Author Topic: Privilege Test  (Read 8189 times)

sufodiv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: Privilege Test
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
0/100

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »

Expand Quote
So we're going to just keep posting scores and not acknowledge the fact that Rusty wuz raped?
[close]

fuck it.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:58 AM »
"I've never been told I sound white"

yeah, really objective

It's worse to be told "you sound black" if you're white.

dillanharp

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:05 AM »
sleazy's world view:

where being told you sound like an american because YOU ARE AMERICAN AND YOU NO DOUBT HAVE AN AMERICAN ACCENT

is the same as being black and being told 'you sound white'

IN THE SOUTHERN UNITED STATES BEING CALLED A YANK ISN'T THE SAME AS IN AUSTRALIA YOU STUPID KOALA FUCKING CUNT.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 03:49:34 AM »
I think Sleazy was reffering to the time when he was living in Australia.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 04:37:57 AM »
I think a lot of the issue I have with quizzes like this is that it doesn't take class into account.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
yeah i know like where is my white studies class? its pretty racist
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2014, 05:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
I don't understand what your objection to this is. Surely you can understand the impetus for that particular question. How many times have you seen/heard of a black man being praised for "speaking so well", or not talking like "them", or being one of the "good ones"? On the flip side I can tell you that it is very alienating when people of your own race hold it against you for "talking/acting white". It is a distinct disadvantage to be ostracized from your own community while at the same time having to prove yourself to the majority that you're not truly different and a part of the community at large. Let me tell you something. When I call out ignorant worldstar hip hop modern day minstrel show behavior, or so much as understand it's significance, and I am called a "fake ass nigga" for it, it fucking hurts. When a person that I've known for years, but never had a real conversation finally has a talk with me, and his face changes to one of utter surprise because I can express myself without saying nigga ever other sentence, it fucking hurts. When I was in court because I fought off a man who ended up being an "undercover trolley security officer" attacked my brother and falsified his report of the event to the point of making me sound like a '70s pimp/gangster, it fucking hurt. And after the judge perused the report at the arraignment looked at me and immediately assumed I was guilty and called me a wannabe gangsta thug, it fucking hurt.

i get that and it sucks that you have had these experiences. but i think a lot of people of a lot of races are probably complemented on bucking some stereo type. that survey assumes the taker is black and is very narrow. the internet is a global thing, why not make the survey less narrow? how would this work for someone living in india and experiencing the heavy class bigotry that exists there which has nothing to do with color?

and it's laughable that people suggest that it's a white world and there is no bigotry against white people going on. are you going to to go to china and claim it's a white world? haha, wtf... or go to malaysia where my dad lives? does WWII ring any bells when it comes to whites being victims? or ukraine. or white and gay in the US currently.

bigotry is only black and white if you want it to be. it's a big complicated world we live in.

Tay

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
I don't understand what your objection to this is. Surely you can understand the impetus for that particular question. How many times have you seen/heard of a black man being praised for "speaking so well", or not talking like "them", or being one of the "good ones"? On the flip side I can tell you that it is very alienating when people of your own race hold it against you for "talking/acting white". It is a distinct disadvantage to be ostracized from your own community while at the same time having to prove yourself to the majority that you're not truly different and a part of the community at large. Let me tell you something. When I call out ignorant worldstar hip hop modern day minstrel show behavior, or so much as understand it's significance, and I am called a "fake ass nigga" for it, it fucking hurts. When a person that I've known for years, but never had a real conversation finally has a talk with me, and his face changes to one of utter surprise because I can express myself without saying nigga ever other sentence, it fucking hurts. When I was in court because I fought off a man who ended up being an "undercover trolley security officer" attacked my brother and falsified his report of the event to the point of making me sound like a '70s pimp/gangster, it fucking hurt. And after the judge perused the report at the arraignment looked at me and immediately assumed I was guilty and called me a wannabe gangsta thug, it fucking hurt.
[close]

i get that and it sucks that you have had these experiences. but i think a lot of people of a lot of races are probably complemented on bucking some stereo type. that survey assumes the taker is black and is very narrow. the internet is a global thing, why not make the survey less narrow? how would this work for someone living in india and experiencing the heavy class bigotry that exists there which has nothing to do with color?

and it's laughable that people suggest that it's a white world and there is no bigotry against white people going on. are you going to to go to china and claim it's a white world? haha, wtf... or go to malaysia where my dad lives? does WWII ring any bells when it comes to whites being victims? or ukraine. or white and gay in the US currently.

bigotry is only black and white if you want it to be. it's a big complicated world we live in.

