Author Topic: Motta of Skate Mental?  (Read 17360 times)

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Motta of Skate Mental?
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »
black box is doing horrible, i wouldn't say JT knows the industry anymore. if colden wanted to pay that much to break the contract then im sure there was mitigating circumstances.

i hope jamie doesnt kill himself soon
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Aiden Clarke is probably the worst poster on here in a long time.

Expand Quote
I think Colden told me that his contract was over in 2015, he also told me that Kyle Frederick who rides for mystery only gets paid $100 a month  >:(
[close]

my point only is this.  those contracts were put in front of them, and they weren't forced to sign them.  thats why they call them CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS.  Someone offers you a contract, you READ it, see which terms you don't agree with and you counter.  If Trevor signed a contract that kept him at Black Box until 2015, it means he AGREED to the terms.  Same with Kyle.  The thing is, these dudes are skateboarders that have NEVER made money from skateboarding, so if anyone offers them anything, they're pretty quick to take it. 

Did Jamie take advantage of their naivety?  Possibly.  But the point is they weren't forced to do anything they didn't want to do. 

And I stand by my point that it's BULLSHIT that Jamie tried to grease Nike for the money to buy out Colden's contract.  He's not stupid, and knows how the industry works. 

Yes man, I agree with you that Trevor probably should have read his contract better, but when you're a kid exciting to be talking to a legend with no idea how the skate industry works or how willing people are to fuck you over, then I also understand why you wouldn't think about it like a seasoned business vet.  Secondly, it's well-known that the skate world, especially skater-owned companies, really frown on people bringing in agents and lawyers.  I remember an interview with PRod when he got on Nike where he said he got an agent to go into negotiations with him but he would never do that with Girl (for example).  I'm not sure if that has changed but that's a well-respected money maker saying this.  Do you think a (at the time) no name kid would have survived in skating if he lawyered up right away?  They'd probably be like, "Who the fuck does he think he is?" and since all it takes is pissing off one person, he could easily be screwed for some time.

Aside from that, people leave from their contracts all the time.  If someone wants to quit or is blatantly talking shit on your company, why would you want them around?  This happens all the time in the business world and it's called "grounds for firing."  Then, you don't have to pay them anymore and in most positions, you cannot force someone to stay if they say they quit.  And usually, you can't or don't charge them for the privilege of quitting because it taints your brand and image, making you look like a dick and other people hesitant to work with you.  People quit companies all the time in skating.  Do you think every single one of them has waited for their contract to expire or had to pay a lot of money because of it?  In fact, the only similar move I can remember is when Shane was supposed to leave Nike for DC and they threatened to sue him over it.  So I guess congrats to Jamie--he's at Nike's level (assuming this is true).

Oh, and the Grant leaving AWS thing didn't go down the way you described.  He was set to quit AWS and told them he was jumping to Anti-Hero so AWS talked to Grant and Deluxe and asked them if they could keep it under wraps because they had just printed a bunch of boards and they needed them to sell.  So all three parties reached a deal so that AWS wasn't out a shitload of money.  They didn't try to force him to buy out his contract if he left early.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure among the bigger board brands its common for people with Pro board to give sort of a 90 day notice before officially announcing. Almost all companies that size will play along because it benefits each other by limiting dead stock. Just a basic professional courtesy. Does AWS even have contracts, i've heard multiple times they don't but they've possibly switched that policy recently.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
i cant see plunkett, colden, and o'neil going on tour or doing anything as a "team"

hopefully AHM boards get good distro, id buy one
If you live in AZ Cowtown has them. You can probably get them off Cowtown's website if you're not a local.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
It's strange to see other athletes like Amare Stoudemire make 20 000 000 per year, yet skateboarding legend Trevor Colden is sweating over 30 dimes.
[close]

You realize basketball stars generate way more money with millions more fans than skateboarders right? Even no name bench warmer are doing better than what we consider to be top tier skaters.

For someone with all the business "acumen" youre pretty wrong about that one. no name bench warmers dont get paid shit. They get traded and dropped all the time, all the while making a couple grand a month.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:59 PM »
So wait, did anyone actually hear that he isnt on SM anymore? just not having his board posted doesnt mean he's not on the team. Also, Staba said he didnt kick him off, so that could mean he's still on.

Look at their bio on Instagram. The riders are all listed. Motta is not.

