Author Topic: Moving to New Jersey: Interested in Skate Scene in NYC, NJ, Philly. Gen Info Too  (Read 4185 times)

JLay24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Slap Pals! So this upcoming June I am moving from Oklahoma to Northern New Jersey around the Newark area. I'm super pumped about it. I was just curious if anybody could give me the lowdown on what the skate scene is like up in NYC, NJ, and Philly. I've never been to the east coast before, so I'm super pumped to check everything out.

I'll also be staying in Philadelphia for a month and living at Temple University before I fully move into NJ. Does anybody have any spot info or general info about Temple?

Any advice on living out there, things to check out, skate spots, legit skate shops, etc. anything in general about those surrounding areas would be awesome to know.

Thanks guys!

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
First off, God hates New Jersey. The skate scene is aight though with so much shit crammed together. Way too many people in that neck of the woods

JLay24

Leaving from Oklahoma this Thursday. Thought I'd bump the thread. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
Where the New Jersey skate spots? I’m here from FL I’m close to curbside skate shop

Coolhats

Where the New Jersey skate spots? I’m here from FL I’m close to curbside skate shop

We all just go to Philly. It’s 15 minutes from curbside and a lot more fun.

thebacker

Cecil, if you’re living at temple is the best place to hangout and skate

fs overkrook

8th and poplar is underneath a bridge and mainly built by some locals but more recently 5th pocket. To be honest I’m not sure if it’s still there but it would be worth check out because there’s a ledge spot over there too.

Coolhats

8th and poplar is underneath a bridge and mainly built by some locals but more recently 5th pocket. To be honest I’m not sure if it’s still there but it would be worth check out because there’s a ledge spot over there too.

It’s still there. Technically we’re not allowed to skate the ledges at the rec center anymore. It’s part of the conditions to keep the actual park going. There are some parks in NJ like Pennsauken, maple shade, Camden, Medford. Street spots are few and far between. It’s alk a decent drive between anything worth messing around on. I’ll try to come up with some and post them on here.

bigmike

• Rep: 11
5th pocket philly parks. Whitehall, granahan, mccreesh, and the Foundry and Wharton St (both indoor parks). 9th and poplar is a cool DIY. Paines is trash but has some really fun spots nearby at the art museum. There's a municipal skateboards video all filmed outside the art museum

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
5th pocket philly parks. Whitehall, granahan, mccreesh, and the Foundry and Wharton St (both indoor parks). 9th and poplar is a cool DIY. Paines is trash but has some really fun spots nearby at the art museum. There's a municipal skateboards video all filmed outside the art museum

Whitehall is still poppin’? Good to hear. It’s a bit out of the way from center city but fine if you have a car.

Pop’s park is my favorite in Philly. I think the people behind Pop’s built Whitehall, but with a car you can hit both in a day.

thebacker

Expand Quote
[close]

Whitehall is still poppin’? Good to hear. It’s a bit out of the way from center city but fine if you have a car.

Pop’s park is my favorite in Philly. I think the people behind Pop’s built Whitehall, but with a car you can hit both in a day.

whitehall just got injected with steroids, still VERY sketchy there so just be careful at night

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
For a guide on the main NYC spots

https://quartersnacks.com/spots/

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
If you ever come to south jersey there’s a pretty sick little diy spot

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
In Philly:

If you are staying at Temple then Cecil is fun and 8th and Poplar is not super far from there and has some great stuff. On the Broad st subway line from Temple, you can head South and hit Municipal building and FDR park and some ledges on broad st a bit North of FDR.

Center city is fun for the normal big spots, but there are also tons of small spots in the alleys all over the place if you are into exploring and spot hunting. This is really true of the whole city but its a little easier to do this in CC.

If you are driving/biking or in for a longer cruise you can hit Pops skatepark in Kensington which is a fun, smaller park. If you go after 12 its pretty often got bike kids/teens sitting around taking up space or riding in endless circles blocking stuff, but week days before 12 doesn’t seem as bad. Everyone is pretty friendly there.

Paines is also fun. Its got a weird downhill slope to the whole thing and some weird gaps in the ground that are easy to get caught in, but otherwise there is a ton of fun stuff there and everyone is generally pretty cool there.

