Author Topic: Why is the cost of skate shoes getting more & more expensive?  (Read 7708 times)

andocom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
Re: Why is the cost of skate shoes getting more & more expensive?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 04:23:38 AM »
Have to remember that $50 in 1990 is $90 now accounting for inflation.

Trying to compete with online when you are a small bricks and mortar is brutal, I would hate to be playing that game in a commodity market like shoes.

Also I just don't understand people skating in shoes that last 2 or 3 weeks. A fair while ago I bought a pair of the early Campus Vulc SB for cheap, didn't skate them for a couple years, sweet god of fuck those things just wont die. I have a couple pairs of Boosntits Vulcs and new Campus Vulcs and they are a joke in comparison.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
Why is the cost of modern life getting more-and-more expensive?

For real.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 04:49:42 AM »
 Most shoes here are around 60-80 euros, but we got that stock house through the skateshop that sells old models for 35-45 euros. I remember it was always like that minus the stock house.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
Expand Quote
All I know is that these companies are all colluding to keep hidden lace loop technology off our feet solely to pad their bank accounts.
[close]

I think Forentein Marfang was wearing those in 2000

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All I know is that these companies are all colluding to keep hidden lace loop technology off our feet solely to pad their bank accounts.
[close]

[close]

I think Forentein Marfang was wearing those in 2000
tight!

dillanharp

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
Have to remember that $50 in 1990 is $90 now accounting for inflation.

Trying to compete with online when you are a small bricks and mortar is brutal, I would hate to be playing that game in a commodity market like shoes.

Also I just don't understand people skating in shoes that last 2 or 3 weeks. A fair while ago I bought a pair of the early Campus Vulc SB for cheap, didn't skate them for a couple years, sweet god of fuck those things just wont die. I have a couple pairs of Boosntits Vulcs and new Campus Vulcs and they are a joke in comparison.
This is true, but why are shoes the only thing that has fluctuated in price?

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
Inflation is a beach, more money is continually going to buy you less.

I'm just lucky I have a small shoe size & can generally get my shoes for a little cheaper than normal.

However I will defend many perspectives involving the relative consistency in shoe pricing over the past 15+ years.

Things in reality haven't changed much, it just seems that way.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

juhzden

• Rep: 6
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »
I was shocked to see how much shops sell Janoski's for, 80 bucks for basic vulc shoes, and kids buy the fuck out of them.

What's sad is I'm friends with someone who wears strictly Janoskis. I bought a pair in 2012 because I liked the color and was told they're good shoes. I didn't believe they were good shoes AT ALL but ended up buying a pair anyway. STUPID!! They were uncomfortable for the longest and one of those little perforation holes ripped, connected to the other and made one big hole on the inner side of the shoe. And that was when I wasn't skating them. Skating in them was flat out unpleasant.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
I honestly dont think skate shoes have gotten more or less expensive in the last decade, but i have noticed that the initial price has stayed in the $85-$115 range for Nike, DC, Adidas, Emerica...I noticed prices drop fairly fast too though with companies, Kostons and BA's dropped to btwn 50-75 within 2 months of their release.  Contrary to DGKalis's comment i dont necessarily think the new technology warrants the price tag all the time it depends on the shoe, i also dont think all the new technology is any better or lasts longer than shoes of 5/10 yrs ago...The kids in my neighborhood are skating the Nyjah shoe, and Mike Mo shoes they didnt seem to last longer than anything ive seen before (they had a legit hole in like 2 months) and those shoes are 80/90 bucks? I remember having Mantecca 2s and DC Pures in like 07/08 lasting me 4 months or so (Manteccas took forever to break in though) havent owned DCs in years though...I have Janoskis and Koston 2s and BA's..Janoskis are actually really solid they're the 3rd longest lasting shoe i ever had (first being Adidas Culver Mids, second being eS Accels) i recommend buying a size up i got a good 5/6 months though..I skated the BA's for a few weeks no tears or anything definitely worth the money, they look just like they did day one minus salt/snow stains..Koston 2s are too difficult for me to break in since theyre cupsole, so i just walk around in em now...As for the cheaper shoes sometimes they last longer especially if you've owned them in the past since you dont have to do 100 kickflips to break em in or whatever your routine is to assure yourself kinda like skating the same board all the time..Im on my 3rd pair of Globe Motley mids (they're like $40) and skipping the process of breaking em definitely adds to its lifespan. Same went for Hsu's, Though Half Cabs and Etnies Jameson's have been the shortest lasting shoes ive owned ever (2 weeks?) in the same price range
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:28:12 AM by Tarela »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
it's because you're buying them and will continue to buy them regardless.