I've lived in Baltimore for the last two years, I'm the only white person at work. None of my co-workers have been openly discriminating towards me (despite me being intersexed, and security "ratting" me out). I don't fit in culturally but for the most part people have been very excepting. Much more so than a small 99% white town I used to live in. I was fired from a job there after I was forcibly groped by a man, and HR went over my legal documentation. They assumed I was a liability, even though I showed up to work everyday with a positive attitude and always put out good numbers. Not to mention how fast I was ostracized from people I've known for years.

Minorities (for the most part) are tolerant. Everyone wants to feel like a victim these days, but we have it good here. Shit, in some countries they'd hang me publicly. 

shark tits

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 06:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

[close]

I've lived in Baltimore for the last two years, I'm the only white person at work. None of my co-workers have been openly discriminating towards me (despite me being intersexed, and security "ratting" me out). I don't fit in culturally but for the most part people have been very excepting. Much more so than a small 99% white town I used to live in. I was fired from a job there after I was forcibly groped by a man, and HR went over my legal documentation. They assumed I was a liability, even though I showed up to work everyday with a positive attitude and always put out good numbers. Not to mention how fast I was ostracized from people I've known for years.

Minorities (for the most part) are tolerant. Everyone wants to feel like a victim these days, but we have it good here. Shit, in some countries they'd hang me publicly. 
i don't think i'd agree that 'minorities are tolerant'. obviously it comes down to the individual but black and mexican people are more tolerant than peurto ricans or asians on average. each group is different. small white towns run the gamut too. laramie, wy is one of the more open minded places regardless of it's media image. sucks about the old job and all that stuff.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

I heard if you visit china and you're white they think your a celebrity. My cousin went there a few years back and came back with mad photos with Hunan bunnies and said getting it in was easier than finding toilet paper.

Bonus!
watch the first few seconds of this clip, plus eddie huang is dope.
http://www.vice.com/fresh-off-the-boat/fresh-off-the-boat-chengdu-part-1
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »

...lol. How many areas of Baltimore have you actually walked around in?
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

Once again, no one said discrimination against whites doesn't occur and the test doesn't suggest that. Literally no one but you said bigotry is black and white. When I said white world, I wasn't talking about numbers, I'm talking about influence. Whether you're in China (which you're fucking not and if you were there'd be a whole different set of classes to be talking about) or America or Australia, everyone knows the score. The West is at the top of the heap at the moment, and when people say the West, they mean white people. Are you aware that businesses in China hire whites for high paying do nothing jobs because having a white is a corporate status symbol? The stereotype that blacks are stupid and violent is a worldwide phenomenon along with lots of other stereotypes for lots of other types of people. The fact that you are insulated from having certain experiences is an advantage, i.e., privilege. Nobody assumes you are violent when they see you. You aren't many orders of magnitude more likely to be poor or incarcerated because of your birth. You are the assumed "normal" where everyone else has to be something other than. You are more likely to be described as some guy while I am more likely to be called a black guy. If you want to talk about what's laughable, it's laughable that a grown and I assume reasonably intelligent man could discount the fact of living in this point in history of white privilege. Yes, everyone is privileged in some way, but only a blind deaf and dumb man could even consider that being a white male doesn't affords you more privilege than most. I shouldn't have said laughable. Disheartening is the word I should have used. It's disheartening that a person that I somewhat respect chooses to be willfully oblivious and deny reality. The point is, despite what republicans say, there is no level playing field. Some inherently have to work twice as hard to get half the distance as others. Minorities, women, the disabled, homosexuals, the poor, and all those deemed different by society, have to start off in a hole in the playing field while the normals start on ground level. This does not discount the work and pains of the majority, but members of the majority saying they've had it just as bad as anyone else is discounting the struggles of those who had it worse.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
This is why you started this thread isn't it?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I started this thread because I wanted to talk about something that mattered rather than how pretty Dylan. is. Don't get me wrong, Dylan. is hot, but I can only talk about that so much.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »
College lol:

foureyedjim

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, no one said discrimination against whites doesn't occur and the test doesn't suggest that. Literally no one but you said bigotry is black and white. When I said white world, I wasn't talking about numbers, I'm talking about influence. Whether you're in China (which you're fucking not and if you were there'd be a whole different set of classes to be talking about) or America or Australia, everyone knows the score. The West is at the top of the heap at the moment, and when people say the West, they mean white people. Are you aware that businesses in China hire whites for high paying do nothing jobs because having a white is a corporate status symbol? The stereotype that blacks are stupid and violent is a worldwide phenomenon along with lots of other stereotypes for lots of other types of people. The fact that you are insulated from having certain experiences is an advantage, i.e., privilege. Nobody assumes you are violent when they see you. You aren't many orders of magnitude more likely to be poor or incarcerated because of your birth. You are the assumed "normal" where everyone else has to be something other than. You are more likely to be described as some guy while I am more likely to be called a black guy. If you want to talk about what's laughable, it's laughable that a grown and I assume reasonably intelligent man could discount the fact of living in this point in history of white privilege. Yes, everyone is privileged in some way, but only a blind deaf and dumb man could even consider that being a white male doesn't affords you more privilege than most. I shouldn't have said laughable. Disheartening is the word I should have used. It's disheartening that a person that I somewhat respect chooses to be willfully oblivious and deny reality. The point is, despite what republicans say, there is no level playing field. Some inherently have to work twice as hard to get half the distance as others. Minorities, women, the disabled, homosexuals, the poor, and all those deemed different by society, have to start off in a hole in the playing field while the normals start on ground level. This does not discount the work and pains of the majority, but members of the majority saying they've had it just as bad as anyone else is discounting the struggles of those who had it worse.

I love you

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
This does not discount the work and pains of the majority, but members of the majority saying they've had it just as bad as anyone else is discounting the struggles of those who had it worse.

Who has it worse: A white paraplegic, who contracted AIDS from their drug-addicted mother during pregnancy and grew up in a trailer park in West Virgina, or Michael Jordan's black kids?

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

[close]

What kind of job did you have where security would have any reason to know about your genitalia if you don't mind me asking

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

yeah, really objective
[close]
[close]

[close]

the phrase should be white, rich, straight, male, catholic privilege because that's the only group that it really applies to.

i'm in no way trying to trivialize your life experience but the survey is presented as being broad and objective but really it's not. my best friend is white and gay and lives in a small town in sw louisiana with his husband. he's been told by all his friends that still talk to him that "it's cool how he's gay but doesn't seem like he's gay" because he's a macho, burly kind of guy. i don't see how that's different than being told "you sound white" as a compliment. and when i said the survey isn't objective, that was the main point i was trying to make. if it's really trying to quantify where everyone fits on the spectrum then it shouldn't assume that white means at the top because it's just not that simple.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:55:08 PM by Sleazy »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
^I don't think the Catholic bit is irrelevant.

In the USA white men have less of a chance to get racially profiled by the police, be born into poverty, or be consciously or subconsciously discriminated by a potential employer. Most people know this, what is the point of this thread? Are we trying to increase SLAP awareness and ridicule or take your anger out on the ignorant stragglers?  As a US black man you still have a much higher opportunity to get paid and try to make a good life for yourself than the vast majority of minorities (and some majority) groups around the world.  The world is bigger than the USA and it's a dangerous, imperfect place.  If Chris Gardner can do it, so can you.  You just need some inspiration, quit feeling sorry for yourself all the time and go fuck bitches, get money. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:11:35 PM by chockfullofthat »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
The fact that I'm reading this thread from a private villa in port santa Maria while the natives are cleaning my bathrooms speaks volumes.

