Author Topic: Knees.  (Read 31275 times)

TooManyPros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 59
Re: Knees.
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
Cycling for sure helps. I’ve been out more since it got warmer lately

I used to just skate to all the spots/parks (or drive) but yeah, now that it's warmer, I ride my bike and by the time I get there I'm all warmed up and good to go.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2022, 02:47:11 AM »
bumping this. skated really hard for 3 days in a row and my knees have been pissed for like 4 days. might start stretching and maybe just do a mandatory rest day after every sesh. i have some bike parts i've been lazy to put together; should probably get started on that.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »
If you cycle a lot (which I highly recommend) bear in mind it can tighten things up, so continue to stretch when you can. Also, hydrate and eat less inflammatory shite.... I'm writing this for my own benefit as much as anyone else...

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2022, 10:42:15 AM »
Compression gun to my I.T. band usually frees up my knee pain for a bit

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2022, 08:35:51 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread but footprint gamechangers insoles have saved my knees for sure. I couldn't walk down the stairs before without my knees hurting a little.

Also shock pad is really nice for the cruiser, maybe even the main setup if necessary. I didn't notice any difference in height with the 1/8th ones except a deeper turn. I like independent shock as they're pretty soft

jdholmes

• Rep: 4
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2022, 11:50:02 PM »
For those taking glucosamine tablets, I noticed there are a few out there. Between Glucosamine Sulfate and Glucosamine Chondroitin I'm not sure which would be better as someone in their late 20s. Been reading up lots on it but there are so many varying opinions between the 2 types of supplements that I'm just curious what people with knee issues who actually skate are taking specifically. Glucosamine tablets are mentioned alot throughout this thread so wondering what types you guys are taking that are actually showing results.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2022, 05:38:14 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread but footprint gamechangers insoles have saved my knees for sure. I couldn't walk down the stairs before without my knees hurting a little.

Also shock pad is really nice for the cruiser, maybe even the main setup if necessary. I didn't notice any difference in height with the 1/8th ones except a deeper turn. I like independent shock as they're pretty soft

I literally just realized that I've been running some halfcsbs without my fp's since they're a half size too small. You're a genius.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2022, 05:31:35 AM »
Glucosamine has been mentioned but I am taking collagen now and even after a week of taking it, my knees are less angry. I’m about to turn 46 and I am a heavy dude.

I also like high-fives and strong coffee. 

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2022, 06:41:04 AM »
After largely getting away with it for 20 odd years, I've joined old-man knee club.

Around the end of November I kinda skated myself out - did 22 days over the course of the month, and on the last day my back leg and knee just lost all power, no real specific injury aside from the usual bonks and board kisses. A couple days after this my knee felt pretty spongey after walking, and over the course of December it would alternate between this spongey feeling and occasionally catching/partially locking when walking around. The catching is always on the outside of my knee, feels like it's just behind/next to the kneecap, rather than the entire knee joint locking up.

I saw my physio who was able to rule out ligament tears or damage, but he wasn't able to actually tell me what the problem was.

It gradually tapered off and was pretty much OK by the start of Jan, so I started walking and skating more, and basically forgot about it, until my knee locked and caught when i was out shopping this last weekend... so whatever I thought was healed, apparently isn't. It locked up a few more times over the past couple days - ironically it's when walking or stepping - skating on it has actually felt relatively OK.

I wondered whether it was a meniscus tear but I've had minimal/no swelling throughout, and even when it catches/locks it's more uncomfortable/unnatural than actually painful.

NHS is a no-go as it'll take forever to get scanned due to covid backlogs, and i'm not really feeling like paying to go private. Anyone else experienced similar?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2022, 06:49:45 AM »

These two exercises and swimming helped me rehab a sprained knee in under 3 months.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2022, 06:56:10 AM »
Can't believe I posted this thread almost 8 years ago  :o

I still get pains but I remember having a phase of really bad nerve pain when I posted this, and compared to that I feel a lot better now. I make some generally healthier choices these days, but I gotta be honest, I've had great results using CBD oil.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2022, 09:17:45 AM »

Don't go all the way straight like this photo. Especially with heavier weight. I've seen enough fail videos of bad technique which ended in torn knees.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2022, 08:48:56 PM »
After largely getting away with it for 20 odd years, I've joined old-man knee club.

Around the end of November I kinda skated myself out - did 22 days over the course of the month, and on the last day my back leg and knee just lost all power, no real specific injury aside from the usual bonks and board kisses. A couple days after this my knee felt pretty spongey after walking, and over the course of December it would alternate between this spongey feeling and occasionally catching/partially locking when walking around. The catching is always on the outside of my knee, feels like it's just behind/next to the kneecap, rather than the entire knee joint locking up.

I saw my physio who was able to rule out ligament tears or damage, but he wasn't able to actually tell me what the problem was.

It gradually tapered off and was pretty much OK by the start of Jan, so I started walking and skating more, and basically forgot about it, until my knee locked and caught when i was out shopping this last weekend... so whatever I thought was healed, apparently isn't. It locked up a few more times over the past couple days - ironically it's when walking or stepping - skating on it has actually felt relatively OK.

I wondered whether it was a meniscus tear but I've had minimal/no swelling throughout, and even when it catches/locks it's more uncomfortable/unnatural than actually painful.