TheDonutFather

• Rep: -3
    • DOUBLE DONUTS. avatar image
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
i don t know what the price was but the first circa muskas were the most expensive shoe to date as far as i can remember
[close]

Yep, They were about 16000 Yen / $157 at the time. US price was probably a bit less.

There seems to be way more deals on shoes too now.

Have you lived/do you live in Japan? And if you still do, what do you do there?

I'm moving there in January. I figured that's why your name was 'frip', haha.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Isn't it funny in the early 90's shoes where made in America, now they are made in China for far less money and the companies charge us more.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 02:23:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i don t know what the price was but the first circa muskas were the most expensive shoe to date as far as i can remember
[close]

Yep, They were about 16000 Yen / $157 at the time. US price was probably a bit less.

There seems to be way more deals on shoes too now.
[close]

Have you lived/do you live in Japan? And if you still do, what do you do there?

I'm moving there in January. I figured that's why your name was 'frip', haha.

There for 14 years or so. Enjoy it. Some good times to be had and a great place to live.

Prices out there are better now, it used to be 10,000 yen + for a new full price board! Madness.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

foureyedjim

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »
supply/demand
marketing
cost of raw materials
cost of production
wage fluctuation (workers and riders)
competition
hype
etc. etc.

Some factors impact pricing more than others, but all factors play a role in the final pricing model.

This is why I hate economics.  I would rather deal with multi-variable calculus lol

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:10 AM »
I honestly dont think skate shoes have gotten more or less expensive in the last decade, but i have noticed that the initial price has stayed in the $85-$115 range for Nike, DC, Adidas, Emerica...I noticed prices drop fairly fast too though with companies, Kostons and BA's dropped to btwn 50-75 within 2 months of their release. ? Contrary to DGKalis's comment i dont necessarily think the new technology warrants the price tag all the time it depends on the shoe, i also dont think all the new technology is any better or lasts longer than shoes of 5/10 yrs ago...The kids in my neighborhood are skating the Nyjah shoe, and Mike Mo shoes they didnt seem to last longer than anything ive seen before (they had a legit hole in like 2 months) and those shoes are 80/90 bucks? I remember having Mantecca 2s and DC Pures in like 07/08 lasting me 4 months or so (Manteccas took forever to break in though) havent owned DCs in years though...I have Janoskis and Koston 2s and BA's..Janoskis are actually really solid they're the 3rd longest lasting shoe i ever had (first being Adidas Culver Mids, second being eS Accels) i recommend buying a size up i got a good 5/6 months though..I skated the BA's for a few weeks no tears or anything definitely worth the money, they look just like they did day one minus salt/snow stains..Koston 2s are too difficult for me to break in since theyre cupsole, so i just walk around in em now...As for the cheaper shoes sometimes they last longer especially if you've owned them in the past since you dont have to do 100 kickflips to break em in or whatever your routine is to assure yourself kinda like skating the same board all the time..Im on my 3rd pair of Globe Motley mids (they're like $40) and skipping the process of breaking em definitely adds to its lifespan. Same went for Hsu's, Though Half Cabs and Etnies Jameson's have been the shortest lasting shoes ive owned ever (2 weeks?) in the same price range
Had the Jameson 2 from etnies, and I seriously think it's one of the most underates shoe ever.

foureyedjim

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:40 AM »
This seems unreasonable and kind of stupid, but it'd be cool to see some transparency in skate companies.  We all know how shady big business can be when it comes to where their money goes and where it comes from. 