Id post a pic but the iPhone 5 camera makes too large a photo to post on slap

Edit: I don't fuck around

Edit 2: seriously I don't fuck around.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:43:40 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
what do you do for a living bruh?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
what do you do for a living bruh?

Private contractor for law firms.

I should also add that this is for a special occasion and not something I do normally.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:13:38 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
^I don't think the Catholic bit is irrelevant.

In the USA white men have less of a chance to get racially profiled by the police, be born into poverty, or be consciously or subconsciously discriminated by a potential employer. Most people know this, what is the point of this thread? Are we trying to increase SLAP awareness and ridicule or take your anger out on the ignorant stragglers?  As a US black man you still have a much higher opportunity to get paid and try to make a good life for yourself than the vast majority of minorities (and some majority) groups around the world.  The world is bigger than the USA and it's a dangerous, imperfect place.  If Chris Gardner can do it, so can you.  You just need some inspiration, quit feeling sorry for yourself all the time and go fuck bitches, get money. 
What the fuck are you talking about? This thread is about talking about a fucking test I got off my facebook feed which was interesting because it's a real issue that effects people everyday. To say I bring it up because I feel sorry for myself is a god damn insult. No fucking shit the world is imperfect. Understanding the inequities of the world is an important part of understanding why they exist and how to address them. And you know what? Most people have a very limited understanding of this. Spending an hour on an internet site where anybody can speak their mind will make you painfully aware of that. The fact that I even had to argue privilege's existence with a highly regarded member of this site speaks to that. Understanding others in this world is an uphill battle and I don't intend to be a part of the problem or do nothing at all while the results of inequality effect me and the rest of the world at large. At least I can precipitate change amongst the people I interact with. No shit the world is bigger than the US. It's small minded of you to think that I'm trapped in the mentality of a victim while I'm talking about the human condition. This applies to all of us. This is not a subject to be ignored or swept under the rug. People live and die by it every day. This is not about my situation and it never was. This is about human progress and those who deny it's importance, or outright deny it's existence, person that progress. No goddamn fucking shit this is bigger than my experience as a single person. You telling me to not worry about it, fuck bitches and get money is about the most self-centered lifestyle to champion and very ironic to tell a person to do while talking down to them about being myopic to the rest of the world.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
r u kidding? who the fuck respects sleazy? and do u really think this test or thread is helping anything? ugh i dont even know where to start. u need to focus on loving yourself and forget about fixing other people for a while.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

dillanharp

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »

Go outside.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
This does not discount the work and pains of the majority, but members of the majority saying they've had it just as bad as anyone else is discounting the struggles of those who had it worse.
[close]

Who has it worse: A white paraplegic, who contracted AIDS from their drug-addicted mother during pregnancy and grew up in a trailer park in West Virgina, or Michael Jordan's black kids?
That's a stupid question because it implies that either white privilege is the only form of privilege or there is no such choice. Its called intersectionality- we all have many different intersecting identities and levels of privilege within those identities. The white kid in your example is disabled, chronically ill, lacks stable family, and is poor in an economically depressed community. The black kids are wealthy, and based on the fact you don't talk about their health, disabilities, or family problems, it is probably to be assumed they are not disabled, unhealthy, or have a troubled homelife- which, by the way, is a form of privilege- the idea that your identity fits the assumed generic identity.
It goes without saying that the white kid is worse off, but its not a valid argument against white privilege, as no other element of their life is controlled.

And Vegan- the test totally considers class, its actually pretty intersectional in its approach to privilege.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
sleazy's world view:

where being told you sound like an american because YOU ARE AMERICAN AND YOU NO DOUBT HAVE AN AMERICAN ACCENT

is the same as being black and being told 'you sound white'
[close]

IN THE SOUTHERN UNITED STATES BEING CALLED A YANK ISN'T THE SAME AS IN AUSTRALIA YOU STUPID KOALA FUCKING CUNT.

hey, you fat fuck, he lived in australia as a kid, that is what he was talking about, you are as dumb as you are fat

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
It must be rough being called a yank in the south. Those bastards wouldn't even let you guys keep enslaving people! Fucking Yanks!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out