CreepySweaty

• Rep: 60
  • i am mitchie brusco i have done the 1080
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »

For those of you that don't know:

http://www.rawrlife.com/

I hope he goes to AHM. It would suck to see him fall off the radar.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think Colden told me that his contract was over in 2015, he also told me that Kyle Frederick who rides for mystery only gets paid $100 a month  >:(
[close]

my point only is this.  those contracts were put in front of them, and they weren't forced to sign them.  thats why they call them CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS.  Someone offers you a contract, you READ it, see which terms you don't agree with and you counter.  If Trevor signed a contract that kept him at Black Box until 2015, it means he AGREED to the terms.  Same with Kyle.  The thing is, these dudes are skateboarders that have NEVER made money from skateboarding, so if anyone offers them anything, they're pretty quick to take it. 

Did Jamie take advantage of their naivety?  Possibly.  But the point is they weren't forced to do anything they didn't want to do. 

And I stand by my point that it's BULLSHIT that Jamie tried to grease Nike for the money to buy out Colden's contract.  He's not stupid, and knows how the industry works. 

[close]

Yes man, I agree with you that Trevor probably should have read his contract better, but when you're a kid exciting to be talking to a legend with no idea how the skate industry works or how willing people are to fuck you over, then I also understand why you wouldn't think about it like a seasoned business vet.  Secondly, it's well-known that the skate world, especially skater-owned companies, really frown on people bringing in agents and lawyers.  I remember an interview with PRod when he got on Nike where he said he got an agent to go into negotiations with him but he would never do that with Girl (for example).  I'm not sure if that has changed but that's a well-respected money maker saying this.  Do you think a (at the time) no name kid would have survived in skating if he lawyered up right away?  They'd probably be like, "Who the fuck does he think he is?" and since all it takes is pissing off one person, he could easily be screwed for some time.

Aside from that, people leave from their contracts all the time.  If someone wants to quit or is blatantly talking shit on your company, why would you want them around?  This happens all the time in the business world and it's called "grounds for firing."  Then, you don't have to pay them anymore and in most positions, you cannot force someone to stay if they say they quit.  And usually, you can't or don't charge them for the privilege of quitting because it taints your brand and image, making you look like a dick and other people hesitant to work with you.  People quit companies all the time in skating.  Do you think every single one of them has waited for their contract to expire or had to pay a lot of money because of it?  In fact, the only similar move I can remember is when Shane was supposed to leave Nike for DC and they threatened to sue him over it.  So I guess congrats to Jamie--he's at Nike's level (assuming this is true).

Oh, and the Grant leaving AWS thing didn't go down the way you described.  He was set to quit AWS and told them he was jumping to Anti-Hero so AWS talked to Grant and Deluxe and asked them if they could keep it under wraps because they had just printed a bunch of boards and they needed them to sell.  So all three parties reached a deal so that AWS wasn't out a shitload of money.  They didn't try to force him to buy out his contract if he left early.

I agree, all of what you say is legit.  back when we were growing up, it was pretty taboo to show up with a lawyer to a board company, but things are much different now.  With respect to Girl, at this point, I dont think they'd be too bummed if you showed up with a lawyer to nail down a contract.  Girl has lawyers and they understand that a contract protects, and needs to be agreed upon by BOTH parties.  That's where it gets weird.  Skaters probably have a lot more negotiation power these days.  Back in the day it was "Here's what we're offering you"  "WOW, THANKS" and they signed.  Now, people understand that there's A LOT of money floating around and everyone want's their piece of the pie. 

And as for the Grant thing, he may have been set to quit, but with the relationship btw AWS and Thomas Taylor and having smart, experienced, people around him, he made the right move and just let the contract run out, rather than quit.  Which is respectable as fuck. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're right that it's shady to make a long contract with a young kid who's excited to get any money and free products, in all the other sports there are regulations on the lenghts and minimum salaries in the contracts of young upcoming dudes. But then again I can see why Jamie would try to keep him on as long as possible. Kind of shitty for Trevor to leave along time sponsor right when he's starting to get popular. If he had stayed a little while longer, he could have really put Mystery on the map again, and I don't see how the board sponsor would affect a pros everyday life in any way. I think a little compensation is reasonable in this case, even if it's a pretty dicky move from Jamie

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's strange to see other athletes like Amare Stoudemire make 20 000 000 per year, yet skateboarding legend Trevor Colden is sweating over 30 dimes.
[close]

You realize basketball stars generate way more money with millions more fans than skateboarders right? Even no name bench warmer are doing better than what we consider to be top tier skaters.
[close]

For someone with all the business "acumen" youre pretty wrong about that one. no name bench warmers dont get paid shit. They get traded and dropped all the time, all the while making a couple grand a month.