I'd be glad to support shoe/board/etc. companies if I had a rough idea of how much profit they are making, how much riders are payed, where money is allocated, etc.  I'm already pretty invested in this whole skateboarding thing so I have no qualms about supporting companies even if their products aren't as high tech as nike and adidas, just as long as I can get behind their business practices.  Price is not an issue for me (I know for some of you, this is important in what shoes you purchase), I would rather get behind companies I know are in it for the skating and not just as a business.  I had a few nike shoes in the past but I think I'm kind of over it.  Just started skating lakai's and they're not as expensive but just as good and longevity is not an issue.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I honestly dont think skate shoes have gotten more or less expensive in the last decade, but i have noticed that the initial price has stayed in the $85-$115 range for Nike, DC, Adidas, Emerica...I noticed prices drop fairly fast too though with companies, Kostons and BA's dropped to btwn 50-75 within 2 months of their release. ? Contrary to DGKalis's comment i dont necessarily think the new technology warrants the price tag all the time it depends on the shoe, i also dont think all the new technology is any better or lasts longer than shoes of 5/10 yrs ago...The kids in my neighborhood are skating the Nyjah shoe, and Mike Mo shoes they didnt seem to last longer than anything ive seen before (they had a legit hole in like 2 months) and those shoes are 80/90 bucks? I remember having Mantecca 2s and DC Pures in like 07/08 lasting me 4 months or so (Manteccas took forever to break in though) havent owned DCs in years though...I have Janoskis and Koston 2s and BA's..Janoskis are actually really solid they're the 3rd longest lasting shoe i ever had (first being Adidas Culver Mids, second being eS Accels) i recommend buying a size up i got a good 5/6 months though..I skated the BA's for a few weeks no tears or anything definitely worth the money, they look just like they did day one minus salt/snow stains..Koston 2s are too difficult for me to break in since theyre cupsole, so i just walk around in em now...As for the cheaper shoes sometimes they last longer especially if you've owned them in the past since you dont have to do 100 kickflips to break em in or whatever your routine is to assure yourself kinda like skating the same board all the time..Im on my 3rd pair of Globe Motley mids (they're like $40) and skipping the process of breaking em definitely adds to its lifespan. Same went for Hsu's, Though Half Cabs and Etnies Jameson's have been the shortest lasting shoes ive owned ever (2 weeks?) in the same price range
[close]
Had the Jameson 2 from etnies, and I seriously think it's one of the most underates shoe ever.

I had those in purple they were comfortable and all but i started seeing wear day one, maybe it was the material? sometimes its getting the right colorway/material.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I honestly dont think skate shoes have gotten more or less expensive in the last decade, but i have noticed that the initial price has stayed in the $85-$115 range for Nike, DC, Adidas, Emerica...I noticed prices drop fairly fast too though with companies, Kostons and BA's dropped to btwn 50-75 within 2 months of their release. ?? Contrary to DGKalis's comment i dont necessarily think the new technology warrants the price tag all the time it depends on the shoe, i also dont think all the new technology is any better or lasts longer than shoes of 5/10 yrs ago...The kids in my neighborhood are skating the Nyjah shoe, and Mike Mo shoes they didnt seem to last longer than anything ive seen before (they had a legit hole in like 2 months) and those shoes are 80/90 bucks? I remember having Mantecca 2s and DC Pures in like 07/08 lasting me 4 months or so (Manteccas took forever to break in though) havent owned DCs in years though...I have Janoskis and Koston 2s and BA's..Janoskis are actually really solid they're the 3rd longest lasting shoe i ever had (first being Adidas Culver Mids, second being eS Accels) i recommend buying a size up i got a good 5/6 months though..I skated the BA's for a few weeks no tears or anything definitely worth the money, they look just like they did day one minus salt/snow stains..Koston 2s are too difficult for me to break in since theyre cupsole, so i just walk around in em now...As for the cheaper shoes sometimes they last longer especially if you've owned them in the past since you dont have to do 100 kickflips to break em in or whatever your routine is to assure yourself kinda like skating the same board all the time..Im on my 3rd pair of Globe Motley mids (they're like $40) and skipping the process of breaking em definitely adds to its lifespan. Same went for Hsu's, Though Half Cabs and Etnies Jameson's have been the shortest lasting shoes ive owned ever (2 weeks?) in the same price range
[close]
[close]

I had those in purple they were comfortable and all but i started seeing wear day one, maybe it was the material? sometimes its getting the right colorway/material.
True, moreover the Jameson 1 and 2 have slightly different designs

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image

Wayne Regretzky

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Maybe you should shop around?

