Author Topic: Are religious pros lame?  (Read 32459 times)

McGooch

Are religious pros lame?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
Prod, Jamie Thomas, Christian Hosoi, Sierra Fellers, Brian Sumner, Lennie Kirk

I don't care if anyone is religious, but it bothers me when they bring it into skateboarding.
Kids are super impressionable. To me its the same as ARMY ads in skate mags, it doesn't belong.
And the Prod "THANK YOU GOD" when he wins contests, Bill said it best - "what your really saying is 'THANK YOU GOD... FOR MAKING MEEEEE!''

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
Re: Are religious pros lame?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
Are you calling Lance Mountain lame?

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Prod, Jamie Thomas, Christian Hosoi, Sierra Fellers, Brian Sumner, Lennie Kirk

I don't care if anyone is religious, but it bothers me when they bring it into skateboarding.
Kids are super impressionable. To me its the same as ARMY ads in skate mags, it doesn't belong.
And the Prod "THANK YOU GOD" when he wins contests, Bill said it best - "what your really saying is 'THANK YOU GOD... FOR MAKING MEEEEE!''

Honestly, most of that stuff doesn't bother me. Especially people like P-rod, jamie, hosoi, etc. They don't really bring it into their skateboarding. If you ask them about their religious beliefs, they'll probably share and are open to share when asked, but won't force it upon others.

Brian Sumner is probably an exception because he seems to be pretty evangelical about his christianity. He'll do christian tours and things where he goes out and preaches and stuff. He did one many years ago in my town and I went to one. Nothing too crazy, just a skate demo and then went on to speak and pray and all that shit. I don't really see any harm in it. It's not hurting anybody, if he wants to do that, then its fine.

Plus you won't see people like jamie thomas or josh harmony even ever talking about it really unless specifically asked.

Religious pros are not lame at all. As long as their skating is in the forefront of what they do in the skate world, which is true in most cases, then I am totally fine with any religion any skater has.

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
Is eternal salvation lame, mr. man?

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
thou shalt not speak ill of leonard kirk.

McGooch

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »

Honestly, most of that stuff doesn't bother me. Especially people like P-rod, jamie, hosoi, etc. They don't really bring it into their skateboarding. If you ask them about their religious beliefs, they'll probably share and are open to share when asked, but won't force it upon others.

Brian Sumner is probably an exception because he seems to be pretty evangelical about his christianity. He'll do christian tours and things where he goes out and preaches and stuff. He did one many years ago in my town and I went to one. Nothing too crazy, just a skate demo and then went on to speak and pray and all that shit. I don't really see any harm in it. It's not hurting anybody, if he wants to do that, then its fine.

Plus you won't see people like jamie thomas or josh harmony even ever talking about it really unless specifically asked.

Religious pros are not lame at all. As long as their skating is in the forefront of what they do in the skate world, which is true in most cases, then I am totally fine with any religion any skater has.

Google jamie thomas cross. Dozens of christian themed skate products.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
Jesus pushed mongo.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
Doesn't really bother me, but not going to lie, my opinion of anyone dips if I find out they are religious. The more you really think about religion, the more ridiculous it is on so many levels its hard to know where to begin. There have been over 2000 religions, all incompatible, and yet everyone thinks theirs is the one true version, without any evidence naturally.  

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Google jamie thomas cross. Dozens of christian themed skate products.

yeah but that's not the same in my opinion. crosses are pretty broad imagery, I understand the jesus graphic he did was a little blunt but it wasn't like he was telling kids how to think or to become christian. Zero always has this skull and crossbones super gnar image so I always thought it was almost blasphemic to christianity when jamie came out with those considering the jesus image and zero image don't really coincide. Aside from some graphics, Zero is pretty much much all about skating which is pretty cool considering jamie runs the whole thing. Or at least did.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
Anytime I hear anyone talking about their religion I am instantly uninterested, if they start preaching I really don't want to hear it. Same goes for pro skaters. I'll happily watch them skate and that should be what they are about in the public eye but if they start going on about their religion, I'm out. I've seen a few videos like that from a few pro skaters and they may be well intentioned but they certainly err on the side of preaching and that's not cool at all. If they start preaching to kids through skateboarding I certainly start to lose some respect for them.

