Author Topic: Zero & Fallen x Dwindle...  (Read 14027 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1554
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Zero & Fallen x Dwindle...
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2014, 03:40:50 AM »
Expand Quote
I think part of the reason all of these companies are folding is the fact that they constantly focus strictly on growth.  Obviously I understand you have to start small and grow over time, but when is enough enough?  Every brand I have worked for constantly pushes for yearly growth instead of focusing on maintaining a solid brand image.  Consistently adding SKUs to "fatten the line."  

I am sure many of their brands in their heyday had a respectable line with well thought out products that targeted their customer.  Now I feel it's so watered down to appeal to the mass market.  Every brand strives to grow, but I think there should be a limit...I guess that's where people get greedy and it all comes crashing down.  Oh well, I guess someone's gotta pay for Nyjah's next R8
[close]

supreme did that and look where it got them 20 years later, every drops has kids lining up for their overpriced crap.

This kind of growth in skateboarding comes down to hype. And hype dwindles as fast as it comes. There is no innovation in skateboarding industry, just some gimmick to make it look like you are at least trying to separate yourself from the pack. Just look at Element - even though they have the golden child Nyjah, I bet Bam brought in a lot more sales, just by being so hugely popular (skate and non-skate crowd).

ThrillOfItAll

• Rep: -47
  • Stomp It
    • Skate Blog avatar image
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2014, 04:53:28 AM »
Does this mean they will be dist throughout Dwindle in the UK?

No offence, but the UK distributor they had was fucking shit.
Time To Play The Game

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »
Birdo the prophet has spoken. Nobody listened.
Birdo tried to make as much money as he could from his counter corporate "Don't Do It" campaign and products all while not paying his riders. Don't be fooled.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
It just seems weird that Black Box is still a thing but Zero is no longer on it. What chance does Mystery stand really? I really hope that Slave sticks around, it's the only BB distro board I've bought in the past 5 years and I really like everything about the company.
[close]
From the interview, it seems like black box still has control of the creative direction and team, but that dwindle will distribute.
what im getting from this is Jamie is done with Black Box, and is now just gonna do Zero and Fallen, im guessing there was some investors that were a part of Black Box and Jamie prolly traded his shares of Black Box to get full control of Zero and Fallen. It always gets confusing with who owns distros, a lot of times it always seems like the owner of the main brand owns or has a heavy stake in the distro, then it always seems like that brand ends up leaving or the pro that owns the company gets fired or other crazy shit.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2014, 05:49:57 AM »
didn't someone say something about how dwindle has to own a certain percent of the company before they distribute them? is that true?
i said that, it's from a James Craig thing on here when someone asked him why don't they get Dwindle to distribute his wheels, it's probably not hard to find. I would assume with a brand as big as Zero , Jamie might have a little more bargaining power, and Jamie did say Dwindle was gonna handle finanacing for it, so it looks like all Jamie is really gonna have is the name and he'll basically be the creative director/brand manager. There's probably a multi year contract set up where if they don't like how things are over at Dwindle they can just ride out the contract and do the brand elsewhere.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It just seems weird that Black Box is still a thing but Zero is no longer on it. What chance does Mystery stand really? I really hope that Slave sticks around, it's the only BB distro board I've bought in the past 5 years and I really like everything about the company.
[close]
From the interview, it seems like black box still has control of the creative direction and team, but that dwindle will distribute.
[close]
what im getting from this is Jamie is done with Black Box, and is now just gonna do Zero and Fallen, im guessing there was some investors that were a part of Black Box and Jamie prolly traded his shares of Black Box to get full control of Zero and Fallen. It always gets confusing with who owns distros, a lot of times it always seems like the owner of the main brand owns or has a heavy stake in the distro, then it always seems like that brand ends up leaving or the pro that owns the company gets fired or other crazy shit.

Im with you on this. And I also think that it wont be long untill we see Black Box going out of bussines. Slave would probably find a new distro, but as of Mystery, I dont know. Which companies are left, Insight? I never saw their stuff in my life.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lakai through dwindle.... that was funny!!!!!!!

do some of you just skim through these interviews to get on slap to ask questions that were answered in the interview ?

dwindle producing zero. insane.
In Canada it means back to ultimate distribution! which is where zero started and was massively popular. Its exciting in a way.
[close]
what? dwindle has sales reps, ships from USA. not ultimate...
[close]

you're an idiot shut up.

dwindle only has distributions set up in the us and Oz. In other countries they use other distros. Ie: in Canada they use Ultimate, which is a very good distro.
dwindle uses the us distro, has field sales reps who place orders thru in house sales reps and ship from us.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2014, 08:04:14 AM »
Does this mean they will be dist throughout Dwindle in the UK?