I am correct, I should have clarified myself better though. You may be overestimating what pro skaters actually make. Compare it to some of the pros that people like on here that dont participate in street league mountain dew shit. That couple grand a month that the ball player gets is actually more than what a board sponsor will give riders. Do you know what chocolate gives gino as a salary to be on their team? Zero dollars a year. They give him no salary. Your average bench jockey is getting a better salary from their team.

#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I am correct, I should have clarified myself better though. You may be overestimating what pro skaters actually make. Compare it to some of the pros that people like on here that dont participate in street league mountain dew shit. That couple grand a month that the ball player gets is actually more than what a board sponsor will give riders. Do you know what chocolate gives gino as a salary to be on their team? Zero dollars a year. They give him no salary. Your average bench jockey is getting a better salary from their team.

even good nba players don't make shit.  Nick Young only gets 1.2 mil and he averages 18 a game as a bench player.  but even the lowest player in the nba making league minimum is bringing home at least 500k a year and thats definitely more than 70-80 percent of pro skateboarders

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

even good nba players don't make shit.  Nick Young only gets 1.2 mil and he averages 18 a game as a bench player.  but even the lowest player in the nba making league minimum is bringing home at least 500k a year and thats definitely more than 70-80 percent of pro skateboarders

More like 99% + of pro skateboarders. The comparison I made was comparing what a basketball team gives its bencher and what a deck sponsor gives its rider, but even most skaters with big company pro model shoe contracts, energy drink sponsors , etc on top of what the board sponsor pays don't make 500k a year, even if they have a stake in the ownership of the company. Less than one percent of professional skateboarders will earn a million dollars throughout their lifetime as a pro.
#crackkka

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

More like 99% + of pro skateboarders. The comparison I made was comparing what a basketball team gives its bencher and what a deck sponsor gives its rider, but even most skaters with big company pro model shoe contracts, energy drink sponsors , etc on top of what the board sponsor pays don't make 500k a year, even if they have a stake in the ownership of the company. Less than one percent of professional skateboarders will earn a million dollars throughout their lifetime as a pro.
yeah your right that 70-80% i was being generous and was only thinking of street leaguers and people like a reynolds rowley etc that easily make 100k or more a year

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think Colden told me that his contract was over in 2015, he also told me that Kyle Frederick who rides for mystery only gets paid $100 a month  >:(
[close]

my point only is this.  those contracts were put in front of them, and they weren't forced to sign them.  thats why they call them CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS.  Someone offers you a contract, you READ it, see which terms you don't agree with and you counter.  If Trevor signed a contract that kept him at Black Box until 2015, it means he AGREED to the terms.  Same with Kyle.  The thing is, these dudes are skateboarders that have NEVER made money from skateboarding, so if anyone offers them anything, they're pretty quick to take it.  

Did Jamie take advantage of their naivety?  Possibly.  But the point is they weren't forced to do anything they didn't want to do.  

And I stand by my point that it's BULLSHIT that Jamie tried to grease Nike for the money to buy out Colden's contract.  He's not stupid, and knows how the industry works.  

[close]

Yes man, I agree with you that Trevor probably should have read his contract better, but when you're a kid exciting to be talking to a legend with no idea how the skate industry works or how willing people are to fuck you over, then I also understand why you wouldn't think about it like a seasoned business vet.  Secondly, it's well-known that the skate world, especially skater-owned companies, really frown on people bringing in agents and lawyers.  I remember an interview with PRod when he got on Nike where he said he got an agent to go into negotiations with him but he would never do that with Girl (for example).  I'm not sure if that has changed but that's a well-respected money maker saying this.  Do you think a (at the time) no name kid would have survived in skating if he lawyered up right away?  They'd probably be like, "Who the fuck does he think he is?" and since all it takes is pissing off one person, he could easily be screwed for some time.

