Author Topic: Non-English letters  (Read 124 times)

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Non-English letters
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »
Why is this forum not showing non-English letters? I honestly haven't ever seen that before. Is there a way to fix this?

In my eyes, it's a major pet peeve for the following reasons:

a) Skateboarding is a global phenomenon. A lot of skaters and cities around the world have non-English letters in them.
b) Slap seems to have a large number of posters coming from non-English-speaking countries. Not all of them realize Slap doesn't show non-English letters and will type them regardless (see e.g. "Jorge Sim?es" in "PHOTOS/VIDEOS). "?" in the middle of names looks stupid and is often confusing.
c) It is equally confusing to see names spelled wrong and with English letters only. Especially if you're a native speaker (or speak the respective language in general). It's not spelled "Cuatro Suenos Pequenos" and that Euro gut is equally not called "Mark Frolich". That fucks up the word's pronunciation and makes it look equally stupid as a question mark.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong branch to complain about this (feel free to move this thread) and I'm sorry if I come off as a smartass, but this almost freaks me out everytime.

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Non-English letters
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
it's probably just you because I can type Chinese just fine: 我会说中文

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shark tits

Re: Non-English letters
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
somebody teach me how to write a backwards R like in tetris