Author Topic: Zero and Fallen going to Dwindle Distribution  (Read 21474 times)

Cactus Cooler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Zero and Fallen going to Dwindle Distribution
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
sure there's a lot of hipster shit going on right now, but there's always going to be a punk/diy vibe to skate. Welcome, Creature, Anti Hero...there's something there that is not fuccboi "hip" its a little more raw and these are from some of the more popular brands right now.

the issue was the black box brands were so engrained with a look of the team almost more than a vibe for the brand. it became somewhat comical with everyones jeans and flair. that needed to managed better. it jumped the fashion shark.

zero has all the opportunity to come back today with something raw and still well rounded.
how did all the shep dawgs grow up in black box back yard and not one is zero or fallen? how is there no brixton riders on zero?
the north county san diego scene is very tight, yet black box def was on the outside looking in on everything that was blooming.

dolan stearns and kirby would have been a nice first couple of steps. look what sinclair is doing with all the foundation ams...that is going to be back in the mix in less than a year. hes helping dekline's image as well with same group of kids.

its zero and fallen. they need to be in skate.  just needs to let the past go and redefine them for the present.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
its zero and fallen. they need to be in skate.  just needs to let the past go and redefine them for the present.
This idea confuses me. Why does Zero need to be in skateboarding any more than World, Adio, or any number of companies past?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
zero just need to be by the hammer, for the hammer, and fill their videos with awesome metal and 60s and 70s shit again. its still only one video away from being a relevant brand again. hoffart and crew were determined to make powell - fun! to make a great video and they did. zero can do that too. add a couple heavy skaters on top and you got yourselves a brand again.

when you start using young jeezy songs and talk about seeing the stuff in between the skating you're losing yourself to trends and not keeping zero focused on what its always done best: getting buck. why was tom k on the team? why is a mediocre skater like josiah gatlyn getting a chance to be on zero? why hasn't zero put a slam section in a video lately? their personalities aside, forest edwards and dane burman are zero. those dudes love getting broke off. thats the type of shit you want. not dudes half wishing to be on a trendy ass company.

one of the things i fear the most about current skating is that its slowly losing the diversity that made it so cool in the past. i hope zero doesn't die. it may seem standard but people don't know how to make a clean video anymore without fancy angles. theres still a big space open for zero.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:15:02 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This idea confuses me. Why does Zero need to be in skateboarding any more than World, Adio, or any number of companies past?
I actually think Cold War did an awesome job of presenting Zero of the Misled Youth era, but Frank Gerwers Nose is right. We have seen 101, World, Planet Earth and the original Stereo and Plan B teams die and now potentially Alien and Habitat. I'd be glad to see Jamie still make a good living off of skateboarding but sometimes good brands end because they are not in touch with new consumers.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
^^you dont have to be in touch with new consumers to be a really good brand. you just have to make your company as good as you possibly can under your own guidelines.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »
^^you dont have to be in touch with new consumers to be a really good brand. you just have to make your company as good as you possibly can under your own guidelines.
\
the problem in a nutshell is that most of the money in skateboarding comes from kids. if your brand aint cool no mo, youre done. I think there really is no hope. Skateboarding is a young game, thats why new companies work and older ones just fade out. Unless of course youre big in Japan.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
\
the problem in a nutshell is that most of the money in skateboarding comes from kids. if your brand aint cool no mo, youre done. I think there really is no hope. Skateboarding is a young game, thats why new companies work and older ones just fade out. Unless of course youre big in Japan.

the thing is kids dont really know what they like, you can sell a kid almost anything. its mostly on the company on how well they package their art direction and spread their brands message. zero has pretty much been half assing it for a really long time and they just stopped having a voice for some reason and started chasing trends. older companies dont have to fade out, they just have to give a shit.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
sure there's a lot of hipster shit going on right now, but there's always going to be a punk/diy vibe to skate. Welcome, Creature, Anti Hero...there's something there that is not fuccboi "hip" its a little more raw and these are from some of the more popular brands right now.

the issue was the black box brands were so engrained with a look of the team almost more than a vibe for the brand. it became somewhat comical with everyones jeans and flair. that needed to managed better. it jumped the fashion shark.

zero has all the opportunity to come back today with something raw and still well rounded.
how did all the shep dawgs grow up in black box back yard and not one is zero or fallen? how is there no brixton riders on zero?
the north county san diego scene is very tight, yet black box def was on the outside looking in on everything that was blooming.

dolan stearns and kirby would have been a nice first couple of steps. look what sinclair is doing with all the foundation ams...that is going to be back in the mix in less than a year. hes helping dekline's image as well with same group of kids.

