Author Topic: Ithaca NY  (Read 3114 times)

grebneergxam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Ithaca NY
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
Im thinking of going to Ithaca college next fall. I went up there and saw some little things around there and Cornell. Does anyone have any info on spots/the scene. Much appreciated.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
Re: Ithaca NY
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »
the skatepark is a lot of fun but its getting pretty old. that bank right downtown with the brick banks is a really fun spot, at night. I think that public parking garage downtown has some waxed ledges inside of it There are ledges and cellar door type spots sprinkled around town. dudes at homegrown would be happy to help you I'm sure.

syracuse and binghamton are both real close and have their share of fun spots. i've never been, but have been told by numerous people that the syracuse park is the best in new york state.

hope that helps you...I lived in ithaca five or six years ago, the scene is small yet tight knit and the skatepark is within walking distance of downtown. the horseshoe bowl is mad fun!

sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

grebneergxam

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Hell yeah thanks alot man. Those brick bank to walls looked super fun.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
Bank wit da brick banks for the win! If you see my little homie Matt at the park ax him if he still has the mini I kicked him down.

Honestly think you'll find A LOT more street spots anywhere else in America. There's maybe some shit over behind the Dominoes over near the commons before you get up state street. I did a back crook infront of the gas station by the library across the street from the musical instrument store last time i was there for a whole group of teenagers. Cornell prolly has some spots, but good luck not getting chased off the campus. It's probably worth living there just for the park and Short Stop Deli though.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:01 PM »

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »

zombiesoybot

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Cornell and Ithaca College both have a lot of spots at them. Downtown in the commons has some stuff. I dont know how much of a bust the commons are now. Like others have said, check out the skatepark, which is getting an addition, go to Homegrown and ask them.

hate to be that dude, but my shop/park is 40 minutes from Ithaca. HCsskatepark.com

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
Reviving this thread since I'm going to be in Ithaca with my buddies this summer. I've been before and saw some spots around Cornell but was hoping to see if anyone here had some spot suggestions?

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
Homegrown is a good start to chat an ask where there is to skate. I'd just skate the park, go hiking, and go to shows more or less. I remember the Ithaca College 10 being pretty damn perfect but I have no idea if it is still there, being over 10 years ago. Theres them bubble banks, and that cool little hip but I forget where they are. Around the river, there's a park with a 3 block but it's not that great. Those brick wall rides are cool too, but again I have no idea if they're still around. I think it was a post office near the end of the commons.

I grew up at the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse ~1 hour away. Being a local of the a legitimate street plaza is one of the few stupid points of pride I have. I'm approaching 20 years of skating there.

From my experience, there are more spots in Syracuse, but being a smaller city, I think the cops and security still aren't very tolerant of skaters. I think I am spoiled after moving to Los Angeles.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Ithaca has a long skate history for being where it is.  Here is an old video (97) showing the scene back then.  I have no idea if these spots exist today or how to find them, or what became of the park project.  But some cool skating.

https://www.facebook.com/IthacaSkatePark/videos/ithaca-skatepark-fundraiser-video-circa-1997/1104011656993/

Paperclip20

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 05:20:27 AM »
Thank you guys, I appreciate the responses. I have been to homegrown and will definitely hit them up to ask. That video from 97 was pretty neat to see aswell. Is it possible to skate at Everson without trouble?

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:15:01 AM »
Thank you guys, I appreciate the responses. I have been to homegrown and will definitely hit them up to ask. That video from 97 was pretty neat to see aswell. Is it possible to skate at Everson without trouble?

Yeah you’ll be good, Everson is cool.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 04:14:06 PM »
Homegrown is a good start to chat an ask where there is to skate. I'd just skate the park, go hiking, and go to shows more or less. I remember the Ithaca College 10 being pretty damn perfect but I have no idea if it is still there, being over 10 years ago. Theres them bubble banks, and that cool little hip but I forget where they are. Around the river, there's a park with a 3 block but it's not that great. Those brick wall rides are cool too, but again I have no idea if they're still around. I think it was a post office near the end of the commons.

I grew up at the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse ~1 hour away. Being a local of the a legitimate street plaza is one of the few stupid points of pride I have. I'm approaching 20 years of skating there.

From my experience, there are more spots in Syracuse, but being a smaller city, I think the cops and security still aren't very tolerant of skaters. I think I am spoiled after moving to Los Angeles.

Trebloc brick bank building is history

Ithaca has spots though, Cornell University has some incredible shit, much of it in proximity to the Johnson art museum (an I. M. Pei job, just like the Everson in Syracuse. There is a lot of development there and don't live there anymore so I'm assuming there's a lot of new shit to skate. Cornell can be high security but every once in a while you can skate a long time. That ollie into the bank with the razor sharp metal sides from John's Vid by Nik Stain was in Ithaca, near the downtown police station. Collegetown has some good spots -- Sean Conover and I think John Shanahan and maybe others have had tricks on this hubba in collegetown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVLtzu5-MWg
(1:14, I could have sworn he also kickflip front 5050d this in another video or ad)

Here are some photos.

