Author Topic: SWISS CERAMICS  (Read 4689 times)

littlefuckboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
SWISS CERAMICS
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
ARE BONES SWISSARAMICS WORTH IT? IDK IF I SHOULD GET THEM FOR MY TRANNY SETUP

m477

• Rep: 7
Re: SWISS CERAMICS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Only worth it if you clean them regularly.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »
^ I just got some Super Swiss Six Balls and was wondering how often, and how exactly should I clean them? Thanks in advance.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:25 AM »
^ I just got some Super Swiss Six Balls and was wondering how often, and how exactly should I clean them? Thanks in advance.
ive had my set for 4 years. i clean them once every two months with the bones cleaning kit. I do that cause I'm super OCD about it. I've gone 2 years without cleaning them before, but they roll better after you do the maintenance! ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:27:10 AM by tony volume »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:31:23 AM »
how exactly should I clean them?
First, I throw them in a zip lock bag (shields off) with some isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol 90%+ and shake them up to free up the dirt. Then, I rinse them in warm water, and blow dry them. Finally, one drop of clipper oil (or speed cream) in each one and I'm g2g
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:33:18 AM by Firebert »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
First, I throw them in a zip lock bag (shields off) with some isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol 90%+ and shake them up to free up the dirt. Then, I rinse them in warm water, and blow dry them. Finally, one drop of clipper oil (or speed cream) in each one and I'm g2g

water and bearings is a big no no.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »

everything you need to know.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »

thanks that actually helped.  I used to manually get a old rag and get the dirt off of my bearing as much as possible drown em in speed cream then shake the excess off.  I feel so dumb doing that.

littlefuckboy

• Rep: -39
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

that dude is a k00k. take no advice from k00kz

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
that dude is a k00k. take no advice from k00kz

says the guy whos posts could totally be confused for tracer's.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:15:07 AM »
Are ceramics harder to break? I'd be worried that I'd still break 'em because the races are still metal. Shorty's has those all ceramic White Panthers but I think they're like $300, and I'm probably never going to buy anything besides Reds anyway.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 06:44:18 AM »
Are ceramics harder to break? I'd be worried that I'd still break 'em because the races are still metal. Shorty's has those all ceramic White Panthers but I think they're like $300, and I'm probably never going to buy anything besides Reds anyway.

at least bump up to super reds. theyre pretty close to swiss quality from my experience and only a few bucks more expensive than reds. well worth it.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Use 100% acetone, cleans much better and evaporates quickly.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
I get new china reds every new set of wheels because I hate getting my hands dirty....

mfkream

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »

I kind of love this bro. I think this is what happens if you never ruin your life with drugs and alcohol... not saying I'd rather be him than me but he seems to have it figured out.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:56:23 AM by We Like Mike Carroll »

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

at least bump up to super reds. theyre pretty close to swiss quality from my experience and only a few bucks more expensive than reds. well worth it.

I feel like the super reds get shitty really quickly.. Get white box swiss and you'll roll for years without cleaning them

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 11:38:04 PM »
Use this or make one:
http://cdn.bonesbearings.com/skin/frontend/soc/bonesbearings/images/bones-bearings-cleaning-unit-lg.jpg
Then go and buy a good quality citrus cleaner from a bike shop.
Put the bearings in . Shake, shake, shake.Wipe all the grime off. Let them dry and then lube with speed cream.
I do this every so often, maybe once a year / every 6 months.
Swiss last forever. I'd say usually 2 years +.
Can't comment on the ceramics as regular, 6 ball etc have always been fast enough for me...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
I get new china reds every new set of wheels because I hate getting my hands dirty....

I hate those bearings, every set I get lasts about month.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

thats why you blowdry them numbnuts

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

thats why you blowdry them numbnuts

Yeah if u blodry them quick enough after they get removed theyr gonna be fine
#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ive had my set for 4 years. i clean them once every two months with the bones cleaning kit. I do that cause I'm super OCD about it. I've gone 2 years without cleaning them before, but they roll better after you do the maintenance! ;D
I second this. Except, I've had mine for 3.5 years and I haven't cleaned them once.
After about around six to twelve months, they started to slow a bit. So, I popped the shields off and I have had zero trouble since then.

BUT to answer OP, I think that the original Swiss and/or the Six Ball swiss all that you really need to buy. A friend of mine had a pair of the ceramics in high school and they literally exploded from low impact. Even on tranny, I wouldn't fuck around with the ceramic bearings.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:18:16 PM by DeputyDoses »

Dead Art Collective

• Rep: -6
    • Dead Artist Collective avatar image
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:24 PM »
Clean them in nail polish remover or an acidic cleaner and then apply speed cream once a month but you can get away with every two. Cleaning all really depends on how much you skate and what you are skating in. If you only skate parks you can probably go longer. Overall the Super Swiss 6 are great bearings I skate 5 times a week and I have had mine for a year and only broken 1 bearing due to slip axle. If you are continually breaking cheap bearings its a purchase to consider
Wasting my life writing a blog for no one about everything
www.deadartistcollective.com

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
Unless you're a downhill slalom racer it's not worth the pricetag. 6 balls are 1/3 the price and are made for street skating. I haven't broke a single one out of 6-7 sets over the years, you don't even need to clean them.. Although you probably should every once in a while to get the maximum

Tay

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »

In my experience, no. I owned a set of Swiss ceramics for ~6 months. In one week four exploded, freeing my tiny 70 dollars balls in all directions. No fun.

I hope others luck with them, but for me I'm inclined to ride reds now.   

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
I currently have one setup with bones swiss that I've had for 4 years, no shields and only cleaned once. Second setup has ceramic reds, 2 years no shields no cleanings. Both sets feel exactly the same, I'd say swiss are the way to go.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
Never cleaned a set of bearings in my life. Probably why I can't bring myself to spend more than 25 bucks on em.  No sense in making an investment I won't take care of.