No offence, but the UK distributor they had was fucking shit.

Fukd

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
I really hope they keep the Shallow Grave shape, that's my shit. I used to ride strictly Zero boards but I wanted to branch out and try new shapes and wood, but I kinda feel the need to go back. Hope everything works out.

If they no longer make that shape, try out a Slave board with the "flat head" shape. Minimal concave, and since they are from the same woodshop in Mexico, I'm sure its the exact same shape as a "shallow grave" with only a different label slapped on it. Slave is definitely a company worth supporting as well.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Zero flame boy.

Mystery wet willy.

It's a win/win.

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
as long as slave comes out clean i don't care about any other team from black box. it would be a crime to never see a pat burke board again.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
as long as slave comes out clean i don't care about any other team from black box. it would be a crime to never see a pat burke board again.
...again?

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
Dwindle will give them the plyability they need which is there issue, and they can stop beefing amongst themselves then they might be tight 8)
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I really hope they keep the Shallow Grave shape, that's my shit. I used to ride strictly Zero boards but I wanted to branch out and try new shapes and wood, but I kinda feel the need to go back. Hope everything works out.
[close]

Fuck that, hopefully they completley change their shapes. I fucking hate all blackbox shapes, and ive never owned a dwindle brand, so im psyched to see whats gonna happen in the next few months.
i really like the dwindle shapes and flat/mellow concaves, but the decks last you half as long as most other brands.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Im with you on this. And I also think that it wont be long untill we see Black Box going out of bussines. Slave would probably find a new distro, but as of Mystery, I dont know. Which companies are left, Insight? I never saw their stuff in my life.

That's how I read it too. Jamie's line about "the other brands will continue on through Black Box for now" implies that it's temporary. If Threat is done and New Balance has already moved on, the only "other brands" are Mystery and Slave. Probably safe assuming that the already stagnant Mystery will be phased out (or sold off ala Blueprint). Ben Horton has connections with Tum Yeto, so they might provide Slave with a new home.

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »

Sums up the direction of Garrett, Threat and the imminent paths of Fallen and Mystery.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Colden seems like a giant turd.

it's also my favorite shape ever after the old Mad Circle shapes...not sure who made them.  i used to feel odd as a black dude with skulls and reapers all over my board.  i slowly got hyped on it.  best of luck to zero
where is home?

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
...again?

my bad, didn't mean it like that. i want to be able to see pat burke and slave boards in the future.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they no longer make that shape, try out a Slave board with the "flat head" shape. Minimal concave, and since they are from the same woodshop in Mexico, I'm sure its the exact same shape as a "shallow grave" with only a different label slapped on it. Slave is definitely a company worth supporting as well.
Thanks I'll check it out.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
...again?
[close]

my bad, didn't mean it like that. i want to be able to see pat burke and slave boards in the future.

Dekline's coming out with a full lenght video in the next couple months, hopefully he'll turn pro by then.

JAesop

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Birdo the prophet has spoken. Nobody listened.
[close]
Birdo tried to make as much money as he could from his counter corporate "Don't Do It" campaign and products all while not paying his riders. Don't be fooled.

Yeah, that was a little sarcasm on my part.  :)
It was a bizarre obsession / marketing ploy.

mark rigby

• Rep: -10
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
...again?
[close]

[close]

Dekline's coming out with a full lenght video in the next couple months, hopefully he'll turn pro by then.
i have a feeling that slave is waiting for the video to drop so that it will have that spark

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
Zero and Fallen are the kind of brands that only two kinds of people wear and skate. The 13 year old browsing a ccs catalong and the 19 year old  that's rep flow for them.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Janoski ripoffs, halfcab ripoffs, antwaun lookalikes/ripoffs.
[close]

whats an antwaun ripoff? i loved that shoe

McGooch

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Also quite simply hardly anybody wants to work for the zero brands as is
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:39:01 PM by Julz »

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2014, 08:46:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Janoski ripoffs, halfcab ripoffs, antwaun lookalikes/ripoffs.
[close]

whats an antwaun ripoff? i loved that shoe
[close]

http://scene7.zumiez.com/is/image/zumiez/product_detail/DC-Mikey-Taylor-S-TX-Grey-%26-Gum-Skate-Shoes-_223935.jpg

[close]

How about some nice DVS inmates:

[close]

DVS throwing shots at Teflon Twuan on low.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
Zero and Fallen are the kind of brands that only two kinds of people wear and skate. The 13 year old browsing a ccs catalong and the 19 year old  that's rep flow for them.
i loved hearing stories about how there was a lot of kids in europe that were on Zero distributer flow and how they were always these Zero thug kids, all Zero gear but super big shirts and baggy ass jeans.

Davefucknike

• Rep: 0
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
They should have got back on tumyeto.