Author Topic: Yoga/Pilates  (Read 2435 times)

GeorgeHanson

Yoga/Pilates
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
I feel like these exercises would be beneficial for skateboarding aswell as life in general. Thinking of starting it up.
Anyone on this radical message board do any of these?

If so, which one do you think is better.

Have you got laid from your classes?

How do you hide your boner in sweatpants/trakkies with hot yoga women in front of you doing the downward dog?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:07:42 PM by George Hanson »

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Yoga/Pilates
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
I feel like these exercises would be beneficial for skateboarding aswell as life in general. Thinking of starting it up.
Anyone on this radical message board do any of these?

yes.

If so, which one do you think is better.

yoga, because it's relaxing, too. pilates is more like exercise.

Have you got laid from your classes?

no, not directly, but i was with my wife before i ever started going to yoga.

How do you hide your boner in sweatpants/trakkies with hot yoga women in front of you doing the downward dog?

unless you're 14 this shouldn't be a problem, besides, it's not just hot yoga women that go to classes.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

A side benefit of doing a lot of yoga is the ability to hide your boner in your own mouth. 

dillanharp

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
I bought this DVD a few days ago, going to try it before I commit to a class, though they probably has nothing in common.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
^That dude looks like Kien Lieu

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
I would be less worried about a boner, and more worried about farting really loudly. I think both would happen if I tried yoga, maybe within seconds of each other.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »
I'm hyper mobile meaning my joints are too lose and I dislocate easier than is healthy so yoga is not a good thing for me and I've met several people with this problem. I still do some yoga stretches in the morning but a proper yoga session could be hazardous for me. Pilates is more beneficial for me as it strengthens core muscles and synergist muscles that you can't hit with a regular workout.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »
If you're not meditating, being vegetarian, drinking your own piss and all that other shit you're not really doing yoga you're just stretching.

Which is probably all you need anyway.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 06:31:25 AM »
The problem with yoga is that it takes a long time and when you're done you didn't come close to actually breaking a sweat.  Stretch for ten minutes and then go run/ skate/ play some sports.  Seems more useful.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
I think swimming is better than yoga

It seems to achieve everything yoga does but more. It's easy on the joints, burns a ton of calories, great stress reliever etc.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »
I think swimming is better than yoga

It seems to achieve everything yoga does but more. It's easy on the joints, burns a ton of calories, great stress reliever etc.

Don't forget that it's also a lot more rewarding to release brown trout at the natatorium than it is a yoga mat.  You can make it everyone else's problem instead of having to spend 45 minutes staring at it from different angles.

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A side benefit of doing a lot of yoga is the ability to hide your boner in your own mouth.? 
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

A side benefit of doing a lot of yoga is the ability to hide your boner in your own mouth.? 
[close]

or this...

K

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
I have done both and I think Pilates is better than yoga....likem yoga increases your flexibility, but is still based on contorting your body into a bunch of unnatural positions.... pilates mostly focuses on leg strength, which is the thing that disippates the most when you get old. I have been using this book:

foureyedjim

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

or this...

K

hmm looks like some contraption rusty whipped up

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 06:40:15 AM »
Bump.
Has anyone tried aerial yoga?
A mate teaches it and wants me to try it, it looks like a laugh.
Any actual benefits?
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 08:25:20 AM »
Yoga helps me keep skating.
Cocteau Twins

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 01:46:03 AM »
I regularly sit at a desk for school and i started to feel discomfort in my back this past year. Doing yoga consistently makes the discomfort disappear entirely. Its also pretty mindful to do in general. I just use the yoga with adrienne guides in my living room.

I'm not really old enough that my knees have gone to shit. But I imagine if it can work for back pains it's probs good for skate injuries.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 06:53:12 AM »
I regularly sit at a desk for school and i started to feel discomfort in my back this past year. Doing yoga consistently makes the discomfort disappear entirely. Its also pretty mindful to do in general. I just use the yoga with adrienne guides in my living room.

I'm not really old enough that my knees have gone to shit. But I imagine if it can work for back pains it's probs good for skate injuries.

For my back, I use a medicine ball and basically play catch (against a wall) with a basketball. Each toss, I lean backward over the medicine ball at a slightly different angle to stretch it and build strength in it. It seems to work so far

cky enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 07:09:21 AM »
yoga rules. helps me w/ pop and a million underlying
health issues from manual labor. i do about an hour a day, 30min in the morning 30min at night.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »
I don't know about the benefits of Aerial yoga- the only folks I've known to do it are circus or dance types.