Aside from that, people leave from their contracts all the time.  If someone wants to quit or is blatantly talking shit on your company, why would you want them around?  This happens all the time in the business world and it's called "grounds for firing."  Then, you don't have to pay them anymore and in most positions, you cannot force someone to stay if they say they quit.  And usually, you can't or don't charge them for the privilege of quitting because it taints your brand and image, making you look like a dick and other people hesitant to work with you.  People quit companies all the time in skating.  Do you think every single one of them has waited for their contract to expire or had to pay a lot of money because of it?  In fact, the only similar move I can remember is when Shane was supposed to leave Nike for DC and they threatened to sue him over it.  So I guess congrats to Jamie--he's at Nike's level (assuming this is true).

Oh, and the Grant leaving AWS thing didn't go down the way you described.  He was set to quit AWS and told them he was jumping to Anti-Hero so AWS talked to Grant and Deluxe and asked them if they could keep it under wraps because they had just printed a bunch of boards and they needed them to sell.  So all three parties reached a deal so that AWS wasn't out a shitload of money.  They didn't try to force him to buy out his contract if he left early.

You want to know why skater owned companies don't like lawyers and agents coming in and negotiating on behalf of the riders? A couple of reasons really. For one, they are not as good with business as corporate companies that report to shareholders and deadlines, so if something messes up on the companies end and the skater tries to hold them to their contractual agreement its easier for them to keep it under wraps in their favor. So now that we've established that skateboard companies aren't great at business, this leads to the other reason, and that is that skater owned companies are notoriously known for not taking care of people and historically don't offer the amount of money and incentives that the skater is worth, and on top of that they're used to these skateboarders excepting these low ball terms and conditions. They can't persuade/ trick/ bully a rider into a shitty contract as easily if the skateboarder has adequate representation. It's the skaters fault if they let a company intimidate them into accepting an offer without consulting a professional second opinion.

For your second point, skaters do not just up and leave contracts before their release date all the time. The reason why you see some skaters drop companies and pick up new companies is because they never had a contract, so nothing was legally binding them to the company for a specific amount of time to begin with.
The reason why a company would want to keep a rider under contract even if the rider wants to quit is because the company wants to see a return on their investment for all the money they gave to the skater to push their company. Skaters are paid salaries and sign on bonuses because the company expects to make a lot more money than what they paid the rider through selling things with their name on it. If a company gave a skater thousands of dollars and the rider wanted to back out before profits from that rider were realized, companies would go out of business. Your concept of employment is much different from sports contracts, which is what skateboarding most resembles in today day and age. So the rider wants to leave after getting a sign on bonus, a salary, free product etc, before the company made any real money off of their investment in the company. That's where contract buy outs come from, because the company needs to recoup their losses from the rider not holding up their contractual agreement. If someone wants out of a contract before their time is up, they either wait it out or put up money to get out of it. That way the company doesn't take a major financial hit from the rider backing out. Take p rod and the spray painted boards he was riding, it was clear to people like us that follow skating closely that he wasn't feeling plan b anymore, but most people don't realize that. The average street league viewer doesn't know that p rod hates plan b, all they see is p rod skating on tv and his pro model board hanging up in zumies, which they'll buy without hesitation. Even if p rod was on social media shit talking plan b, these little groms would never know and support plan b regardless. The reason p rod didn't just leave? Plan b paid him one of the heftier sign on bonuses and salaries in the industry for a deck sponsor, and it was too much money for him to see a fiscal gain from paying what they needed to get him out of the contract. It was financially better for him to just wait it out and not sign a new contract when it was time for renewal.

Another good example is Brian wenning, since you brought up aws. When he left habitat, he did so when he wanted without penalty because he was not under contract, it was all on a hand shake. Carter warned him about going to plan b because skating for a board company under contract restricts your options for mobility between companies. He ended up signing that plan b contract, and then realized they weren't pushing his name as he wanted. He wanted to get out way earlier than he did, but the money he would have had to pony up to get out was beyond his means. They continued to make money using his name and likeness while he wanted to go back to habitat. The only reason why you can only recall share o neills dilemma between dc and Nike is because it isn't advantageous to the skater or the company to put it out in the open. Wenning only let his story out after he started lockdown.

Grants situation is different since he wasn't dealing with contract hound companies like plan b or zero/ mystery. His deal had flexibility, and fortunately for aws they tend to not fuck ppl over so they get the same kind of respect from like minded companies. Had it been grant wanting to leave plan b for anti hero, the story would have sounded just like trevor coldens.

Jamie is a good business man who knows how to trim fat from his companies so he doesn't take a hard hitting financial loss. No companies, skate related or otherwise, offer team players contracts that benefit the team mate more than the company offering the contract.