I'm currently running the following skate shoes:

- 32.50 Nike Project BA's
- 26.50 Supra S1W
- 45.00 Converse Star Player
- 15.00 Vans Half-Cabs (blacked out)
- 15.00 Vans Half-Cabs (black w/ white sole)

I'm skating the Half-Cabs right now but when I see a deal I jump on it. I'll probably never wear the Supra's because they feel shitty and they've been sitting around the house for like 2 months collecting dust as well as the blacked out Cabs(they're next in line). I just picked up the Project BA's yesterday. I walk the dogs in my Cons. I've been skating Half-Cabs as of lately only because they never disappoint but only have a lifespan of 3 1/2 weeks.

Skate shops aren't even skate shops anymore. They are more like shoe stores that sell boards and with that I say, "Fuck your local shop." Most every shop I step into it's like they try and "Cool Guy" me so fuck them. However I did have a good experience at ATLAS. Those dudes are tight. Shop Atlas.

You guys must be buying shoes for the name or just to say you got them first or whatevs. If you skate a shoe and you like it then keep skating it. Most shoes are all the same. You have like 3 different soles to choose from by each company. The rest of the shoe is just a name and a toe-cap(which most shoes today don't even have one).

For the most part a shoe will not make you skate better. If you suck then you suck. If you're buying a shoe because of some Pro's name then you're a kook.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:21 AM »

- 26.50 Supra S1W

I'm skating the Half-Cabs right now but when I see a deal I jump on it. I'll probably never wear the Supra's because they feel shitty and they've been sitting around the house for like 2 months collecting dust as well as the blacked out Cabs(they're next in line). I just picked up the Project BA's yesterday. I walk the dogs in my Cons. I've been skating Half-Cabs as of lately only because they never disappoint but only have a lifespan of 3 1/2 weeks.

Skate shops aren't even skate shops anymore. They are more like shoe stores that sell boards and with that I say, "Fuck your local shop." Most every shop I step into it's like they try and "Cool Guy" me so fuck them. However I did have a good experience at ATLAS. Those dudes are tight. Shop Atlas.

You guys must be buying shoes for the name or just to say you got them first or whatevs. If you skate a shoe and you like it then keep skating it. Most shoes are all the same. You have like 3 different soles to choose from by each company. The rest of the shoe is just a name and a toe-cap(which most shoes today don't even have one).

For the most part a shoe will not make you skate better. If you suck then you suck. If you're buying a shoe because of some Pro's name then you're a kook.

I remember buying my first actual name brand skate shoes (globes) back in 6th grade because I got honor roll and I swear I was ollieing higher, but then again I was about 11 so what the hell did I know...

Shoes do make a slight difference though, can't pretend like they don't

I feel like shoes aren't really more expensive nor much cheaper, there's just a LOT more options then there used to be, before you had like 5 models from a company ranging from like 50ish-90 bones and if you're lucky they'd have one for about 40 but it was a really simple looking shoe (that would possibly fare better today than the 00s because everything was all tech'd out with stupid shit (ie the D3)) that noone wanted to buy really, but now you'll have about 8 models for a season/collection and half of them will be about 40-60 with  a few top dollar ones and a few around 30 bucks so it kind of evens out

Plus I feel like there's more sales and bargains for shoes now more than ever too, the niche for lifestyle shoes in skate culture has also been tapped into, half of the pro models supra bangs out would be ideal for chilling more so than skating which is why I'm sure they come with that hefty price tag

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »

- 26.50 Supra S1W

I kinda agree alot of shops are shoes stores but there are shops that are really shops, but if the person(s) running it are tight and the lights stay on with shoe money thats dope support them when you can.

I also disagree some shoes completely make the sesh for you...For some reason with Koston 2s i can somehow ollie higher, i might be able to get over a standing trash can in those, too bad they're not always the most comfortable...The soles ARE all atleast slightly diff and the shoe itself also varies (stitch pattern, material, etc).

#2Chinz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
Kalis, you talkin' about these?:

$179 CAD at my shop in '01 or '02. Yeah, I bought them. I think they went on sale for $139 CAD, but they lasted basically an entire season. Shoes back then were generally over $100 CAD unless they were severely on sale. Now I pay $40-70 CAD/month on various vans, hufs and lakais if I'm skating a lot - usually on sale, but in the long run you're right, despite taking a while to break in they lasted longer and therefore cost less.