Honestly I had forgotten Jamie Thomas was religious at all because it never comes up, it's a personal thing and he keeps it that way and thats good.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »
the obnoxious 'satan/666' attention seeking dudes are just as awful as the religious dudes.

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
Anytime I hear anyone talking about their religion I am instantly uninterested, if they start preaching I really don't want to hear it.
This.
I'm all for religion as long as you arn't trying to force feed me it. Same goes for atheists for that matter because I don't see how it's any different, your just force feeding another person your beliefs.

the obnoxious 'satan/666' attention seeking dudes are just as awful as the religious dudes.

I also agree.
If Jamie Thomas wants to put a big picture of Jesus on his board than he can, it's what he believes in.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

McGooch

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »

That too is a bit much. Not as awful though because the satan worshippers are joking while the god worshippers are serious to the point they deny science to justify bible.

Here's Sierra spouting off about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjBz3I5DD4

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »
I don't care what people believe so long as they don't assume a stance of superiority based on their ideologies.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »
Chad Tim Tim had one of those stupid christian skater videos and he's still cool. I think Ray Barbee did too.
The Christian Faith of Skateboarder Chad Tim Tim - CBN.com
Religion hurts everyone all the time. Remember that when NASA gets denied funding, legislators make it harder to get an abortion, and homogays can't visit their significant other in the hospital on their death beds. Religion has many functions, many very positive. Religion served as comfort when we had no answers. It brought people together around a common belief. It has made masses rise to ideals greater than the self. The problem is I think at this juncture in human history, we need to put it down like the rabid dog it is because it does more harm than good.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

David Puddy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
Can we include Berra or is this a Christian-only group?

McGooch

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »

I was going to address this in the topic, but didn't want to bring it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isU-tIIORyw

No. But again, when you bring jesus into skateboarding, it's lame.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:53:52 AM by McGooch »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 02:23:54 AM »
Richard Jefferson is lame as fuck, total kook

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:25 AM »
The type of "religion in skateboarding" that is being discussed here has always struck me as more of a west coast phenomenon. Not exclusively, but you not really gonna catch these skate churches and "worship & shred" type situations out east. I've always wondered about
Why that is. Sure there are plenty of east coast pros who will wear a cross on a chain or whatever, but it tends to be an artifact of upbringing (or style) rather than a deliberate religious stance.

I find religion interesting when faith is used as a tool to ask questions rather than answer them. If you've "got it all figured out" you're a fucking kook regardless of who you do (or don't) pray to.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »
A large part of Christianity is spreading the word of God and helping others to find Jesus, so honestly if they never talked about it they wouldn't be true Christians.

I mean I don't see why you would criticize someone for their beliefs that's probably the lamest thing ever. You do understand that you were insinuating that Paul Rodriguez should not thank God after he wins a contest. What is wrong with you? Who cares what he does, what he beleives? Who are you to say that he is thanking God for himself? You've seen him pray into his hat before every trick, he beleives his faith in God is giving him the strength do what he's doing and who are you to say he's wrong? He's obviously had a successful life and career, he feels he is blessed and feels God/Jesus has blessed him, I guess you would just call it talent or luck but he doesn't therefore that's like the opposite of arrogance. Also if you're psyched on something and it's a big part of your life you're going to talk about it and it may end up on your board graphic one way of another and that goes for religion too.

Threads like this make me sick. Skateboarding is about individuality and freedom in the purest sense and that seems to be ok with you as long as it doesn't involve religion, namely Christianity. True practicing Christians are some of the nicest people you will meet, there are certainly more negative things to be into. For instance the Austyn 'coke' thread mostly has responses defending drug use or claiming "it's not big deal everyone does it" but when it's a thread about religion and Christianity everyone jumps in saying how lame it is and how this should stop. Do you see the issue I have here?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:17 AM »
How far do you want to take it ?