Yoga in general can be really great, and I think it can fuck people up if they're going too hard, have an uninformed teacher, and push harder than the joints/muscles/fascia can take at any given time.

For what it's worth, I'm considered a 500 hour Certified Yoga Teacher, which means I've spent a lot of time and energy practicing and learning anatomy, fascia, about body types, theories, mindfulness. In my opinion, from working with and watching many body types, it's important to mix dynamic and static stretching, passive stretching with strength building stretch/activities if possible.

for my body, yoga alone isn't enough and is actually kind of detrimental because, if not running or cycling, I lose muscle and end up putting too much wear on the joints when trying to hold a pose. I promised some PALS a short video on foot maintenance/care, and if y'all are interested I can whip one up for the thoracic spine downward in a restorative tradition. Pelvic movement is sooooo crucial to our well being.

stay loose y'all.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
^^

this is all good info except cycling doesn’t build muscle really, especially if you’re already doing it on top of skating. when i was still racing bikes i was in the gym 2x on top of my training regiment on the bike for that exact reason. it’s too static of a motion and your body isn’t doing much load bearing (which is why it’s still a prime old people activity).

source: bike courier/racer for 10 ish years, current bike shop employee

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »
^^

this is all good info except cycling doesn’t build muscle really, especially if you’re already doing it on top of skating. when i was still racing bikes i was in the gym 2x on top of my training regiment on the bike for that exact reason. it’s too static of a motion and your body isn’t doing much load bearing (which is why it’s still a prime old people activity).

I should be more specific in noting the difference between strengthening v building muscle. riding an exercise bike or cruiser ala old people activity is great for lubrication and a stretch and certainly not working on building much if any muscle. Of course gears also make the machine do the work.

In speaking of my physical needs, I've ridden fixed for the past 13 years, minus 5 due to an unrelated neck injury, and in riding as a primary mode of transportation I've found it to be a complete body work out, with trunk coming in on the climb. I've never been stronger/leaner than when practicing Hatha yoga 4x week and riding 30+ miles 6 days/week on the fixie. But then maybe, with my focus on solely on endurance, rather than speed, which i imagine is crucial for messenger/racer, I'm seeing a different outcome. Not tryna argue right or wrong, just speaking my experience.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 02:31:51 PM »
Expand Quote
^^

[close]

I should be more specific in noting the difference between strengthening v building muscle. riding an exercise bike or cruiser ala old people activity is great for lubrication and a stretch and certainly not working on building much if any muscle. Of course gears also make the machine do the work.

In speaking of my physical needs, I've ridden fixed for the past 13 years, minus 5 due to an unrelated neck injury, and in riding as a primary mode of transportation I've found it to be a complete body work out, with trunk coming in on the climb. I've never been stronger/leaner than when practicing Hatha yoga 4x week and riding 30+ miles 6 days/week on the fixie. But then maybe, with my focus on solely on endurance, rather than speed, which i imagine is crucial for messenger/racer, I'm seeing a different outcome. Not tryna argue right or wrong, just speaking my experience.

yes and no.. cycling (fixed included- i rode a fixed for a decent chunk of my time on the road as a courier) doesn’t engage your hamstrings or work your core. not that’s it’s gonna be an issue if you’re doing hatha that much, but i’d recommend running over cycling if you’re looking to work your whole body as opposed to just your cardiovascular system. w/ the added bonus of not losing bone density like you do on a bike. similarly not trying to argue and obviously not trying to diss cycling, but it’s not a 1:1 with running like a lot of people think- ride a bike for a year and then go for a 3 mile run, your body will be screaming from lack of dealing with impact.

as a side note- this is why racing cyclists have to train 12-15 hour weeks at a minimum to gain fitness and break their collarbones like 2 times a decade.

sleepyguy824

• Rep: -1
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 10:58:44 AM »
Found this website for yoga for skaters. No affiliation. Just passing on the info.

https://www.thedailypush.com/skate-yoga

The stretch at the 5:51 mark is so good. you'll feel it.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »
Bikram during the polar vortex for the win!

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »
I started doing this one pretty often around the time I worked for a FedEx warehouse due to it being physically taxing, but then I also started using it before I'd go skate since it only takes about 20 minutes.

However I just noticed this routine specifically for skaters from the same channel, might give it a try later on.