Edit: I also want to clarify that some companies will pay riders an advance, meaning the company pays the rider money before they actually earn it with the intention of making it back over the time period that the contract specifies. That way if a company pays a rider money that the rider hasn't generated through endorsing the brand, and that rider wants to jump ship before the company sees a return from what they paid, the buy out for the rider to leave will recoup some of that loss.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:26:49 PM by Aidan Clarke »
#crackkka

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
You really are just a horrible poster.  You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices.  For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract.  All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them.  Also, your Wenning story was only half right.  He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there.  He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT.  He didn't just wait for his context to run out.  Same with PRod.  He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit.  Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract.  For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time.  Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery.  That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
You really are just a horrible poster.  You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices.  For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract.  All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them.  Also, your Wenning story was only half right.  He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there.  He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT.  He didn't just wait for his context to run out.  Same with PRod.  He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit.  Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract.  For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time.  Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery.  That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.

Lets not forget that Paul (who is highly respected within the skateboard industry) ONLY told Danny and Colin that he was quitting when they SAW HIM riding other boards in a contest and called him out on it.  To me, that's kind of shitty.  What I don't understand is...Why continue to put on the appearance of being part of a brand when you CLEARLY have something else going on?  And why not just be straight and say you're done?

on another note, here's the Trevor interview with the story...
http://thrashermagazine.com/articles/trevor-colden-interview-sm/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:15:19 PM by stevedave »
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
You really are just a horrible poster.  You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices.  For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract.  All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them.  Also, your Wenning story was only half right.  He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there.  He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT.  He didn't just wait for his context to run out.  Same with PRod.  He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit.  Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract.  For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time.  Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery.  That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.

Chill with the emotions, I just wrote most of that in case someone came on here and didn't understand how shit works. I know you didn't say it wasn't a smart move to discuss contracts without a lawyer, you just stated that companies make ppl feel weird if they try to.do so and I built upon that.

I know he was an am while on mystery, but you're forgetting that pro and am are only terms that the skateboard industry made up. In the eyes of the law he is a professional since he is getting paid for his job.
#crackkka

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
I also said wennings name wasn't being used as he wanted it to and plan b continued to make money off of him. And that they capitalized off his likeness. He wanted to quit for a while. Also, he didn't exactly choose when they dropped him, he went to prison and they dropped him.

P rod wanted to leave plan b for a.year before he did, he.didn't just up and quit. Like you're saying he did. He had to sit on the idea of quitting for a while before he was actually able to.
#crackkka

greenmilktea

• Rep: -10
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
so is motta off skate mental or naw

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
can we just change the name of the thread? ever since i posted the trev board insta and mj comment the last two and half pages been about trev

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
You really are just a horrible poster.  You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices.  For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract.  All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them.  Also, your Wenning story was only half right.  He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there.  He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT.  He didn't just wait for his context to run out.  Same with PRod.  He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit.  Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract.  For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time.  Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery.  That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.
[close]

Lets not forget that Paul (who is highly respected within the skateboard industry) ONLY told Danny and Colin that he was quitting when they SAW HIM riding other boards in a contest and called him out on it.  To me, that's kind of shitty.  What I don't understand is...Why continue to put on the appearance of being part of a brand when you CLEARLY have something else going on?  And why not just be straight and say you're done?

I agree that Paul shouldn't have waited to get called out on it.  That just wasn't important to the point I was making.

Aidan: sorry, took your explanation the wrong way.  Whether or not Paul thought about leaving for a year is irrelevant to my point.  I was saying he was able to leave after being asked about it, he didn't have to wait for his contract to run out before he left.  Maybe he did before announcing Primitive, but that's a different matter.

Aidan Clarke

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
can we just change the name of the thread? ever since i posted the trev board insta and mj comment the last two and half pages been about trev

Expand Quote
[close]

You know how many threads wed have to change? That richie jackson thred would be turned into jesus came inside sierra fellers too.

What happened to Matt beach again?
#crackkka

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You really are just a horrible poster. �You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices. �For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract. �All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them. �Also, your Wenning story was only half right. �He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there. �He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT. �He didn't just wait for his context to run out. �Same with PRod. �He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit. �Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract. �For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time. �Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery. �That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.
[close]

Lets not forget that Paul (who is highly respected within the skateboard industry) ONLY told Danny and Colin that he was quitting when they SAW HIM riding other boards in a contest and called him out on it. �To me, that's kind of shitty. �What I don't understand is...Why continue to put on the appearance of being part of a brand when you CLEARLY have something else going on? �And why not just be straight and say you're done?