Snorting coke at the club once a month isnt really a big deal , but on the other side you have big drug lords giving people jobs to produce / smuggle narcotics to places , people being forced to cooperate , kidnappings , murders , drug wars where police , soldiers and civilians are dying .

But in away its still just snorting coke at the club

Going to church once a week isnt really a big deal , BUT !

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was going to address this in the topic, but didn't want to bring it up.

Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isU-tIIORyw

No. But again, when you bring jesus into skateboarding, it's lame.
You're not going to see this type of bullshit unless you seek it out. Slap feels like TMZ or some shit sometimes. Stop concerning yourself with pro's personal lives.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
 I ve never met a religious person that is not lame. The problem is that religion tends to numb your brain because everything is god's will or god has his ways, so you dont have to think. I really hate it when I think that this kind of thinking in a large scale affects me through politics, many politicians get a free pass just because they preach god's will and all these sentimental bullshit and religious people accept it. Most poor conservatives are religious.

Christianism when first appeared wasnt like that, actually it was revolutionary and forward thinking. Actually what we have today is the christianism that was integrated into the system and became part of it centuries ago.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 04:36:44 AM »
Stop concerning yourself with pro's personal lives.

plod

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:34 AM »
Doesn't really bother me, but not going to lie, my opinion of anyone dips if I find out they are religious. The more you really think about religion, the more ridiculous it is on so many levels its hard to know where to begin. There have been over 2000 religions, all incompatible, and yet everyone thinks theirs is the one true version, without any evidence naturally.  

I agree with this, I don't want to hate on people's beliefs but I really struggle with religon, it seems so crazy to me.  People have no problem  dismissing Scientology as ridiculous but I see all religon that way.

So yeah they go down a bit in my estimation, or I just thnk they are weird.

Lance never mention's it though that I have seen.

plod

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »
Chad Tim Tim had one of those stupid christian skater videos and he's still cool. I think Ray Barbee did too.
The Christian Faith of Skateboarder Chad Tim Tim - CBN.com
Religion hurts everyone all the time. Remember that when NASA gets denied funding, legislators make it harder to get an abortion, and homogays can't visit their significant other in the hospital on their death beds. Religion has many functions, many very positive. Religion served as comfort when we had no answers. It brought people together around a common belief. It has made masses rise to ideals greater than the self. The problem is I think at this juncture in human history, we need to put it down like the rabid dog it is because it does more harm than good.

Did you write that? Or is it a quote, you Nailed it if you did.

cousinharold

• Rep: -63
    • muckmouth avatar image
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:53 AM »
Lennie Kirk did it properly, the rest are quite annoying.

Sumner is the worst. In saying that, Grind was one of the best movies ever made. So every cloud.
I aint gonna get a job at El Pollo Loco, they'll make me tuck my shirt in.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 05:18:59 AM »
I always thought it was pretty lame that Jesus found it necessary to flex his abs the whole time that he was on the cross. What a vain shitbag.

If it had been me I would have just slipped some mushroom tip out from my loin cloth and made as much eye contact as possible. Maybe that's why nobody practices McShamebaganity.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:55 AM »
I always thought it was pretty lame that Jesus found it necessary to flex his abs the whole time that he was on the cross. What a vain shitbag.

If it had been me I would have just slipped some mushroom tip out from my loin cloth and made as much eye contact as possible. Maybe that's why nobody practices McShamebaganity.
I'll follow you, just tell me what to do.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 06:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Anytime I hear anyone talking about their religion I am instantly uninterested, if they start preaching I really don't want to hear it.
[close]
This.
I'm all for religion as long as you arn't trying to force feed me it. Same goes for atheists for that matter because I don't see how it's any different, your just force feeding another person your beliefs.

Expand Quote
[close]

I also agree.
If Jamie Thomas wants to put a big picture of Jesus on his board than he can, it's what he believes in.

believe what you want to beleive but if someone talks about any religion i instantly switch off/walk away.. no time for that shit

religion teaches us to be ok with not understanding the world- Louis CK