Author Topic: Good Stuff Ed Templeton  (Read 21298 times)

Tufty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
Re: Good Stuff Ed Templeton
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »
 ^spot on

TV was awesome, i guess so from seeing graphics and shit. Vallely always seemed like a douche i wonder why and how Templeton has forgiven him. Its even more sickening learning that Vallely was invovled into kicking out Dez from the Black Flag Revamp and substituting him as lead singer.

At least we got toy machine out of the deal which for me is the only company i can relate even though i find it stupid to relate to companies.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe he'll come to Ed's house and tell him "You're done, party's over get off it's over..." and take over Toy Machine...
[close]
lol

+1
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
The really lame part about this whole thing is that Ed was way more relevant than Mike V was at that time, Mike was riding Ed's coat tails cuz Ed was definitely one of the hotter pros at that time. I was a big fan of both of them at the time but even if you watch videos from that era Ed was killing it and Mike V was trying very hard to keep up with what people were doing, it wasn't until the Stereo era and people could be more free to skate the way they wanted that Mike became relevant again. Even in the New Deal video it seemed like Mike was falling behind the times, the thing that kept him around was people that had always been fans of his.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:09 AM »
The really lame part about this whole thing is that Ed was way more relevant than Mike V was at that time, Mike was riding Ed's coat tails cuz Ed was definitely one of the hotter pros at that time. I was a big fan of both of them at the time but even if you watch videos from that era Ed was killing it and Mike V was trying very hard to keep up with what people were doing, it wasn't until the Stereo era and people could be more free to skate the way they wanted that Mike became relevant again. Even in the New Deal video it seemed like Mike was falling behind the times, the thing that kept him around was people that had always been fans of his.

What year was the new deal video, would be great to do an infographic of Vallely's decline and sponser hops. I feel like for the younger generation Ed is in his Autumn years, despite still ripping, and Vallely is really trying to milk the grass of its dew. I hope for the most part that is transparent Ed is the type of skateboarder young guys coming up should strive to be.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What year was the new deal video, would be great to do an infographic of Vallely's decline and sponser hops. I feel like for the younger generation Ed is in his Autumn years, despite still ripping, and Vallely is really trying to milk the grass of its dew. I hope for the most part that is transparent Ed is the type of skateboarder young guys coming up should strive to be.
1281 came out in 1991, and it was at the very beginning of the supertech era, right around before it became uncool to do impossibles and it may have already been not cool to do late shove its. Skating was still in that transitional stage so Mike was still a dude people were into in that video, people were still ok with dudes flying around and being the all terrain hesh street skater type. I woudl say by the first 411 came out what he was doing was definitely out, and there was a lot of akward footage of him trying to keep up with the tech skating of the time.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
1281 came out in 1991, and it was at the very beginning of the supertech era, right around before it became uncool to do impossibles and it may have already been not cool to do late shove its. Skating was still in that transitional stage so Mike was still a dude people were into in that video, people were still ok with dudes flying around and being the all terrain hesh street skater type. I woudl say by the first 411 came out what he was doing was definitely out, and there was a lot of akward footage of him trying to keep up with the tech skating of the time.

'80s pros only had 2-4 year runs, so by those standards Vallely was over the hill by Rubbish Heap (see the footage of Jesse Martinez and Jef Hartsel for more compelling examples). Funny you mention 411 as I think this is some of the best footage he's put out:

Greg Road

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
I always hated when Mike would pop at contests and start hand planting on everything and beating up security guards and hitting himself in the face.

Ed rules!

Greg Road

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
I really like these episodes but wtf is up with that herp on Eds lip
[close]

if you've followed up on ed's lifestyle in terms of how creepy he is there's really nothing to discuss.

K what?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »
I've been defending Mike V for years, but I gotta say it's getting harder & harder...

I wouldn't say ive ever defended mike, i just probably avoided saying anything bad about him......but after that fuck Mike V!!!

GershonSweaty

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

'80s pros only had 2-4 year runs, so by those standards Vallely was over the hill by Rubbish Heap (see the footage of Jesse Martinez and Jef Hartsel for more compelling examples). Funny you mention 411 as I think this is some of the best footage he's put out:

That was odd to watch, what natenola forever said was right totally trying to keep up but failing. Also for someone who does step hops and foot plants bonelesses etc that no comply 180 was fucking poor.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
trying to milk the grass of its dew
[close]

HAHAHAHA VALLELY THE OLD GRASS MILKER

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I've been defending Mike V for years, but I gotta say it's getting harder & harder...
[close]

I wouldn't say ive ever defended mike, i just probably avoided saying anything bad about him......but after that fuck Mike V!!!

He was one of my favorite skaters during the Public Domain/Rubbish Heap/Spead Freaks period, so I still have some fondness for him from that. Plus, there was this one show where he showed up at some dying kid's house & skated with him & his buddies, even ollieing boards they stacked up & shit, which was rad - most pros wouldn't do something like that.

