Author Topic: What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors?  (Read 21170 times)

#1 Tic-Tacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors?
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »
What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors? I understand they look cool but they're made of canvas! Even thick canvas doesn't last. How can people skate in them for more than a few hours/ollies? ??? ???

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
Well, a lot of has to do with the fact that here on the East Coast, almost all of the Supreme kids ride for them. The other reason is people really do want to skate in the thinnest shoe possible. I will say I am not really into the classic, non-skate Cons, but the CTAS's in canvas and suede are a good functional skate shoe.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »
For the same reason people skate in Vans eras.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Not everyone needs shoes that are gonna withstand a million kickflips. my next pair of shoes are gonna be some canvas ctas, simply for the fact that its winter here and i wont be skating much, and when i do, it'll probably  be when i can get time off to go to the park or hit up my after work curb spot, plus variety is always fun my dude

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
the rubber toe on cons last so long it lasted longer than a lot of my suede toe shoes.  now that they have the ctsas in suede with the rubber toe they will last a lot longer.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Are the skate ones not all that different from regular ones? What about the star players?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
Are the skate ones not all that different from regular ones? What about the star players?
the skate ones have lunarlon insoles (they used to have memory foam in the earlier ones but scrapped it lunarlon is still good tho)  and high abrasion suede.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
chuck taylors are made out of toilet paper
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

dillanharp

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Because Pony Boy Curtis invented the no comply.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
Because Pony Boy Curtis invented the no comply.

Jake

• Rep: -33
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »
Shoe goo?

I used to skate regular chuck taylors 7-8 years ago, back when slip ons were among my favorite skate shoes and I enjoyed a paper thin shoe? They had a really good sole once broken in, I remember skating that shoe surprisingly long.

Nowadays I couldn't imagine having a real session in those things beyond cruising around.

Jake

• Rep: -33
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
The CTAS' are a good skate shoe, but I'm always surprised to see dudes skating in the OG Chuck Taylors. Aren't the outsoles like 75 percent felt? I can't imagine getting the best grip with that.

Yeah maybe like a 5% layer though haha.  For a week it's the most dog shit shoe ever, super slippery and ungrippy.  Once you break through that felt you're good to go. I'd say the non skate ones have superior bottoms, longer lasting and grippier. When I had the skate ones I started balding out them out after a couple sessions. The biggest issues with the non skate ones are having a canvas sidewall and just being dumb thin.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
They make em in suede now

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »
For the same reason people skate in Vans eras.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
OG chucks quality has been slipping for a while. I had a teacher tell me in the 60's the shoes had double canvas lining and what we have now is crap. Also since I've been wearing them I'm pretty sure they added that shitty felt on the bottom of the shoe. Anybody else that's been wearing them notice any difference in quality?

nothing's been the since same

GY

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
Just get Huf Classics

j_u_i_c_y

• Rep: -5
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
OG chucks quality has been slipping for a while. I had a teacher tell me in the 60's the shoes had double canvas lining and what we have now is crap. Also since I've been wearing them I'm pretty sure they added that shitty felt on the bottom of the shoe. Anybody else that's been wearing them notice any difference in quality?

the felt is so they can import them as slippers and avoid shoe taxes

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
I haven't owned any since they stopped making them in the USA (coincidence, not political statement). They used to have decent soles, I did a lot of rock climbing in them back in the day.

I thought the felt sole ones were only for discount stores? Are they all like that?

silkyjohnson

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
anybody know how to remove the felt from converse soles got a pair laying around but the felt makes the soles slippery as fuck

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »
It's a trend, nuff' said. I had a pair of the KA high tops (which had a rubber toe-cap) like 2 years ago, they were AWFUL. Board feel was terrible and the top cap was extremely annoying. I couldn't imagine the Chuck Taylors.

Back on this trend, I now see kids go to the park and never ollie, just no-complies and wallies. It's not like I really care, it's like they're missing out on the fun in skateboarding (ollies, 50-50s, and whatnot) just to look "cool". People might claim that they're just as much fun, but like, you're going to completely avoid 90% of skateboarding because it's not "cool"? Again, I reeaaalllly don't care, I just don't understand it. Maybe I'm too mainstream.

Fecal Matter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
fuck it why do people skate at all? why is the sky blue? why do we wear pants?
WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING!?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
Its the new janoski, but waaaayyy cheaper.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
I haven't owned any since they stopped making them in the USA (coincidence, not political statement). They used to have decent soles, I did a lot of rock climbing in them back in the day.

I thought the felt sole ones were only for discount stores? Are they all like that?
That's crazy. Didn't know that was a way around taxes. Air walks and cheapy wal mart shoes have that crap

Right now there are three types of chucks out there. The 1977, CTS and "OG". Pretty sure only the "OG" has the felt crap. The cts and throwback quality 1977 models don't have the felt stuff and are better quality. Fuck those varvatos and Maybe the Purcell chucks.

nothing's been the since same

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:44 AM »
is this subject title like a Seinfeld-inspired joke?
 :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fuckmyself

• Rep: -6
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
Silky,
Are the chucks you have still brand new or have you been walking around/skating in them? Removing the felt is easiest when they are brand new. Basically you can see where the felt starts near the toe of the sole and heel; get a pocket knife (or any knife that is sturdy) and dig it in to the seam of where the felt begins, the felt is basically just a touch thicker than paper so you don't have to stab deep. Use the knife to peel the ends up to about a centimeter down from where you began and then you can just peel it straight off if you do it correctly. I have been doing this for the past year or so and it makes them pretty much perfect right away. Give it a go and let me know how that works out for you!

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
i skate the suede ctas pros, and they last tooo long.  they also mold to your feet like a slipper over time, giving you the best fit imaginable. always go a half size down.  and then there's the lunarlon...

i do wonder sometimes why people bother with the standard chucks, when cons are made to function for skating.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:45:10 AM by AssBandit »

ontheswarm

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
All the "cool" kids are doing it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
hardly art, hardly starving

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
The "its a fad" and "cool kids do it" comments are a little ironic considering that people have been skating in Chucks for as long as skateboarding has existed.

I haven't owned a pair since 1990, probably never will again, but would also never be surprised to see anyone skating in them. It looks painful but they aren't my feet so no reason to be concerned about it.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
The "its a fad" and "cool kids do it" comments are a little ironic considering that people have been skating in Chucks for as long as skateboarding has existed.

I haven't owned a pair since 1990, probably never will again, but would also never be surprised to see anyone skating in them. It looks painful but they aren't my feet so no reason to be concerned about it.

It is a trend though. Skating Classic Vans got played out to be novel skaters started picking a similar not really made for skating shoe. I have a suspicion that most skaters, or at least trendy skaters that are more visible are much more privileged these days so they can (or their parents) can afford to buy a new pair of Chuck Taylors every week.