Author Topic: What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors?  (Read 21167 times)

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
Re: What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
chuck taylors can last a lot longer than a week. a little bit of super glue in specific places can go a long way. i've skated every type of chuck taylors and i love them. they work for me and my skating. i'm not jumping or hucking these days, but then again i've always been a low impact skater. if i can't jump up it i'm not jumping down it. they work perfectly fine for flip tricks. it's a simple, aesthetically pleasing, comfortable, and easily skateable shoe
fuck you bama

vancanman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
I wear them when not skating or just cruising around. I'll definitely admit that I hadn't worn them since I was a kid before they became popular a couple of years ago. For me when I comes to really skating I find they don't have a good flick. I don't like how the sole seems to roll up at the toe. I'm assuming it makes them better to run in but for me it just doesn't feel right. When I think back on the best tricks I've ever done that didn't involve stairs it seems like I was usually wearing era's. Played out for sure but the best performing shoe ever in the two week window before the sole goes so floppy that I get heel bruises skating flat ground.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
Im currently skating a pair of canvas chuck lo's. not the skate ones, and i like them, idk why, they just work great for flip tricks, i skate alot of stairs, which is the only bad thing about them, you will be sore for days if you skate something big.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
Once you rip the felt off, put some duct tape on the inside and a little shoe goo on the outside, and they are the perfect shoe. The toe and outsole last really long.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
I just bought a pair of the "Pro Skate" lows. They are definitely more padded in the sole than regular Chucks thanks to the Lunarlon insoles - kind of like Jack Purcells on steroids. I'm not sure if I will end up skating them but that's because I'm more of a cupsole guy. I don't think the sole padding is much worse than most Vans models.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
 THEY LOOK GOOD AND ARE CHEAP I LEARNT HOW TO OLLIE ON THEM

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
I just bought a pair of the "Pro Skate" lows. They are definitely more padded in the sole than regular Chucks thanks to the Lunarlon insoles - kind of like Jack Purcells on steroids. I'm not sure if I will end up skating them but that's because I'm more of a cupsole guy. I don't think the sole padding is much worse than most Vans models.

Canvas or suede? I had some skate chuck taylor lows in canvas when they first started back up the skate shoe program, didnt like them as much as standard chucks, but they were still good. Wouldnt mind getting those new vol 4 collab ones.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
They make em in suede now

Are those the skate ones, or normal ones?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
^^ skate ones, lunarlon insole

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Canvas or suede? I had some skate chuck taylor lows in canvas when they first started back up the skate shoe program, didnt like them as much as standard chucks, but they were still good. Wouldnt mind getting those new vol 4 collab ones.

I got the canvas ones. I actually tried skating in them today and was pleasantly surprised that my heel didn't hurt but the forefoot felt incredibly thin. Thinner than regular Chucks. I realize a lot of people dig that but it was not enough padding for me to skate in for very long.

FWIW, there have apparently been about 4 different iterations of the Skate All Stars, with different insole, toes, etc.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »
The ones I can think off the top of my head are the cts, with the padded collar and tongue in all suede or canvas with rubber toe, then there's the ct ls with the thin rubber toe piece, the ct xl with the different side panel, and the more recent ctas, no little to no padding in the collar or tongue and come with lunarlon insoles

Slappy_Happy

• Rep: -11
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
I skate them cause there is no other thin shoe that is that cheap and durable.  Mine last me longer than an era pro would cause I don't mind putting shoe goo on them after every sesh.  The toe is great.  I never get through it.  Plus they look and feel great!!
the evidence seems to be in the highwaters.

dillanharp

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »
I skate them cause based on my sig and pic, I'm a dick riding, trend hopping teenager. I would gladly let Jason Dill turn me out.  Plus they look and feel great!!

