonder why we exist. You exist because mom and dad got horny, and they are a product of the same type of scenario.

You have to give life your own meaning, because everybody gives their own meaning to everything they encounter anyway. I mean even if the meaning you assign yourself is copied from somebody, you interpret it your own way, and chose to follow that person's understanding of meaning. In a fucked up way, the only choice you don't have in terms of finding meaning in your life is to get it from somebody else, because only you can make something meaningful to yourself.

So yeah, don't ask us, our answers will all suck to you.

Oh, and Sleazy is right if that helps him continue maintaining the eat-fuck-die cycle, and Chris Hansen is right if that doesn't help him continue maintaining the eat-fuck-die cycle and he needs more "depth" than that.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Some dim sum sounds good right now.

GOOD BLOKE

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
i'm getting me a sausage roll for lunch, haven't had one in a while, bloody beautiful

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you've got it all wrong. kids don't give your life meaning, nothing can do that. kids help you realize that meaning in life isn't important. there's no 5 year old walking around contemplating silly things like the meaning of life because they are too busy enjoying life to care.

I think you misread or misinterpreted what Chris Hansen is saying. You're answering him as if he himself thinks that having children will give your life meaning when in reality he was talking about other people who think that, because there are tons of people who somehow find some kind of newly invented "purpose" in their lives after they've been lost for awhile and ended up having a kid. Seen it happen too many times.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Shredsledder

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »
We are highly evolved animals who haven't escaped the eat-fuck-die cycle that all animals have, but somehow wonder why we exist. You exist because mom and dad got horny, and they are a product of the same type of scenario.

people reducing the world to this makes me sad. If we're talking base behavior i guess what you're saying has credence but come on now I'm pretty sure we can all agree there is more going on here than "eat-fuck-die"

I constantly feel like one part of myself is the innate "eat-fuck-die" part and another is what I use to create thoughts/music/skate trix. On the macro-level nothing is black and white I guess, but I suppose I would agree that biologically/in our subconscious we are all on the "eat-fuc-die" program.

the paragraph in gippers post after the one I quoted is definitely some wisdom.

foureyedjim

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
Some dim sum sounds good right now.

when life gives you dim sum, life is good, life was truly worth living.