NHS is a no-go as it'll take forever to get scanned due to covid backlogs, and i'm not really feeling like paying to go private. Anyone else experienced similar?
I have something similar. Made a big clunk/ click sound when I was doing martial arts a year or so ago and it hasn't been the same since. Never had pain or inflammation but I get pseudo-locks and said stance I was doing in martial art is no longer possible.
Doesn't really hit me when I'm skating so it's more of an inconvenience than anything but it weirds me out because sometimes it feels really unstable. Again, no pain or swelling whatsoever, may be worse in the winter but Kim not sure …
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:21:35 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ssNB462

• Rep: -2
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2022, 06:36:09 AM »
The famous knees!! :) :( I feel for anybody going thru the BS.
I've been skating on a torn ACL that was already replaced, and a torn MCL for 2 years. It's been tolerable, but it acts up a lot. I gotta take breaks time to time. I just try not to overdo it, ride my bike a bunch and avoid running.

I definitely need surgery though at some point. The main issue I have is my MCL pops out on certain side to side movements. It won't happen for weeks-months at a time. I was told that continually skating with my knee situation can permanently damage the cartilage.. but I also heard bad stories from older skaters who got multiple ACL replacements.

It's a big game of dice rolling lol.
Boardfeel is a myth
Come back Adio, we miss you

biaherl

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »
I posted this in the Gym Routine's thread. I try to do the first 6 exercises 3 times a week now. My legs are the strongest they've ever been. I folded me knee the wrong way in a split on a bank 2 weeks ago and only felt a little discomfort the next day or two.

If I wasn't doing these exercises I'm certain I would've headed to the hospital

As a 47 year old man with life long knee and hip problems this no equipment workout has done wonders for my knees, hips and ankles. I do this at least once a week mostly twice

Zero
Zero weights needed. Zero equipment needed. Zero need to work through pain. Zero special abilities needed to start. Welcome to Knee Ability Zero. The following formula can be done 3 days per week, ideally Monday-Wednesday-Friday to allow 48 hours recovery between sessions.

WARM-UP: 5-10 MINUTES MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
Reverse Out Knee Pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DeFhaUkl34

LOWER BODY FLOW: MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Step 1: Tibialis Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNS_QjGAs_k

Step 2: FHL Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWedccP0o_U

Step 3: Tibialis Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNS_QjGAs_k

Step 4: KOT Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aMq9W-jDo

Step 5: Patrick Step 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTktLtISKek

Step 6: ATG Split Squat 5 x 5 sets per leg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHHI9l8Zp40

Troubleshooting Split Squats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDSBFSaPvI

Step 7: Elephant Walk 30 reps per leg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGfrD9_Uzs

Step 8: L-Sit 60 second’s total
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LsLLU8yoI

Step 9: Couch Stretch 60 sec. per side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jay0Sd2exg0&t=5s

MOBILITY & UPPER BODY FLOW: TUESDAY-THURSDAY: 1-3 ROUNDS OF EACH

Calf Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdvHhTyRy4&t=2s

Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXu3KvdzBgE

Outer Glute Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWUBL7C8R88

Groin Stretch x 60 Sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGI5FcTsdCE

Inner Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqu3AI4ybZE

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:50 AM »
Doing these now man thanks

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2023, 08:37:54 PM »
Low-key i think I'm developing quadricep tendonitis. There's a point above and on the side of the inner part of my knee cap that feels pain for lunges/exercises. Noticed that i feel it when i set up and bend to pop for tricks.

Trying sprints, jumps, back lunges and what not in an attempt to fix. Maybe do some bulgarian split squats and watch kneesovertoes vids on YouTube. Will update this thread if i ever see results.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2023, 09:19:46 PM »
Low-key i think I'm developing quadricep tendonitis. There's a point above and on the side of the inner part of my knee cap that feels pain for lunges/exercises. Noticed that i feel it when i set up and bend to pop for tricks.

Trying sprints, jumps, back lunges and what not in an attempt to fix. Maybe do some bulgarian split squats and watch kneesovertoes vids on YouTube. Will update this thread if i ever see results.

Rest is best

You probably just have tight quads massage above your knee going east to west back and forth. Get a voodoo strap or innertube, wrap it from top of the knee up and twist it back and forth also do deep squats with it on for a minute or for how long you can stand

rest

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2023, 09:45:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rest is best

You probably just have tight quads massage above your knee going east to west back and forth. Get a voodoo strap or innertube, wrap it from top of the knee up and twist it back and forth also do deep squats with it on for a minute or for how long you can stand

rest

I didn't really injure it and don't skate more than like 4-5 hours a week so i don't think resting will help all that much.

This has been somewhat chronic recently. Tbh it's like at a point above my knee cap where all the tendons attach i think. Its my left leg and I'm regular, maybe when i push there might be too much of a load. Low-key i might have gained like 4 pounds max. Gonna try different strength training routines.

biaherl

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2023, 11:15:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Rest is best

rest
[close]

I didn't really injure it and don't skate more than like 4-5 hours a week so i don't think resting will help all that much.

This has been somewhat chronic recently. Tbh it's like at a point above my knee cap where all the tendons attach i think. Its my left leg and I'm regular, maybe when i push there might be too much of a load. Low-key i might have gained like 4 pounds max. Gonna try different strength training routines.

You have a chronic pain and you don't think resting will help

Understand your anatomy. Your vastus medialis and sartorious are probably over worked from lunges. Regress to a easier version with no weight is another form of resting the muscle and building up it's week links

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2023, 04:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Rest is best

rest
[close]

[close]

You have a chronic pain and you don't think resting will help

Understand your anatomy. Your vastus medialis and sartorious are probably over worked from lunges. Regress to a easier version with no weight is another form of resting the muscle and building up it's week links

Thanks for the diagram and vid. Yeah, I think its the medialis.

I'll do some of those ATG split squats. Thanks a million.