Author Topic: RIP think skateboards  (Read 17701 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
Re: RIP think skateboards
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i never really understood think. they didnt have any good videos in the mid2000s. they had iThink which was garbage and they rarely ever marketed themselves. the only time i would see anything think would be when an older dude would say, "hey, drehobl's sick, you ever see dedication? you should watch that." "hey, you know who phil shao was? hes a legend" so you go back and you watch that stuff and its all great but if you look for anything current its not there. if you spend a 10-12 year stretch not doing anything substantial why would you expect anyone to buy your stuff?
[close]

so i take it you didnt see business as usual.
[close]

it was a good video but then they never really followed it up with anything. before and after that video they did absolutely nothing.
[close]

They had a mini tour and video, Think decks would find there way out to nyc here and there over the years, i rode a few and there is currently a shop in nyc that has a few laying around...I still dunno if i should give in and an get that Josh Matthews deck for collectors sake

this was basically two years ago and its not like it had a lot of hype. theres pretty much no think stuff after business as usual and this tour vid and for a company in thinks position thats not smart at all. the older dudes singing thinks praises dont even buy the product. you could buy a tshirt if you didnt like the boards but no one does that even. i bet you wont even buy that josh matthews board.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »
Never saw a Think or City deck here in the UK.

I remember Sidewalk had that Bachinsky  promo with the whole team as a free DVD, but there was no where to buy the product

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
Think thought it was Gino.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
think went outta business cuz they didnt turn charlie pravel am.

Mazzodudee

• Rep: -17
  • More typing less skating!!
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 01:01:35 PM »

Yeah they sure did! Who?

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »
Pretty fucking bummed for Lee as he was just about to go pro for them. Hopefully someone will scoop him up after his "Outliers" part comes out. Tempster...where you at?

ChillMurray

• Rep: -36
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
I liked Think. I had at least 5 tag logo decks the past couple years. Anything 8.12-8.25 thats a full 32 long I fuck with.
RIP Pimp C

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
Expand Quote
it was a good video but then they never really followed it up with anything. before and after that video they did absolutely nothing.
[close]

They had a mini tour and video, Think decks would find there way out to nyc here and there over the years, i rode a few and there is currently a shop in nyc that has a few laying around...I still dunno if i should give in and an get that Josh Matthews deck for collectors sake

Don't forget:

I always had high hopes for Think. They've always had an amazing team, and I think the last few years were their strongest as far as art direction goes. Sad to see it go.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah they sure did! Who?

SF ripper. Appears in most SF Treats. Justin wanted to put Charlie, Pat, and those guys fully on, turn Lee pro, etc. but wallets were tight, as is pretty obvious now.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
Yeah, Think did nothing.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i never really understood think. they didnt have any good videos in the mid2000s. they had iThink which was garbage and they rarely ever marketed themselves. the only time i would see anything think would be when an older dude would say, "hey, drehobl's sick, you ever see dedication? you should watch that." "hey, you know who phil shao was? hes a legend" so you go back and you watch that stuff and its all great but if you look for anything current its not there. if you spend a 10-12 year stretch not doing anything substantial why would you expect anyone to buy your stuff?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

this was basically two years ago and its not like it had a lot of hype. theres pretty much no think stuff after business as usual and this tour vid and for a company in thinks position thats not smart at all. the older dudes singing thinks praises dont even buy the product. you could buy a tshirt if you didnt like the boards but no one does that even. i bet you wont even buy that josh matthews board.

Im not arguing with you just correcting that statement. Where would you even get a Think shirt? i saw an older dude wearing one once but it was really old like from the 90s. Your probably right about the Matthews board considering i ride for another skate shop not to far from that one that i already get my boards from and i have a bad tendency to skate pretty much every board i get my hands on no matter how bad i'd like to save it or how special/exclusive it is. Similar issue with clothing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:36:47 PM by Tarela »

YourWifesPanties

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2014, 03:43:33 AM »
DLX needs to acquire Think to their dist, I'm eager to know where Russ will end up!

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
I just had takes the Josh matthew board with the Phil Shao Photo on it.
put it on the wall.
so sad for Think i really liked them.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »
Haven't ridden a Think board since the Zaunich & J. Paez days. Once upon a time 15+ years ago they were my go-to- Always great shapes, deep concaves, light, and snappy as heck. Stopped riding them after they booted underrated Branen Fitzgerald for bullshit reasons that have nothing to do with skateboarding.