[close]

I agree that Paul shouldn't have waited to get called out on it.� That just wasn't important to the point I was making.

Aidan: sorry, took your explanation the wrong way.� Whether or not Paul thought about leaving for a year is irrelevant to my point.� I was saying he was able to leave after being asked about it, he didn't have to wait for his contract to run out before he left.� Maybe he did before announcing Primitive, but that's a different matter.

Ofcourse he had to wait until the contract was over, or maybe Danny and Colin were nice enough to not sue him for a contract violation. The point of a contract is that the company can't kick you of without a good reason, and that the skater can't leave all the sudden without a good reason.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You really are just a horrible poster. �You act as though I don't know anything about businesses or endorsements or investing in people, or why the skate industry does it's fucked up practices. �For example, no where did I say it was a smart move to not have a lawyer read a contract. �All I did was state potential reasons why one wouldn't bring in a lawyer to the first person interested in sponsoring them. �Also, your Wenning story was only half right. �He didn't say he was going to leave because they weren't getting his name out there. �He said Plan B licensed his name to Tech Decks and he wasn't getting paid for that, nor was he receiving his other checks and that was why he QUIT. �He didn't just wait for his context to run out. �Same with PRod. �He said he stopped riding Plan B boards and then told Colin and Danny he quit. �Sure, maybe he didn't start Primitive for some time because of a non-compete clause or whatever, but he certainly didn't just ride out his contract. �For as many people who have come out and said that they didn't resign or renew a contract, there are just as many people who do just quit, leave, or get dropped from a brand at any time. �Most contracts have a clause like that in there.

Regardless, you have to remember that Trevor was also an am for his entire time on Mystery. �That's a completely different situation than a pro contract and I doubt that an am was signed to a contract that would require a $15K-$45K buy out.
[close]

Lets not forget that Paul (who is highly respected within the skateboard industry) ONLY told Danny and Colin that he was quitting when they SAW HIM riding other boards in a contest and called him out on it. �To me, that's kind of shitty. �What I don't understand is...Why continue to put on the appearance of being part of a brand when you CLEARLY have something else going on? �And why not just be straight and say you're done?

[close]

I agree that Paul shouldn't have waited to get called out on it.� That just wasn't important to the point I was making.

Aidan: sorry, took your explanation the wrong way.� Whether or not Paul thought about leaving for a year is irrelevant to my point.� I was saying he was able to leave after being asked about it, he didn't have to wait for his contract to run out before he left.� Maybe he did before announcing Primitive, but that's a different matter.
[close]

Ofcourse he had to wait until the contract was over, or maybe Danny and Colin were nice enough to not sue him for a contract violation. The point of a contract is that the company can't kick you of without a good reason, and that the skater can't leave all the sudden without a good reason.

i like slap

Tom Brokeoff

• Rep: 2
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
Motta would good on Krooked

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
Motta would good on Krooked

typical...

from now on ''original'' dudes should be on 3D

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
back to things that matter. anyone remember that interview where Motta talks about waking up and seeing aliens in his living room?

greenmilktea

• Rep: -10
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »
back to things that matter. anyone remember that interview where Motta talks about waking up and seeing aliens in his living room?

i remember, such a insanely weird interview, talking about government conspiracies and shit

wish i had it though

Dougiedunndidit

• Rep: -9
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
Motta's Easter Egg part was much better than Colden's new part. Why is this kid (Colden) being promoted/pushed so hard? Kid is vanilla as can be. Mystery is the worst.
Dougiedunndidit.tumblr

Show & Prove

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »

Whilst I would agree the money is probably pretty sad for a lot, I'm going to call bullshit on the 1% making less than $1M in their career.
For arguments sake lets say there is legit 500 pro skaters to be generous, I'm including Todd Falcon in that number. You think no more than 5 would average $100K a year for 10 years, I would be surprised if 5 of them aren't making over 1 million a year, PRod, Nyjah, Koston, Cole, maybe Janoski.

Then you would have the next tier of guys like Malto, Mo, O'neil, Busenitz, Piug, Reynolds, Theotis basically anyone with a energy drink or Nike, Adidas, DC or Vans should easily make over one million in their career. Add in some vert/old/kooky dudes like Luska, D Way, Bob etc and 1% looks just bullshit.