Creature is the corniest shit ever. The 90s Creature was cool, but the new millennium fluorescent green Creature is ridiculous. I saw the whole team at the airport once and they looked like they were about to do a Moto-X demo at a rockabilly festival. Their haircuts were more manicured and styled with gel than any of the so called "fuccbois" everyone on here complains about. Navarette (who I am a fan of by the way) was wearing huge bright purple Dickies that looked like something a pop-punk Christian would wear to the mall. They were about as punk and DIY as Walgreen's.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
Say what you will about Zero's recent direction (or lack thereof) but Cold War was my favorite video of 2013. It was simple and gnarly with some heavy-ass parts. If they keep that up I'd be down to support Black Box.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:50:59 PM by yungthug »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »
Zero is raw but it seems to lost that wide eye fire when they had 4 real guys on the team, it was sort of the American banner of getting it done with them regardless of glamour or snooty opinion.. I always got into it
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
I liked cold war too....but that's the reason why they gotta change....as bad as it sounds....zero should get a whole lot cornier.....just to get them over this hump....I don't hear dgk is going out of business....

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
\

Most the kids i see skateboarding these days are riding shop boards so if that is where all of the money is, then it is no wonder all of these board brands are in trouble.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
I liked cold war too....but that's the reason why they gotta change....as bad as it sounds....zero should get a whole lot cornier.....just to get them over this hump....I don't hear dgk is going out of business....
I have a feeling DGK sells more clothing than any other board brand. While i don't like their stuff they have definitely found a way into mainstream clothing which they probably make a killing off of.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »
haha, funny thread

gnar me/ kook me SEND ME A BOARD JAYME OR JAIME!

sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
Welcome has become pretty fucking hip actually.

yapple dapple

« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »
On the bright side they get a upgrade in the wood department.

ThrillOfItAll

• Rep: -47
  • Stomp It
    • Skate Blog avatar image
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »
Zero boards use to be SOLID

I grew up riding them, and so did half my town.

I don't know where but the wood got less solid, maybe after dying to live?

To me Zero went bait gash when new blood came out, id didn't feel Zero to me any more.

The latest graphics have been done WELL no doubt, just a bit to greebo and too many nutty colours going on. As basic as the old graphics may of been, they stood out well.

Put Lopez back on, re-release the smith grind board in blue, and just shred to some rock n roll or slayer , not hip pop.

Time To Play The Game

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2014, 07:24:26 AM »
Where in the midwest are you from?

ThrillOfItAll

• Rep: -47
  • Stomp It
    • Skate Blog avatar image
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
Upper wessssiiiiiiidddddddeeeeeee
Time To Play The Game

doublesteveburger

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
I agree with what a few posters before me said about zero's vibe shifting dramatically after 'dying to live' and during 'new blood', but skateboarding was going through a strange shift at the time too and you can't blame Jamie for trying to push the brand forward. plus, 'new blood' spawned some pretty heavy-hitters (hill, brockman, sandoval, cervantes).

cold war was fucking heavy, burman's approach to skateboarding is 100% zero.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
tsss tsss yeah dwindle more like "d-lose-dle" tsss tss

U made my day w/ this

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
Hey I SUCK!

I hope this doesn't bum you out too much but I've always thought you're great.

I'd ask you out for a drink but I know you don't swing that way, so I'll just say props and I will never boycott your brand in a Chick-Fil-A kind of way. I promise not to sic the oncoming queer skate bro tidal wave on you guys either.

Your accidental friend,

GAY

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
I Think Jamie is looking for a New Deal cause its harsh in the City.

Filament.

OopsPoops

• Rep: 8
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
I Think Jamie is looking for a New Deal cause its harsh in the City.

Filament.

Would said New Deal be shown on Television?

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »
Yeah, I feel kinda Blue about it.

Hunter Maximus

• Rep: 0
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Geez Jamie, Welcome To Hell, your board brand is Dying To Live but you cannot stop following trends due to your Misled Youth, and basically you will have to make some decisions fast or it will be time to Chomp On This! At least the Thrill Of It All will be Reason to Believe that you now live in a Strange World.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:06 AM »
Jaime should call that dude on CNBC from The Profit to come in and do an overhaul. That'd be a damn good episode.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
Jaime should call that dude on CNBC from The Profit to come in and do an overhaul. That'd be a damn good episode.

Or that restaurant show with the hidden cameras...I'd love to see what hidden cameras at Black Box would catch!

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Geez Jamie, Welcome To Hell, your board brand is Dying To Live but you cannot stop following trends due to your Misled Youth, and basically you will have to make some decisions fast or it will be time to Chomp On This! At least the Thrill Of It All will be Reason to Believe that you now live in a Strange World.

nailed it

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
Prime example of how dwindling profits can color your world-view. Economics 101, but still fuct.