Think was rad when they had Phil Shao, Speyer, and Drehobl, but in the last decade aside from a few sick riders they were pretty much just stale leftovers from the 90's.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
The last think I had was an 8.25 tag logo board like 2 years ago, the shape was actually really really good. They were also killing it with ads back then, I really thought they'd turn it around but it seems like after business as usual they stopped trying.

im probably lying

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
This sucks.
Business as usual was such a great vid. The team was sick. Matthews, Williams, Milligan etc.
I just always thought the company lacked art direction, they should have ditched think and kept City.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
This sucks.
Business as usual was such a great vid. The team was sick. Matthews, Williams, Milligan etc.
I just always thought the company lacked art direction, they should have ditched think and kept City.

Exactly! City was a dope little team. I always liked Jimmy Cao on that team more so then Mafia.

A guy I went to college with did some of the graphics for City at the time. Wasn't the best but not totally bad:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
City was sick , good team , good vids , good art direction

couldnt find a board from them to save my life , even tried ordering through amazon but they didnt ship

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 130
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
This sucks.
Just Another Day on the Range was such a great vid. The team was sick. Corpsey, Speyer, Shao.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
i had 4 of the milligan boards with the hundred dollar bills all over it in a row , that shape was too good

Mr. Lono

• Rep: 22
  • Fl NC CO
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Expand Quote
This sucks.
[close]

Exactly! City was a dope little team. I always liked Jimmy Cao on that team more so then Mafia.

A guy I went to college with did some of the graphics for City at the time. Wasn't the best but not totally bad:

City was the shit
Charlie don't skate

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2014, 03:55:04 AM »
Lame. Can we bring Mad Circle back?

Anyways. I'm amazed that Think has been around for so long.  For some reason I always think of Robin Williams wearing a Think hate back in the day.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:32 AM »
don't wanna talk shit on the company because I really liked them but I only ever had one City board and it was one of the worst boards I've ever ridden. it turned super soggy and shite after a couple of sessions and just generally felt like it was cheaply made. may have just been a bad batch though? I got the What the Fuck is a Bachinsky DVD with it and that didn't even work because it was warped lol

This was awesome though

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
R.I.P.!!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This sucks.
[close]

[close]

City was the shit
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Im not arguing with you just correcting that statement. Where would you even get a Think shirt?  i saw an older dude wearing one once but it was really old like from the 90s. Your probably right about the Matthews board considering i ride for another skate shop not to far from that one that i already get my boards from and i have a bad tendency to skate pretty much every board i get my hands on no matter how bad i'd like to save it or how special/exclusive it is. Similar issue with clothing.

the internet?

http://www.warehouseskateboards.com/think-tag-1-charcoal-small-t-shirt

http://www.chutingstar.com/skate/into-the-hills-think-skateboards-t-shirt

but in all honesty youre right, not a lot of people are carrying the gear, not even ccs, zumiez or SPOT. when did they stop making shirts?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
don't wanna talk shit on the company because I really liked them but I only ever had one City board and it was one of the worst boards I've ever ridden. it turned super soggy and shite after a couple of sessions and just generally felt like it was cheaply made. may have just been a bad batch though? I got the What the Fuck is a Bachinsky DVD with it and that didn't even work because it was warped lol

This was awesome though

yeah i had a the logo deck a few years a go and it was super soggy... adrian williams gave me a deck once and it was pretty good though... i read on here that the think pros/ams got their boards pressed at dlx while the ones for sale were pressed somewhere different.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
DLX needs to acquire Think to their dist, I'm eager to know where Russ will end up!

Russ will go to some Canadian company. Is Darkstar still a thing? Lee and Dave are done, probably Russ, too. Lee will probably go back to college.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Russ will go to some Canadian company. Is Darkstar still a thing? Lee and Dave are done, probably Russ, too. Lee will probably go back to college.

Red star skateboards.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dosen't lee have a part in the upcoming TWS video?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, i think it's called "outliers".

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, i think it's called "outliers".

out of all the dudes that were left, i think Lee Yankou will have the easiest job picking up a legit sponsor. having a part in outliers and think shutting down at the same time is probably the best thing that could happen to him.