Author Topic: epically templetits  (Read 43715 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: epically templetits
« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
I was surprised how little Todd Swank was in it....I think that Senn thing was just a bad situation....it sucks but you can see....Ed felt he lost a friend and Senn felt hosed out of money.....Ed takes it to heart that Senn would have rode for free.....yeah right.....Senn rode for Element....

Yeah, but that was a while after, you know?  He also started up Adrenalin--which got very little coverage, then went to Element and used that money to start Blood Wizard.  So I doubt Senn is super money obsessed.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:24 AM »
Ok, I was wrong. Ed definitely did skate some big gnarly rails. His "This Is Skateboarding" clips proves it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
Sucks they didn't interview Johnny Layton's prick.....boy does Josh Harmony look like Vanessa Torres.....

b.v.

« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I was surprised how little Todd Swank was in it....I think that Senn thing was just a bad situation....it sucks but you can see....Ed felt he lost a friend and Senn felt hosed out of money.....Ed takes it to heart that Senn would have rode for free.....yeah right.....Senn rode for Element....

[close]

Yeah, but that was a while after, you know?  He also started up Adrenalin--which got very little coverage, then went to Element and used that money to start Blood Wizard.  So I doubt Senn is super money obsessed.
I was under the impression that Toad started Blood Wizard, but have no idea for sure.
I just remember they were around for a few years before Senn and Ben Krahn had boards out.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
boy does Josh Harmony look like Vanessa Torres.....

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
The two situations are incomparable, but Senn did claim that Ed owed him money before kicking him off in that Free Lunch up there...

-true! regardless, it's so f'd up to hear and see the business-skate-side-politics from skaters you respect. when you think about it, girl skateboards was founded by young guys who thought (wrongfully) that rocco was not paying them their worth (that he owed them money), jcassanova, unfortunately, was created under a similar circumstance. the skateworld could get murky when it comes to money (regardless if it's skater owned brand or not). with the exception of the skatepark of tampa dudes, skaters are typically not good accountants. so if senn says that ed owed him money, this might be true, or it could be a distorted understanding of what was going on. senn did say he was heshing out during that period as well. anyhow, this epically later'd was epically templetits.

deanna templeton's words made me reflective about the dilemma -- old age. when i skateboarded at my prime (teen years), being 24 was old... way old. i remember asking mark gonzales how old he was and he told me "25." i was shocked because i thought he was 35 and i let him know. he was soooo bummed, but hey, it was the 90s and skateboarding wasn't as popular just yet so skating into your 30s didn't seem likely. it's cool to see it continue to happen for some but older pros do have decisions that need to be made soon.

-thanks o'dell for restoring my faith in epiclly later'd. on another note, when geoff licked ed's cut to show him brotherly love, that was some detailed-personality-shit (also the  picture of deanna licking geoff's shorts)......... now, where the f was that when you did geoff's epiclly later'd?

-just saying

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I was under the impression that Toad started Blood Wizard, but have no idea for sure.
I just remember they were around for a few years before Senn and Ben Krahn had boards out.

you are correct

foureyedjim

« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
Ok, I was wrong. Ed definitely did skate some big gnarly rails. His "This Is Skateboarding" clips proves it.

you never saw that part before?
blowin' it.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2014, 04:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did anyone really give a fuck about Chris Senn? i know his boards didn't sell, and his video part in that one Toy Machine video got treated like the vert part. They seemed to have skipped over the whole thing bout Bam, Kerry, and Maldanado all quitting Toy because Tod Swank is a dickhead. I also so remember hearing that the reason Senn got kicked off a long time ago was that part of his deal was that Toy had to match his contest winnings, and thats when he won every park contest and it was costing them tons of money to keep him around yet he really didn't make very much for the company, maybe thats what he was talking about when he said Ed owed him money.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2014, 05:51:52 AM »
i wonder if he ever read the letter i sent him when i was 16

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »
does anyone not like ed? he is like the posterboy for skaters. creative, adaptive, perseverance etc. great episode and series
Well that one guy from the He Man Ed Haters Club wasn't too keen on him.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
Did anyone really give a fuck about Chris Senn? i know his boards didn't sell, and his video part in that one Toy Machine video got treated like the vert part.