I haven’t been to Gray’s ferry park or Whitehall yet, but I’ve heard they are fun too. Same with the indoor spots like the Foundry and the Wharton street spot.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Damn, I just saw this thread was from 2014
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:21:30 AM by Sundaynuggets »

Sundaynuggets

I haven’t skated in Jersey since the mid 90’s but I still see the same spots around on instagram. The Fountain in Princeton and those brick banks in downtown Trenton were always fun. I remember there being some smaller fun spots in Trenton to spot hunt, but it really isn’t the kind of place you want to go wandering around if you don’t know the area and have people with you. (Or at least it wasn’t back then, might be different now).

Sundaynuggets

Expand Quote
I haven’t skated in Jersey since the mid 90’s but I still see the same spots around on instagram. The Fountain in Princeton and those brick banks in downtown Trenton were always fun. I remember there being some smaller fun spots in Trenton to spot hunt, but it really isn’t the kind of place you want to go wandering around if you don’t know the area and have people with you. (Or at least it wasn’t back then, might be different now).
[close]

Princeton fountain is done. that shit was out of hand. Even the top of the benches got waxed. It got knobbed and fenced for probably something that can’t be skated. Or the same thing that they did in 2002 when the put in the new plaza.

Trenton is tight but Squid got mugged there so keep your head up but Kensington is way more gnarly than Trenton like around PR park.

There are these banks in Trenton that I never skated but Fred has a few tricks at and they are in a courtyard of a building complex that skaters are not welcome. Everyone knows the rail that Hot Wax killed back in the dzay. Word.

Edit: here is James P hitting Trenton hard:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3sgge7

Damn, amazing clip! Those brick banks used to terrify me lol. It’s a shame the Fountain got taken out, I used to love that spot but it looks like the round edge bench, the four stair with the ledge and the big stairs are still around!

Haha, yeah Kensington is rough for sure, but it’s like they say about “the devil you know”. I haven’t been to Trenton in so long I would have no idea even where anything is anymore.

Sundaynuggets

Gall and company in the danger zone in Trenton. Sex, Money, Murder don't stop Fred from a drop in from nose:

Oh nice! Those are the banks in the courtyard of the building complex you were talking about?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
In PA. Plenty of pals in Philadelphia and NJ. Interested in skating an indoor bowl? I got a key to one in Lancaster, PA.

shitdick22

Cut that shit saying skip jersey and go to philly or nyc. Newark has one of the best ledge spots in the world. Start at peach ledges (at the light rail and bus stop on broad) and skate south down toward the iron bound. There are spots all over the city. Head up the hill toward the universities and theres plenty to skate there too. Also make sure to cross 280 over toward branch brook park. Hole bowl is up on park ave next to the speedway. Park at the kfc and you'll be good to skate all day. Besides newark, jersey city, trenton, princeton (fountain is still capped rn i believe) and elizebeth all have hidden gems all over the place. Jersey's a sick place with a growing scene and deserves more recognition than it gets.

craig_midnight

• Rep: -2
Cut that shit saying skip jersey and go to philly or nyc. Newark has one of the best ledge spots in the world. Start at peach ledges (at the light rail and bus stop on broad) and skate south down toward the iron bound. There are spots all over the city. Head up the hill toward the universities and theres plenty to skate there too. Also make sure to cross 280 over toward branch brook park. Hole bowl is up on park ave next to the speedway. Park at the kfc and you'll be good to skate all day. Besides newark, jersey city, trenton, princeton (fountain is still capped rn i believe) and elizebeth all have hidden gems all over the place. Jersey's a sick place with a growing scene and deserves more recognition than it gets.

In Elizabeth now, prefer whitehall or pops. Too old to be going to spots unless I got all day there. Which there are plenty of spots like that though. Midtown NYC got some, but would probably rather hitup Annvan park in Flemington. Peach ledges and Roselle Park are my go to's.

Any NJ brethen ever want to shred it up....holla

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Gall and company in the danger zone in Trenton. Sex, Money, Murder don't stop Fred from a drop in from nose:

Wait where is this spot? And just how sketchy is it and do you get kicked out.

fs overkrook

In PA. Plenty of pals in Philadelphia and NJ. Interested in skating an indoor bowl? I got a key to one in Lancaster, PA.
Best bowl

alright

Expand Quote
[close]
Best bowl

What's the deal with that bowl. Lived in lancaster my whole life and I've never been there. Not even trying to go, just wondering the story behind it. Do a few people own the spot or is one person the owner?