Author Topic: Boards flattening out/ losing concave?  (Read 866 times)

Jared

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
Boards flattening out/ losing concave?
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »
I have recently been having problems with boards flattening out and losing concave. I have noticed that this happens especially with crailtap boards which is highly disappointing considering I am a fan of some of their shapes. Does anyone else have this problem?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Schismatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
Re: Boards flattening out/ losing concave?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
I'm not an expert on the behavior of solid matter but wood is fibrous and it seems logical for the soft (competitively) fibers to loosen up with time and from repeated impact. With lower quality wood this process will happen more quickly, and crailtap's wood is low quality considering it's sold in a "premium" product class.

I've noticed lately that DLX (bareback/generator) wood completely changes shape with time, and they eventually end up looking like a crailtap deck with super mellow kicks and near flat concave. Surprisingly, China made NHS boards seem to retain their curves a lot longer than most wood. I've never noticed any change with a Pennswood deck but lately I've gone back to appreciating SCM boards because it's a good middle ground. They're not as stiff as something like Pennswood but keep their shape well. If they start to soften it happens a while after I'm ready for a new one.