Do you mean everyone skipped it?  That's one of my favorite video parts, and Senn is one of my favorite skaters.

example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #372 on: April 01, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
Whoever skips Chris Senn's part in Jump Off A Building is an idiot.  That shit is classic.  Easily one of the best parts from that era ever. 

shark tits

« Reply #373 on: April 01, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
Whoever skips Chris Senn's part in Jump Off A Building is an idiot.  That shit is classic.  Easily one of the best parts from that era ever. 
"chris senn don't wanna
feel the weight of the world"
maybe w/ a better song people would like it more.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
i guess it's settled. from the danny sargent chromeball:

Have to bring up that Ain't Dead Yet handrail 50-50, was that the first one ever published? I've always heard it was either that one or Ed's 50-50 for Circle-A? That's a good question. I think Ed's actually came out the same month as mine but his was in Transworld on a square rail and mine was in Thrasher on a round one. I thought about that today when I saw Ed's Epicly Later'd and someone said he had the first pic grinding a rail in a mag. I've always been told that I had the first pic but he can have it if he wants. Or not. I know Gonz and Natas did 'em first.

(Editor's note: Sarge was in the March '88 issue of Thrasher, Ed's was in the June '88 issue of the still bi-monthly Transworld)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
Danny Sargent is hilariously modest.

Chris Senn's part in Jump off a Building was AMAZING. I used to hate Kerry Getz because Senn's part kind of abruptly transitions to Kerry Getz, and when I saw him, I knew Senn was done Shredding. Didn't he also win SOTY the year that part came out? To claim he was never that rad is crazy. I can't say anything about board sales, but he was a shredder.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Poisson Random Variable

• Rep: -21
« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
smh...
 O'Dell always doing pieces on old, washed up skaters. Don't get me wrong, Ed was good back in the day, but I can't be too off when I say that no one cares about him anymore.
Next episodes should be on some real talent; young bloods like Cyril Jackson or Jeremy Leabres

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #377 on: April 01, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Yeah, cause the ones about young guys with no stories to tell are so interesting!

I always had the idea that Toy Machine was a shitty company to ride for. Like, barely anyone had their own model - everybody was riding some 10 year old graphic and was more or less a replaceable employee in service of Ed's vision. That may or may not be wrong.

But I did like the Ed episodes a lot. He seems like a truly decent guy. I'd probably buy a Toy Machine board again if the wood wasn't so shitty.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2014, 03:18:49 AM »
Didn't Ron Whaley have the cover of the Senn soty issue? 1995, a few years before jump off a building.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:23:34 AM by TheRealDeal »

moeron

• Rep: -27
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2014, 03:23:22 AM »
Chris Senn's Jump Off A Building part is amazing. There is a reason Thrasher posted it as a classic.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28:11 AM »
but I can't be too off when I say that no one cares about him anymore.

no, you're not too far off, you're just wrong.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2014, 03:36:55 AM »
smh...
 O'Dell always doing pieces on old, washed up skaters. Don't get me wrong, Ed was good back in the day, but I can't be too off when I say that no one cares about him anymore.
Next episodes should be on some real talent; young bloods like Cyril Jackson or Jeremy Leabres

hellaclips has a forum now, check it out bro

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:28 AM »

Chris Senn's part in Jump off a Building was AMAZING. I used to hate Kerry Getz because Senn's part kind of abruptly transitions to Kerry Getz, and when I saw him, I knew Senn was done Shredding. Didn't he also win SOTY the year that part came out? To claim he was never that rad is crazy. I can't say anything about board sales, but he was a shredder.

I remember being at a few contests in the mid 90's where both the crowd and other pro's were pretty blatantly dissing Senn.
I guess for trying too hard when that wasn't cool, spending his whole run in a street contest trying 540's on the biggest quarter pipe there and being a contest pro when everyone else was trying to be street as fuck one way or another..

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight his approach was way ahead of its time.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »
Poor sweet D'  :-[.  How are you going to stress her out so much like that Ed?  It's time to play things safe I think.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
I once questioned Senn's naming of his son Anakin (in my head, not in person, and I got over it after 30 seconds).  Why not go all in and just call him Boba Fett? 

Senn was SOTY for a reason, and does not get the vert button.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »

He won in 95 and i think Jump off a Building was like 98/99.  But that video did help Brian Anderson get SOTY that year. Pretty wack ed had to kick off Senn to try to keep Kerry then have him ditch for Habitat, but i don't think any east coast based guy was gonna turn down an opportunity to ride for a Sect based company then, Kerry fit Habitat better than Toy in my mind.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
Why was Tosh inducted in that Hall of Fame?

Good skater for sure, but it's silly to even compare him to dudes like Templeton and Hosoi.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
Why was Tosh inducted in that Hall of Fame?

Good skater for sure, but it's silly to even compare him to dudes like Templeton and Hosoi.
I thought it was a skatepark opening, and the 3 of them are all Huntington Beach dudes, so I assume it has to do with that.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out