Cody Rosenthal -- Brick banks downtown, RIP

Jake Johnson - Ithaca College (ABD by local Joe Lamondo)

Dylan Zhang -- Brick banks downtown, RIP

Evan Dow -- Architecture building, Cornell, amazing spot. The hip may or may not still be there, but as far as I know the other stuff is (bubble bank, bank to ledge, etc)

Jake Johnson -- Brick banks downtown, RIP

Jamal Smith -- Gates Building Cornell, this place is an instant bust given it's on the main road right by the police station.

Josh Bos -- Collegetown next to the Gorge, this spot is fucked. Also seen skated by Justin Drysen and Antonio Durao, can't remember which clips

Chris Terhaar -- Cayuga Heights, outskirts of Cornell U

tabby weed

• Rep: 4
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
Ithaca resident here, can confirm that the wedge is still there at the architecture building at Cornell (and it's amazing). That and the granite ledges at the top of the slope are probably the best-known spots there, but there's a lot to explore.

The Greater Ithaca Activities Center (GIAC) downtown has some really fun ledges and is another personal favorite (weekend-only spot, though).

People tend to sleep on Ithaca College, but there's some good spots there too—stairs, benches, and crusty ledges; I skate up there maybe 3-4 times a week, and I've never been kicked out of a spot.

Chris Terhaar -- Cayuga Heights, outskirts of Cornell U

^ Any idea where this spot is, or if it's still around? I've looked around a lot for it a lot but can't seem to find it—maybe it got filled in...

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 08:31:42 PM »
thurston and ridgewood, back in the woods to the W/N. watch out for all the poison ivy. bring a broom. as far as i know still exists. you may be able to see looking E from the sidewalk on highland ave if the leaves ain't out.

tabby weed

• Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
thurston and ridgewood, back in the woods to the W/N. watch out for all the poison ivy. bring a broom. as far as i know still exists. you may be able to see looking E from the sidewalk on highland ave if the leaves ain't out.

went out and found it yesterday! bringing a crew with a bunch of brooms and bondo this weekend. thanks for your help! :)

IpathCats

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 04:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

went out and found it yesterday! bringing a crew with a bunch of brooms and bondo this weekend. thanks for your help! :)

Love to see SLAP being awesome.

Paperclip20

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 07:09:50 AM »
Any updates on new spots? A friend and I are heading up next weekend for a day trip. Thanks everyone for the feedback last time I posted here. Appreciate yall

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
Any updates on new spots? A friend and I are heading up next weekend for a day trip. Thanks everyone for the feedback last time I posted here. Appreciate yall

Holler at Andrew and Owen over at Homegrown and they'll get you some info. The new section of the park was finished a while back. There's some new construction around the commons but I'm not sure if there are any newer spots, but those guys will be able to direct you to any new stuff on campus or around town.

Coming up just before it turns colder! Have a blast man.

Paperclip20

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holler at Andrew and Owen over at Homegrown and they'll get you some info. The new section of the park was finished a while back. There's some new construction around the commons but I'm not sure if there are any newer spots, but those guys will be able to direct you to any new stuff on campus or around town.

Coming up just before it turns colder! Have a blast man.

The absolute best season to come by, Ithaca in the fall is my favorite. Thanks!

thunderskater2805

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 10:42:21 AM »
Not Ithaca related...but there is an event in Syracuse (1:15 NW of Ithaca) in a couple weeks where you can explore the city/spots there. Not sure your location and if this is even further away for you...Meet up at the barber shop around 2.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:53:46 AM by thunderskater2805 »

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 11:35:12 AM »
Just posting to say I went to IC and the skate scene was fun. The skatepark itself, I think was pretty new when I went there (1999) but definitely fun. I didn't get too much skating in at the time due to a bad ankle break that took me out for a few years of anything other than the simple stuff. Hope you enjoy IC if you go.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 12:19:19 PM »
Just posting to say I went to IC and the skate scene was fun. The skatepark itself, I think was pretty new when I went there (1999) but definitely fun. I didn't get too much skating in at the time due to a bad ankle break that took me out for a few years of anything other than the simple stuff. Hope you enjoy IC if you go.

IC had the best 10 stair rail in the state of New York. Happy to hear you had a good time while you were up there!

kinjjibo

• Rep: -9
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2022, 04:39:26 AM »
I moved here back in 2017 right before those brick banks got torn down. Walked and drove past them all the time and the day I finally skated down to them they were fenced off. I'd kill for another nice bank in town.