I wouldn't want to have anything to do with him personally or professionally, but I do respect what he's done on the board & the way he just goes his own way. I don't think he's all evil - probably just bipolar.

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2014, 08:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He was one of my favorite skaters during the Public Domain/Rubbish Heap/Spead Freaks period, so I still have some fondness for him from that. Plus, there was this one show where he showed up at some dying kid's house & skated with him & his buddies, even ollieing boards they stacked up & shit, which was rad - most pros wouldn't do something like that.

I wouldn't want to have anything to do with him personally or professionally, but I do respect what he's done on the board & the way he just goes his own way. I don't think he's all evil - probably just bipolar.

There's definitely a New Jersey vibe about Vallely, so nothing surprises me with this guy. He could redeem himself in the eyes of slap by dealing out a beatdown on Nick Merlino. Fuck, I'd LOVE to see this! ...hell, Chase 'Gaybar' from the Berrics could sodomise this little prick with his screwdriver afterwards. Fun for all. 

;D

As for pros doing nice things for chronically ill/dying kids, Sheckler has been active with the Make A Wish Foundation for years and his own charity, but still gets hate from slap.

I'm not too sure that nice gestures like skating for a dying kid can excuse stealing from your teammate/business partner. Hell, if it could, there'd be hope for Andrew Langi!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
Guys. let's not ruin this thread with Mike V.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »

Good point.  I have been starting to wonder when/if Toy Machine will put out another video. Also, what will they call it? Welcome to Suburbia? Jump Off of HB Pier?

GershonSweaty

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good point.  I have been starting to wonder when/if Toy Machine will put out another video. Also, what will they call it? Welcome to Suburbia? Jump Off of HB Pier?

I know a huge amount of people talk about 'Welcome to hell' being incredible influential and or their favourite video. However as I'm younger 'Jump off a building' was the first video I saw and for me way more important in solidifying Toy as an artistic, down to earth skaters skaters company. Not to knock 'Welcome to hell' it's and incredible video but 'Jump off a building' is always going to be a sentimental favourite.

Even just for "where were we before we came here Donny?"

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
Ed rules. I always liked his skating and the thrasher with ed on the cover was the first skateboard mag i ever got. I liked him the most in the nineties... Because he was so different. Hair greased back, skinny highwater jeans and vegan shoes.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Any examples? I'd be interested to see.

shark tits

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i don't know if it quite fits the description but he won a contest [it's on an old 411] and was doing fairly mainstream tricks of the time including a kickflip 50-50. he didn't look too awkward in that except his jersey devils jersey over jean shorts lookin like kevin smith or some shit.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
So talented.

http://www.vice.com/epicly-later-d/ed-templeton-part-5

This series has been incredible so far.  Also, I can't take anything Muska says seriously. 

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »

His Union Wheels "Right To Skate" part is a pretty good representation of his awkwardness. He was the only guy in the vid doing late shove its, everyone else already moved on. There's also a ss 5-0 on a ankle-high curb which reeks of desperation...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:37:14 PM by Alan »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »

This series has been incredible so far.  Also, I can't take anything Muska says seriously. 

I think its funny when Muska was saying that some artist become artist along in their lifes and Ed was born an artist because i feel like Muska only became a supposed "artist" to stay somewhat relevant. Hes kind of a Kook.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
Deformer link?

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think its funny when Muska was saying that some artist become artist along in their lifes and Ed was born an artist because i feel like Muska only became a supposed "artist" to stay somewhat relevant. Hes kind of a Kook.

I was laughing at muska too.  Ed is such a natural artist that he is not an artist?

Greg Road

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »
I was hoping they'd elaborate a bit more after Welcome to Hell and how the whole team basically left - I've heard him talk about it briefly and it seems interesting. Still amazing though! I love the framed collages he does in galleries, they look so cool and how he manages to get so many different frames to fit like that is awesome - unless they're custom made ...

doublesteveburger

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2014, 12:49:40 AM »
I was hoping they'd elaborate a bit more after Welcome to Hell and how the whole team basically left - I've heard him talk about it briefly and it seems interesting. Still amazing though! I love the framed collages he does in galleries, they look so cool and how he manages to get so many different frames to fit like that is awesome - unless they're custom made ...

I dug that too and they're not custom made, just attention to detail when displaying. I've gone with that same concept too when displaying artwork. It's really fun to play around with frames like a tetris game then watch it all come together, especially when there's decks involved.

I hope they get interviews from the new toy riders in this to share some weird stories. I also hope they share a few stories on him filming for 'This is Skateboarding'.

a new park opened in HB today and they dedicated it to Ed, Hosoi and Tosh.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »
Tosh? Really?

foureyedjim

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2014, 04:10:40 AM »
Ed and Pontus should meet and take nudes

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2014, 05:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

not a mike v fan but i always gave him props for this part...