That's deep son.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »
For $60 I shouldn't have to put shoe goo on a goddamn thing.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
Dragging up this old thread because I just ordered a pair of regular non-skate high-top Chucks for dirt cheap. I plan on skating in them but I知 wondering about this Felt issue people have mentioned. Where is this layer of felt and what does it look like / feel like so that I can tell if the pair I致e ordered have it or not.
Very interested to see what these are like in terms of just general comfort as well as skating. I知 29 and this is my first ever pair of converse.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
Dragging up this old thread because I just ordered a pair of regular non-skate high-top Chucks for dirt cheap. I plan on skating in them but I知 wondering about this Felt issue people have mentioned. Where is this layer of felt and what does it look like / feel like so that I can tell if the pair I致e ordered have it or not.
Very interested to see what these are like in terms of just general comfort as well as skating. I知 29 and this is my first ever pair of converse.

you'll probably feel it for a session and then once you've walked around in them a bit and skated them you won't notice anything different.

in the future if you want a good converse experience just buy the CTAS. i don't know how they are with the zoom air but with the lunarlon they're my all time favorite skate shoe. i got four pairs in boxes waiting for future me.
good come sausage

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
I used to skate in chucks in my teens, they were the best bang for your buck sneaks you could find.

hey pickle

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
i like how they look and feel and its true you can get them dirt cheap but its also true they dont last but go alot further with a bit of shoe goo. the felt on the sole is a bit weird/annoying but it wears down pretty fast

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you'll probably feel it for a session and then once you've walked around in them a bit and skated them you won't notice anything different.

in the future if you want a good converse experience just buy the CTAS. i don't know how they are with the zoom air but with the lunarlon they're my all time favorite skate shoe. i got four pairs in boxes waiting for future me.

Thanks for the response man, I値l take a look at the CTAS in future. I went for these because they were 」15 and I love the colour. Plus never having owned a pair had something to do with it too.
Is the felt on the outside of the sole or on the inner of the shoe?
I値l make sure to walk around / have a night at the Bar when I get them to break them in.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the response man, I値l take a look at the CTAS in future. I went for these because they were 」15 and I love the colour. Plus never having owned a pair had something to do with it too.
I値l make sure to walk around / have a night at the Bar when I get them to break them in.

All the Chucks I've had haven't had that felt in them. I've bought them in Finland and Germany. I think it's a US thing and they only import the felt shoes there.

I did get a pair of Emerica Indicators with felt on the bottom though and nearly killed myself cuz they were so fucking slippery but they're good now after a bit of use.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
It's this weird layer on the outsole.  It sounds super sketchy but will wear through within a couple weeks and then you'll have a really grippy pair of shoes.  If you shoe goo them they can last a good while and in my opinion they feel really good to skate.  I think in his converse part Bobby de Keyzer skates some non-skate, presumably felt-soled chucks.  They work really well in my opinion.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:09 AM »
What's the deal with people skating in Chuck Taylors? I understand they look cool but they're made of canvas! Even thick canvas doesn't last. How can people skate in them for more than a few hours/ollies? ??? ???

I personally skate them because they are made of canvas.
I don't want to skate suede/leather anymore.
Killing animals just for being able to do flips with my skateboard was just too much for me.

You will have a hole in the first layer of canvas at the first session, that's right, but if you glue / shoe goo it, they will last at least a month skating everyday.

Also, the board feel is incredible.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

and people are right, if you're outside the US maybe you don't have to worry...a lot of OG chucks have full rubber soles too, like the chuck taylor 2's or even like the leather ones they make. this is the best advice i can give you to make these feel a little more supportive.

wear them around for a night and realize the insole sucks.
take a blowdrier and use the heat to help pry up the stock insole.
put in the insole of your choice (lunarlon CTAS insole always my go to).
become the shoe goo king.
good come sausage

GET BORN

• Rep: 1
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2018, 07:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's this weird layer on the outsole.  It sounds super sketchy but will wear through within a couple weeks and then you'll have a really grippy pair of shoes.  If you shoe goo them they can last a good while and in my opinion they feel really good to skate.  I think in his converse part Bobby de Keyzer skates some non-skate, presumably felt-soled chucks.  They work really well in my opinion.
I知 confident Bobby was skating in the 70 Chuck Taylor痴, those don稚 have a felt outsole. The foxing tape was much lower than regular Chucks

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
They glue felt on the soles so they can import them at a lower tax rate as "slippers". Fun fact.

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2018, 10:31:42 PM »
+1 for the CTAS pro hi.

Insole is superb. I size a full size down when i buy 'em though.